tutorial: how to do a pointeshoe (or something else) with napkin technique
By Kathy
On 04/22/2006 11:14:33
(by the way, I am NOT left handed, I was holding the camera in the right hand and so the only free hand was the left one ;) )

You need:

- napkin varnish (avaible in craft shops)
- a brush
- old newspaper (to cover everything for not having a BIG mess)
- napkins with pretty pictures
- something where you want to add the pictures (in this case a pointeshoe)
- a palette or something similar to it (I used the package of candy)

The pictures explain how to do it, you can PM me or write into this thread if you have questions.
BE CAREFUL with the napkins. You only use the layer wher the picture is printed on it and this layer is VERY thin. It also becomes wet because of the varnish. This causes the napkin to rip into pieces very easily. So be careful with it.
You can also cut out the pictures with scissors, but I prefer the look of the ripped out motif, that´s why I did it this way.

Kathy

re: tutorial: how to do a pointeshoe (or something else) with napkin technique
By Honey
On 04/22/2006 11:50:45
Yay!!!!!!! Tutorial!!!
By tutuless
On 04/22/2006 13:27:37
Just a suggestion: It might look prettier with no napkin covering the platform of the pointe shoe. First of all, it looks as if the napkin is bunching up there and secondly, at least with the pair you used, there was no satin on the platform, so having napkin looks a bit strange... It might look better on a different pair with satin on the platform though!

Love,
tutuless
By DancinMad_Kayley
On 04/22/2006 13:43:59
Thanks ! I'll try it once my pointe shoes are ruined. I just got a knew pair though and they are only my first pair.

Love DancinMad_Kayley
By tutuless
On 04/23/2006 12:55:01
Then get the stupid satin off, it's burning my eeeeeyes!!! *runs around yelling*
By Merfi
On 04/25/2006 03:19:25
They look so cute! I'm gonna get out my dead pointe shoes and have a go!
By SilverBella
On 05/08/2006 20:14:04
Yay something to try as soon as I'm able to part with a pair of my pointes..lol I don't want to hurt them! Yes, I'm insane! ha ha And I too thought that there was napkins on the platforms...*stupid eyes, stupid!*
By irish_dancer4Him
On 06/16/2006 13:45:34
I have never done anything with my old pointe shoes before, this looks fun and simple. I can't wait to try it!!!
By LeMusique
On 08/26/2007 18:13:21
Kathy, you are sooo creative! Once I have more of my dead pointe shoes, Im going to wait for a rainy day, and do a lot of these projects! I love this idea!!! Thank you!

MK
By EStar
On 11/27/2007 18:22:34
Do you know if this would work for Irish dance soft shoes?

I know they are a completely different material (leather) and there is not as much decorating space on them, but I have so many old pairs that I don't use, and this would be so cool to do on them, if it would work.
By Jennypollock1
On 03/15/2008 07:06:40
re irish shoes , would it not work if you covered layers of tissue paper in the same way then put on the pattern desighns , just neads more layers of paste and paper . I would think. I am going to try it on highland shoes anyway. I will let you know how I get on. christine
By tnydancer009
On 03/23/2008 12:51:14
I'm on my school's varsity dance team and we have round felt hats that we wear along with leather white boots like the ragerettes. Do you think this would work on any of those?
By tnydancer009
On 03/23/2008 12:52:17
email me back? I'm not sure how dance.net would let me know that someone has replied to this. lauren_nicole_09@yahoo.com
By tnydancer009
On 03/23/2008 13:09:48
How did they turn out? I have white leather boots that I wear for my school's dance team and I wanted to see if the leather would work!
By tnydancer009
On 03/31/2008 15:22:36
Where did you get those napkins? I cant seem to find anything but "Happy birthday!" or Hannah Montana.
By PinkKarnation
On 07/25/2008 14:36:16
This is very interesting. Are the shoes very hard when the technique is finished? Or are they still soft like satin?
By kittymoo
On 08/04/2008 04:57:25
karma!
By mooshrimp
On 08/21/2008 08:27:46
Did you have to prime the blue shoes with blue paint beforehand so they would be so bright? They are stunning!
By Emi89
On 10/17/2008 11:39:45
wow... the shoes look gorgeous! my shoes are refusing to die and i really want to try this hahaha *jealous* maybe i'll look for some i can try it on =]
By ktyex3
On 10/19/2008 16:55:05
this is awesome ! i really wanna try this, & this'll make it alot easier. thanks! ~ Kaitlin
By BalletMom3
On 11/21/2008 14:59:49
Do you think Mod Podge would work.? I can't find the napkin glue in any of my local craft stores and I want to try a nutcracker themed shoe this weekend.
By BalletMom3
On 11/21/2008 15:06:29
It's a decopage glue for paper
By BalletMom3
On 11/21/2008 15:07:22
Do you think Mod Podge would work.? I can't find the napkin glue in any of my local craft stores and I want to try a nutcracker themed shoe this weekend.
By BalletMom3
On 11/21/2008 16:46:19
Last question (maybe!) Is is oil based clear varnish or the kind you can clean up with water?
By BalletMom3
On 11/21/2008 22:22:02
I'm trying the Mod Podge tonight so hopefully it will work. Also-have you spray painted any shoes with gold or silver and then tried to decopage over it? Just wondering how that would work.
By BalletMom3
On 11/27/2008 13:25:33
Hi Kathy, I finished my Nutcracker shoe and it turned out pretty cute. Thanks for sharing your clever napkin technique. I've been experimenting with ways to decorate pointe shoes for a while and was underwhelmed with my results. I never thought to decopage a pointe shoe. I think it's great when creative people share their talents. Thanks again!
By FolkestoneAngels
On 12/23/2008 14:47:40
hi thanks for the tips, I bought some shoes from ebay to try it out because my daughter isn't en pointe yet. The only napkins I had in the house were halloween so I have gone ahead and done them. Just a note to anyone trying it out, I used pva glue, the white kids glue ( because was all i had and was to excited to wait) But it worked very well. I just added a few drops of water to loosen it and it has given them a lovely shine. thanks again. karma 4 you karen XX
By FolkestoneAngels
On 12/23/2008 15:57:33
hi sorry me again. How do you get a nice neat edge on the bottem of the shoes?? thanks karen XX
By FolkestoneAngels
On 01/02/2009 08:08:50
hi I just wanteded to show you my shoes. I am so pleased with them. I still need to finish the tops with some black ribbon but i think they look good. I coloured the insides with a black marker pen and added glitter glue to the orange bits of the pumpkins for extra sparkle. Thanks again, I cant wait to get another pair, I need to buy some napkins too. Karen. X
By ArtofMoving
On 02/15/2009 08:17:29
This is so fantastic! I love the photos you posted of the other pairs you've made. How did you paint, for example, the blue with red flowers and yellow with butterflies? I read that you don't paint the shoes before putting on the napkins and varnish, because the paint would show through the thin napkin layer. Just wondering how you painted the shoes with messing up the napkin. Thanks!
By PinkKarnation
On 02/16/2009 08:19:39
The Halloween ones are my faves! They are really unique!
By emmilonglegs
On 08/04/2009 14:21:13
Woah This is amazing!:). Definatley going to be trying this! Well done! :D and thankyou so much!!! xxx
By Sbaltz
On 03/07/2011 12:19:17
These are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your photos and techniques.
By mandakp
On 08/07/2011 02:59:33
Omgosh those are so gorgeous!! I've often wanted to decorate some old pointe shoes and hadn't found the perfect way, those look so great! ANd the sheep are really cute hahhaa
By jeanne1
On 10/18/2011 18:19:53
Hello Dancerr! You have stolen my image. Where did you get this on the net. I am politely asking you to stop using my image. I am a professional photographer and this is a copyright violation. Please remove it at once. Jeanne Conte
By YumYumDoughnut
On 10/18/2011 18:32:23
^ Which photo are you talking about?
By jeanne1
On 10/19/2011 09:09:16
/Users/Morgan/Desktop/Picture 1.png/Users/Morgan/Desktop/Picture 2.png Kathy, You are the liar! If you go to http://www.gallerystock.com and type in my name (Jeanne Conte) you will see that dance picture on my page. Not only are you a liar but you are also a thief.
By Jenna
On 10/19/2011 10:52:10
I think she is referring to the profile picture for "dancerr" that you can see on the second page. That photo appears in her online gallery. Not sure that calling someone (a memeber who has not been active since 2008 it seems) out on a copyright violation on an old thread will be effective - but try PMing her? http://www.dance.net/u/dancerrr
By Sumayah
On 10/19/2011 10:54:15
Jeanne1, if you have an issue regarding a copyright issue, please click the MOD button on the post where you are claiming copyright. Kathy, she is not referring to the pointe shoe pictures, she is referring to the avatar of user "Dancerr" back on page 2.
By YumYumDoughnut
On 10/19/2011 11:12:33
Jeanne, I don't think you understand everything that is going on because you are a new member. Those little photos by everyones name is chosen by individual users. They don't have anything to do with the original starter of the thread. They are called Avatars and once you are a full member + 50 comments, you are able to post any photo that you like.
By baladibabe
On 02/08/2012 15:55:44
OH.MY.GOD! This is absolutely fabulous!!! Thanks so much for not only sharing this project with us, but for taking the time to create such an easy-to-follow tut! I think even =I= could do this, and believe me, I'm off to Joann to find napkin varnish so I can give it a go! SO exciting!!!
By baladibabe
On 02/10/2012 19:27:36
I am SO totally going to try this!
By baladibabe
On 02/25/2012 14:23:01
Just had my first Mod Podge session, and it was a blast! Am still waiting for the beverage napkins I ordered to arrive, so I used stickers instead, and I gotta say it wasn't ideal - they are too stiff and non-porous to work well. I'm looking forward to doing this with actual napkins, and hoping I get better results. P.S. I'm always looking for dead pointes for crafts and photo projects, if any of you have some you want to get rid of!
By baladibabe
On 02/25/2012 14:24:58
Not sure why my pics didn't load, so am trying this again . . . (Oh, jeez, they DID load - sorry about that - didn't mean to post this twice!)
By baladibabe
On 03/10/2012 10:28:18
Okay, FINALLY got the shipment of napkins I was waiting for, and set to work. Here are my first efforts - peonies and orchids. Having SO much fun! Again, many thanks to Kathy for starting this thread by sharing her tut . . .
By baladibabe
On 03/10/2012 10:45:53
Thanks, Kathy! Yeah, it's REALLY awesome! It's a bit tricky dealing with how delicate the soggy napkin is, and I certainly ripped a number in the process, but it's an amazingly forgiving medium, and I am just LOVING it!
By DanceHeart99
On 04/13/2012 11:52:03
This is totally and utterly brilliant!!! I've been looking to do something like this, and here it is! THANK YOU SO MUCH
By DanceHeart99
On 04/14/2012 15:11:05
So on my old shoes, the satin on the toe is SUPER ripped up (through all layers), and wouldn't look too pretty. could I cover that part up w. plain white napkin? would that look odd? Suggestions would be appreciated :)
By baladibabe
On 04/14/2012 15:34:45
You could trim away as much of the shredded tatters as possible and just leave it raw, as the OP did with her fabulous sheep shoes. Or you could try covering it up - not sure how that would look, but you can only find out by trying! I've been leaving the platform uncovered on mine (http://shoeclips.weebly.com/decoupointes.html), but it's really just a question of taste.
By DanceHeart99
On 04/14/2012 20:03:16
Yeah...lol, I'm not sure if these are even usable....veeery worn out
By baladibabe
On 04/15/2012 08:23:23
LOL! Those are BEAT, girl! But yeah, what Kathy said, and be sure to trim the shreds and smooth the rough edges (even use sandpaper or an emery board) so you get the smoothest possible surface. Post pics when you're done!
By DanceHeart99
On 04/15/2012 10:58:33
They are usable! I used worse in the past! Maybe cover the whole shoe with a LIGHT (white, light yellow, light babyblue, , very light green, light pink...) colour first.
yea..Thanks! I'll post pics once finished :)
By WreckageDancer
On 04/23/2012 22:08:55
Ah, it's so cute! This makes me wish I was on pointe even more, those sheep are really adorable!
By baladibabe
On 05/13/2012 18:58:11
My latest creation - Watermelon decoupage pointes! Sewed green trim over the drawstring, dyed the drawstrings green, and added green satin ribbons and a sprinkling of rhinestones. I love them! But can anybody give me tips on how to avoid the darkening where two pieces of paper meet? Next time I'll try using far fewer pieces, anyway.
By DanceEvermore
On 08/10/2012 18:20:03
This is so amazing! Good job for this great creativity. Love the sheep. Really cute idea.
By dancer_aimyXo
On 06/16/2013 13:33:02
This is really good . Well done . I wonder could you use photographs ? If printed on normal non shinny a4 paper . Also what did you use to paint the drawstrings .
By perfectionpointe
On 05/02/2014 15:57:16
I always decorate my old pointe shoes- i just find it so cool! I've rhinestoned them, sharpied them, dyed them, glued them, i just love to have a bit of fun with them, and i'm defiitely going to try this soon!!!
By perfectionpointe
On 05/02/2014 15:58:17
I always decorate my old pointe shoes- i just find it so cool! I've rhinestoned them, sharpied them, dyed them, glued them, i just love to have a bit of fun with them, and i'm defiitely going to try this soon!!!
By maimai
On 06/16/2015 21:06:05
Thanks very much for such a interesting tip. But I have a question: How long will it be kept? Can it adhesive the water? PLease share with me. Thanks again.

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 06/23/2022 17:17:39