Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

Why was Irina disqualified in the Madrid world Champs in 2001?
By reedville_qtmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 18, 2006 04:51 PM

Does anyone know why Irina was disqualified during the Madrid World Championships in 2001? I was just wondering. Thanks!

12 Replies to Why was Irina disqualified in the Madrid world Champs in 2001?

re: Why was Irina disqualified in the Madrid world Champs in 2001?
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 02:48 AM
Because a forbidden substance was found in her blood. I think it was found for the first time at the Goodwill Games and the B test was also positive.

The substance itself was a diuretic which was given to loose weight. It's not forbidden because of what it does but because it hides other doping products (which she didn't take but it is of course always possible).

Alina Kabaeva was disqualified for the same reason. They both couldn't compete for a year.

Anna Bessonova was in a similar situation the year after but somehow she didn't got too much of a sanction so she could compete at group worlds in June of that year.
By reedville_qtmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 08:53 PM
Thanks! Thats all I wanted to know!
By RG4ever
On Mon Jul 03, 2006 04:54 PM
The reason why Kabaeva and Chaschina were disqualified was some illegal for the athletes doping (furocemid). They used some kind of pills or something like that to get a better endurance I guess.
Anya Bessonova wasn't disqualified because the reason why she got something in her blood was the nose drops. She got a cold or flu, and of course she had to use some nose drops, and in those drops was one kind of ingredient that got her positive doping test.
By crystal_sky
On Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:21 PM
Arrh it was horrible! I felt so sorry for the both of them. They were the obvious choices for first and second place! However, in the end, having a big break allowed them both to train extra hard and work on new skills, so when they came back they we're better than ever :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Simona Peycheva disqualified at some stage for using banned substances found in her medication used for her kidney condition?

Crystal
By Johandie
On Fri Jul 14, 2006 04:09 PM
I'd have to agree with Gymlover's version, because anything else would have given them a longer suspension or banning...

A lot of athletes use diuretics to hide illegal substances, the most common being steroids...
By RSGVIDEOS
On Mon Jul 17, 2006 06:53 AM
The product found in Irina's, Alina's and Simona's analisys (it was found in their urine, not in blood, sorry GymLover) was furosemide, a diuretic which actually hides the presence of other substances, but can work itself for a weight reduction, having some risks also.

The product founf on Bessonova was pseudoephedrine, which is no more than a stimulant found in almost all medicaments against flu and also in nose drops. That's the reason that she only got a 2 months suspension which was completed during summer. And her sanction came directly from UKR Federation and was later confirmed by FIG, so she was officially punished "at home".

Guillermo
On Tue Aug 01, 2006 04:32 AM
Edited by GymLover (82579) on 2006-08-01 04:35:29
Edited by GymLover (82579) on 2006-08-01 04:44:05
Yeah sorry Guillermo wasn't paying that much attention to my choice of words :)

Interesting case on Bessonova. I never knew it was pseudo-ephidrine. When was that case again? Beginning 2002? That product is normally, according to the Romanian AG team doctor IIRC, not even on the dopinglist of the FIG. (at least not in AG so I suppose not in RG neither). Plus it's no longer forbidden as the IOC took it out of their list as well. The Raducan case made me aware of all this :)

The reason why Kabaeva and Chaschina were disqualified was some illegal for the athletes doping (furocemid). They used some kind of pills or something like that to get a better endurance I guess.

Good that you write "I guess" in the end cause guessing is all what was done in those three lines. It's not for endurance at all. Who said they took pills? Endurance does not help in sports like gymnastics where everything is shown in 1.30minutes...
Before you write something think first.
By waaaaaaaaaaa
On Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:19 PM
i think its sad that they would risk so much just to get thinner.
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 05:39 AM
They? I don't think "they" have much say in it. As you look at Irina Tchachina she really doesn't need any diuretic she has a perfectly good competitive weight.

By they you could better point at the coaches.
By waaaaaaaaaaa
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 09:22 PM
yes you are right. coaches. but the girls get so brainwashed that they do things like that themselves without anyone telling them to
By LEscrimeurFemmemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 04:18 PM
Gymlover,

Isn't it possible to use that endurance enhancing drug for training? I mean I've heard of a few drugs that wouldn't be exactly great for performance (i.e. codeine, which makes you sleepy, was taken by Russian pairs skater, Yelena Berezhnaya:
en.wikipedia.org . . . although it is just mentioned as "doping") but may give an edge to some who wish to push themselves harder.
On Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:34 AM
Edited by GymLover (82579) on 2006-08-11 10:44:26
But Irina didn't take a drug to improve her endurance she was suspended because of a diuretic which only makes you loose weight and which is in itself not forbidden but it's on the list anyway because it could possibly hide other doping products which give the athlete benefits (but which Irina nor Alina took).

Anyway even if they would've taken something that improves endurance it's useless for a gymnast as this is not an endurance sport like cycling for example is. A rhythmic gymnasts doesn't do 200 routines as fast as possible they work in breaks repeat parts of a routine rest repeat other parts repeat the whole routine works on new elements improves other elements etc it's not like going as fast as you can for as long as you can.

That's the same reason why Raducan's pseudo-ephidrine wasn't helping her in anyway. This product makes that more oxigen is going to the lungs, what could help an athlete who is doing an endurance sport like cycling, marathons etc but in no case it would help a gymnast who'se only on the floor for a 1min30
BTW: her teammates Olaru & Amanar also took the same coldpill as Raducan did but because they are taller it didn't get noticed. It's only because Raducan is so small that the concentration was higher.

Yelena Berezhnaya's doping case is probably similar to Andreea Raducan's. Again a cold medicin (that's at least speculated for Berezhnaya) and because Lena is so small the concentration of the forbidden product was still high enough to be discovered. But if she would have had any advantages because of it I highly doubt.

ReplySendWatch