Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Dancing on a cruise ship??
By Goldfingers_Girl
On Tue May 23, 2006 11:48 PM

Hey Everyone

I'm currently trying to get work as a cruise ship dancer. This has been something I wanted to do for a long time and something that I have reseached A LOT....but finding it hard to figure out my plan of action.

I have prepared an audition video to send out to several cruise lines.....but I was just wondering how realistic is it to think I will get a position this way? Has anyone been cast through a video? If so, what did your video consist of?

I have been to few auditions. I got through the auditions in my city to be placed on casting lists...but after several months haven't heard anything.....*sigh* Has anyone been cast by a live audition? How long did you have to wait for your position?

These cruise ships audition ALL over the world and it seems like this is part skill, part size, hair colour, eye colour, dance style ect and definitely part LUCK!

And finally has anyone gone with a cruise ship agency? I know many say they have a 100% placement rate....but they take 15% or more of your earnings. Do they work? Has an agency worked for anyone?

ANY advice would be SUPER....None of my dance friends/colleagues have done this.....I'm hoping some DDNers have!

Cheers,
Goldfinger's Girl

1 Replies to Dancing on a cruise ship??

re: Dancing on a cruise ship??
By bcballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 24, 2006 12:14 AM
A couple of my friends went to an audition and they only took 3 and the other 57-ish got cut.

This guy I knew was an amazing dancer: probably had the looks, flexibility, talent and really wanted to put himself out there, so he overdid and exaggerated everything to stand out from the crowd. He didn't make it. They liked his dancing and everything, but wanted to make sure he was going to work well in a team environment and not show off as he did. Just a reminder :)

Good luck auditioning, just thought I'd mention that tip.

ReplySendWatch