Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

stage fright...
By i_love_dance_09
On Wed May 03, 2006 01:36 PM

at my past competition, i had my worst case ever of stage fright. it started after nationals last year & i don't know why! i knew my tap dance front to back....i just got horribly scared. my music wasn't cued and i had to stand on stage for like 5 minutes, & then my tap shoes were sliding off of my heels. i thought that was my problem but it's not. is there any way to get rid of stage fright?

4 Replies to stage fright...

re: stage fright...
By TAPPY2
On Wed May 03, 2006 04:27 PM
Wow! That'sounds terrible. I thing that I do, is listen to my music and close my eyes and visulize the dance. If you can get a copy of last monthes Dance Spirit, there is a good article on vizulizing(?) to help calm the stage frights. I hope that helps!
By tappingangel
On Sat May 06, 2006 11:42 AM
speaking of last month's dance spirit issue, sarah "saza" dimmick is my dance teacher at my high school. the techniques it mentions her doing realy DO work well. before our show last night she had us lay down in the middle of the stage to feel our area and she played every song so that we could dance it in our heads and know exactly what we were doing. try taking headphones with you, as it mentions her doing as well. instead of listening to my dance song tho, i listen to normal music that i would listen to outside of class. that helps me to relax and not worry about the show. and, btw, dont feel bad about your shoe- a girl i asked to tie my tennis shoe for our hip-hop piece didn't tie it tight enough or double knot it, and it came undone and i tripped over it onstage, lol, and also, iforgot ALL of my solo so i had 2:34 to freestyle on stage.....stuff happens, just brush it off and keep dancing!!!!!!!
By taperina55
On Tue May 09, 2006 07:12 PM
just image that you are in your studio, practicing with only your teacher and other dancers. i never really had stage fright whatever you do just keep dancing & smiling.
By NattieDo
On Fri Jun 02, 2006 03:13 PM
Edited by NattieDo (160164) on 2006-06-02 15:15:53
It's okay that you have stage fright. Everybody experiences stage fright at least one time in their lives. I would recommend just thinking about how good you WILL do. If you think about the bad, you will get your self worked up and worried. Just remember, everybody at the competition is feeling the same way though they may not show it.

Love, a fellow tap competitor

ReplySendWatch