Forum: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Page:
Page 8 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
re: You might be a dancer if......
By EverPointe Comments: 69, member since Tue Dec 23, 2008
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 05:20 PM
~ when you go to dinner you count the people who think you're a freak because they think you're wearing just a super-tight shirt (leo)tucked into your skirt, a transparent mini-mini-skirt (ballet skirt), and a pair of panty-hose (tights)
~ when you go on youtube and look up dance videos instead of Fred and people like that

^Two things my friends and I are always doing :D
By EverPointe Comments: 69, member since Tue Dec 23, 2008
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 05:27 PM
Edited by EverPointe (205517) on 2009-03-26 17:31:46
Forgot one!

~trying to convince yor parents you need a barre and some hardwood flooring in your room, but they don't want to because they know then you'll never sleep
~ you get extremely frustrated when you have to explain the difference between a soloist and a principal
By Mily3912 Comments: 36, member since Fri Apr 04, 2008
On Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:14 PM
You can spell Svetlana Zakharova easily

You begin marking dances with your hands in school without even thinking about it

During the week of mid-term exams {which also happens to be the week of Nutcracker}, your friends say how they studied for hours the night before. You tell them you studied at dress rehearsal before waltz of the snowflakes, in between Spanish and Marzipan, ect.

You see your ballet teacher more than your parents

Your dance bag weighs more than your school bag

You find bobby pins in random places all the time

When you bend over to pick up your pencil in math class, your leg automatically shoots up to a 180 degree penche.

When someone says that ballet is boring, you throw something at them {I actually did this}

You have at least three t-shirts with logos of ballet companies on them.

Your body starts to hurt if you don’t dance for over three days.

You ask your science teacher for super glue because you pointe shoes are nearly dead and your jet glue is all gone

You own more dance clothes than street clothes

Even your little brother will not touch your feet
By isiscloud Comments: 47, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Tue May 12, 2009 08:02 PM
*The latest Discount Dance/Dancewear Solutions catalog arrives and you have to look at it before doing anything else

*Get sucked into doing more dances that you wanted at recital time because it's just too much fun and you can't say no

*Cry at Guys & Dolls (on Broadway) because the theater is just so cool and it's not you on stage, not just that Sky and Sarah and Nathan and Adelaide get together

*"Practice" dance in the car while driving everywhere

*Watch any dance show no matter (almost) how bad it was (couldn't watch the international dance show earlier this year)

*Continue to dance a bit even though I really shouldn't since my foot is hurt (I have to get back next week)

*Do pirouettes and piques in the kitchen even though there isn't much room. I also love visiting my dad's house since he has a nice expanse of wood floors to do piques

*Need to soak my feet after dance because they hurt so bad, but go back the next night anyway because what else would I do?

*Recruit people to come to my dance "school" or any of the workshops (nearly to the point of harassment until they do)

*Remember dance steps even though I haven't been dancing very long

*Wear dance clothes/shoes outside of dance...

:):):)
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 216, member since Fri Apr 17, 2009
On Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:19 PM
1) Your doing your stretches at your friends house. They look over and see you go into a split and comment on your flexibility. You make a face at them and then go on for 15 minutes about how you low your oversplit is, the fact that you can't do a great backcatch, etc.

2) You try and start a conversation with someone, but all you can think to talk about is dance, flexibility, strength, rehearsals, and how you can't look forward to class tonight.

3) You think about getting rid of your bed and sleeping on the floor so you have space to put a barre in your room.

4) Your mom askes you if you want to go shopping, and you get all excited. Until you find out that she meant shopping for street clothes, not dance clothes.

5) You've only watched your recital DVD 152 times (not like anyone is counting).

6) You are so addicted to DDN that sometimes hours will go by before you realize that you need to go to sleep.
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 216, member since Fri Apr 17, 2009
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 06:41 AM
7) The only reason why you learned to knit was so you could make yourself legwarmers.
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 884, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 08:09 AM
You might be a dancer if...

- instead of walking normally, you do chaines turns wherever you need to go

- you're constantly on DDN finding new ways to improve your dancing

- you watch every single dance show that comes on t.v (So You Think You Can Dance is my favorite)

- you write your name with your feet while sitting on the train

- you take pictures/ videos of yourself dancing and post it on the net so everyone can see

- you grand jete down the hall (like posted before lol)

- stretch while watching tv, surfing the net or sitting in a park

- think of dance choreography everytime you listen to music

- have a playlist of songs that you want to choreograph a dance routine to (that's totally me!!)

- do pirouettes in every room in the house

Here's the big one:

You KNOW you're a dancer when you dance so much wherever you go that your family starts to get sick of you dancing and threatens to pull you out of dance class just so you'd stop lol

the list goes on and on and on....
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 884, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 08:15 AM
Oh my god!!! I had the stretching during gym class thing happen to me soooo many times. When stretching you'd simply drop into a split with no problem and every one around you is like "woah!!! heyyy look at that!" and you're like "la la la la laaa...i wonder how I can improve my oversplits" lol
By GumbyGirl1990 Comments: 101, member since Wed Jul 23, 2008
On Wed Jun 17, 2009 03:51 PM
-when you turn out your feet when you use all the weight training machines at the gym.
-when you check which machines train your hip abductors so you can get those darn leaps higher!
-when you stretch when you play video games or watch tv so you can have fun but still feel productive!
-when people at school ask you "isn't that painful?" because apparently you're sitting in an awkward position.
-when you bring two bags to school: one for your textbooks, and one for your dance clothes.
-when people make fun of your feet and ask you what is wrong with your toes...
-when your slumber parties consist of making up dance routines and then trying to learn different moves from your favorite dance movies.
-you have to split up from your friends at the mall because no one else wants to go to Capezio...
-people who don't even know your name know that you're a dancer.
-people at school beg you to dance for them...right there...in the hallway.
-your lips are always chapped after dance rehearsal because you never get long enough water breaks!
-you lose all your friends who aren't dancers because you have no free time.
-you can't carry on a conversation when music is playing because you can't stop choreograhping a piece to it in your head.
-your school binders are half full of stick figures with numbers over their heads. (that's how I remember my choreography...lol!)
-your camera card memory is 99% full of dance routines.
-your youtube subscriptions consist of all your favorite dance choreographers.
-you've had a reoccuring dream where you leap so high that you can fly. =)
By dncrgirl825member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 241, member since Fri Jan 02, 2009
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 06:07 PM
this is so funny! i do all of these!! so true, so true
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1174, member since Thu Mar 05, 2009
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:05 PM
Oh my gosh these are great. Good times!! =]
By Mai1 Comments: 31, member since Mon Jun 22, 2009
On Sun Jun 28, 2009 04:19 PM
You know your a dancer when
- you see a large space and feel you simply must fill it with your dancing. Anything else would be a waste of the space.
-When your friends are drinking fizzy drinks all you can think of is how bad that would make you look in your leotard.
By irishgirl93 Comments: 423, member since Fri Jun 23, 2006
On Sun Jun 28, 2009 08:33 PM
when your friends get a common cold or flu and blame your feet as the cause, they're just THAT nasty!
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:44 PM
Edited by BgirlDoesBallet (212171) on 2009-06-28 23:54:37
Edited by BgirlDoesBallet (212171) on 2009-06-29 00:04:30
Sorry if there are repeats but here are ones that apply to me:

You know you're a dancer if...
-you have absolutely no social life between all the dance classes you take and the job you have in order to pay for said classes as well as the gas to get you there
-you are completely okay with having no social life because of dance
-you compliment a non-dancer's feet/ankles and they look at you like you're crazy
-you're jealous of your non-dancing friends' naturally flexible ankles and when they point their feet to show off, you get mad at them for sickling
-you have absolutely no idea why kids skip rehearsals to hang out with friends because to you, rehearsals and recitals are like Christmas
-at school, you count down the hours not until school gets out but until your first dance class of the day starts
-you look forward to each and every dance class
-you hate when people on the track team whine about being sore from practice when you never complain about hurting from dance because you love it so much
-you can't stand when people don't get the amount of effort dancers but into what they do (it's not as easy as it looks!)
-you practice tap steps under your desk
-when you raise your hand at school, you always have "ballet fingers"
-you always stand in one of the five positions
-turning in just feels wrong and it bugs you when other people do it
-you do barre exercizes everywhere (I even caught myself doing plies in the shower this morning :P)
-you constantly think and talk about dance
-you always have a dance song stuck in your head
-when your friends go through your iPod, they laugh at all the classical music you have
-your friends laugh even harder when they catch you listening to it
-you have more dance shoes than regular shoes
-you think a leotard and tights are incredibly comfortable
-you have no problem being seen in public in your dance clothes and/or full stage make up even though everyone looks at you like you're nuts (so what if I want to go out after class/rehearsal and don't feel like changing?)
-you do releves all the time (even in public)
-you've given a presentation in front of your entire social studies class with your foot in passe (yes, I really did this once)
-you spend all your time not dancing either here on DDN or on the Discount Dance site looking for new dance clothes and shoes even if you don't really need any
-new leotards make you really happy
-you watch old recitals all the time
-your biggest regret in life so far is not starting dance earlier
-when your non-dancer friends see a picture of you in stage make up and tell you you look like a hooker when you're thinking that you probably could have used more
-when buying clothes, your first thought is "could I dance in this?" even if you know you won't ever need to
-the only pictures on your Facebook page are dance related
-you hardly ever get a chance to eat dinner with your family because of dance class
-you put all your homework off until the last minute because you're too busy with dance
-your non-dancer friends don't get why you're always so stressed in May/June (uh, recital season- duh)
-the majority of playlists on your iPod are dance related
-you plan on picking something dance related for your AP studio art concentration
-your closet is filled with tutus and other old dance costumes
-you have lots of make up even though you never wear it to school
-your hair is always in a bun
-your dream house has a big empty room with wood floors and lots of mirrors
-when you're standing, you can't resist doing shuffle ball changes
-when word got around that you were a bgirl (or as some say, "breakdancer" *grr*), you had people constantly coming up to you in the hallways at school asking you to "do that thing where you spin on your head"
-you hate the word "breakdance" and correct people when they use it
-everyone is excited for the last day of school and all you care about is your recital the day after
-everyone is stressed about finals and you hardly even notice that it's finals week (you're too busy stressing about making sure everything's perfect for your recital that weekend)
-your boss hates the amount of time you need off in June for dress rehearsals, picture day, extra classes, recital, etc.
-you get mad that your windshield wipers don't go in time with the song playing on the radio (you can move on beat, why can't they?)
-you go to throw something away and you end up in an arabesque
-you're up past 1:30 in the morning making this list :P

I could come up with plenty more but it's a pretty long list as is so I'll leave it at that. And like I said, it's past 1:30 in the morning- I should really go to bed.
On Tue Jul 14, 2009 04:48 PM
-Instead of having dreams of dating rockstars or celebrities you have dreams of being more flexible (getting a 2 foot oversplit, or for me, just getting your splits.) Then the next morning you laugh about how dorky you are.

-You look through dance catalogs at least 5 times and then 5 more just for fun.
By Dancerina7 Comments: 20, member since Wed Aug 05, 2009
On Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:39 AM
Wow all of those things are true about me! So now when my friends say I walk funny, I can just say "No I'm a dancer." Lol
By onyourtoes03 Comments: 33, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 PM
You know your a dancer.....
-when you hear a song and have already preformed to it at least once.
By luvdance17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 111, member since Sun Apr 19, 2009
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 02:09 PM
Edited by luvdance17 (210475) on 2009-12-23 14:11:44 forgot something :)
You know you're a dancer when...

-you do a grande plie to get things off the bottom shelf :)
-you stop wearing dangly earrings because they're not allowed in class
-sometimes you wake up at night because you kicked yourself while dreaming about doing a pas de chat :)
-your christmas list goes like this: Theraband, tape, bobby pins, extra hairnet, cute leo...
- you know every little detail about your body's flexibility (oh, my left big toe is less flexible than my right...)
-your Ipod has a huge playlist called "Dance music" (subdivided into lyrical, ballet, belly dance, etc :)
- your parents have ever come into your room after midnight to find you in an overspilt with a guilty expression on your face...
-when buying shoes, you test to see if the soles are flexible enough to do releves :)
- your non-dance friends comment on your lack of a social life and you smile and reply "But i have DANCE!"
-you can't turn off a song in the middle of the eight-count
-when (if) you cook, you pique turn across the kitchen and do a penchee to put something in the garbage :)
By living4christmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 323, member since Thu Apr 03, 2008
On Thu Dec 31, 2009 06:30 PM
(I'm not sure if this is already on the list but...)

You might be a dancer if...you find bobby pins in random places around your room or your house. One time I found a bobby pin in an empty glass of milk! It was definitely the most random place I've found one after thirteen years of dance.

Fun post! :)
Kayla
By JADOREmeh Comments: 8, member since Tue Jan 05, 2010
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 09:26 AM
-Your ipod contains a playlist with either “choreo” or “dance” in its name
-You think your room shrunk because you keep hitting your bed or desk while dancing randomly (^-^)
-You have to keep buying makeup and accessories for performances because you wanna look good
-You feel weird about missing class/rehearsal
By LizzieDancer Comments: 19, member since Mon Mar 01, 2010
On Wed Mar 10, 2010 02:00 PM
-You are meant to be your maths homework, right now.
-You can easily walk in heels.
-Your parents get mad at you for dancing non stop.
-You dance in the shower.
-You were dancing while reading this list.
By Dancerdani1 Comments: 20, member since Tue Aug 02, 2005
On Mon Apr 12, 2010 07:07 PM
HAHAHA Every single one was true!!! Good one!
By RibenaRockstar Comments: 426, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 AM
- the reason you want a bigger bedroom is so that you can dance in it
By dancing4lyf13 Comments: 25, member since Thu Jul 31, 2008
On Mon May 10, 2010 04:57 PM
-whenever you hear music you realize you are dancing
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Mon May 10, 2010 05:24 PM
...you're skipping prom so that you can go to rehearsal instead.
...you spend all of your iTunes money on music you want to choreograph dances to.
...when your friends stare at your bruised knees in horror and ask you what happened, you just shrug and say "dance."
...it's gotten to the point where you get more sore from not dancing than you do dancing.
...you've given up sleeping in on Saturdays just so that you can take more classes.
...you see some of your dance teachers more often than your academic teachers.
...you wear your studio/recital tee shirts all the time.
...you don't think it's obsessive to drive two hours for dance classes on the weekends.
...the only things you "like" on Facebook are all the studios you dance at.
...you have a hard time staying focused while warming yourself up at ballet rehearsal because you're too busy watching the pointe dancers doing releves and imagining the day that you too will be on pointe.
...you don't think it's weird that you own (and use!) hair nets.
Page:
Page 8 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ReplySendWatch