Forum: Folk / African Dance

what is african dance?
By kickbumk8
On Sun Jun 25, 2006 09:24 AM

Hi, me and my friend Chanelle have decided we want to join an 'african dance' club. We are not really that seriose about it, and we have decided we only want to do it to have some fun. so please could anyone just give us a description or something of what african dance actually is?

thanks a load

XXX KAte XXX

3 Replies to what is african dance?

re: what is african dance?
By selormculture
On Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:00 AM
African dance is totally different from Western or European music. The drumming, singing and dancing in African dance are all inter-twined.

Each dance has a historical background and tells a story. The costumes used are typical of the origin of the dance. Because Africa is a continent of several cultures, its dance also has so many forms.

It is, however, not easy to write all you need to know about African dance in one small article.

Perharps if you ask questions step by step, you could have specific answers. Or, I may be wrong in my approach to your quest.

All The best.
By CHaMeLeoN7
On Fri Jul 07, 2006 02:39 PM
Selorm is right. And being that Africa is such a large and culture-rich country, there are literally hundreds of different dances from different regions. Various rhythms that are for specific dances that are for women only, men only , children only or anyone. Depending on what your line of training is, for example ballet, pretty much the only things learned that will cross over is your core strength, your overall strength, and stamina. Tendues, and arabesque lines are nearly thrown to the wind here. Not in any way to say that the movement is totally wild and uncontrolled because there is much form and placement necessary to do it right, but its a completely different concept. I love traditional African dance and have ever since I began learning. But just like any other technique, it does require dedication, that is if you want to do it correctly. But in any case, good luck with the club and i hope you have some fun!
By fado
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 09:38 PM
There really are many forms of African dance I am from Zimbabwe and there are so many different styles.

ReplySendWatch