Forum: Disco / Disco

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Disco
the definitive sponsered post (karma: 48)
By Icelollymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2149, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 AM
Edited by Jensmum (87283) on 2006-04-21 11:08:05 spelling
Edited by Jensmum (87283) on 2006-04-21 12:57:00
Made sticky by pharmadancer (87219) on 2006-04-22 05:24:59

ok so it seems to me that many people want to know the whys and wherefores of disco sponsership so i thought i would try to write a definitive post and maybe the mods would sticky it

Sponsered disco dancers.

What is a sponsered dancer?

A sponsered dancer is someone who has been approached by a costume designer/company and offered sponsership.

What is sponsership?

It means that a designer has chosed a dancer to wear their costumes. These costumes are usually loaned to the dancer free of charge for a period of time and then sold on by the designer. The purpose of sponsership is for the designer to promote their business and encourage other dancers to buy their costumes.

Who can be sponsered?

Any grade of dancer can be sponsered from beginners up to champs. You can be sponsered for solo, slow and occasionally pairs. However it is usually champ dancers who are sponsered, and they usually start with just one costume, ie a solo or slow depending on what they feel is your strongest dance.

Where can i get sponsered?

Anywhere really. The designers are on the look out all the time for new dancers to sponser. It does tend to be at major dance competitions and festivals but people have been sponsered through this site, at a designers showroom and at small local comps and many other places.

What happens when you are sponsered?

You, your parents or your dance teacher will be approaced by the designer and asked if you would like to be sponsered. It is quite a big commitment as if you are sponsered for one costume, say solo, you are expected to buy all your other costumes from the same designer ie: slow and pairs costumes too. If you agree and the designer decides to take you they will then make you your sponsered costume. You are unlikely to have much of a say in the style and design of the costume as this is the designers opportunity to promote their skills. You will be expected to wear your costume to all comps untill the designer decided to sell it. You will then be asked to sell it on behalf of the designer. they will tell you how much they want for it and when it sells they get the money.

Can i tell the world if i get sponsered? and do i get paid?

NO and this is where you have to be very careful. ADFP rules state that a dancer must not recieve rewards for advertising a designer. So although you are sponsered by a company they cannot use your name / picture in their advertising and you cannot actively promote their company. If you are found to breach these rule you can lose you amature status and will not be allowed to compete in further Adfp comps. You will not get paid nor should you recieve any payment from the sale of the costume. Look at it like a free load of a lovely costume and you wont go far wrong.

So hang on how do people know who is sponsered by who?

The dance world is a small place and of course you can tell your friends and class buddies and anyone who comes up to you at a comp and says "wow who made your costume?" and word gets around. Also many big companies have a style that most people recognise as theirs. you may also be asked to model other new designs that are not your own costume so dont worry people will soon know all about your sponsership.

What do i have to do to get sponsered?

You have to dance every comp to your best ability. Remember you never know who will be watching.

BUT please remember getting sponsered is actually quite rare and many many dancers will never be sponsered. Competing in disco is not about sponsership that is a bonus for a lucky few you should focus your energies on your dancing and remember to have fun and SMILE

hope this helps

jensmum

87 Replies to the definitive sponsered post

re: the definitive sponsered post (karma: 1)
By Queen_Jojo Comments: 4947, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:14 AM
Edited by Queen_Jojo (139716) on 2006-04-21 11:15:51
One question. If you can't let on who you are sponsored by, and your sponsor can't use you to advertise how come there are known sponsored dancers on certain designers web sites? And certain sponsored dancers have pictures of themselves with their designer on here? Surely that isn't allowed?
Rules are rules!!

Queen_Jojo
re: the definitive sponsered post (karma: 1)
By Firthymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2588, member since Tue Jan 18, 2005
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:19 AM
Aw thanks for that :), karma fairy! :D
And the last paragraph finshed it off lovely :)

Hannah x.x.x
re: the definitive sponsered post
By madmel30member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1536, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:24 AM
what a great post jens mum,
i agree it should make sticky it clear's up anything floating
around in your head.
but most of all i totally agree that dancing is all about having
fun and doing the best you can at something you enjoy.
everyone has there own unique style and a little something to give.
mel,ty and peach xx
By Icelollymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2149, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:33 AM
Edited by Jensmum (87283) on 2006-04-21 11:35:08
Edited by Jensmum (87283) on 2006-04-21 11:35:37 must learn to spell
re Queen Jo Jo
i quite agree (I dont make the rules nor is it my job to enfore them thankgoodness lol) but yep it is true that there are pics of people on her with their sponser. I have been told that as long as you dont say sponsered and the name of the designer in the same post then its let go as it is not the responsibility of the DANCE.NET mods to police ADFP rules.
so people say look at my new sponser cossie in post a

and then
this is me and designer x in post b

wearing the same cossie
it dosent take Einstine to work it out lol

However I do know that the ADFP have been looking at web sites etc and are trying to ensure that the rule is adhered to where possible

jensmum
By Queen_Jojo Comments: 4947, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:36 AM
Thanks Jensmum, I did wonder how they got away with it!!

Queen_Jojo
By Rocky13member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2252, member since Sun Jul 04, 2004
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:50 PM
Hi

Thanks for clearing that up!
I didn't know everything about sponsorship.
This should be made a sticky, maybe
then people will stick to the rules!
Bet it took you ages to type that lol!
Karma for you!

Love Rochelle xxxxx
By emma_jaynemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7956, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 01:55 PM
hiya

what a fantastic post jensmum!!! :D

you have cleared EVERYTHING up about
sponsorships!!! :D

hopefully there will be no more posts
about it now.

luv n hugz

Emz

xxx
By Ferrari_Girlsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4574, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 03:07 PM
Hi Jensmum

What a great informative post, we agree - it deserves to be a sticky and we really liked your last paragraph too.

Love Debbie and Angel x x x
By sophistikat Comments: 2093, member since Thu Apr 15, 2004
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 04:06 PM
Hi,
I want to know when the designers will start sponsoring ISTD dancers! probably never as in general we dont do enough comps for the designer to get the benefit. I am sure there are people who do both ISTD and ADFP that are sponsored, but I'd like to see a sponsored ISTD only dancer.
best wishes
sharon
By Samba_mummember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 576, member since Fri Jan 03, 2003
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 04:55 PM
Hi,

good post, clearifies a lot of things,
I agree that dancers should focus their energy on their
dancing, karma for you!

tin :)
By bluegirluk Comments: 625, member since Mon Sep 26, 2005
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 02:21 AM
At last I understand about sponsored dancers, thankyou for a clear and concise post. +++Mods please make this a sticky+++.

Jane x
By discokayla6 Comments: 156, member since Mon Apr 17, 2006
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 02:42 AM
hiya

what a great post, i now understand what a sponsered costume is.

thank you
hi laura
By draamaqueen Comments: 581, member since Mon Sep 19, 2005
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 07:26 AM
i think this is a great post and some of those points youve raised we didnt know about but we do now, im going to rate this post as its helped me alot.

love to jen

love shree xx
By live_life_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 11529, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 07:29 AM
yay its a sticky

its a really useful post

aine x
By dancerleamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4444, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Sun Apr 23, 2006 09:33 AM
Hi Jensmum,

Great post, answers so many questions re sponsership. Great ending too!

All the best
Lee and Lea
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Mon May 01, 2006 08:31 AM
You do not always have to buy all your other suits from the designer

Just depends what you work out and agree with the sponsor

Mama DD's xxx
By Joanne_2003member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6052, member since Wed Apr 23, 2003
On Thu May 11, 2006 08:01 AM
heya brill post by the way lol
i am just thinking i seen loads
of leaflets, promoting costume
designers with well known dancers
pictures on them? lol wierd but
ok haha love jojo xxxxxxx
By Milly_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4755, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Mon May 15, 2006 10:06 AM
Hey

Fab post but i have a question :D Theres always an awkward one ha ha!
What happens if the person being sponsored doesnt like their new suit?
Do they have to wear it regardless or can they turn around and not wear?
Just been bugging me for a while :)

Love Emily xxxx
By K3MYA Comments: 484, member since Wed Aug 11, 2004
On Fri May 26, 2006 04:23 AM
WOW you hit the nail on the head. all your comments were spot on!
i only sponsor dancers at the moment,
1 starter
1 inter
3 champ
kerry x
By AnNa06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 201, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Sun May 28, 2006 12:40 PM
hiya
great post
i have always wondered why is it that you have sponsered dancers
thanks again

anna xxxx
By xJennixXxDobbiexmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6290, member since Tue Jun 29, 2004
On Wed May 31, 2006 04:18 PM
hi

great post! it must have took you ages!
this is great because now i wont have
as many people asking how i got sponsored
and how they could get sponsored :) hehe

love jenni x x x
By xkt_bbzxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 183, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 04:59 AM
hiya
great post
thanks again
ye what if you dotn likie your cozzie that you wearrr???????

kt xxxx
By mybabymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1559, member since Thu Mar 10, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 05:10 AM
great post :)
i think it will clear up a lot of quetions people might ask about sponsorship
love Jayne xx
By xkt_bbzxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 183, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 05:37 AM
hiya
great post
thanks again
xxxx
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch