Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

how to do an amanash ?
By voguer
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 03:21 AM
Edited by voguer (157158) on 2006-04-26 03:24:14 wrong spelling

Hi , i'm new at his forum.

i would like to know , how do you train for and do an amanash ?
i don't know the correct spelling , i just know it sounds like that.

It's that jete like leap where you behind leg is in attitude and the front leg is still straight, and the leap is done in an half turn.

a good example of that leap could be seen from the movie A Chorus Line.

It is done by Richie (i guess that characters name , i am not good at remembering names) the only African American character in that movie .

4 Replies to how to do an amanash ?

re: how to do an amanash ?
By DanceFreak247
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 05:09 PM
If it's what I THINK your talking about, we call those calypsos along with most other studios. Actually, some studios call them barrels.. it just depends I guess! But if you can do a normal leap, and turn leap, you should be able to do these. All you have to do is do a plie turn, and push off your back leg and leap! But make sure the front leg is straight, and back leg is bent in attitude, of course. They aren't as hard as they look... just keep trying! Maybe have your teacher help, too? Or another dancer who knows how to do it. You could learn lots! Good luck!
By voguer
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 09:44 PM
thanks for your tip. well i got the name of the leap from my ballet teacher who teaches jazz in my jazz class. The reason that i ask is because my dance school is gonna have an audition for "a chorus line" and i really want get that part of Richie, i am 31 years old which means i only got hmm 10 years for dancing, so i really want to make this my breaktrough.

Again thanks.
By chaine_boimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:00 PM
A 1/4 turn jete in attitude is called a Baryshnikov (with a stamp-turn preparation). A calypso is a jete/backcatch with a backbend (back leg bends upwards not in attitude but in a backcatch). And a barrel turn is a pirouette with a backbend spotting to the front and the arms in tilted second. A barrel leap is a turning c-jump.

The move you are describing is called a Baryshnikov (or coupe jete). Just do a stamp turn and then jete out of it with the back leg in attitude and the arms are in classical fourth or in a V.
By voguer
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 01:24 AM
thanks chaine_boi. I was just from the jazz professionals forum, and someone asked the same question too, well not exactly the same, he/she didn't asked how to do it, but what the name for that jump was. the topic was "re: jazz terminology" and had 20 replies, and different names came up. but most called them baryshnikov.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to help me out.

ReplySendWatch