Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

NBA dance teams
By wannabestar001
On Sun May 07, 2006 03:56 AM

So, I think I'm going to be adventurous this summer and audition for the Clippers Spirit Dance Team and/or the Laker Girls! Anyone have any experience trying out for those or any NBA dance team?

I'm coming off an audition high after trying out for (and not making, though I did make it to the final round) my college's basketball dance team. I absolutely loved the experience, and despite the disappointment want to keep at it!

5 Replies to NBA dance teams

re: NBA dance teams
By evie464member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon May 08, 2006 07:11 AM
I have not done any NBA team auditions, but I did just come off of the New England Patriots Audition (NFL). You can check out my post about it at my audition blog: danceauditions.blogspot.com
By wannabestar001
On Mon May 08, 2006 03:47 PM
Thanks! I saw that link in another post and checked it out. Verrrr y insightful!
~Dani
By kimj22
On Wed May 10, 2006 02:37 PM
I tried out for the Seattle Supersonics dance team a couple years back. We started with across the floor: pirouettes, chainee's and simple jazz walks. They made a cut after this. Then we were taught a hip-hop routine. They gave us some time to practice by ourselves and then we performed in groups's of 3's. Then, we were taught a jazz routine, a couple tricks were included like an axel (which i still don't have down)and then cuts were made. I was cut after that last section and i'm guessing that they continued to have the girls perform each dance until they cut enough for a team.
It wasn't as Hollywood as i expected. Most of the girls had on jazz pants and a tank or sportsbra. But in La or NY, i would probably go for flashy, hair and make-up done. Another factor ofcourse is weight. You gotta be in tip-top shape or you're not even considered (which is a big drag).Hope this helps!
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 22, 2006 03:34 PM
I auditioned for an NBA dance team and danced with them for two seasons.

Like any audition an resume and head shot was required. Im pretty sure we also needed body shots - can't quite recall.

The first round auditions consisted of a rather jazzy hip hop combo. It was only about 1 minute long, had a triple pirouette, some jetes, and a chance for you to do a little improv to show off any special skills. We did it in groups of 3.

Round two was the same but you had to do it alone and they videotaped you.

Round three were interviews and solo free style which they also taped.

It was funny cause at the end of the day they had picked the team and told the girls who made it. Then when we went for the first meeting a few weeks later they told us they still had to cut 7 people and were doing so based on the videos and would et back to us.I thought that was just horrible becuase the girls had tod EVERYONE, one girl I had talked to quit her job and was put in her local paper then they cut her. Ugh!

If you have any other Q's about auditioning or what its like to dance for an NBA team, feel free to PM me!

I'd say go for the audition! It will for sure be a good experience and will likely be a lot of fun and you can meet lots of new people! Even if you dont get it this season, they do notice who comes back to audition season after season! Best of luck!
By kimj22
On Mon May 22, 2006 04:12 PM
WHich NBA team did you dance for? How many total gals made the final cut? That whole situation sounds pretty crummy for those who "made it" then got cut. That's awful.

ReplySendWatch