Forum: Arts / Body Art

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Body Art
Navel Piercing FAQ's (karma: 7)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 01:44 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-09 21:29:39

Ok, I've seen a lot of questions on Belly Button Rings/Navel Piercing. So...I'll try to answer some of the most common ones! For general questions on piercings (what to look for in a studio and stuff like that) go to the top and look at the sticky PieceofToast made.

Will it hurt?

Well....That depends on your pain tolerance. I have a pretty good one. I don't think getting my navel piercing hurt at all. One of my friends said it hurt like nothing else! So, don't rely on your friends. But here is a good rule of thumb, you're getting a 14 gauge needle shoved through your skin, so you're bound to feel SOMETHING. Like I said, I don't think mine hurt, all I felt was a pinch when he did the actual piercing. But after....It was a little sore.

I got it! How do I take care of it?

Each piercer has their own version of after care. Mine told me to use unscented, non-dyed soap, in a bottle with a pump type dispenser to clean my piercing in the shower. I was to clean it twice a day or after getting really sweaty or dirty, like from working out. I was also told to sea salt soaks. (More on those in a few!) So, listen to your piercer when they give you the speech on aftercare.

It's a little swollen, what do I do?

Take some ibuprofen, that will help with the soreness and swelling. Some swelling is normal. So, don't panic! ;)

It's all red and there's some crusty stuff on my ring! What do I do?!

Ok, Redness and some whitish/yellowish discharge is normal. The discharge is stuff called "lymph". It's dead cells and plasma. It's normal. If it's on your ring/barbell dip a q-tip in warm water and GENTLY remove the crusties. DO NOT rotate your ring with "crusties" (lymph) you can irritate your piercing and cause further injury or an infection. So, while you're in the shower is a good time to remove those crusties. Don't use a washcloth, those can have germs on them. Use a q-tip. :) If you don't think this is normal or think you might have an Infection, call your piercer.

My piercer told me it's infected, what do I do? Do I take it out?
NO!!!!!!!!!DO NOT TAKE IT OUT!!!! IT WILL CLOSE AND IT CAN CAUSE AN ABCESS (I've seen a few of them, not from piercings but from other stuff, you DON'T want one, they're not pretty and they hurt like hell) BTW, An abcess is where the infection gets trapped under the skin. It's super-gross. So, back on topic....Go to your doctor, he/she will perscribe anti-biotics. If they tell you to take it out, don't. But...if you keep it clean and also DON'T TOUCH IT WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HANDS, you won't have any problems with infections, also provided you go to a clean place. :D

Ok, I've grown out of wanting my navel pierced, will it close if I take it out?

Chances are? Yes. You will also have a scar. Vitamin E oil can help minimize scarring. To do that, break open a vitamin E capsule, and squeeze the oil out and rub in.

Should I get a ring or barbell?

Personally? I recommend a barbell, they don't get caught as easily on clothes and stuff. A lot of piercers won't pierce with barbells. Some will. They say a ring is easier to clean, while I do see their point, I had NO problems whatsoever with my barbell. It never got infected, it had the normal redness and stuff, but I did sea salt soaks and took care of it and everything was fine. :)

How do you do a sea salt soak?

Take a single use cup (like a "dixie cup") put in 8oz of WARM distilled (bottled water is perfect for this) water and then stir in 1/4 TEASPOON of NON-iodized sea salt. Do NOT use iodized, it is too harsh on your piercing. Your piercer will either give you some or you can stop by any health food store to get non iodized salt. Ok, you have your cup of salt water. Go over to the couch, invert the cup on your navel and lay down for about 15 minutes. The cup should form a vacuum and stay put on your piercing. Pretty cool huh? ;) If it doesn't, just hold it there. After thats done, I would rinse my navel out. It's up to you. Some piercers say rinse, others don't.

When can I change my jewerly?

Ask your piercer this one. Mine said not until it's healed (6-12 months).

Can I dance with it in?

Listen to your body, I wouldn't recommend sliding across the floor, but just be careful you don't catch your piercing on something. So, if it hurts, stop. ;)

How much does it cost?

Well, i'm not sure, most places the normal is $30-$50. Don't shop around for the best price, so if you know a very clean shop in town, but they charge $50, but another shop charges $20, but looks a little seedy, I'd rather pay the $50. I paid $55 for mine. ($50 for the actual piercing, jewerly included, plus a $5 tip for my piercer :D) Please, Please, PLEASE tip your artist!!! They don't make an hourly rate more than a few dollars and hour, they live off tips, TIP THEM!!!!

Ok, I think thats a round-up of the most common questions I see on this board. If you need further assistance, just ask! :D

43 Replies to Navel Piercing FAQ's

re: Navel Piercing FAQ's
By DancerGirl_08 Comments: 394, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 05:47 PM
Edited by DancerGirl_08 (118976) on 2006-07-05 17:50:13 Forgot to mention something.
This was a good post. You covered pracically all of the common questions, and gave good advice.

There is just one thing I have to disagree on...

Each piercer has their own version of after care...So, listen to your piercer when they give you the speech on aftercare

It's true, each piercer does have their own version of aftercare...unfortunately, their are many piercers out there that are giving you incorrect or out of date aftercare instructions. So, you shouldn't always listen to your piercer when they tell you what the "appropriate" aftercare is (Let me rephrase that - listen to them while they tell you what to do, just DON'T follow their instructions when you get home) Instead follow the APP (Association of Professional Piercers) guidelines for aftercare, which can be found by clicking the following link...

www.safepiercing.org . . .

Oh, and no matter what your piercer tells you do not, I repeat do not use Bactine on your navel piercing!

Just had to point that one thing out - otherwise great post - very informative!

~*EmilyRose*~
By Heidi2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Mon Jul 16, 2001
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 05:50 PM
Karma! Really good post!! I already have mine, but before I got it these are just the questions I was asking :D Thanks.

Love }|eidi XxXx
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:05 PM
Keep in mind, too, that a CBR or other ring can twist around to get all the dirty stuff inside your piercing just as easily as they can twist to clean them.
By talntdella Comments: 7, member since Fri Jun 02, 2006
On Tue Jul 18, 2006 04:24 PM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-18 18:47:32 you can not copy someones comment, and post it as your own.
Karma! Really good post!! I already have mine, but before I got it these are just the questions I was asking Thanks.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Jul 27, 2006 03:30 PM
My piercer recommends strongly against CBR's for navel piercings. They get caught on stuff easily and nasty little germies can get caught where the ball attaches to the ring. Definitely go for a barbell if you're given a choice (I wasn't).
By redhed Comments: 6, member since Thu Aug 03, 2006
On Thu Aug 03, 2006 07:36 PM
i love belly rings that dangle they are very flattering i think
By Dance_4eva Comments: 2164, member since Fri Mar 21, 2003
On Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:47 PM
Thanks for all of this information ^_^ I finally got it done :D

They only told me to put anti-bacterial soap everyday or wash it w/ antil-bacterial sope or what we have here called "Dial" soap.
By Kswissmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Fri Aug 11, 2006 06:13 PM
Good post! This will definitely come in handy next year when I get mine done!
By xoxdancer69xoxx Comments: 153, member since Fri Dec 17, 2004
On Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:27 PM
does the soap have to be in a liquid formula? I was wondering if there is certain ingredince in some soaps i should stay away from?
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 04:43 AM
Yes, anything scented or colored. And liquid soap is just easier to use in my opinion. So I guess you could use plain, non-scented, non-colored bar soap. But I think with liquid soaps you get a much better lather. :) PM me if you need anymore advice.
By xoxdancer69xoxx Comments: 153, member since Fri Dec 17, 2004
On Tue Aug 29, 2006 08:42 PM
is it bad to clean you piercing with antiseptic. i think it would be good to dis infect it but i dont no.
On Wed Aug 30, 2006 03:10 PM
Depends on the anti-septic, I said soap, regular, liquid, unscented, non colored anti-bacterial soap because thats what most piercers reccomend. Most antiseptics will be way too harsh and will end up doing more harm than good, as in killing the good tissue instead of the germs, it will kill both. Call your piercer.
By inka_08 Comments: 13, member since Wed Sep 27, 2006
On Fri Sep 29, 2006 07:50 PM
what if i wanted to peirce it myself?i tend to do better with the pain if I do it.......
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:26 PM
^Uh, NO.

No times two hundred eighty-seven to the nineteenth power.

In short, no, don't do it.

~H.
On Sat Sep 30, 2006 02:15 AM
You're a dumbass if you pierce it yourself, plain and simple.
By Ammi Comments: 144, member since Sat Oct 28, 2006
On Wed Nov 01, 2006 07:56 AM
thanks for posting this, its really helpful. though, I don't think I'll end up getting my navel pierced. I don't have a very high pain tolerance... (that and I'de be to chicken :P)
By StylishFish Comments: 278, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:28 AM
My piercer said saline water can be used (it's just salt in water...). I got a bunch of mine at a pharmacy in cute little 10ml plastic bottles. It's just the right amount to clean the navel every other day. The salt supposedly helps in healing.
By PINKYx3 Comments: 13, member since Sat Jan 13, 2007
On Mon Jan 15, 2007 04:19 PM
thanks for all this information!...i want to get mine done next fall
By KK_Danceworkzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 87, member since Wed Feb 07, 2007
On Thu Feb 15, 2007 06:24 AM
That was good info!

I have had my ears, belly button and toungue and my ears were the sorest! i can't feel any of them no don't realise thay are there!
By Five678 Comments: 363, member since Tue Dec 14, 2004
On Tue Feb 20, 2007 02:28 PM
what a great post! i really want to get my navel pierced, but i have really sensitive ears. they'll swell up and get itchy with a lot of types of earrings. does that mean the the skin of my navel will act like that too?
By danceteachfl Comments: 25, member since Mon Jul 10, 2006
On Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:25 AM
I had a student who was told not to do any sit ups for six weeks after being pierced. She did and it got inbedded in her skin, so dancers think about that before piercing.
By fasion_person Comments: 6, member since Tue Mar 20, 2007
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 01:54 PM
thanks for tips every one
By fasion_person Comments: 6, member since Tue Mar 20, 2007
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 01:55 PM
thanks for tips every one
when i get mine pierced i well keep all the tips in mind which will help
By twinkletoes08member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2082, member since Tue Feb 18, 2003
On Wed Apr 04, 2007 02:00 AM
Great sticky"

Im 12 and had mine done and the piercer was great! They tell you everything you need to know about cleaning, what you should do ect, (i cant think of any more)

Thanks
Beth
xxx
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch