Priority Dresses & Costumes

Poll: Folk / Belly Dance

How would you feel about a male classmate cross-dressing as a woman in your belly dance class? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:47 AM

A few days ago I received an inquiry from a guy who expressed interest in attending my belly dance class. He stated that he would want to wear makeup and wear a skirt. He asked how I would feel about that, and I told him I'd be comfortable with it.

Then he asked how my other students would be likely to feel. Honestly, I didn't know how to answer that. I know that when I was a student, I occasionally attended workshops in which a classmate was a guy cross-dressed as a female and I found him odd/intriguing, but tried to be friendly to him. But I really don't know how my classmates felt.

I've received such inquiries before. They've always been from out-of-state people who were wondering if they could drop into my class during a visit to my city. I've always made it clear that I'd welcome them, but I never knew how to answer the question about the expected reaction of the other students. I've always guessed that my students would be open too, but I couldn't promise it.

So, in the interest of helping me determine how I should answer this question the next time I'm asked it, how WOULD you react to a cross-dressing male classmate in a skirt, wig, and makeup?

I asked my current students last night, and they assured me they thought it would be fun to have such a classmate.

10 Replies to How would you feel about a male classmate cross-dressing as a woman in your belly dance class?

re: How would you feel about a male classmate cross-dressing as a woman in your belly dance class? en>fr fr>en
By Myrrdancer Comments: 409, member since Tue Dec 30, 2003
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:56 AM
one of my closest belly dance friends is a beautiful dancer, and he cross-dressed for a hafla that was in a bar...it was widely accepted, and enjoyed!
He could have passed for my sister (but with smaller hips ;)
re: How would you feel about a male classmate cross-dressing as a woman in your belly dance class? en>fr fr>en
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 01:16 AM
I forgot to mention...
At the recreation centre I teach at, I had a problem of one of the basketball players using our fountain, and oggling some of the girls...
later, one of my male friends who is in the Navy, and is quite large joined the group...I asked if any of them minded, and they said no...he stood by the door and learned the dance...no more basketball ooglers.
I think that when the students know that a fellow is there to learn/respect the dance, they won't care about gender at all. As far as the cross dresser, they probably would find that very intriguing!
Also, if the instructor is a warm, welcoming person, I think their behaviour will have a large impact on how the students would react.
By the_smo Comments: 112, member since Sat Jan 21, 2006
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 AM
To be honest sometimes I am more comfortable around gay men or crossdressers than I am around a big group of women. I find them to be more forgiving and more accepting (this isn't all the time of course). Most of the time I get along with them better than I do women, heh. :)
I was also raised around them though (all of my mom's best girlfriends are guys, lol.)

For other women, I think that having a man in there who wants to dress like a woman would make them more comfortable with themselves. I would think they'd be less self concious because, well hey, there is a man dressed like a woman dancing right next to them. Almost like a compliment, this man wants to be able to look and move like we do naturally. Of course there will always be someone who is turned off by the whole thing, but I find people like that usually come around (women like that I should say, men are usually less accepting for some reason, but that's another conversation).
By Abahple Comments: 224, member since Sat Apr 10, 2004
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 03:13 PM
There's someone in one of my classes who is transgendered, male to female (that is, undergoing physical modifications to become physically female, as opposed to just wearing the clothes) and everyone is quite accepting of her. Granted, I live in a pretty liberal area, where you get used to seeing people who follow lifestyles "outside the norm," so that may not be applicable to where you live.

Of course, I'm interested in seeing what our teacher from Uzbekistan thinks when she comes over the next time, and finds this woman in her workshop!!!
More about this guy en>fr fr>en
On Thu Jun 22, 2006 04:11 PM
Yesterday I chatted with another dancer who received an inquiry from the same guy whose inquiry started this thread. It seems that once she told him he was welcome to come to her class, he started asking her if she would put makeup on him, and she told him no, if he wanted to wear makeup it was up to him to learn that on his own, that she teaches dance, not makeup lessons.

I could relate. He asked me, too, whether coming to my belly dance class would involve a lesson on how to put makeup on, and I told him no, the only time I do makeup lessons is when the group is preparing for a performance and I'm teaching them what kind of makeup to do for the performance. So then he said "But I'll pay extra, and besides it would only be about 10 minutes extra, wouldn't it?" Hmmm, the poor guy has no clue. It usually takes me 15-20 minutes to put on my own performance makeup for shows, and of course teaching makeup skills to a newbie takes much longer than what it takes to do my own.

Judging from that and some other things he said, I got the impression this individual may be wanting to experiment with cross-dressing, but has never actually done so. I'm guessing he thinks a belly dancing class would be a safe place to try it, and that's why he's calling belly dance teachers with these inquiries.

I don't mind someone cross-dressing in my class, but I don't want to take responsibility for teaching him how to do it. I just teach dance.
On Sun Jun 25, 2006 08:21 PM
that is a rather odd situation...
but as you stated, you're a belly dance teacher, not one who teaches people how to be a woman...we all have to learn that on our own ;)
By tingreenone Comments: 7, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:10 PM
One of the owners of my first company was a male.... As dancers we should be accustomed to seeing cross dressing males. Of coarse it is important to be kind and accepting towards them. I do remain firm thou that belly dancing is a celebration of our fertility and feminin making it hard for me to see why they choose to be in it... But belly dance is constantly evolving as sure as we wear bra and belt costumes. I guess I must have multiple personalities on this subject. But I would for sure strive to make him comfortable.
By talaentertainmnt Comments: 0, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:05 AM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-28 12:02:52 please check the caps lock - I think it's stuck!
HI THERE!

I AM A PROFESSIONAL PERFORMER THAT HAS BEEN AROUND CROSS DRESSERS PERFORMERS SINCE ...(EVER SINCE...)
I KNOW THAT FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE JUST BEING INTRODUCED TO THE GAY CULTURE, IT WOULD BE A BIT OF A DISCOMFORT,OR A BIT OF A SHOCK (AT LEAST AT FIRST).BUT ONCE YOU GET TO KNOW YOUR FELLOW CLASSMATE IT WOULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.
WHO KNOWS,YOU MAY FIND YOUR NEXT BEST "GIRLFRIEND". ( I HAVE ...)GAY GUYS ARE VERY SWEET WHEN IT COMES TO COMFORT AND UNDERSTANDING, BUT THEY COULD PROVIDE YOU AS WELL WITH THAT BRUTAL HONESTY,ONCE IN AWHILE THAT YOU'D PROBABLY NEED ANY WAYS...
BY THE WAY I'VE HEARD FROM COLLEAGUES IN EUROPE THAT SOME OF THE BEST KNOWN BELLY DANCE TEACHERS AVAILABLE TODAY IN EGYPT AND LEBANON ARE ALL MALES(MAKES YOU THINK , HA?)

SO, MY BOTTOMLINE IS: WHEN IT COMES TO PERFORMING ARTS, THERE IS NO RESTRICTIONS TO SEX. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN IN MANY CULTURES:JAPANESE KABUKI THEATRE ,FOR EXAMLPE, OR THE THE MEDIEVAL THEATRE SHOWS ACROSS EUROPE, WHERE ALL FEMALE PARTS WERE PLAYED BY MALE ACTORS.
JUST ENJOY THE ARTS, THAT'S IT!!!
HAFA ADAI,
BI
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7847, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 01:37 PM
The thing is, there are male belly dancers, and there have been male belly dancers dating back to ancient times. So yes, a man can become a belly dancer as a man not cross dressed as a woman.
He doesn't HAVE to cross-dress, but.... en>fr fr>en
On Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:01 AM
CinnamonGirl, I've known a lot of men over the 25 years I've been belly dancing who danced as men rather than cross-dressing. I've attended workshops taught by fabulous men like Bert Balladine who always dressed VERY male when he danced. Tarik Sultan is another well-known role model for men who want to belly dance but do so as MEN. So I completely agree, it's perfectly normal for a guy to belly dance clad as man.

The thing about the guy who contacted me was that he WANTED to cross dress, and he's not the first cross-dressing male (or wannabe) I've encountered in belly dance circles. He was hoping that as part of the experience of attending my class that I would teach him how to put on makeup like a woman.

One caller (who never actually showed up in my class) said he hoped belly dancing would help him explore his feminine side, and cross-dressing was part of the experience he wanted.

ReplySendWatch