Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

realistic answer please! 17, too late??
By chlo_p
On Wed Apr 19, 2006 03:20 AM

i started dance when i was about 10, where i did tap, jazz and ballet. i only did this for a bout 2 years but have regretted quitting ever since. i am now 17 and have had one of those reality checks. i love to dance and would love to take it up again. i just want to know, by taking dance up again now, preferably ballet and jazz, at 17, will it be too late by the time im good enough to go to a proper dance school/academy. and is there any advice you can give me for improving my ability?
thanks

5 Replies to realistic answer please! 17, too late??

re: realistic answer please! 17, too late??
By dance_princess05
On Fri Apr 28, 2006 03:09 AM
Idon't know...I'd say try dancing for at least a few year, because you'll improve in flexiablity and you'll become a better dancer if you practice and train hard to reach your goal.
By swedance
On Fri Apr 28, 2006 04:02 AM
Edited by swedance (154309) on 2006-04-28 04:07:14
It depends on your body type and talent, but I would say in general that 17 isn´t too late for a career in jazz (esp. if you have danced a little before) but a career in ballet will be extremely difficult.

There are schools that take dancers in their early 20´s so you have a few years to catch up.

The best thing to do is try it and see what it feels like and what your teachers say. Even if you can´t be a pro, dancing can be a great hobby so you have nothing to loose :) !
By torinahmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 29, 2006 05:39 AM
wow pretty much the same thing happened to me . . i started when i was about 10 danced for 2 and a half years then gave it up, regretted it for a few years and then i started again last year at aged 16. I say go for it.
By Jess_Bessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 29, 2006 06:34 AM
As long as you have the motivation to do it, I beleive you can go as far as you want to. It's never to late to try!
By AbbetheSieyes
On Wed May 31, 2006 06:43 PM
I don't know what your goals in dancing are, but it is never to late to start dancing, especially if you've already had some training. Depending on what your want and how much you can remember you can either join a class of your own age or of adults. If you are motivated and willing to learn, as corny as it seems, any studio will want you. Best of Luck!

ReplySendWatch