Forum: General / Reviews

The DaVinci Code
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 22, 2006 09:55 PM

Now I realize that opinions on this movie will be very subjective based on religious beliefs, but I'd like to steer away from that and review the actual overall structure of the movie.

Personally, I felt the book was better, although the book didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. I felt it wasn't the best of Tom Hank's work, but Sir Ian McKellan's appearance pleasantly surprised me.

The plot could've been a bit better articulated in my eyes, and so could've the suspense factor. It's supposed to be a search through Europe for this Holy Grail, but it's constantly slowed down. The ending was moving however, and I rather liked the music.

Yahoo reviews give it a C+. I'd place it at a B-. It's good, but not spectacular.

Opinions anyone?

11 Replies to The DaVinci Code

re: The DaVinci Code
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 23, 2006 04:46 AM
I think it was okay, but nothing spectacular. The book is WAY better.
I think they shortened several important moments too much. I also think that they ruined the role of Sophie Neveu. In the movie she does not seem to have any reason to be there (except this one thing ;) ), but in the book it´s also very important that she knows how to read all those signs. In the movie Robert Langdon does nearly everything alone. In the movie she only follows him in a quite dumb way.

But yes, the music was gorgeous.

For everyone who does not know the story allready: read the book. The movie misses out too much.

Kathy
By AymeePremium member
On Tue May 23, 2006 09:43 AM
My impression was that the film relied on you having read the book, as key points and scenes are not explained. However, the people most dissapointed with the film seem to be those who have read the book!

I saw the film last night and am now itching to get my hands back on my book *hits self repeatedly about the head for lending to desperate friend* to go back on bits I thought were 'lacking'

But, all that behind, film, not bad - book great. Tom hanks sucked and Mckellen as Teabing (or Teabag, as I like to call him) was great.
On Tue May 23, 2006 09:44 PM
I agree Kathy; Sophie Neveu's character lost a lot of meaning in the movie, which bothered me as well. She was just the female counterpart, the damsel in distress, and in the book she's very key to the entire finding of the grail.

I HATED that they found the location of the grail and were actually in it in the end...that was such a great part of the book in my eyes.

And the second crpytex not being there...just further took way from Neveu's character and from the suspense of the movie in general in my eyes.
By Highlandlizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 31, 2006 04:52 PM
The movie definitly followed the book and it helped to clarify some of the plot. i know they could never fit everyting from the book into the movie, but I wish they could!
By dancingbeth
On Sat Jul 01, 2006 09:06 AM
A message to anyone who reads the DaVinci code. Make sure you get another view point after you have read it, many churches have produced a leaflet of a different viewpoint. When my friend read it, she got kind of brainwashed by some of the messages it gave.
By Ladedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 09, 2006 08:15 AM
Brainwashed? Im going to guess and say the idea of Jesus marrying Mary and having a blood line scared her?

And you realize that pamphlet will basically prove what the book was trying to say-The Church tries to cover up secrets.

ANYWAYS
The movie. I was dissappointed...The role of Sophie greatly degraded the actual character, and sometimes it seemed...too set up, you know? At some points their actions or lines didnt seem natural. McKellan certaintly made me happier though, but in all I felt they concentrated too much on the blood and relationships part, and not the actual logic of it.
By RodneysGlory
On Sun Jul 09, 2006 01:44 PM
I really enjoyed the book. I thought the movie was OK. There were parts that I didn't like, but I think it was a major undertaking to even try to make the movie. I didn't expect it to be great, but I was entertained overall.
By MissRabbit
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 01:07 PM
That movie was Absolutely disappointing! I guess i expected way better with all the hoopla that surrounded at all. Now i havent read the book or anything, but im thinking its much much much better than the movie... i only hope transformers doesnt suck..
By MelleLuvsDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 01, 2006 03:40 PM
The movie was horrible but the book was pretty good.
By dancergirl1212member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:09 PM
I thought the movie and the book were great.
It did bring up alot of good facts and points, though, about all that church stuff. But I kinda regret it, because it seems very factual and unbiased, so it's not like this is the author's opinion, so I mostly agree, but now wchurch just seems so.... unreal. :(
Who else here likes Dan Brown's books? I fell in love with Angels and Demons, although the Da Vinci code is loosely based (at least at the beginning) on Angels and Demons, so you really have to read both.

Myrtle
PS Why not make Angels and Demons into a movie? I would see it.
On Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:52 PM
^ Because you can't film inside the Vatican so they would have to recreate all those sets. To put it bluntly, it would be expensive as hell.

ReplySendWatch