Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Semantics...
By Ishkabiblelymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 03:08 AM

Isn't colorguard one word? We've always spelled it that way but I've seen both ways on this board. I feel like I should know this...

Another thing I should probably know: My friends and I have an ongoing debate on the proper verb for what colorguard does. My personal favorite is "to flag" as in: "Come on, lets go flag" (our colorguard only has flags at the moment, we are currently trying to raise money for rifles for next year). Or should it be: "Lets go colorguard" or maybe "lets go guard colors!"? So what is the proper verb?

4 Replies to Semantics...

re: Semantics...
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 AM
Color guard is always 2 words. And the word is "spin", although I do like "flag" as a verb (but I've never heard it used like that).
By TaraDancer21
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 01:11 PM
Hmmmm... Interesting... I was pretty sure that most of the schools in Ohio spell it as one word: Colorguard.
If it were two words... would it be Winter Guard? or Winterguard?
Quite perplexing....
And "spin" is what I say :)
By tapguard
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 02:03 PM
WGI spells color guard and winter guard as two separate words. Even on the wgi website, wgi.org, it's written that way.
As for the verb, I would say spin, practice, or rehearse, not flag.
By JamisonUpton
On Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:50 PM
My younger daughter was demanding a frock on her birthday and I could not guess which is the best design for her. I am glad to visit awriter.org . . . website to read reviews. But I am sure that the design you are providing is excellent and it will impress her. I need to get this kind of frock.

ReplySendWatch