Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Irish - Hardshoe
Hardshoe FAQ's (karma: 10)
By Cinnawiz Comments: 3136, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Tue May 30, 2006 08:12 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-06-29 14:11:49

There are so many questions regarding hardshoes that I thought I’d try to make a “one-stop shopping” post to answer the most frequently asked questions about them.

Breaking them in:

My best advice...wear 'em around the house; anytime you can, for as long as you can! This way, the shoes will mold to YOUR foot, stretch to YOUR foot, and will break in to YOUR foot!!
--celticfeet

Whatever you do, DON'T try to smush them in a mattress or anything!
--EatMyShamrocks

I've used neat's foot oil; it worked for me pretty well. They still took me a while to break in, but they helped soften the leather and reduce the possibility of blisters!
--reel_jigger

We use Hotglove on our shoes. It is a baseball glove conditioner and we got it at Sports Authority.
--CelticCurls

I've heard mink oil is great, but don't use a lot or it will over-stretch the leather!! Also, even just putting baby oil on your shoes I've heard works great! I've never tried either of these, so don't quote me, but that's just what everyone says works!!
--celticfeet

Just buy some Hot Glove from your local sporting goods store. Its used for baseball gloves, but it did wonders for my shoes. I could go en pointe the same day I treated them with Hot Glove. Just follow the directions on the back of the can.
--Shamrocker80591

My friend swears by using a blow dryer to heat up the leather but I haven't tried that yet.
--emi1y

Firstly, loosen them up a bit by manipulating them with your hands. Bend and twist any and every which way, but keep them moving. When they're warmed up, put them on and keep them on. Walk around the house in them, point and flex your feet, walk on half-point (very important, this last one)…. The ONLY way to make shoes more comfortable on YOUR feet, is to WEAR them in (not 'break' them in) on YOUR feet.
--weezy

Slippery Soles:

Try using some coarse sandpaper to make the bottom of your fiberglass tips a bit rough. This doesn't always work, so my suggestion would be to use CLEAR duct tape….Stick it to the bottom of your heels and toes (you don't need it on the leather/suede sole part) and trim the edges off.
--gaelicgurl

Rosin-It works on suede and on top of duct tape, but not on plain fiberglass. I use it over top of my duct tape on really bad stages. Application-just sprinkle it on. If it isn't crushed up for you already you'll need to do that.
--irishdncr668

my son uses black electrical tape, it works great….The electrical tape is easy to use and matches his shoes you cant even tell its there when he's dancing.. It also peels off fairly easily on both his soft shoes and his hard shoes and I have found that it doesn’t damage the soft shoes like the duck tape seems to.
--momofthreedancrs

If it’s the shoe that slippery, like a new or a worn down pair, you can just rough up the tips. Either use sandpaper, or scuff them up on some concrete (don't dance on the concrete just drag your feet on it.)If it’s the floor that's slippery, then yeah use tape.
--califeisgirl

On the use of elastics or tape to keep them on:

Using tape…
…electrical tape works really well. I start underneath my foot, kind of by my arch (on the inside part of my foot), bring it back behind my heel, underneath again and then over the top of my foot.
--emi1y

You just wrap the tape around the show like you would with thin elastics. The tape is a somewhat stronger than elastics so it will keep the shoe on better.
--DanceBunneh

Using thin elastics…
…put it around your heel. Pull it up and over your foot, but twist it half way across your foot/ankle. Bring it back down and back around your heel.
--danceroo

Using thick elastics…
If you’re using the thick bands then you place then over your laces so that it is just in front of the leather strap.
--dancing_diva4

Hopefully this will help everyone out with some of the basics. Cheers!

21 Replies to Hardshoe FAQ's

re: Hardshoe FAQ's
By ghillie_girl16member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 310, member since Sun Jan 08, 2006
On Tue May 30, 2006 09:18 AM
Wow great post!Karma!!! This deserves a sticky status I think!

-Lisa Renae
By SunnyPremium member Comments: 1819, member since Thu May 12, 2005
On Tue May 30, 2006 01:00 PM
This is such a good idea to compile everyone's advice into one thread!
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Tue May 30, 2006 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting this!! Karma!

I think this should be made Sticky as it has alot of helpful information.

xxClairexx
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 05:25 AM
Edited by Cinnawiz (148620) on 2006-06-15 05:26:47
So, does anybody have anything else to add? What crucial piece of information did I forget?

I'm hoping that we can get enough info in here to make this a sticky :D
By feismum Comments: 1300, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 AM
Great post - very helpful.

One piece of advice that I've read alot lately is:
if your shoes are slipping off your heels - then they have stretched too much. There is no good way to keep them on your feet long term - you probably need new ones.
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 AM
Excellent point! We all know how much we hate to break in new shoes and that we love our old shoes to death (literally!).

But there comes a point in time when the shoes need to be replaced because they're not doing their job anymore and that can be very dangerous. Visions of a squadron of flying hardshoes, armed and ready to drop heels and tips. Oh my! :O
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 AM
I've just thought of something else to add!

Make sure your shoes are the correct size and fit properly.. otherwise your shoes will look weird and when you to toe stands your shoes bend really weirdly.(I think its called Tacoing..)
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu Jun 22, 2006 09:58 AM
yay, you used my advice! i feel smart now.

anyway, i was also thinking this should be a sticky. it's got a lot of great advice and it could help people out a lot.
By fredweasley_ID Comments: 13, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 PM
Wow thank you SOOOO much for posting that it is way better then going to all the different peoples posts!! It helped me LOADS and I also thought it was sweet of you to give credit to the people who you found the information from!
By silverhaze Comments: 85, member since Fri Nov 21, 2008
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 03:39 PM
Thank you for putting everything together. I was just trying to figure out the best way to break in my new hard shoes!
By OMGjaimyemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 539, member since Fri Mar 26, 2010
On Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:13 AM
Really great advice, thanks for all that!
By trebletreble Comments: 135, member since Wed Apr 14, 2010
On Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:59 PM
This is really great! I finally found a way how to stop my shoes being so slippery :D
By Takkilar Comments: 8, member since Fri Jun 26, 2009
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 07:21 AM
I found a thread buried a few pages back that suggested using leather conditioner to help break in hardshoes. Having just bought new Rutherford Flexis (NOT Super Flexis) at OD this weekend, I decided to give it a try. The leather conditioner works wonderfully, and I'm nearly able to dance and do toe-stands after only 2-3 days. So, if anyone else out there is trying to break in their new hard-(or soft)shoes, I'd give the leather conditioner a try.

Here's the thread, in case you want to look at that.
By Dollyd Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 22, 2010
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:14 PM
Thank you for the great advice on the hard shoes. Thank you
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:47 PM
^^That's an excellent thread too!
By choclablover Comments: 12, member since Fri Mar 25, 2011
On Mon May 16, 2011 01:42 PM
My son has new hardshoes. He's complaining of pain in the heel area where the shoe meets the upper portion of his heel. Any suggestions on breaking in this area?
Thanks.
By Angelekenna Comments: 20, member since Mon Nov 14, 2011
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 01:20 PM
Choclablover: I have the same problem! *had.
I soaked my hardshoes in a tub of hot water, put my feet in, and they stretched. Also, in the tub, just work the heel of the shoe out and in to stretch it. Maybe the shoes are too small?
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 02:20 PM
I would not recommend putting any dance shoes in water.
By slipjiggerkenzie Comments: 80, member since Sun Sep 25, 2011
On Tue Dec 13, 2011 05:22 PM
I read on an app for iPod touch that if you are not getting loud clicks you need new hard shoes.
By d8ncr00 Comments: 24, member since Fri Apr 13, 2012
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 PM
Edited by d8ncr00 (248554) on 2012-06-07 22:06:41
Great comments - maybe try retipping rather than buying and breaking in new shoes.
By mandees11 Comments: 250, member since Sun Oct 23, 2011
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 PM
thanks for posting!

ReplySendWatch