Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Ballet - Beginners
Guide to annoying posts on DDN-Ballet and lots of information for beginners! (karma: 17)
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Thu Jun 22, 2006 08:59 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-06-24 11:29:22

Am I too late to start:

To be quite honest, I don’t think anyone is really reading the sticky’s at the top of the page! Even though there is a sticky clearly stating about all of these is it too late to start/restart people still seem to ask if they are too old. Honestly, if you have enough determination and are willing to practice hard and concentrate, you can start ballet and be able to achieve a lot. Now, even though many people say yes you can start ballet at this age, does not mean you will become a professional.

Am I too fat:

Unless you weight 1000 pounds, cannot walk or stand for more than 30 minutes you are not too fat for ballet or any dance for that matter. Yes, if you are overweight, it will be harder to get your legs up higher or jump higher but if you work at it, you will do fine.

How to get leg higher, become more flexible or strengthen:

Practice practice practice! That’s all I have to say for that. Look through the stretching board and the strengthening board. They are there for a reason and for your own benefit. Many DDN members have posted excellent techniques for any questions about strengthening your body and expanding your flexibility. Don’t be lazy; go through those boards before you post here. I guarantee you will get your answer faster in those boards then in this board in regards to that topic.

For those asking about how to keep up in your class:

It is tough starting ballet for the first time when you are older, especially when you are in a class with girls that are your age but are more advanced. Well, first, get in touch with the ballet lingo. There are many sites out there with descriptive definitions about ballet language with pictures and videos (I recommend this one:www.abt.org . . .) By learning the ballet lingo, it will be easier to follow what your teacher is asking you to do. Read books on ballet. Sometimes there is very good and helpful advice in these books. Ask your teacher if you don’t know how to do something or if you don’t understand. Many people think “Oh if I ask how to do a tendu everyone will laugh and think I’m stupid.” WRONG! Everyone has been there were they don’t know what they are doing. Your teacher likes to know you are into her/his class and you are willing to learn. She/he will be more motivated to help you when she/he knows you want to learn. When you are critiqued in class, it is constructive criticism and you should write it down during the lesson or after your class. When you go home, you can practice what you had trouble with and next week or your next lesson, you will have improved and your teacher will be impressed. For the first few classes, you can watch the other girls in your class. My teacher shows us what we are doing before the exercise begins. I advise you to try and remember the exercise and do it without looking at other people before you start looking at your classmates. This will help you remember what you did in class. Lastly, never ever say you cannot do whatever you are asked to do without trying your absolute best. That is the worst thing to do. Your teacher won’t be as willing to help you if you have already decided you can’t do something without at least trying it. You will be surprised at what you can actually do.

Ballet during the summer:

Are you are just starting ballet in September or if you have already started but are wondering what you should do during the summer to keep your strength, flexibility and ballet technique? Well, I suggest you stretch everyday! Yes everyday! It will maximize your flexibility and help you improve your slips and developé’s. For strengthening, again, look through the strengthening boards and practice every day. Now for your ballet technique, if you are a new starter, check out this page (www.dance.net . . .). It has pictures and details on different arm positions and feet positions. Now, if you are a beginner but you have taken classes already, practice the things you wrote in your “ballet diary”. Even if you have improved, whether you are a beginner or even a professional, there is always room for improvement.

Performances:

Many people are extremely nervous when it comes to recitals and performances. Don’t be scared, if you are, all you are going to concentrate on is the crowed and not your combinations and the dance. Since you are a beginner, I doubt you will be in competitive ballet so since you are just in front of your parents, grandparents and friends, if you mess up, don’t stress about it. Everyone makes mistakes and they are not going to judge you on that. Tip on recital: even if you mess up your feet position or arm position, do not change your feet or arms. The audience does not know the routine so if you start changing your arms and legs, they it will be more noticeable that you have made a mistake. Also, SMILE!

Last but not least, links to certain boards:

-Stretching: dance.net . . .
-Strengthening: dance.net . . .
-Recitals & Performing: dance.net . . .

Hope this helps everyone :)
Justine:)

58 Replies to Guide to annoying posts on DDN-Ballet and lots of information for beginners!

re: Guide to annoying posts on DDN-Ballet and lots of information for beginners!
By anaballerina99 Comments: 478, member since Sun Jan 16, 2005
On Sat Jun 24, 2006 07:33 AM
Kudos on your efforts! I can't believe how many people just don't stop and read the stickies....dancers like you have so much good advice, but we still get hit with the most redundant questions.
re: Guide to annoying posts on DDN-Ballet and lots of information for beginners!
By angelswedguska Comments: 75, member since Wed May 03, 2006
On Tue Jun 27, 2006 09:14 PM
yes and i find not leaving a comment can be rude aswell you deserve lots of thank yous for sharing, thank you for sharing ^_^

~Angel~
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Tue Jun 27, 2006 09:15 PM
Aw thank you your so sweet:D
By irishgirl93 Comments: 423, member since Fri Jun 23, 2006
On Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 AM
Wow!! aplause, aplause!! you are amazing! thank you so much!!

xoxo MO'D
Sticky's?
By Beginnerat38 Comments: 15, member since Wed Jun 21, 2006
On Mon Jul 03, 2006 06:41 PM
I am new to dance.net and am not aware of the stickies. I assume all of those other "annoying" beginners who post "redundant" questions dont know about stickies either.

Also, there are so many advertisements flashing on the pages - it can be a bit confusing.
On Mon Jul 03, 2006 07:13 PM
Edited by JustineTarini (133395) on 2006-07-03 19:36:11 added PS
^ I was not implying (sp?) that the beginner's are "annoying" because they are new it annoys members on DDN when they keep seeing the same question when there is a stickie on the top of the page. If you were to read the top of any board, it says to read stickies and all pages BEFORE posting a new topic. It's common sense to read everything on the page if you are new to know what is going on before you just go click on the post button. I would rather look through the board to get a quick answer to my question before even posting and waiting sometimes days to get an answer.
PS: I have read a few other reply's you have posted about other stikies and to be frank, they are pretty rude. This site is to help alot of people and the reason being there are many sticky's and sometimes repeated sticky's is because those questions where asked on that board very often! This site is to help dancer's resolve any issues and help as much as they can and we enjoy it. Please do not reply rudely to helpful information such as sticky's and many posts. Just because they don't help you doesn't mean they don't help alot of other people.
By AlyssaPremium member Comments: 1020, member since Tue Jul 04, 2006
On Tue Jul 04, 2006 05:06 PM
Thanks so much for all your effort on writing this post. DDNers should absolutely start reading the Stickys, they have SO much useful information! Thanks again!

Peace, Love, && Dance
I'm sorry.
On Tue Jul 04, 2006 07:29 PM
I apologize for sounding rude or acerbic. Your post at the top of this page IS very helpful and encouraging to people new to Ballet.

Now, please bear with me for a second. Is there a sticky at the top of this page? I don't know what a sticky looks like. I did read about them in the welcome note but still dont know what I'm looking for.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended any members in other messages - my pointe (pun tolerated?) was that it might be nice to show a little more tolerance/compassion to newbies who may not be as computer savvy as you all are.

In other DDN beginner's defense, the site can be a bit confusing at first. There is a lot of info to try to digest. And for people who are new to the computer in general, it is hard to see past all of the blinking/flashing advertisements, etc.

I can imaging how it might be bothersome for people who know DDN well to have to scan past newbies redundant questions when you guys are just trying to communicate with each other about Ballet.

Again, thanks for the info. Have a great 4th! Stay safe and cool! I really appreciate your patience.
Stickys!
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 04:20 PM
O.K. Now I feel like a real Dumb A--! FINALLY I noticed the word "sticky" before some postings. Why didn't I see that before?

Again, sorry for the ignorance!
By yorksdave Comments: 26, member since Thu Apr 27, 2006
On Mon Jul 17, 2006 09:18 AM
Re the weight comment, I think you'll find a ballerina elephant in "Fantasia" who disproves your theory. (Only joking!)
By goodxnightxmoon Comments: 476, member since Fri Mar 17, 2006
On Fri Jul 21, 2006 08:44 PM
Man, I wish I had this info when I started lol. That is really cool though! Thanks for that!
By aezelle_angel Comments: 56, member since Tue Jul 06, 2004
On Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:37 PM
That is really helpful information. Thanks for sharing your knowlege
By balletgrl_4_life Comments: 30, member since Sat Jul 29, 2006
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:37 AM
I totally agree with your post.You are really great for encouraging people that it is neverto late to start dancing. So, if you are out there, deciding whether you want todance, I will say go for it bacause even if you are not a professional dancer you will have other great benefits.
By njsbgurlie Comments: 92, member since Sun Sep 03, 2006
On Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:19 PM
Yayyyy someone finally posted one of these. I have been on the boards (not posting) but reading around for a while, and someone needed to post this lol. Glad you did!
Thanks!
By aimerito Comments: 3, member since Mon Oct 09, 2006
On Mon Oct 09, 2006 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the advice!
By iceskatergurl43member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 405, member since Mon Nov 20, 2006
On Wed Nov 22, 2006 07:25 AM
I always read the stickys. There the most helpful posts!
By dancerdancer22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 474, member since Sat Oct 28, 2006
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 08:19 AM
This looks like you copyed and pasted it from someone else.I think that's ok as long as the other post is old and nobody reads it anymore.I do love these stickys though.Keep up the good work.Try inventing your own though.Come up with your own sayings instead of these.
By odetteinsneakers Comments: 324, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Thu Dec 07, 2006 04:10 AM
Edited by odetteinsneakers (157651) on 2006-12-07 04:13:33
Excuse me, but are you trying to state that questions about performances are "annoying"? That is quite...not very thoughtful of you. People who post about these things arn't trying to annoy anyone (I believe) ! They just want some encouragement or help from other fellow dancers! So even if you did give advice, I would advise you not to give such a general and somewhat hurting title as "annoying". Think about the words you use when you post , I would appreciate that.

ps And yes, I did read your "I'm not implying that beginners are annoying" post. I am speaking about your choice of words that may offend people who read your sticky and come to the wrong conclusion. So please, watch what you put on the title. Thanks.
By pointemonfeet Comments: 3, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Sun Dec 10, 2006 04:25 PM
Thank you sooo much. It is pretty good to know that I can start whenever! I was nervous but know I know a little about where to start
By AppleyBallerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 367, member since Tue Aug 08, 2006
On Mon Dec 18, 2006 07:21 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
:)

xx
By sk8ergirl13 Comments: 5, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:51 PM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2006-12-31 23:33:01 netspeak is against dance.net rules. You must spell out all words when posting.
thanks for da good help ur well appriciated..... hehehe...

mimi
By Bunhead4Lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 68, member since Tue Jan 02, 2007
On Wed Jan 03, 2007 03:54 PM
Thanks! This is some really good info! I'll bookmark this page!
By danzinchyk416 Comments: 76, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Sat Jan 06, 2007 08:21 AM
Thanks! That was really helpful! I'm not exactly a beginner at ballet, but I'm not that advanced.
-Katrina
By meganroks Comments: 66, member since Mon Apr 10, 2006
On Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:31 AM
THis is a very helpful thread too many people just dont listen to all the advice on DDN its great to have people like you to sum it all up
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch