Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Need craft ideas for dance damp
By tappintoez
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:43 AM

We are hosting a summer dance camp and I would like to incorporate a "dance" craft. Picture frame, dance bag, etc. Any ideas?

Tappintoez

5 Replies to Need craft ideas for dance damp

re: Need craft ideas for dance damp
By JazzyTapper64member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 21, 2006 03:44 PM
I've gone to my dance studio's dance camp for 4 years (I'm now a counselor), and we do crafts every afternoon, so I've done a ton of dance crafts.
Here are some of the dance-related ones we've done:
-Decorate small handheld mirrors with paint pens (just obviously, be careful that younger kids don't break them or anything)
-We took these (I think cardboard, but they were pretty sturdy) jewelry boxes (that would probably be easily found at craft stores) and painted them, and then glued on dance pictures (cut out from dance magazines). This worked out really well, too-I still have mine in my room!
-Using fabric markers, you can decorate little backpacks, and I've also decorated plain white baseball hats

Other non-dance related crafts:
-Stained glass things (obviously with plastic suncatchers and such, never with actual glass)
-Various kits (which can probably be ordered online, or be bought at a craft store) with crafts in them. I know we've made pins, painted boxes, made little cube calendar things, made jump ropes, and a ton of other stuff. But just a tip-if you do use kits, make sure that you read over the directions first to make sure that it's not too difficult. I know at my camp, there have been several occurences when the kits were impossible to figure out, or it was really difficult for little kids to grasp.
-Making necklaces/bracelets with some elastic string and beads. Little kids LOVE them, and it's nice and easy. You can also bring in string and try to teach them how to do the Chinese staircase (if you know how) or something.
-decorate bookmarks and doorknob signs (you can buy styrofoam ones at craft stores) with styrofoam shapes and markers
-decorate things (we've done little vases and pencil holders) with little cubes of tissue paper (you can either make pictures with the cubes, or just stick on random cubes of various colors) with glue. It's really easy, and the end result actually looks pretty cool.

Also, when we're done with crafts, my dance teacher always takes a picture of everyone with their crafts, and then on the last day of camp, we make Memory Books of camp, and put the pictures in it, write down any memories you had, get everyone to sign it (so people can keep in touch, etc.-like a school yearbook), and then decorate it with markers and stickers. It's always fun to make, and it's a great keepsake of camp.

If you still need ideas, try just looking around your local craft store, you're bound to get a bunch of ideas from just seeing what's there.

Hope this helped, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck with the camp!
By veggie_dancer91member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 30, 2006 02:29 PM
Dancers could use old tights and turn them into new dancewear check out this thread www.dance.net . . .
and maybe tie dye them or something
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 09:53 AM
Have older students donate old worn pointe shoes that you can decorate them with paints and dyes and glitters and decorate the studio with them.

Make tote bags with designs a paints.

By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 09:54 AM
Have older students donate old wonr pointe shoes and decorate them with dyes and p[aints and glitters.

Make tote bags with pictures from the recitals on them and decorate the outsides.

Dance Camp Shadow box - easy
By tadahPremium member
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:28 PM
We hold a camp each year for two weeks. Crafting is always an issue! Here is a porject we did with great results. The parents loved it.
Buy two frames of the same size, one with a wooden frame or colored plastic will work too, and the other a plastic box frame, the kind the cardboard piece fits inside. Take both frames apart. Line the inside of the plastic box frame with decorative paper, all 4 sides and bottom. This will be the back of your shadow box. Glue a small picture of the camper inside. We used recital "wallet" pictures. Next to this lay an old pair of the student's ballet or jazz shoes with the picture. Arrange so it stands up slightly and the picture compliments the shoes. If you have old ticket stubs or recital programs you can add these in the background too. Hot Glue the wooden frame with it's glass intact from the second frame to seal up the box, creating a shadow type appearence. Next glue the backing of the wooden frame to the back (what is originally the front of the frame) of the plastic box frame so it can be hung on the wall.

When we did this with the younger groups we had all paper pieces cut for them. They glued and decorated the inside with silk flowers, ribbon, sequins, etc. We also used all of the scrapbooking cut-outs we could find. We did the hot glueing. Takes a little planning, having the kids supply the pictures and shoes, but the results are impressive and it cost us $3.00 a camper!

If you have someone in your studio who is crafty, this is a great fundraiser also. Parents supply the shoes and pictures, you supply the labor. It's a quick project with great results!

ReplySendWatch