Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Girls & Guys PG-13
PinUp's Guide to Finding a Job (karma: 17)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:44 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-06-24 11:27:12

Finding a job is hard these days. Be it the economy or the area you live in, the job market can be pretty darn competitive. Here are a few tips and tricks I've picked up in my recent years job hunting.

Apply EVERYWHERE
Okay, maybe not everywhere, but to as many places that are hiring that you can see yourself working. I've applied to as many as 15 places at once and only gotten 3-4 interviews out of and then one job offer. If you think the number of applications you're filling out is outrageous, remember, most of them will never even call you back. I've applied to shoe stores, clothing stores, Bath & Body Works (my current employer), and restaurants. If they'll give you an application, take it.

Dress Nicely and/or Neatly
Whether you're picking up applications or returning them, you want to dress nicely. Going in wearing an old t-shirt, holey jeans, and sneakers with stuff written on them won't get you hired to most places. You don't have to go in a full suit. On my last job hunt, I wore a polo shirt and a skirt. If you apply to an upscale restaurant, you may want to dress a little nicer as you'll be wearing nicer clothes while you're working there. You want to give them the impression that you're serious about getting this job and won't embarrass their establishment.

Follow Up
After you've turned in your applications, wait 3-4 days before following up. That's often enough time for them to review your application if not call you back. If you can, follow up in person. Ask to speak to the manager and inform him/her that you recently submitted an application and you were checking up on your status. If you can't do it in person for whatever reason, do it by phone. Let them know you're still interested. I would say if they haven't asked you in for an interview, consider the lead dead and move on. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. It took Bath & Body Works over three weeks to give me the initial interview call and then another week to extend an offer. Try to focus your energy evenly on as many as possible.

Keep An Open Mind
Apply to places you think are a stretch. I was never a fan of the idea of being a waitress. However, I want to become a bartender and most bars want to see food service experience. I'm fine with being a server for a while if it helps me achieve that goal. Plus, I happen to live in a relatively wealthy area with very nice restaurants. If you're not sure about working in a movie theatre, keep in mind they often hire a large number of people.

Make Sure You're Of Age
I know for a fact Gap Inc. and Limited Brands don't hire anyone under 18. Some places don't hire under 21 depending on the laws in your state. Make sure that you fall within their age requirements. Places like movie theatres and fast food restaurants will often hire 16 and up, but usually for less than 30 hours a week. Ask the manager of the place you're interested in if they have any age restrictions. Don't bother to apply if they do, just wait until you are of age. They'll throw your application away because it's the rules.

References
If you have no previous job experience (which was me at 20), you need solid references. You can't use relatives, but you can use friends, teachers, and others who can speak to your work ethic and personality. If you have friends who are employed, use them. Your teachers, dance or academic, can also be good references because they can speak on your work ethic. Just be sure to ask the people you want before you list them, lest they be surprised by a call asking about you.

The Interview
Congratulations on making it this far! This is your opportunity to show the company how much you want to work for them. Smile and shake the hand of your interviewer when you meet him/her. You should definitely dress up for your interview. Nice pants or an appropriate length skirt and a button down or polo shirt should suit most situations. Try to speak steadily and clearly. Thank them after the interview. They should tell you when they'll get back to you with their decision. It's okay to follow up if that date passes. I usually give most places until 6pm and if they haven't called, I call or go in the next morning.

It'll be difficult and frustrating sometimes, but when you get that first job everything will have paid off.

Good luck to everyone!

29 Replies to PinUp's Guide to Finding a Job

re: PinUp's Guide to Finding a Job
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 06:00 PM
WOW! This is amazing! Great advice. I agree with you that you need to apply to so many different places. I have currently applied to at least 20 places and I am currently waiting for a response. It's not easy to get a job these days and this will help alot of people. So sticky worthy! Karma for you :)
Justine:)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 07:01 PM
Interviews are hard. Especially if your going to one for an up-scale job.

I suggest going to seek.com.au and using their Interactive Interview Question Guide. It lists all the sticky questons that emplyers ask in interviews, and the best way to answer them.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 09:04 PM
^Some places also ask you to fill out a survey having to do when you deal with customers. I've had to fill out ones for GAP and Ann Taylor Loft. I know restaurants are VERY interested in how you deal with customers, especially the nasty ones ;).
By Thowramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2323, member since Wed Jan 16, 2002
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 09:31 PM
Pinup you have put to gether some good advice. some job's though esplishly in my sort of work require you to be over 25 years old this is because of incurance, also dress for the sort of job you are going for and never put on a front.
i have employed people befor and some of them put on a good front and when it come's to doing the work well thay cant and there watesed every bodys time.

well done PinupGirl
By Tashimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1224, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:50 PM
Places like movie theatres and fast food restaurants will often hire 16 and up

^^ Yeah, thats true in some places, but don't be put off by that. I know that the subway here has 11 year olds working there. I also know that the fast food stores where I live hire 13 years old +. Retail shops, shoes and clothing ect are 14 and 9 months. Ehh, you can tell i've been job hunting. :?
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:45 PM
^I certainly don't recommend people put up a front. It is important that you dress for success, no?

Another note, if you are unsure about an interview with someone for whatever reason, take it. If nothing else, it will allow you hone your interviewing skills. Don't act like you don't want them to hire you. Treat it as you would an interview for a job you really, really want. You can always turn them down if you really don't want to work there.

For example, I have been asked for an interview at a restaurant that got a 69 on their health rating. I don't want to work for an establishment that allows that sort of thing to happen. However, I'm still going to go and be polite. I need the practice and I hope to have other options open if they offer me the job.

Also, don't be afraid to ask why something like a bad health ratiing has occured. As an employee, it would affect you, too. If they refuse to answer you or try to dodge the question, you probably don't want to work for them.
re: PinUp's Guide to Finding a Job (karma: 1)
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 01:09 PM
Good work on this PinUpGirl!

You knew you'd get karma for this didn't you?? Hmmm?? What do you have to say about that, huh?

Well, I have noticed a LOT of people asking for job getting advice, and this is a wonderful idea. Sticky material fo' shizzle!

I'm sure this will help out MANY.

Ashley
By KaseyLynn Comments: 2529, member since Tue Mar 23, 2004
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 01:16 PM
Dude, this should be made a sticky....right now!!

I am ticked at myself for not thinking of this first!

There have been so many posts on finding a job lately, this will be helpful to a lot of people.

Good job!

Kasey Lynn
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 03:11 PM
I karma'd you, Plie for the "fo'shizzle" comment. That never fails to make me laugh.

If you want it stickified, hit the "Mod" button. ;)
By gashlycrumb Comments: 900, member since Wed Aug 18, 2004
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 04:42 PM
Edited by gashlycrumb (103667) on 2006-06-21 16:46:23 I wrote "notices" instead of "noticed"
One thing to add to what has already been said:

When you have to fill out a written application, take your time and use the best spelling and grammar that you can muster up. I got my first 'real' (as in taxed, non-babysitting job) when I was 14, and my next 'real' job when I was 16. Both of my bosses said that the first thing they notice is whether people have taken the time to fill out their application neatly and with a minimum of common spelling mistakes. One boss put it this way: "I give them one spelling mistake as a free-be. After that, it's in the trash."

This goes double for resumes, which you should have already checked over and proof-read before printing them off. In a competative job market, the first thing is being noticed- and poor spelling and sloppy grammar often sends up red flags to employers. The more competative a job, the more this matters.

Of course, not every job is like this. If a store is desperately looking for people, they aren't going to get nit-picky about that extra 'e' you threw in on the end of your word. However, I do know that many managers will take the overall appearance of your application/resume into account when they form their first impression of you. Their line of thinking is "If she isn't putting any thought into her application, what kind of job will she do?"

Also, before an interview, sit down and try to come up with possible questions that you will be asked, and then practice your answers to them. I did this before I went to interviews for jobs for this summer- I was mainly applying to research assistant positions, and so I sat down and came up with a list of questions that I might be asked, from the straightforward ("What experience do you have in this field?") to the personal ("Why are you applying to this position, and what do you hope to gain from it from both a professional and personal standpoint?")
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 05:37 PM
^Excellent advice about spelling. I know I'm a HUGE stickler about spelling and if I'm unsure of a word I'm using on my application or resume, I look it up. This is especially important for resumes as there is more room for error.
By Thowramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2323, member since Wed Jan 16, 2002
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 07:15 PM
here is a nother one for you PinupGirl

now all interviews are the same. i had interviews where there been in the pub now thats fun, i had interviews where the boss tosses any applaction form into the bin, and again on the side of a road talking to the boss.
i knowen boss and iam the same as enpemloyer i am not intrested in your paper work [applaction form i toss it in the bin but i take you to the job and see if you can do the work.
i dont know if this happens much in outher countrays or not but i do know it dose happen in Australia. i went for a job the outher day the guy was not even romotely intrested in any paper work at all. did i get the job dont know. have to wate till mid of necxt month. will i take his job if offerd dont know.
a lot of what iam saying come back to the sort of work you are applying for.
i dont know if this can be done today somehow i dont think so because its political increct. but years a go if you wont a job and you could not do the work thats was ok you could talk to the boss and ask if the coumpany would teach you out of your own time.
so inouther words you would work for that company for nothing but you lean a skill. i know in the indistrys that i work in now this dose not happen very much any more sadly.
On Thu Jun 22, 2006 09:57 AM
Here's a prime example of "interview frustrations" that can happen. I was told to arrive at 10:30am for my interview. The restaurant doesn't open until 11, so I assumed there would be someone to let me in. I arrived at 10:30 on the nose and there was no one there to let me in. I waited for 10 minutes before I saw someone in there, so I knocked and he let me in. The manager arrived ten minutes after that, so by now it's 10:50. Apparently she's recently fired half her servers and they've only got three right now. Granted this isn't a huge restaurant, they'd need more than three servers to effectively run the place during a busy period. By the time she actually talks to me, it's 11:10. In spite of having to wait nearly an hour, I was still polite. She asked me all of three questions:
"Why do you want to be a server?"
"How would you describe yourself?"
"What is your availability?"

After that I was out the door and informed I would hear by tomorrow at 4 and if not, to call them. Will I take the job? If I have a better option, no. If not, then yes. Both of the servers there this morning said they make pretty good tips compared to the other places they've worked.

So just something else to watch out for in the jungle of job hunts :)
By Daziling_jennyPremium member Comments: 7203, member since Sun Nov 30, 2003
On Fri Jun 23, 2006 08:10 AM
hey

aw this post is just perfect for me :]

i am currently looking for a job and have no experience which is my greatest worry

so this has been a great help

jenny xxxxxx
On Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 PM
More to add since it's too late to edit the original post:

Don't Be Afraid to Ask About Compensation
You have the right to ask how much they'll be paying you. In the case of a restaurant, you should ask if it's a wage plus tips or just straight tips. This can often make a big difference in how much money you make. Wages can range from $2.15/hr + tips to $6/hr + tips. At a retail store, you might get a wage plus commission for the sales you make. This is not true at Limited Brand stores, but I know it's true of the Ann Taylor family. Ever wonder why they ask "Did anyone help you today?" when you check out? It's so that person can get a commission for the sale. In case you are unfamiliar, a commission is essentially a tip. The person who made the sale is awarded an extra 20-40% of the total sale in addition to their wage. If you're working on a commission or tip system, the hourly wage is often lower. In the US, it is ILLEGAL to pay someone under $5.15/hr if there's no extra compensation such as a tip or commission. This goes for all 50 states. If someone offers you less than that and no alternate compensation, they're breaking Federal law. Often, it's best to ask about compensation during the interview and they should be very forthcoming with it. If they dodge the question or are vague, that's something to be concerned about.

Accepting a Position
It's okay to want to think about it after they offer you the job. If you're lucky enough to have to choose between jobs, it's perfectly acceptable to ask the person if you can take a few days to think about it. Most places don't officially hire on weekends. If they offer you the job on Friday, it's fine to get back to them on Monday with your answer. If you chose to decline, be sure to thank the person for their time. I would say wait no more than three days to get back to them unless there's an extenuating circumstance (out of town, another interview, etc.).
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Fri Jun 23, 2006 09:15 PM
I 'modded' you PinUpGirl. *wink wink*

I don't often use fo shizzle, cuz it gets over used. But I haven't seen it in a while, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

At Subway we call our roast beef 'roast bizzle'. Not in front of customers.

Ashley
thanks!!
By xox_dancer09_xox Comments: 265, member since Sat Nov 12, 2005
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:58 PM
heya what an amzing post!!

today i went for a job application at pizza hut beside me and had to fill out 70 questions!!!! yes 70!!!! lol

dont know how i done but because of this post im feeling confident!!!!

thanks!

rach x x o
By DancerBrit Comments: 434, member since Sun Dec 14, 2003
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 01:25 AM
I know Gap stores that hire 16 year olds.
I guess it just depends on the location.
By jmcn_angel Comments: 21, member since Thu Jul 20, 2006
On Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:56 AM
ok im 15 and im stuck in the tightest spot because most jobs are available to 16 yr olds. but I feel miserable because im going to be a junior and im on a 16-17 level but companies only see age. any suggestions of where i can work?
On Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 AM
^In the US, it's considered child labor and it's illegal. There are very strict laws mandating how many hours a person of a certain age can work. At 16, you can legally leave school in most (if not all) states. You can also drive, so that influenced the laws as well.

They have no choice but to take your age into account. Until you're of age, there are other things you could do. Do chores around the house and get your parents to pay you. Babysit for people. Offer to do chores for other people. I'm sure there are plenty of neighbors who would be more than willing to have you mow their lawn for $10. You have to be creative sometimes. I didn't get a job until I was 20 and that hasn't hurt me at all.
By ballerinatwirler Comments: 2083, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Thu Aug 17, 2006 08:20 PM
Thanks this actually helped to get me ready to go out and find a job! Now i have an interview!!!

xoxox

hannah
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 08:17 AM
Actually, some fifteen year olds CAN work in the United States. I think it all depends on what state you are in.

Click here for a list of ages to be able to work

In Maine you can be fifteen and work. You simply need a permit. You are limited in what you are aloud to do, for example: You can't use the oven, you can't go inside the walk-in cooler, and you can't work more than three hours on a school day.

Also, you can't get a permit here if your family is high income. So you basically can only get a permit if it looks like YOUR income will be going towards groceries, clothes, and housing. Which is dumb, considering you work so that you can spend on yourself.

Ashley
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Thu Feb 08, 2007 09:49 AM
Just a small addendum, but...

It's easier to find a job while you're employed. So if you're just starting the job hunt and you find a job that you really don't want, but still don't have any offers on the horizon, as long as you can manage it, go ahead and accept it, but that doesn't mean you should stop looking for something that will pay better or you would prefer. For some reason, being currently employed makes you a commodity other employers don't want to pass up. *shrugs*
By DaintyDaisyPremium member Comments: 519, member since Sat Apr 01, 2006
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 08:11 AM
Thanks for the great advice, I have an interview at tesco tonight and now i know what to wear :D

Thanks again!!

Laura
xxx
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch