Forum: Canada / Toronto

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Ryerson and York Univerisity
By indigo_dancer
On Fri Jun 23, 2006 08:18 AM

In April I auditioned for York University and three days prior to the Ryerson audition I decided I would try for it as well. I am very lucky that I was accepted to both considering I only have two years of dance training. I have decided that I want to go to Ryerson. Can anyone give me any information on what it is like for first year students at Ryerson or even at York and give your comments about the program? Thanx :)

29 Replies to Ryerson and York Univerisity

re: Ryerson and York Univerisity
By jazzirina
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 09:52 PM
Hey!
So I just finished my first year at Ryerson so I can tell you quite a bit about it. You have at least one dance class everyday. You are required to take other courses that revolve around dance like production,art history,music and such. The schedule is pretty good. You start almost every moring at 8:30 and end at around 2 3/5 days a week. The academic courses are pretty average and you have plenty of time to do your work. You won't be pulling all nighters like most university students. I even found myself a little bored in the evenings with not having school in the morning and dance in teh evening like most ppl are use to in highschool. THe dance program is very good kinda slow at first but gets intense in terms of technical work but that might be good for you if you say you've only had 2 years training. Its pretty modern based and thats what it seems they are training you to become. Hopefully this is of some help. If you have any other questions just let me know! More that willing to help cuz I know how crazy it can be!
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 PM
I can't speak for the dance program at York but I can speak for the university in general.

The campus itself is quite nice. People don't really have time for anything, and it's really overcrowded (though having said this I was there 3 years ago, before some of the new buildings were built).

Some of the facilities are rather dumpy, as can happen anywhere.

The other issue that occured when I was there was there were several sexual assaults and a couple of armed robberies while I was there, I also had to deal with a 6 week strike. It's not necessarily located in the best area.

The classes themselves were run really well, I was impressed with what I did recieve in the way of education.
By indigo_dancer
On Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:08 PM
Thank-you both for your replys I really appreciate it! This is a question for Jazzirina, how did you find the location of Ryerson, was it all access to dance classes and music life? And the program a Ryerson, I heard they care about your body a lot, is that true? How many people are accepted into the program and how many audition? Did you find that you were competing with your classmates in terms of technique?
Thanx again :)
Ryerson Dance Program
By j_me33
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 08:55 AM
Hey,

I am going into my 4th year at Ryerson. I'm very glad i chose Ryerson as a dance program because i find it very organized. I hear from my year that 400-600 people auditioned and we started with 41 people in the class. We are now down to 26 people. I could be wrong about how many people auditioned but i know you are lucky to get in. People leave for different reason and some are asked to leave by faculty. I have found that the program gets better as the years go on. The reason you don't have a lot going on in the night time is because the teachers and upper years are involved in rehearsals and they need the space. People start out at different levels but you become very close as a class as the years go on. I found it mentally very hard the first 2 years and physically hard the last 2 (I'm assuming for this year)

If you have more questions let me know.

P.S. I don't know a lot about York. But i think they focus a lot on teaching and the classes are bigger. I even think there are 2 classes per year. I do know you will have a wonderful teacher named Holly Small that came to Ryerson to work with us for one of our shows.
By indigo_dancer
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 03:28 PM
Thank-you so much for your reply. Since I do not have a lot of ballet training how do you think I will keep up, how fast do the teachers run the classes? And why did you find it mentally hard the first two years? Last question, why do some faculty members ask to students to leave? I know I sound a little paranoid I just want to keep up with the rest of the class and not feel like I was chosen by mistake.
Ryerson
By j_me33
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 03:40 PM
The fact that you are asking so many questions and seem really excited to do well i can promise you were not asked by mistake. I can't say exactly the reason people were asked to leave because i wasn't in their interviews, but lack of motivation i think is one reason. You have about 4 ballet classes a week and they focus on the basics in the first year to make sure you have a good ballet base. Nadia is the main ballet teacher and she will make sure you know everything you need to know about ballet. She's a bit of a stickler but you can't help but love her!!! The teachers will only teach as fast as the class can keep up. Some 1st year classes are more advanced than others, but they adapt to how well people pick up. Some dancers come into Ryerson with no ballet training and others come in with no jazz or modern training. I think you said you have only 2 years of dance training which i think they normally require 4 years min of training. You must be a natural!! Really don't sweat the small stuff and i'm sure you will do fine!! It's hard to explain why it's mentally hard 1st and 2nd year, but it mostly has to do with the faculty keeping up your work ethic and getting the most out of your abilities. It pays off in the long run.

Anymore questions just let me know.
By indigo_dancer
On Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 AM
Thank-you so much for your replies. I have two more question then I'll leave you alone :D. My first question is, is there any elective pointe classes? and my second question is, can you describe what the shows are like? Thank-you so much again!
Ryerson
By j_me33
On Fri Jul 21, 2006 06:37 PM
There is no specific point class...unless you choose to do a ballet class on point. The exception to that is if you have not taken your RAD Elementary exam you must take the class and do the exam if you want and there is point in that class.

There are 2 shows a year and the one in the fall is called Ryerson Dances. Choreographers from around the city come in to teach us a dance and we put on a show. The second (Choreographic works...AKA Choreo) is all student choreography and you must audition your pieces to get it. Both shows are for 3rd and 4th years but some times lower years get into dances and more get into choreo.

No worries about the questions i don't mind.
By indigo_dancer
On Sat Aug 05, 2006 03:25 PM
Hey J_me33. I have another question thatI would like to ask you even though I should have asked this a long while ago. How is the schedule like for first year. How much is academic and how much is dance? How about electives, how many classes can you choose? Do you mind giving me an example schedule for first year students? I am really excited. One last thing, do you think I will have enough time to take dance classes outside of school during the class day? Like any breaks in between classes?
Thank-you
Ryerson
By j_me33
On Sat Aug 05, 2006 04:43 PM
It's been a few years so I'm trying my best to remember. Most of your classes start early (like 8:00 am...haha they get later in the upper years) you will have 2 dance classes a day and maybe 1 or 2 academics. I spoke to Nadia last year about classes and she said that the program is changing a bit class wise. We used to have to take Art History (some people hate it, i loved it) I don't think you do anymore. But you have anatomy and something along the lines of theatre history and production. Dance classes are an hour and a half and other classes are 3 hours. You get one elective per semester in 1st year. You asked about taking classes during the day. Probably not during the day but later at night you could. I remember being able to go to the gym a lot in first year. Your free time becomes less and less as the years go.

I'm so ready for school to start. I love summer but i'm missing going to class. I can't believe this is my last year!!! AHHHH

see you soon

Jaime
By indigo_dancer
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:12 PM
Hey Jamie

Okay honestly this is the last time I'm going to bother you, I really appreciate your guidance and I'm really excited because I got my orientation package and I don't know it just dawned on me that I'm really going to Ryerson. My last question is kind of silly, Are you allowed to have piercings on your face and on any body piercings? I know for performances you have to take it off but what about during class?

Thank-you so much
**Dyxon**
Ryerson
By j_me33
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 03:54 PM
Haha funny question. I'm not 100% sure about it. See the thing is i have a tattoo on my foot and they didn't even notice it till 2nd year. It's not something you can really miss. Some people had to cover them up for shows i didn't. As for piercings it think it may all be on an individual basis. I also have my bellybutton pierced and it's never been an issue. My roommate had a surface piercing on his stomach and they ever said anything. What do you have? I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Jaime
By indigo_dancer
On Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 PM
I have a belly button piercing and 3 studs in the ears but the end of the summer I really wanted to get my nose redone ( I had it done before) and I wanted to get the bottom of my belly button done too and get both of my ear cartilages done. I just don't want to get them done then have to take them out that happened to my nose I got it done two months before a ballet exam and I had to take it out and it got infected and closed on me. Just making sure ;)
Hey
By j_me33
On Mon Aug 28, 2006 04:12 PM
Hey i'm making the list for 4th year and 1st year buddies and i wanted to know your name. If your not comfortable putting it on here then send it to my ryerson e-mail. j2robert@ryerson.ca. That way i can make you my buddy.

Oh and a buddy is someone that is in 4th year that can help you find your way and answer any questions you have.

Jaime
By twinkling_toesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 17, 2006 07:51 PM
Hey, sorry to kinda come into the conversation here.
but ive wanted to go to Ryerson since i was in grade 8.
[I'm now in grade 12]
its my dream. if i dont get in..i really dont know what id do.
im applying for york too, but Ryerson is definately my first choice.
im so nervous, Any application advice?..I live in Ottawa, so I'm probably going to audition by videotape[if requested for an audition in the first place]..should I? What are all the requirements..and what do they really look for? what happens at the audition[if i choose to go in for it] or what would they ask me to put on the tape? should i prepare something?
oh man, now im the question asker. hehe.
You guys are incredibly lucky. I hope I get it sooo much. I'm getting references from my dance teachers that went to Ryerson, hopefully that will help too.
Any other info an aspiring Ryerson-er needs to know?
Thank sooooo much.
-Melyssa
Ps. I'm coming to the open house in a few weeks on the 9th of november. Then its applying time after that!!! :S :)
Video Tape
By j_me33
On Tue Oct 17, 2006 09:48 PM
Hey,

So my first suggestion would be to go to the audition in person. If you really can't get to Toronto then just make sure you read up on what they want on the tape. I'm from Calgary and i flew all the way to Toronto for the audition. I did other ones while i was hear, but i think it helped me get in. They hold lots of auditions so you won't have trouble getting the chance. Just make sure the package you send in is totally complete and organized.

I'll be dancing in the show during the open house and they hold a question period after the show so you can ask all questions you want then.

As for knowing what they are looking for, i or anybody else could never tell you. Our entire class has different things to offer. Just show how much you love to dance and in the interview after the audition just make sure you tell them that it was your dream to go there. They might ask you if Ryerson is your first choice.

Good luck and i might see you at the open house.

Jaime
By Little_rockettemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:58 AM
I'm going to the Ryerson open house this Friday (Nov. 24). I am really excited to find out more about Ryerson and the dance program there. Twinkling_toes, Ryerson is my first choice too :). I have a few questions, although in the course requirements it just says grade 12 english, are there any other courses that they might take into consideration in us having?
Thanks for your time :D
Little_rockette
By indigo_dancer
On Fri Nov 24, 2006 08:35 PM
Hey Little_Rockette,

Just want to say that Ryerson is amazing! I'm inspired everyday that I walk into the studios. Every class is packed with intense learning and the professors make you aware of things that you would never have dreamed of attending to. This is the first time in my life that I wake up everyday thrilled to go to class. As for requistes they don't demand anything besides the Grade 12 U/C English and that must be at I think 65% or higher. What they really look at is passion and desire and the ability to apply corrections immediately.
I hope this helped

xoxo Dixon;)
By twinkling_toesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 30, 2006 04:26 PM
well i officially applied online yesterdat to Ryerson.
so we'll see what goes dowwwwwwn

and the open house i went to was really insightful..were you there dixon? it was [nov 16] when i went. it was only me, and 2 guys that were intersted in the dance program when iwas there, and we walked around with nadia potts for a while.
:)
By indigo_dancer
On Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:26 PM
Hey!

No I wasn't at the open house. But I'm pretty sure it was fun. I wish you all the best in your audition!
On Tue Jan 23, 2007 05:09 PM
Alright, so I have a applied to both Ryerson and York, I already have an audition for York (This saturday) and I was wondering if it was necessary to wear my hair in a bun or in just a tight slicked back ponytail?, what have others done in the past?. I'm just curious cause I don't want to get there and be the only one with a bun. I am still waiting to hear back from Ryerson about an audtition time and such, but I do know that they have at least looked at my application because I received a confirmation letter yesterday. Thanks for all your help:)
re: Ryerson and York Univerisity (karma: 1)
By indigo_dancer
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 AM
For both the Ryerson and York audition I wore buns. I remember making friends with a girl at my auditions because she was at every audition I was at and she wore a bun too. I can't remember what everyone else did but it's always best to wear your hair in a bun. For some reason Ryerson takes wayyyy to long when replying so don't worry it's normal. I remember getting my acceptance only days before I had to decide where I was going to go. Good Luck this Saturday!!!
On Fri Jan 26, 2007 02:59 PM
Thanks for all of your help Indigo_Dancer :)
By DANC1NGM0M
On Tue Feb 06, 2007 08:13 AM
The audition dates for Ryerson and the instructions for booking your audition are now posted on the Ryerson website. How did your York audition go?
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch