Forum: Folk / Native American Dance

Native American Dance
CULTURAL CONNECTION QUESTION
By cleoNY Comments: 122, member since Tue May 03, 2005
On Thu May 25, 2006 03:40 PM

I was wondering if Native American dance corrolates to Native American religion. Is the religion still practiced, and if so, is it sometimes through dance? Well, thank you all... I hope someone responds.

2 Replies to CULTURAL CONNECTION QUESTION

yes
By raqssharkidancer Comments: 1008, member since Mon Jul 21, 2003
On Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:52 AM
I think every region needs to speak for itself, but up in Northern Saskatchewan, yes, Aboriginal spirituality is still widly practiced through prayers, smudging, sweats, etc. The jingle dress dancing and others do give hommage to the creator. Some dancing correlates to hunting and tracking.
re: CULTURAL CONNECTION QUESTION
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Jun 08, 2006 01:49 PM
Some do and some do not. It's difficult to track acurately because when these religious dances (and Native religion in general) were banned by the U.S. government, it was STRICTLY enforced. (Remember what happened when they tried to get together and do the Ghost Dance?)

When you go to a pow wow (at least those I've been to) they usually let you know the background of the dance that's being/about to be done. You're more likely to run into more religious ones at non-intertribal pow wows.

ReplySendWatch