Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Girls Only PG-13
Girls puberty FAQ (karma: 16)
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1585, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 07:32 AM
Edited by Ballet_Lover101 (129574) on 2006-04-21 07:44:14
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-04-25 21:49:44

Your Cycle

What goes on in that miraculous body of yours in any given 28 days? Read on.

The very short version:

Egg ripens. Egg leaves ovary. Egg travels down the fallopian tube toward uterus. If egg goes unfertilized, you get your period.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18v4o.gif'

The long version:
Day 1 of your Menstrual Cycle: Your period starts.
For whatever reason, Day 1 of your period cycle is counted as the first day you see that telltale spot of blood. Generally this happens every 28 days or so (though like everything else, cycles vary by person). If in that time the egg in your uterus does not get fertilized by a sperm, the egg disintegrates and is expelled from your body. On Day 1, your period cramps are probably at their worst as your uterus contracts to push out the egg and the cells and blood that nurtured and fed the egg as it grew.

Day 1 to 14 of your Menstrual Cycle: Called the estrogen phase of your monthly cycle.
The day you get your period, your body's estrogen level is at its lowest, and from there it starts to go up. Your brain sends a signal to your pituitary gland, which releases a hormone called FSH, or Follicle Stimulating Hormone. When the follicles in your ovaries sense the FSH, they munch happily away at it. This makes them produce estrogen. The estrogen causes one of the hundreds of tiny, slumbering eggs inside the ovaries to start developing.

Day 2-5 of your Menstrual Cycle: Bleeding, bleeding, bleeding.
Less so each day.

Day 6 of your Menstrual Cycle: Egg be gone!
The bleeding has usually stopped by now. Meanwhile, the stimulated, FSH-happy egg is maturing and getting ready for ovulation.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18voo.gif'

Day 7-12 of your Menstrual Cycle: La, la, la, you go about
your life.
The egg, meanwhile, is growing, and the follicle is expanding to accommodate it. The follicle is still producing estrogen, which makes the lining of your uterus nice and puffy and spongy--if you were to get pregnant, this lining would provide the fertilized egg with the food it needs to grow into a baby.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18vuf.gif'

Day 13-14 of your Menstrual Cycle: Ovulation!!
The new egg has reached maturity and exits the follicle just rarin' to go. You might actually feel it when you ovulate--a little twinge or cramp in your lower abdomen or back. It's called mittelschmerz, which is German for "middle pain." You may see a teeny drop of blood. This is probably fine, but if you're concerned, see your doctor. Your body temperature rises up to one degree and stays up until you get your period. The natural mucus covering your cervix (the entrance to your uterus) starts to thin out so the sperm can get through and fertilize the egg.

Day 15-18 of your Menstrual Cycle: The egg takes a trip.
The days when the egg travels down the fallopian tube, usually Days 12-17 or so, are when you're most likely to get pregnant. While the egg's in the tube, your estrogen level drops again and the follicles begin producing progesterone. Unsurprisingly, this is called the progesterone phase.

Day 19-20 of your Menstrual Cycle: Your uterus prepares for pregnancy. The progesterone makes the fluid around your cervix thicken up again and tells your uterus to build up the protein, sugar and blood necessary to nourish a fertilized egg. Progesterone is a big ingredient in PMS, so you may start feeling a little crabby and your skin might break out a little.

Day 21-28: The progesterone and estrogen are still increasing, so you may feel soreness in your breasts, bloating and food cravings. One theory holds that your body hankers for carbohydrates because they'd come in handy if you were indeed pregnant. You might want to avoid salt right now, because if you're bloated already, salt will make you retain even more water. If the egg remains unfertilized, your estrogen and progesterone levels drop, and both the egg and the endometrium dissolve. Cramps begin, bringing you back to Day 1: Your period starts.

Becoming a Woman

You got your period. For the very first time. Congrats! You're growing up. You may have heard some people talk about menstruation like it's gross. Or it's a pain. Or it messes up your life. Here's the bottom line. Menstruation is what makes human life possible. And that's pretty cool! It makes women unique from men. It's a part of life. And it's something you'll have to deal with every month. Luckily, in the 21st century, a period doesn't have to be a big deal. Prepare yourself with products that fit and protect better than ever and information that can help you understand the emotional side of menstruation. You don't ever have to let a period stop you from being you.

Big Changes
Your body is maturing. Evolving. Preparing for the next stage of life. You're transforming from a girl to a woman. Can you feel it? The more you know about how your body works, the more comfortable you'll be with these changes. Knowledge is power and that's a great feeling to have.

Small Changes
From about ten years old to around 20, your body really changes. Daily. You won't always notice these small changes. But let's just say that at the end of puberty, you're nothing like you were when you started. Everyone grows up, but not at the same age. Or the same rate. You may have friends with smaller hips, larger breasts, more hair, less hair. Whatever. You get the idea.

Five Stages of Puberty

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18wp4.gif' Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18y6c.gif' Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18y8x.gif'

Five overlapping stages. That's one easy way to divide the years that make up puberty. Remember, everyone grows at their own pace. Here's an idea of what to expect.

At Stage One (ages 8 to 11)
Same outside. Big changes inside. Your ovaries are maturing. Your brain has stimulated the release of hormones that you'll need later for menstrual and baby-making functions.

Stage Two (ages 8 to 14)
Changes start on the outside. Breasts develop. The nipples and surrounding area called the areola, are getting darker and growing a little bigger. Pubic hairs appear. You'll probably grow taller. Your hips, thighs and butt may begin to fill out. Don't worry about a little extra weight. That's right. Don't worry. You're supposed to put on a few pounds. Why? A certain amount of increased body fat will help you develop properly. It's normal. Keep feeling good about your body. Stay active. Eat right. For more information, check out our section on taking care of your body.

Stage Three (ages 9 to 15)
Outward changes continue. Breasts and pubic hair keep growing. You're getting taller. Hormones kick in. Your vagina begins producing discharge. It's part of a natural cleansing process, so banish the word "disgusting" from your vocabulary right now, please.

Stage Four (ages 10 to 16)
Your body takes on a more mature look - nipple development, coarser pubic hair and more of it. And say hello to underarm hair!

The biggest change is happening internally. Your ovaries are growing and may even begin producing eggs. The result? Your first period.

Stage Five (ages 12 to 19)
You're all grown up. At least on the outside. Your breasts get to be their full size. Your pubic hair is all there, and you've pretty much stopped growing. If you haven't already started your period, it should begin during this stage.

Wait. There's More.

Raging hormones plus increased underarm hair growth equals a fragrant new underarm smell. B.O. Body Odor. Definitely yucky. Fortunately, there's deodorant. Problem solved. A wonderland of fresh rain, meadow, baby powder and spring dew roll-on, stick and spray deodorant/antiperspirant options is now open to you.

Pimples. Otherwise known as "zits." Why do they always come at the very worst times? Like right before a Friday night out with friends. Stop blaming the chocolate and french fries. These little bumps on puberty road are a result of hormones. For most of us, they're a passing stage. If over-the-counter treatments aren't effective, a visit to a dermatologist usually helps.

A final word about mood swings. Hormones are POWERFUL. Don't underestimate the power of hormone surges over your emotions. They can really increase the intensity of your feelings. Have you ever totally lost your cool over something that's not important? Blame those hormones. Why do you need to know this? So you can recognize what's happening next time you're riding an emotional rollercoaster. Don't be scared. These ups and downs are a natural part of puberty and the monthly menstrual cycle. Develop healthy ways to cope. Check out the pms section of this site for suggestions.

Menstruation Q&A

Once a month, Mother Nature has a really twisted sense of humor. 9 times out of 10, she'll make sure your period falls on the weekend. Oh, yeah. She's a real riot. But, you know, your period doesn't have to trash your life. It's annoying, but it isn't the end of the world. Here's a list of commonly asked questions about menstruation. The answers can help put your period in perspective. (And keep Mother Nature from spoiling your weekend).

Q. What's your most embarrassing period story?
A. "My friend went to her boyfriend's parents' house for the first time, had a lovely chat in their clean living room, and got up from their white couch to discover...well, you can imagine."

Q. What's the deal with PMS?
A. PMS, stands for premenstrual syndrome. A few days before your period, you may start feeling some soreness or heaviness in your breasts. Your stomach may feel bloated. You may get a few pimples. And thanks to fluctuating hormone levels, you may be more crabby, sad or emotional than usual. It all sounds too fabulous for words, but for most women it's not that big a deal. Some women have PMS problems, and some women have no problems at all. Exercise and hot baths can help level out the mood swings. Some natural health types swear by vitamin B, herb teas and massage. If your PMS is so horrible it seems to be getting in the way of your enjoyment of life, ask your doctor for options.

Q. My breasts always hurt right before my period. Why? How can I prevent this?
A. Your estrogen and progesterone--you know, the hormones coursing through your system that are responsible for those womanly changes--are fluctuating, causing fluid to build up in your breasts, making them sore and heavy-feeling. Totally normal. You could try over-the-counter PMS medicine, avoiding salt and caffeine, even wearing a nice supportive jogbra if your breasts really bother you.

Q. How much blood do I lose during a period? A gallon?
A. It varies a lot. For most women, it's around four tablespoons, but for some, it's as much as a cup. (If you're bleeding more than that, soaking tampon after tampon or pad after pad all day long, see your doctor.) Sometimes the blood is red, sometimes it's brown, sometimes it's streaky, sometimes it's got some darker bits in it. Variety is normal (hey, it's the spice of life). Every girl is different.

Q. I heard I can actually get pregnant during my period???
A. You heard right. Women with very short (21 days or so) or irregular cycles may well be ovulating while they're still bleeding. (See Your Cycle section of the site for a complete explanation of how your cycle works.) Or if you have more questions regarding fertility and your period, talk to your doctor.

Q. What can I do about menstrual cramps during my period?
A. Menstrual cramps vary a lot in intensity, from woman to woman and even from cycle to cycle. You can take aspirin or other non-prescription painkillers, do mild exercise (stretches are good), or zone out with a book or video. Warmth is often helpful; try taking a hot bath or putting a heating pad on your stomach or lower back. You can also get your mother, your sister, or a friend to rub your stomach, which can be very gratifying. If your cramps are truly double-up nasty, talk to a health-care professional about prescription treatment options.

Q. What if my flow is really heavy and I have to use lots of pads?
A. It's probably just that…a heavy flow, which can often happen the first day or two. For some girls, a heavy flow is normal. If you have a prolonged heavy flow, you should check with your doctor.

Q. Will I have to stay quiet and stop my activities such as sports when I have my period?
A. No, do your normal activities. In fact, the more active you are, the less likely you are to have cramps.

Q. How often will I get my period?
A. Every 28 days is average, but your cycle can range anywhere between 21 and 45 days. At first, your period will probably be irregular. The time between when you get it, the length of time you have it, and the amount of flow will all vary. As your body adjusts to this new change, your period will settle into a regular pattern; this can take a year or two. It's a good idea to mark your periods on a calendar, so you can get used to following your own cycle.

Q. Can I go swimming when I have my period?
A. Yes, you can go swimming. You should not wear a pad, however, because it will just soak up the water. If you do go swimming, you should wear a tampon, but you should talk this over with your parent or other responsible adult before trying this.
Please see Questions and Answers about Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). Or, check out Important Information about Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Q. Will other people know I'm having my period?
A. There's no reason for others to know when you're having your period. (Unless you want to tell them.) Regular bathing, proper use of pads and/or tampons, and loose, comfortable clothes will all help keep your period from being noticeable.

Q. Can I take a bath when I have my period?
A. Definitely. In fact, a bath or a shower is really important at this time to keep you clean and to fight off any odors that may occur.

Q. What is menstruation, anyway?
A. Biologically speaking, menstruation is your monthly opportunity to create a baby. When your body first becomes able to produce a child, usually between the ages of 9 and 16, it begins preparation once a month for possible motherhood. This time in your life is known as menarche ("muh-NAR-key"). A tiny egg matures in one of your ovaries, then travels down a fallopian tube toward your uterus. Your uterus, meanwhile, has been preparing for the egg's arrival, and its lining has gotten thick and velvety. If the arriving egg is fertilized by a sperm, your uterus is all set to protect and nourish it for the next nine months. Then (ta da!) you have a baby. If the egg doesn't get fertilized,then your uterus has no use for that thick, spongy lining. So it sheds the lining and flushes it out -- along with some blood, body fluids, and the disintegrated egg. For 3 to 6 days each month, all this stuff flows out of your body through your vagina as reddish-brown menstrual flow. After the onset of menstruation, you'll usually have a menstrual period about every 28 days (except during pregnancy), although your cycle may vary anywhere from 20 to 35 days. Skipping ahead about 40 years, when your body enters menopause, your ovaries stop producing eggs and your periods stop.

Q. What does it mean if my period is late or irregular?
A. Your period may be irregular through the first year or two. But after that, when you've begun to menstruate regularly, missing a period may be a sign of pregnancy (if you've been sexually active). Other causes of irregularity may be stress, a change in your diet or an increase in exercise, or drug use. If none of these apply to you, or if you're still concerned, check with your physician.
Q. Why do I feel crabby and sad just before my period starts?
A. Some women feel moody, anxious or depressed for several days before their period. These feelings are part of a group of symptoms known as Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS). Some women don't experience PMS at all; others experience it in varying degrees. Other symptoms may include headaches, backaches, pimples, nausea and food cravings. Remember, not everyone experiences these difficulties, but for the women who do, they're very real. They're due to the hormonal changes that take place prior to menstruation. Never fear, PMS symptoms will disappear when your period begins. Your hormone levels even out and you feel fine again. The emotions and problems that seemed overwhelming suddenly feel manageable. When you get to know your own cycle, you begin to be able to predict when PMS symptoms will hit; knowing where they're coming from and when to expect them will help you handle them better. If yours are particularly intense, though, you might want to talk to your doctor about treatment options.

Q. Why do I feel fat during my period?
A. Just before and during your period, your body may tend to retain water. This added fluid might make you feel fat or make your breasts feel tender. Actually, it's normal to gain a couple of pounds during this time of the month -- and lose them right after your period. If you feel bloated, you may feel better wearing loose, comfortable clothing. Avoiding salt immediately before and during your period is also a good idea; salt increases water retention.

Q. What if I bleed through my clothes?
A. Well, it happens to almost all of us at one time or another. Just tie a sweater or jacket around your waist to cover any possible stain. (If you don't have a sweater on you, ask a girlfriend to borrow hers. This is what sisterhood is all about!) Then get yourself a tampon or pad, head to the bathroom, do what you have to do and scrub out any noticeable spot. Voila. For future reference, you might want to stash an extra pair of undies in your locker and wear dark clothes on days when you're expecting your period or when your flow is at its heaviest.

Going to the Gyno

Going to the gynecologist. Yippee! Honestly, it probably ranks the same as trying on a bathing suit on your "things I hate to do" list. You know the importance of gyno exams. Your health depends on it. So hate it. Loathe it. Look forward to it. Just please remember to do it.

Whether you're a Pap smear pro or you've scheduled your first visit, here's a quick look at what to expect during a typical gynecological exam along with some useful tips.

The Appointment
You called. You made the appointment. Way to go! Next, plan on asking all those questions you've stored up since your last gyno visit. Become an informed patient. Be your own advocate. Ensure that you're getting the best possible gynecological care. Below are some guidelines to help you get the thorough check-up you deserve.

Q. When is the best time to schedule a gyno exam ?
A. Generally it's the week after your period. Breasts tend to be least lumpy, so the breast exam will be as painless as possible and any serious lumps will be easiest to feel. The worst time is the week before your period. Breasts may be swollen and sore. You can have a pelvic exam during your period, but try to avoid it. The presence of blood makes Pap smears hard to read.

Q. How should you prepare for your first gyno visit ?
A. Don't use yeast medications, spermicides or douches 24 hours before your exam. If you're sexually active, it's best not to have sex the day before. Write your questions down so you don't forget when you get in the office. When you arrive, ask if they will want a urine specimen. If not, urinate before you see the doctor. The gyno examination will be more comfortable.

Q. What should the doctor know?
A. Be honest. Don't withhold health information because you're embarrassed. Doctors are professionals. They need to have all the facts to take care of you properly. Most will tell you that they've seen it all. With that in mind, make sure your doctor knows:
Your family's medical history

Your sexual and gynecological history - don't leave anything out

If you're using birth control or are at risk for a sexually transmitted disease

If you've had unprotected or forced intercourse

If you've experienced any unusual bleeding

If you've had any discomfort or itchiness
Go ahead and ask your questions. Remember that list you wrote up before your appointment? Pull it out of your purse and refer to it so you don't forget something in the stress of the moment. Make sure you understand the doctor's explanation. Ask until you understand.

Q. What's with the breast exam?
A. Your doctor should spend at least 30 seconds on each breast. You should definitely be doing self breast exams at home to familiarize yourself with your own anatomy and to notice any changes or lumps. Lumps are often fibroids or cysts, but the more comfortable you are with examining your breasts, the more likely you are to find any growths or tumors.
Your doctor will want to take special care if you have a family history of breast cancer. If you have a family history of breast cancer or disease, ask about mammograms. The American Cancer Society recommends one mammogram by age 40 and a mammogram every year or two after. Teenage girls generally don't have to worry about mammograms yet, but now is the perfect time to start doing breast self breast exams. Not sure how to do a self-exam? It's easy. Your doctor can show you how. Request a card or pamphlet with how-to information to refer back to at home.

Q. How can you get the most thorough pelvic exam?
A. The Pelvic Exam. Here goes. It's not usually anyone's favorite part of the appointment. But, for the sake of good health, you can do it once a year. And it can be made easier.
Breathe deep. Count the dots in the tiles on the ceiling. Let your mind wander. Make small talk. Do whatever it takes to relax your muscles. Relaxation makes the whole thing more comfortable for you. As the gynecological exam begins, most doctors will tell you what he or she is seeing. If not, just ask what's happening. "Everything look normal?" is a great question. The doctor will first examine the external surface of your vagina, feeling for bumps or sores. These might be an indication of an ingrown hair, a blocked gland, a herpes blister, or a genital wart. Next a speculum, a device that holds the walls of the vagina open, will be inserted. The doctor will examine your vaginal walls for sores and inflammation and your cervix for discharge, signs of infection and damage. He or she will probably take a Pap smear, a little scraping of cervical cells. It doesn't hurt but might feel weird. Afterward, a little spotting is normal, but tell your doctor if it's more than a few droplets of blood. In the (recent) past, there have been some problems with reading Pap smears. Today there are laws about how many slides a cytologist (a cell-sample slide-reader) can read per day. If you would like to know the specifics, just ask your doctor.

Next is the manual exam. The doctor inserts two gloved, lubricated fingers into your vagina while pressing gently on your abdomen. This is how she or he checks out the surface of your uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. It usually doesn't hurt. Try to relax. Breathe slowly and deeply.

Finally, a rectal exam. Yep, that's right. If your doctor doesn't make this exam a regular practice, ask for it. It may sound bizarre to actually request this, but it's important. This step, in which one finger is in the vagina and the other is in the rectum, helps detect rectal lesions and growths (an early sign of colon cancer) and also helps point out endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and the alignment of the uterus and other pelvic organs.

Q. Anything else?
A. The doctor should summarize the outcome of your gyno exam, and give you a chance to ask more questions. Find out when you can expect the results of your Pap test, and have them mailed to you (call if you don't get them). Now is a good time to discuss any other health concerns you have. If the doctor seems to be in a hurry, find out if there is another time in the week when you can talk in more detail. Getting your questions answered is important.
Be your own advocate. You should not feel awkward, uncomfortable or dissatisfied with your physician/patient relationship. If that's the case, check your health insurance plan to see if changing doctors is an option. This is your health. Nothing in life is more important.

Q. What if I get a prescription?
A. You should know what you're taking. Some questions: What is this? What does it do? Any foods I should avoid while taking it? Any other drugs interact badly with this? How long do I have to take this? Will I need to refill the prescription or make another appointment to see you? Is there a generic version that's cheaper?
That's it! Just be aware and assertive. Most doctors will appreciate your interest in taking care of yourself.

Women's Anatomy

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18z7p.gif'

Welcome to the land down under, and that doesn't mean Australia. You guessed it. This is information central on the female reproductive anatomy. A chance to take a peek. Yeah, the idea may be frightening, especially if anatomy has never been your subject. This is painless. And interesting. And you can wow your doctor with some new vocabulary at the next visit.

Outer Genitals
The best way to learn is to look. O.k., these parts are totally in an inconvenient place for easy visual access, and maybe you've never even seen them before. You might be more comfortable with referring to the illustrations on your screen. If you want to take a look at the real thing, the next step is to print this section out and get a mirror and flashlight to hold between your legs. This may seem awkward and embarrassing, but it's really just a part of you. There is really nothing to be embarrassed about.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w18zg9.gif'

Ready?
On the outside, that whole area you're looking at is called the vulva or "external genitalia."At the top of the genital region, where your pubic hair is, you'll feel a round bone called the mons. Now look below. See the soft flaps of skin? These are the labia majora (outer lips). In young girls, these are small and smooth. In developed girls and adult women, they're darker and wrinklier and covered with pubic hair. Inside the protective outer lips, you'll find another, more delicate pair of lips called the labia minora (inner lips). There's a lot of variation in appearance here: Some women's inner lips are bigger than their outer ones, some are more wrinkled or paler or darker. Like everything else in life, one size does not fit all.
Between your inner lips, high up, is a protective fold of skin. This is called the clitoral hood. Gently pull it back. Find the teeny, round bulge? This is your clitoris, which plays an important, positive role in a woman's sexuality. The clitoris is rich with nerve endings and extremely sensitive.

Continue on down to the urethra. See it? It's that small opening right below your clitoris. This is where urine comes out. Below your urethra, you'll see a larger opening, which is your vagina, the pathway in and out of your reproductive system. It may be partially covered by your hymen, a thin stretch of skin. Some young women don't have a hymen at all. Others have stretched it or torn it using tampons or exercising. Some hymens tear naturally in childhood, some during puberty. Some hymens have one hole, others have several. A hymen is not an indicator of virginity at all. A virgin is someone who hasn't had sexual intercourse. Plenty of virgins have barely-noticeable hymens; non-virgins may even have intact, though stretched, hymens.

Reproductive Organs

The Vagina
The vaginal opening is the connection between your external and internal genitals. Check it out. If you insert a finger, you can feel the moist walls. Generally speaking, the vagina is a canal that measures about 3 to 5 inches in length from the vaginal opening to the cervix--the lower part of the uterus.
Stretchable. That's the vagina. It can accommodate a tampon and allow a baby to come through. The vagina is also an incredibly clean organ. Thanks to your body's own natural secretions, it flushes out dead cells. The helpful cleansing fluid, which can be clear or whitish, depending on the time of the month, is known as discharge. While some vaginal discharge has a slight smell--fishy or spicy--there are some things to watch out for. It shouldn't have a strong bad odor. It shouldn't appear green or deep yellow. It shouldn't be itchy or burning. And, it shouldn't be extra-clumpy or full of blood (unless you have your period.) If you have any of these symptoms, talk to your healthcare provider immediately.

The Cervix
The cervix is the next stop. Reach as far back as you can into your vagina and you may be able to feel your cervix, the lower part of your uterus. How can you tell? If you press on it gently, you may find that it feels like an enlarged version of the tip of your nose, perhaps with a small dimple in the center. It's pretty firm, but can be moved around a little.
The dimple you may feel in the center of your cervix is the opening of the cervix,--the os. " Os" rhymes with "floss." Menstrual flow passes out of the uterus through the os, down the vaginal canal and out the vaginal opening. Traveling in the opposite direction, sperm enter the uterus through the os to fertilize the egg. And, although the os is usually very tiny, it can dilate wide enough to permit a baby to pass through. As you can see (and/or feel), the cervix closes off the upper end of the vagina. Ever wonder why you don't have to worry that tampons or other objects getting lost inside you? They can't. The os is "locked." They've got nowhere to go but back out, through your vaginal opening.

The Uterus
On the other side of the cervix is your uterus, sometimes called the womb. This hollow, pear-shaped organ is very muscular and strong. Normally it's the size of a fist, but it can expand remarkably during pregnancy...enough to hold a fully developed fetus! It gets small again after a baby is born. The lining of the uterus, called the endometrium, is designed to hold and nourish a developing fetus; it is this lining that is flushed from the body during your period. For more info on this, see the Your Cycle section.
At its upper portion, the uterus branches into two tubes, called fallopian tubes, each about 3 inches long. These are passageways connecting the uterus and the ovaries, where the egg cells develop. The fringe-like tissue at the ends of each tube, called " fimbriae," help sweep the egg up from an ovary into the fallopian tube and toward the uterus. The inside of a fallopian tube is no wider than the diameter of a human hair. While the egg may be fertilized inside the fallopian tube or in the uterus, cells inside the tube exist specifically to swoosh the egg into the uterus for development.

The end of each fallopian tube almost touches an ovary. Ovaries produce and house unfertilized eggs, and ovaries are where the female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone do their thing. Each ovary is about the size of a large strawberry. We're born with all our eggs (or ova) -- hundreds of thousands! They're contained in sacs called follicles. When puberty hits, hormones give the order for these eggs to ripen, one at a time. At each menstrual cycle, an ovary releases one mature egg (For a more detailed explanation, see the Your Cycle section.)

And that's it. You have successfully completed your tour. Isn't a woman's anatomy truly amazing?

Period Calendar

First of all, there are millions of women who get their periods every 28 days and can set their watches by its arrival. However, there are also millions of women whose periods have the nerve to fit into no schedule at all. You are sitting in the movie theatre, munching a box of popcorn, expecting your period next week, when all of a sudden it shows up in the middle of the coming attractions. Surprise! Every woman's menstrual cycle is different. It may take a while for your cycle to become regular, but keeping track of your periods is a great way to become familiar with your cycle. By tracking, you might notice a pattern every month. You can outsmart those unwelcome, unplanned visits. You'll be ready. Here's a chart to get you started.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w1901t.gif'

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w191ea.gif'

Print out a few copies and stick them in your sock drawer or backpack or wherever. Every month, fill one in! Mark the days you're bleeding. (You can also note which day has the heaviest flow, which days you feel cramps, etc.)
After you do a few charts, you may start to recognize when to expect your period and how long it'll last. This helps you know when to put tampons, pads or pantiliners into your backpack or purse so you won't be unpleasantly or unpreparedly surprised!

Toxic Shock Syndrome

This is the important medical information section of the site, and that's why it sounds so serious. Stay with us, though.
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a rare but serious disease that has been associated with tampon use. Every tampon package contains important information about TSS; there's also a lot of information right here on the site. Please read it.

What are the symptoms of TSS? Sudden fever (usually 102° or higher), vomiting, diarrhea, fainting or near fainting when standing up, dizziness, and/or a rash that looks like sunburn. TSS is very uncommon, but when it does occur, it is serious enough to cause death. If you find yourself with any of the symptoms listed above, discontinue tampon use and consult a physician immediately. You should also consult a physician before using tampons if you have had TSS warning signs in the past.

Women using tampons during their menstrual period are susceptible to the risk of contracting TSS. The reported risk is higher among teenage girls and women under 30 years of age, but TSS can occur at any age. It is estimated to occur in 1 to 17 per 100,000 menstruating women and girls per year. Studies indicate that higher absorbency tampons increase the risk of contracting TSS, so we suggest you use tampons with the minimum absorbency needed to control menstrual flow in order to reduce the risk of contracting TSS. The chart below will help you choose the right product for your varying needs.

You may avoid the risk of tampon-associated TSS by not using tampons, and you can reduce the risk by alternating tampon use with use of pads or pantiliners during your period. Please consult a physician if you have any further questions.

Information About Tampon Absorbency
Tampons are available in several absorbencies to meet individual needs. The ranges of absorbency and their corresponding names (Regular, Super, Super Plus) are required to be used by all tampon manufacturers to indicate the amount of fluid absorbed using a standard laboratory test. You can use these standardized absorbency ranges and names to make comparisons between tampons of all the different manufacturers. Choose the lowest absorbency you need at a given time in your period in order to reduce the risk of contracting TSS.

ABSORBENCY RANGE ABSORBENCY TERM
6 or fewer grams absorbed
6 - 9 grams absorbed
9 - 12 grams absorbed
12 - 15 grams absorbed
15 - 18 grams absorbed Junior Absorbency
Regular Absorbency
Super Absorbency
Super Plus Absorbency
Ultra* Absorbency

* Proposed name

Premenstrual Syndrome

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS). It's a catch-all name for a variety of symptoms many women experience a few days before or during their period. Moodiness, depression, bloating, acne break-outs, soreness or feelings of heaviness in your breasts. These are all part of PMS.
PMS is a drag. Modern science can put a man on the moon, but it can't cure PMS. Go figure. Luckily, different remedies can work for different women. Experiment with several preventative strategies to see what works best for you. Consider keeping a journal to determine what course of action delivers positive results.

Pay attention
Being in touch with your body will help you predict how PMS will affect you each month. If you know you're emotional a few days before your period, you'll know not to take fights and slights as seriously. If you know you have bad cramps on the first day of your cycle, don't plan anything. A slight change in diet or sleep habits might be what you need to make it through this time of the month. A little detective work, and PMS symptoms can be managed.

Food advice
Good nutrition. It's absolutely essential. It affects your energy level, your stamina, your height, and bone strength. In terms of specific PMS food villains, shake the salt habit. It may be hard to do. If you've ever had a sweet, salty food craving right before your period you can relate. But, listen to this. Salt causes water retention, which can add to feelings of bloat before your period. It can also make you feel tense, heavy and sad. Some women find that avoiding caffeine and alcohol helps prevent cramps and headaches. In addition, herbal teas can be helpful in cramp-prevention, raspberry-leaf tea in particular. And health food stores usually carry special "PMS tea". Finally, be sure to get enough calcium--drink milk and eat low-fat frozen yogurt. There's evidence it reduces cramps.

Chill out
When cramps are bad, lie down with a heating pad and zone out. Seriously. Read a good book, watch mindless TV, snuggle with a pet. Breathing deeply and relaxing are terrific pain-lesseners. Keep stress to a minimum.

Try vitamins
If you're not getting enough nutrition through food alone, ask your doctor about taking a vitamin/mineral supplement containing iron, vitamin C and vitamin B. Iron is essential if you have a heavy flow. B vitamins may be helpful if you have bad PMS.

Ahh, massage
To relieve cramps, gently massage and rub your stomach. Or ask someone to do it for you. Have a gentle backrub, concentrating on your lower back.

Other suggestions
Over-the-counter pain relief, like aspirin and ibuprofen, can knock out cramps. Stretching during the cramps and getting more vigorous exercise throughout the month helps both cramps and PMS. Sleep is important. If PMS, cramping and bleeding are severe, ask your doctor about other options.

Teen Puberty and Your Changing Body

Why is it happening? What's normal? These are some of the questions you might have when you find your body growing and changing.

Well, don't worry. You'll be surprised to find out just how normal you are. The human body is pretty amazing. It knows exactly what to do and when to do it.

Puberty is the process of growing and changing from a child into an adult. This stage of your life is called adolescence. Somewhere between the ages of 8 and 14, your body starts changing on the outside. But changes on the inside have already been in the works, preparing you for puberty. Chemicals in the body that produce these changes are called hormones. Your brain releases hormones into the blood, where the hormones travel to different areas of your body and cause growth and development. It is a complex process, but the chain of hormone-producing events leads to the start of puberty in teens.

The changes vary widely among girls. Try to relax. Take comfort in the fact that the changes explained here happen to women all over the world.

Breasts
Sometime during puberty, you will develop breasts. Like all other changes, this one will happen at various times for different girls. Some start as early as 8 or 9 years of age. Others may not begin to develop breasts until they are 14 or 15. Most girls fall somewhere in the middle, but it's all normal. There is no "right" or "best" rate of development, and there is no "perfect" size. You may have already begun developing, but here's what you can expect.

Before you start puberty, you just have nipples. Otherwise, your breasts are flat.

Next, you will develop breast buds, which means that your breasts will raise slightly, and the areola (the pinkish area around each nipple) will grow wider and possibly darker.

As the breasts and the areolas continue to grow, the areolas and nipples may stick out from the rest of the breast. As growth continues, only the nipple continues to stick out. (Note: Sometimes a nipple does not stick out, but goes into the breast and is called an inverted nipple. An inverted nipple may form on one breast or both. In general, this is normal, but if the nipple suddenly becomes inverted, see your doctor, just to be sure.) You might notice that one breast is developing faster than the other. That's normal, too. They will probably even out in time, but if they don't, that's nothing to worry about; many women's breasts don't match each other exactly.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w192rk.gif'

Hair
Before puberty your hair is mostly on your head! Not anymore. As puberty begins, you grow pubic hair. This is the hair that is between your legs and covers your external genitalia. Boys also grow hair in the pubic area as they become men. The first hairs are straight and soft. As you develop, the hair grows in thicker and curlier. As with everything else about puberty, each girl's pubic hair growth and pattern varies. Check this out.

Pubic hair may grow in varying thicknesses.

Usually it is in the shape of an upside-down triangle.

The hair may grow up a little toward your belly button and out onto your inner thighs.

Pubic hair may or may not be the same color as the hair on your head. Often, it is darker.

You will also grow hair under your arms and thicker hair on your legs. You don't have to remove leg or underarm hair for purposes of hygiene, but some girls and women choose to do so. Get the go ahead from your mom or dad before you shave.

Physical Growth Spurts
You'll start to grow taller about the time your breasts begin to develop. This growth spurt actually brings you up to almost your full height. During this time, you might grow up to six inches in a year! Other areas of your body will change, too. Your waist and hips will become more defined. You'll notice that you've grown taller, and it is totally normal that girls at this stage will gain a little weight in preparation for menstruation.

Skin
Most boys and girls agree that pimples are a bummer. And they always seem to show up at the very worst times. But they're just another part of puberty. Lots of pimples that keep coming back are called acne. Sometimes acne breakouts are linked to your period. Acne and puberty is normal and natural (which doesn't make it any more fun). Luckily, there are many ways to minimize it. When puberty begins, oil glands in your skin wake up and go into overdrive. No big surprise that these glands are found in the places where we often get pimples: face, chest, back, and shoulders. When these glands go to work, they start sending oil to pores on your skin's surface. When pores get clogged with a combination of oil, dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria - wham! - hello pimple (or a whitehead or a blackhead).

What Can I Do About Puberty Acne?
Unless you are genetically more likely to develop acne, you can improve the situation.

Wash your face twice a day with mild soap and water. Excessive washing may make the condition worse.

Take a cotton ball and dip it in a solution containing benzoyl peroxide. Wipe the cotton ball across the affected areas.

Many other over-the-counter products are effective at fighting pimples. Ask your doctor about these products.

Keep your hair off your face. Your hair has natural oils that can transfer onto your skin.

Avoid touching your face a lot. Dirt and bacteria on your hands can rub into your skin.

Avoid oily make-up or lotion.

Drink lots of water.

If you find your skin problems to be very bad, or if none of the tips help, ask your parents to take you to see a skin doctor (a dermatologist).

Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle

The idea of getting your first period may be a little scary. When will it happen? Where will it happen? Will I know what to do? These are very normal questions. Try not to freak out. Knowing about why it is happening is a good way to deal with it. Every woman has worried about being caught unprepared for her period. The best way to avoid this is to learn about your menstrual cycle.

Once your period begins and becomes regular, keep track of your monthly cycle on a calendar. Mark down the day it begins, the amount of flow each day, how many days it lasts, and how long between each period. The entire menstrual cycle is about 28 days long. Some are longer. Some are shorter. Your period is the beginning of the menstrual cycle. Keep track for a few months. Pretty soon you will know about when your period will start. You will be prepared! You will also get a better idea of what kind of flow (heavy or light) to expect each day of your period.

Image hotlink - 'http://i3.tinypic.com/w19388.gif'

What Happens Each Month

Every month after you have your first period (called menarche) a part of your brain called the pituitary gland releases a hormone that sends a message to the eggs inside the ovaries. The message is, "grow!" Every month, only one egg among all those stored in your ovaries develops fully. When that egg is fully developed, the brain releases another hormone that causes the egg to leave the ovary. When the egg leaves the ovary, that is called ovulation. Ovulation usually takes place about 13-15 days before your period begins. Count the first day of your period as the first day of your menstrual Cycle.

While all this is happening, the body is preparing for a possible pregnancy. The body produces a hormone called estrogen. Estrogen's job is to make the lining of the uterus ready for a pregnancy by becoming thicker with tissue and blood vessels, which help the fertilized egg develop. This stage happens before the egg has left the ovary.

Progesterone, another hormone, causes the lining of the uterus to become even thicker in preparation for a possible pregnancy.

Meanwhile, the egg travels down one of the fallopian tubes that lead to the uterus. While in the fallopian tubes, the egg could join up with a male sperm. Sperm greets the egg in the fallopian tube as a result of sexual intercourse.

The process in which a female egg joins with a male sperm is called fertilization. The fertilized egg will continue its journey down the fallopian tube to the uterus, where it will attach itself to the lining of the uterus, which is ready for its arrival. When this happens, a woman is pregnant. The fertilized egg will continue to develop into a baby. If the egg does NOT meet a male sperm by the time it reaches the uterus, it will dissolve. Because there is no pregnancy - no fertilized egg to nourish into a baby - the excess lining of the uterus (extra blood and tissue), called the endometrium, comes off. It leaves the body through the opening of the vagina. That is your period.

So, what can I expect with my first period?

You know the biology basics. Now for the details. What is it really like to get a period? Every person is a unique individual. No two people experience puberty the same way. However, the general changes that all girls go through are, for the most part, the same changes. That brings us back to the physical changes of puberty.
Sometime after your breasts grow and pubic hair develops, your first menstrual period may be on its way. Even before your period ever begins, you may notice a whitish or yellowish discharge from your vagina. That's a totally normal process of cleansing out cells your body doesn't need.
Right before your first period, you may feel achy, bloated, or grumpy. Or you may not feel anything at all. Your first period might be very light, and it may not show up the next month. It takes time for your body to get used to its new monthly cycle.
When you've got your period, it's a sure sign that your body is maturing. You're growing up. It is confusing at times. In many ways, you still feel like a kid, with years to go before you have to be a grown-up. You're on your way! Enjoy this time!
When you have your first menstrual period, you might feel a gush or a trickle of fluid. Most of the time, you probably won't notice it too much. Cramps in the abdominal area or lower back can start a few days before your period and then stop after the first few days of your period. Lots of girls don't even get period cramps. Joy! There's no need to change your routine when you've got your period. It's hard to believe that women used to have to stop everything and stay home during their periods.

b][/First Period Stories[/b]

"I got my first period at a pool party. I was wearing a bathing suit and skimpy white shorts! Luckily, my first period was really light, so no one noticed."

"I had just gotten off the school bus and was walking across my front lawn, and suddenly, I just knew I had gotten my period. I don't know how or why I knew, but I did. And there it was."

"When I got my first period, I didn't know what was happening to me. I thought I was sick. Luckily, my mom explained everything after that. I was only 10, and she wasn't expecting me to get it so soon."

"The light in my bathroom at home had been burned out and I was too lazy to change it. So for a few days, I was changing in the dark and just throwing my clothes in the hamper. One morning, my mom came to collect the laundry, saw my underwear, and asked me why I hadn't told her I had gotten my first period. Since I'd changed in the dark, I had no idea! So my mom knew I had it before I did!"

"My mom and I both got our first periods two days after our 13th birthdays! Before I got it, I had a nasty case of PMS. I was so moody! When I finally did get my period, I was fine. My family was really relieved."

What does PMS stand for?
PMS stands for premenstrual syndrome. No one really understands why, but some women experience a variety of symptoms several days before their periods begin. Mood swings, headaches, back pain, tenderness in the breasts, fatigue, bloating, body aches, increased (or decreased) appetite, food cravings, slight weight gain, constipation, and swollen hands or feet. Chalk it up to PMS.

Don't let PMS rock your world. Give these tips a try:

Cut out salty and sugary foods from your diet before and during your period.
Exercise. There is no truth to the notion that it is best to rest and avoid exercise during your period. Actually, exercise helps some PMS symptoms and can certainly relieve or reduce PMS cramps.
Eat well. A poor or skimpy diet can worsen the fatigue and headaches of PMS.

Menstrual Cramps Relief
Some girls and women get cramps before or during their periods. Here's why. To help the uterus shed its excess lining, the muscles in the uterine wall contract. Like any muscle contractions, those uterine contractions can hurt a little or a lot. Regular exercise can help alleviate menstrual cramps, but if you do get cramps with your period, here's how to deal:
Exercise. You can take it easy, but some exercise may help.

Soaking in a warm bath can help relax the muscles.

Decaffeinated hot tea can be very soothing.

Lie down with a heating pad on your stomach.

Some over-the-counter medicines like ibuprofen, when taken as directed, can help cramps…but always ask your parents or your doctor first.

If you can't relieve your menstrual cramps, or if they are so bad that you can't go to school, you should talk to your doctor.

PMS Stories

"When I first started getting my period, I was totally irregular. I mean, I never knew when it was coming, and then -POW - I'd wake up with the worst cramps. Anyway, I finally started to get on a schedule after a few months. I still get cramps the first day, but now I know not to plan any big activities that day. Planning ahead saves me a lot of hassle!"

"I found a trick to help with the bloating - avoid salt! You can't totally avoid salt because it's in like every food, but if you stay away from super-salty foods before and during your period, you'll see that you won't have much bloating. Try it!"

"When I feel yucky because of PMS, I like to just veg out with a cup of tea, a good magazine, and my pillow. We all have special things that make us feel better. Do them!"

"I found that the only thing that helps my cramps is just to go to bed and sleep it off. So that's what I do. When I wake up, the pain is usually gone."

Girls' First Period Q&A

Hi. Welcome to the Q and A part of the site. Here's a chance to get menstruation answers to your questions and puberty questions without actually having to ask them out loud. There's also a list of other resources at the end of the section. If you're still thirsting for knowledge, talk with a parent, teacher or other trusted adult.

Q. When will I get my first period?
A. A. Good question. Most girls get their first period between the ages of 9 and 16. Most means the majority - not everyone will fall into this category. Anyway, it follows the development of breasts, hips, waist, pubic hair, and a growth spurt. Put those clues together and they are usually a sign of your first period. In addition, a girl will often weigh at least 100 pounds before menstruation begins. Genetics also plays a role. If possible, find out when your mom got her first period to get an estimate of when yours may arrive.

Q. What will happen when I get my first period?
A. Usually a first period is very light. It will probably be a few spots of bright red blood or a brown sticky stain that shows up on your underpants. If you are out in public and don't have a pad with you, don't panic. Remain calm. This is a time when true female bonding occurs. Hopefully, your mother or other adult relative will be close by and can supply you with a feminine product. If not, try Plan B. Ask a friend or other woman if she has a maxi pad. It's a well-kept secret that every woman at some time in her life has had to ask another woman for a pad. Yes, it's embarrassing, but you can rely on other women to see you through this situation. And in all honesty, first periods were designed really well because it is usually so little that it won't seep through to your outer clothes.

Q. How long will my period last?
A. Everyone is different. Your period can last between two and seven days. Most girls have it for about five days

Q. What should I do when I get my first period?
A. In addition to what's covered above, it's a good idea to have feminine products ready for that first period, and to know how to use them. (See the Kotex products section of our site for more information about these products.)

Q. What if I get my first period at school?
A. If you have a maxi pad with you, go to the girls' room and put it on. If you don't have one, go to the school nurse, the office, or wherever you can get a maxi pad. How about keeping a pad at school in case of emergency? If you don't need it, maybe one of your friends will and she can return the favor some day soon.

Q. What if my flow is really heavy and I have to use lots of pads?
A. It's probably just a heavy flow, which can happen during a period's first day or two. Some girls normally experience a heavy flow. If you have a prolonged heavy flow, call your doctor.

Q. Will I have to stop activities such as sports when I have my period?
A. No. These days it's hard to use a period as an excuse to get out of gym class. Believe it or not, the more active you are, the less likely you are to have menstrual cramps. And, if you're worried about leaking during sports activities, check out the Kotex products section of the website to find out how to help prevent leaks by using a maxi pad or tampon that fits you and your period.

Q. How often will I get my period?
A. Menstrual cycles range anywhere between 21 to 45 days. The average is 28 days. At first, it will probably be irregular. The time between when you get it, the length and time you have it, and the amount of flow will all vary. As your body finds its own internal rhythm, your period will settle into a pattern. It can take a year or two. Mark your periods on our period calendar to get used to following your monthly cycle.

Q. Can I go swimming when I have my period?
A. Yes, you can go swimming on your period, but don't wear a pad. It will swell up like an inflatable raft. If you want to swim, you should wear a tampon. But first, talk it over with your parent or other responsible adult before trying this (the tampon, not the swimming).

Please see Questions and Answers about Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS). Or, check out Important Information about Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Q. Can I take a bath when I have my period?
A. Yes. In fact, a bath or a shower is really important at this time to keep you clean and to fight off any odors that may occur.

Q. Will getting my period hurt?
A. The actually bleeding part doesn't hurt. The menstrual cramps are uncomfortable but manageable.

Q. What do period cramps feel like?
A. You've probably already guessed this, but cramps don't feel menstrual good. Cramps are a pain. And they're particularly a pain around the area of the uterus that is below your belly button. Sometimes they lodge in your lower back. Cramps are caused by the uterus contracting. You can get them just before and during your period. Some girls have a few period cramps, some have lots, and then there are those who have none. The intensity of the menstrual cramps varies, and you may not get them every time you have your period. They can be managed with over the counter pain relief medication. Ask your doctor for more information.

Q. What is menstruation, anyway?
A. This is strictly a biological explanation so hold on. Menstruation is your monthly opportunity to create a baby. When your body first becomes able to produce a child, usually between the ages of 9 and 16, it begins preparation once a month for possible motherhood. This time in your life is known as menarche ("muh-NAE-key"). A tiny egg matures in one of your ovaries, then travels down a fallopian tube toward your uterus. Your uterus, meanwhile, has been preparing for the egg's arrival, and its lining has gotten thick and velvety. If the arriving egg is fertilized by a sperm, your uterus is all set to protect and nourish the developing baby for the next nine months. If the egg doesn't get fertilized - because there is no sperm present, then your uterus has no use for that thick, spongy lining. So it sheds the lining and flushes it out - along with some blood, body fluids, and the disintegrated egg. For 2 to 6 days each month, all this stuff flows out of your body through your vagina as reddish-brown menstrual flow. After the onset of menstruation, you'll usually have a menstrual period about every 28 days (except during pregnancy) although your cycle may vary anywhere from 20 to 35 days. Flash forward about 40 years, when your body enters menopause. Your ovaries stop producing eggs and your periods stop.

Q. What does it mean if I have an irregular period or late period ?
A. Irregular periods for the first couple of years are normal. But, after that, when you've started to menstruate regularly, missing a period may be a sign of pregnancy (if you are sexually active). Other causes of irregularity include a change in diet, increase in exercise or drug use. The best advice is to chat with your health care provider if you're concerned.

Q. Will other people know I'm having my period?
A. When you're having your period, you don't want the world to know. Regular bathing, proper use of pads and/or tampons and loose, comfortable clothes are a good strategy to keep your period from sticking out in a crowd.

Q. Why do I feel crabby and sad right before my period?
A. PMS. Those three little letters pack a punch, don't they? Moodiness, anxiety and depression are all part of premenstrual syndrome's big bag o' tricks. Again, some women don't get PMS and no guy on the planet "gets" PMS. So if you're suffering with headaches, backaches, pimples, nausea and food cravings, call a friend, the kind who will understand, and talk about it. She may have some advice on ways to find relief. Or, visit "Gab Away" to chat with other girls who might be going through the same thing.

Q. What are the causes of PMS and why do I feel so darn fat?
A. PMS symptoms are caused by hormonal changes that take place prior to menstruation. As hormone levels even out, PMS symptoms gradually disappear. The emotions and problems that seemed overwhelming suddenly feel manageable. Get to know your menstruation cycle and you will know when to head off PMS.

Taken from: girlspace.com, I putted more information here but it doesn't appear so if you need more information PM me or go to girlspace.com for more information

14 Replies to Girls puberty FAQ

re: Girls puberty FAQ
By beccathedancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 677, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Apr 24, 2006 08:26 PM
hi ballet lover,

you did a good job collecting/copy and pasting etc/ and you formatted it well and cited your sources. you made a educational thread so thank you very much this well help many girls.

love from btd
By AfterTheRainmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2183, member since Fri Jan 04, 2002
On Mon Apr 24, 2006 08:34 PM
too bad i didnt have this five years ago.
i appericate it thoughh :)

stay rad
dancingqueen12
By TwinMommy Comments: 16, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 07:19 AM
This is so great!
I hope this is still here when my twins are older.
Thank you-you obviously put a lot of time into it.
I hope it helps a lot of people
Carri
By pixiedancer97 Comments: 933, member since Sat Jan 17, 2004
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 05:16 PM
Good job! You've probably answered every question I've ever had about it, lol.

P.S...You gain at least a 100 pounds???
By live_4_the_day Comments: 24, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 01:28 AM
thank you,you answered every question i had :P
lots of infomation good post!
By dancingfool21 Comments: 20, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:20 AM
I'm sure you answer every question in the book!
Thanks.
By Em_jayne_lake Comments: 3, member since Thu Jan 18, 2007
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 02:18 AM
this is an exellant post thanks
ive got a question about something though
lets just say im not the baldest of people down below and i have troubles with my costume
its revealing and even when i shave you can still see the roots of the hairs
what do you think i should do ??
thanks in advance
xx
By scottdancer94member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 622, member since Fri Jun 29, 2007
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 09:58 PM
Thanks for showing this!!!
U no what is really weird, like before and during my period I want to go practice dance all day!! On weekends I usually do.
By iLOVEASPiRE Comments: 20, member since Fri Jun 20, 2008
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:10 PM
Thank you! This was very helpful and understandable!
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:21 AM
Couldnt of said it an better.

Great job!
By keepdancingx19 Comments: 21, member since Mon Dec 08, 2008
On Tue Mar 24, 2009 09:43 AM
awesome and ridiculously helpful.
thanks!
By Dancing_Girl96member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Sun Mar 09, 2008
On Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:44 AM
Arg! This has just about everything any girl could as about puberty. Greeat post! I SMELL KARMA!
By BalletLuvr2 Comments: 13, member since Tue Jan 04, 2011
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 08:04 PM
Edited by BalletLuvr2 (230039) on 2011-01-04 20:05:30
WOW, very informative!! I wish I had had this when I was 14!!! Thanks alot!
By liv5 Comments: 20, member since Sat Oct 29, 2011
On Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:58 PM
Wow, great post. Answered all my questions thanks!

ReplySendWatch