Forum: Irish / Irish - Feiseanna

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Irish - Feiseanna
Attending Your First Feis - a photo story (karma: 34)
By MegaMAIDPremium member Comments: 204, member since Tue May 23, 2006
On Sat Jun 17, 2006 09:23 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-06-18 20:01:39

Have you ever struggled to describe a feis to someone who has never been? Is it true that a picture is worth a thousand words?

With the help of two very talented photographers, I recently created a slide show entitled "Attending Your First Feis". Its purpose is to help prepare families from our dance school for the world of competitive Irish dance.

Perhaps a few others will find it useful or enjoyable ...

www.teelin.com . . .

Meg, a MAID ... and the webmistress for the Teelin School of Irish Dance

65 Replies to Attending Your First Feis - a photo story

re: Attending Your First Feis - a photo story
By KnotworkMolltPremium member Comments: 2804, member since Sat Oct 09, 2004
On Sat Jun 17, 2006 09:33 PM
Bravo! I'm forwarding a link to your slideshow to our new competitors at our next feis.
By RodneysGlory Comments: 1909, member since Wed Sep 14, 2005
On Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:09 PM
Wow.. that's great for new dancers. Very helpful. Do you really have a lot of feiseanna in sport venues?
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:47 PM
WOW! That is awesome! Great job! It is hard to tell people what to do, and it really gets me in the mood to feis just by seeing those pictures! So it should surely get a beginner feiser into it. Wonderful tips to. Karma, karma, karma! Well, actually, only one. It's a habit of mine to say things 3 times. :D
By feismum Comments: 1300, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 01:19 AM
What a fantastic slideshow! Puts my little scrapbook to shame any day! And now I so want to go to a feis in USA to see all those lovely vendor stalls! We're lucky if we get one stall and it usually only sells socks!
By fiddletunes Comments: 132, member since Sat Sep 24, 2005
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:05 AM
Nice job. If you've never been to a feis, I don't think it's possible to just explain it in words- this would really be helpful for new parents!
Sharon
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:43 AM
Thanks for all of the positive feedback!!! The slide show was a fun project, and I'm very encouraged by how well it's being received!

RodneysGlory, to answer your question, yes, many NA feiseanna are in sports venue. I'm still a fairly new MAID, but the 9 feiseanna that I've attended thus far have been in the following venues:

2 in high schools (several stages set up in the gym, champ stage in the auditorium)

1 in a middle school (basically the same scenario as high school)

2 in a university gym (the photos at the beginning of the slide show - 6 stages across the gym floor, great high-rise stadium seating)

1 in an ice hockey rink (minus the ice, of course!)

3 in hotels (stages set up in various ballrooms of the hotel)
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2482, member since Thu Aug 21, 2003
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 03:22 PM
Fabulous Guide to a first feis... good job!
By DanceMom1204 Comments: 206, member since Tue Sep 28, 2004
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 06:34 PM
Meg,
Your slide show is wonderful. We hosted our annual feis this weekend, and I wish I'd been able to forward your link to our newest families beforehand.
It's fabulous information, and very well put together. I'll be adding a link to it from my blog very soon!
Great job,
Brooke

Irishdancemoms.blogspot.com
By SionnachPremium member Comments: 1159, member since Thu Mar 24, 2005
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 09:15 PM
Very creative! Karma for you! That is one of the best feis introductions I've seen!

I think that the sport stadium thing is mostly an east coast thing, I'm not sure though. I'm a western US region dancer, and I've only been to competitions in hotels (weel, and the Key Arena in seattle, but it was the same "ballroom" set up), how do the stadium competitions run? Does it ever get confusing?
By FreakyFeisMom Comments: 176, member since Tue Nov 16, 2004
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 09:40 PM
Great job!

Where was this six years ago when my dancer was just starting out! Feiseanna can be so intimidating when it's your "first time".

It's almost like doing a dry run!

Thanks
By EatSleepID Comments: 389, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Tue Jun 20, 2006 06:31 AM
Wow, that was fantastic! Very detailed and right on!
By HeatherBlossom Comments: 130, member since Wed Aug 31, 2005
On Tue Jun 20, 2006 09:04 AM
Very nice job! I loved seeing the excited expressions when the number was found on the wall.
By dncrgrrl Comments: 65, member since Wed Dec 07, 2005
On Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:03 PM
That slide show is terrific! I wish it had been around when I was doing my sophomore project in high school on Irish dance! I love that my teacher is the one pictured as the judge too!
By irishbabe503 Comments: 2, member since Sun Jun 25, 2006
On Sun Jun 25, 2006 07:14 PM
I have been trying to explain dancing to people for so long! Thanks for that.
By momoftwo Comments: 193, member since Sun Nov 07, 2004
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 01:31 AM
Great presentation! By any chance were those photos from the Delaware Feis? A flag on the wall in the background looked like the DE flag... We are hoping to attend that feis this summer, and since we've only been to feiseanna in the WR (mostly hotels like sionnach stated) your post gave us an idea of what to expect in a different type of environment/venue! Thanks!
what to expect at your first feis
By storm_dance Comments: 48, member since Thu Jun 15, 2006
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 06:03 AM
Wow.... I wish I'd seen this before I went to my first feis. THis would have helped a lot. It's how I remember my firt competition.
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 06:48 AM
Good eye, momoftwo - yes, many of the photos are from the Delaware Feis, which was a great feis. Maybe we'll see you there this August!

(The photos of the empty stages, the crowds, the vendors, etc, were from the CCE Feis, used with permission from ZandB.)
By momoftwo Comments: 193, member since Sun Nov 07, 2004
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 04:58 PM
MegaMAID, I sent the check late last week, so unless it has been lost in a flood somewhere back east my 2 dd, husband and I are going. I told my husband that I *thought* I'd seen pictures of this feis I planned on dragging him to in the middle of our vacation and that it looked like fun. Glad I was right! Anyway, I will show him your slideshow!
By momof1dd Comments: 117, member since Sat Feb 11, 2006
On Wed Jun 28, 2006 07:21 PM
Well done! Thank you so much for sharing! Here truly a picture is worth a thousand words!
By Celtic_Cutie Comments: 75, member since Fri Mar 10, 2006
On Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:38 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! I'm new to ID...amd now I'm looking forward to my first feis!

~*CC*~
By ID_Freak Comments: 135, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Thu Jul 06, 2006 01:16 PM
good job!! it gets me soo pysched for my feis next weekend lol
By hornpipedncr Comments: 116, member since Mon Jul 03, 2006
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:30 PM
This is fantastic! I was lucky enough to watch a few competitions before I started competing myself. It might easy some of those first feis nerves for dancers and their parents. Thanks for sharing.
On Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:31 PM
Thanks to the helpful feedback from here and from another ID message board, I added one more slide to this photo story - a reminder to request marks. Some feiseanna send marks to all competitors automatically, but others only send marks to dancers who request (and pay a nominal fee) for them. Marks, judges' comments (if any), and comparison ranks/scores are more valuable tools than simply knowing a dancer's placement. Hopefully this small reminder will help.
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1677, member since Sun Jan 01, 2006
On Sun Jul 16, 2006 08:02 PM
I think that this Photo Story is a great idea.

Catherine
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch