Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Competition costumes
By ShakeUrBody
On Fri May 05, 2006 02:14 AM

Hey everyone,
Its that time of year again where costumes are being chosen for new comp routines. My question, do you think that it is inappropriate to wear a bra and mini shorts (basic description minus decorations) in a competition, guaranteeing its the ideal style costume for a song?
Opinions welcome... thanks everyone!
xXx

6 Replies to Competition costumes

re: Competition costumes
By dramamamaPremium member
On Fri May 05, 2006 05:21 PM
Maybe it's just me - but those types of costumes are generally seen more in the Jazz and Lyrical categories... Generally speaking, I am used to seeing a costume with pants for funky/rhythm type tap and more dresses for Broadway style. Actually - you see a lot of jeans in costumes lately for the funky tap routines.
By dazzlindancer
On Fri May 05, 2006 05:39 PM
Um, well are you comfortable in it, and does it suit your song and routine properly?? If so that i guess its okay. I would never wear that because it wouldnt match our studio's style of dancing (very classic old songs). But its up to you.

Best of luck,
dazzlindancer
By RebeccaD
On Tue May 09, 2006 09:53 AM
I agree with dancefan62! What song are you doing your routine to? Every tap routine that I have seen and done had either dresses or more the hip hop style clothing! Good luck!!
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Wed May 10, 2006 11:40 PM
Far out. Bra and minishorts? What are you dancing to, Britney Spears?!

Call me a bit conservative but I fail to see how they are the "ideal" costume for a tap routine... is it not possible to replace the bra with an actual top, and the shorts with pants or something?

In some situations, less is not more.

Now I'll mention for the record that I'm nineteen years old - I've worn many a cleavage-showing top (when going out) and I'm not afraid to show off my body when I feel it's right (like when I'm in my bikini at a beach). But for dance, I just don't understand how a bra and minishorts is the most 'ideal' thing to wear... what are the other alternatives?

Personally I've only ever worn a bra for ONE tap routine I've ever done, and that was a belly dance-style tap routine (and as we all know, a bra is a staple piece in a belly dancer's costume, so it's not like I was doing anything too out of the ordinary).
By red_velvet_rosemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 11, 2006 07:52 AM
I think it really does depend on how you feel, if you are comfortable in it and it fits the music, go for it! :)
By dancinbabe847
On Thu May 18, 2006 07:37 PM
The bra should be fine as long as you are comfortable in it. The shorts I haven't seen done that much, but it would be different. Post a pic when you have it all figured out I would love to see it.

ReplySendWatch