Forum: Advice / Girls Only

Girls Only
Period FAQ - Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know, And Some Things You Don't! (karma: 11)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 AM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-09 00:02:19 edit, schmedit!
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-09 00:03:34 edit, schmedit!
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-09 00:04:15

Alright - a new FAQ! I included some information found on the internet about menstruation - otherwise known as a period, otherwise known as *&^%*%^$(*&^(^(!

Enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you got 'em!

<b>What happens during menstruation?</b>
Menstruation is a woman's monthly bleeding. It is also called menses, menstrual period, or period. When a woman has her period, she is menstruating. The menstrual blood is partly blood and partly tissue from the inside of the uterus. It flows from the uterus through the small opening in the cervix, and passes out of the body through the vagina. Most menstrual periods last from 3 to 5 days.

In the first half of the menstrual cycle, levels of estrogen rise and make the lining of the uterus grow and thicken. In response to follicle-stimulating hormones, an egg in one of the ovaries starts to mature. At about day 14 of a typical 28-day cycle, in response to a surge of luteinizing hormone, the egg leaves the ovary. This is called ovulation.
In the second half of the menstrual cycle, the egg begins to travel through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Progesterone levels rise and help prepare the uterine lining for pregnancy.

If the egg becomes fertilized by a sperm cell and attaches itself to the uterine wall, the woman becomes pregnant. If the egg is not fertilized, it either dissolves or is absorbed into the body. If pregnancy does not occur, estrogen and progesterone levels drop, and the thickened lining of the uterus is shed during the menstrual period.

<b>Cramps! They’re so bad!</b>

Now, not everyone has cramps (my dumb, lucky sister doesn’t get cramps at ALL). Not everyones are horribly bad. But, sometimes they’re bad. Sometimes, they’re REALLY bad. Sometimes, they’re so bad, you can be ill. Read on…

<b>What Are Painful Periods or Dysmenorrhea?</b>

This condition refers to the pain or discomfort associated with menstruation. Although not a serious medical problem, it is usually meant to describe a woman with menstrual symptoms severe enough to keep her from functioning for a day or two each month. Many teens don't suffer from dysmenorrhea, as their uterus is still growing, and yet they may get it several years after their first period begins. Symptoms may begin one to two days before menses, peak on the first day of flow, and subside during that day or over several days.

The pain is typically described as dull, aching, cramping and often radiates to the lower back. The pain from your period that is severe enough to be given this name by your health care provider is thought to be the result of uterine contractions, caused by prostaglandins (a hormone-like substance, normally found in your body). Prostaglandins are known to stimulate uterine contractions. In addition to pain other symptoms may include, headache, diarrhea, constipation, and urinary frequency and fainting.

<b>How Can I Get Relief?</b>

There are many over-the-counter drugs or NSAIDs -- (ibuprofen, naproxen, advil) and acetaminophen, or Tylenol that may provide relief. A heating pad works well for cramps when used with OTC pain meds. Some women benefit from exercise; some from rest. There are also prescription drugs to help alleviate this painful disorder. Talk to your health care provider about them. Before you diagnose yourself, see your health care provider to be sure the pain you are having is not associated with another condition like PID, Endometriosis or any other medical conditions

<b>Irregular Periods</b>

It can take up to 2 years from a girl's first period for her body to develop a regular cycle. During that time, the body is essentially adjusting to the influx of hormones unleashed by puberty. And what's "regular" varies from person to person. The typical cycle of an adult female is 28 days, although some are as short as 22 days and others are as long as 45.

Changing hormone levels might make a girl's period short 1 month (just a few days) and long the next (up to a week). She can skip months, get two periods almost right after each other, or alternate between heavy and light bleeding from 1 month to another.

But any girl who's sexually active and skips a period should see a doctor to make sure she's not pregnant. And if your daughter's period still hasn't settled into a relatively predictable pattern after 3 years, or if she has four or five regular periods and then skips her period for a couple of months, make an appointment with her doctor to check for possible problems.

<b>If a teenage girl gets her period twice in one month what does that mean? is it even possible?</b>

If one of the bleeding episodes is extra bleeding rather than a menses. It may be due to ovulation. Also if something happens to the corpus luteum gland on the ovary in the second half of the cycle, this may induce extra bleeding. Usually if the extra bleeding does not occur more than two months in a row, You don't need to have it investigated.

<b>Frequently Asked Questions About…Your Period!</b>
<b>Everything You’ve Ever Wanted To Know, And Some Things You Don’t!</b>

<b>1. How Do You Dance With Your Period?</b>

Umm…how did you dance before?

While many girls swear by a simple tampon (test the different brands, to see which one is right for you. And always use the lowest needed absorbency.), many girls still stick with the pads.

With a pad, this is the trick – wear a thin pad. Get an ultra thin pad – you can get them so thin, you almost don’t notice them. With pads, and dancing, the higher the absorbency, the better it is…wear a pad, and a black leo. If you are allowed to wear a skirt, wear a black one. You’ll be just fine.

<b>2. I Might Be Getting My Period Soon, And I’m Scared To Tell My Mom! Help!</b>

This one is a big problem, and one I went through personally. I didn’t want to tell my mom…I didn’t think it was any of her business!

Trust me…you’ll want to tell your mom. It’s embarrassing – some moms will hug you. Some moms will cry. Some moms will reveal the secrets of where they put the tampons in the cabinet.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, my mom did all three!

Your mom needs to know. If you can screw up enough courage to tell her yourself, write her a note.

Or, get your crazy little brother to do it. They’ll do almost anything! :D

<b>3. I’m Scared Of An Accident At School! What Do I Do?</b>

Observe your period.

Learn when you’re the heaviest, the lightest. Learn the worst days for cramps. Learn the pain relievers that work the best for you. Most importantly, learn to pack a pad or tampon in your bag! Pack extras when it’s that time!

<b>4. Ok, I’m In High School, And I Don’t Have My Period Yet. Help!</b>

Well, first, your kind of lucky. The cramps. The pads. The tampons. The Ickiness. Trust me when I say that your not really missing anything.

But, I know that isn’t what you wanted to hear.
Talk to your mom. When did she start? You should start around the same time.

However, if you are underweight, or even overweight, your period will be the first thing to be affected. If your in poor health, your period may be delayed. There is any number of things.

If you are a certain age, and you don’t have your period, and your mom already had hers by the time she was your age, hit the doctor. Even if there’s nothing wrong, he or she will clear it all up for you.

<b>5. Ok, I’ve Got My Period. I’m Invited To A Sleepover. I’m Feeling Really Weird About This! What Do I Do?</b>

Well, don’t some of the girls that are going to be there with you have their periods? Just take your choice of protection (pad or tampon) with you to the party. Make sure you have enough in case an accident happens (if you think you’ll need two, bring 4). Get a cute little makeup bag or change purse for them.

When you need to go to the bathroom, quietly excuse yourself, grab your makeup bag, and head for the bathroom. Even if anyone notices, they won’t say anything. Especially if they’ve been there.

<b>6. Sometimes, It Seems Like I Can’t Sleep While I’m On My Period. Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions?</b>

It could be any number of things:

Worry over leaking from your pad or tampon could be keeping you awake. If you wear a tampon at night, use a small pantyliner, or pad, in addition.

If you wear a pad, get a pad with wings, or side protection. This will help.

It could also be cramps. About one hour before you go to bed, take two Advil, or your chosen pain reliever.

<b>7. Can You Have Sex On Your Period?</b>

You can.

Some people do not care for it. Of course, there may be some blood, and many people, both males and females find that to be a turnoff.

Remember, of course, that you can still transmit sexually transmitted diseases, and you can also get pregnant, even while on your period. So always, always use protection.

<b>8. This Is Only My First (Second, Third…) Period, And It’s Really Heavy! Help!</b>

At first, while your period is still sorting itself out, it may be very heavy. Your period might then become lighter after time; and may actually become days shorter. It’s perfectly normal.

Use a heating pad if you need one, and learn what pain relievers work for you!

<b>9. What Are Some Signs That You Are About To Get Your Period?</b>

This varies for every person.

Some find that their discharge darkens. Some find that they actually begin cramping before their periods start.

Some notice a sudden blemish on their faces. Some experience sore breasts, some experience weight gain. For weight gain, anywhere from 2 to 10 pounds is average, and the weight is lost after the period is over.

<b>10. When You Have A Leak, What To You Do?</b>

First, don’t panic!

Second, closely examine your underwear, and outer clothing. If the leak is small, and there is no blood visible on your clothing, simply change your underwear, apply a fresh pad, or insert a fresh tampon, and your good to go!

If the leak is larger, and there is visible blood on your clothing, again, simply change your underwear and pants, clean up as best you can, insert a fresh tampon or apply a fresh pad, and your good to go!

If your not in a situation to change your clothes, then this is where it gets tricky…hope that a friend has a jacket or sweatshirt with them, or hope that you have one with you yourself. Tie that around your waist, and get to a situation where you can change your clothes as quickly as possible. Apply a fresh pad, or insert a fresh tampon, and your all set!

<b>11. I First Started My Period Over A Year Ago, And I’m Still Irregular – I Get It Once Every Two To Three Months. Is That Normal?</b>

Strangely, yes.

Some people’s periods never actually get regular. Some people have problems with ovulating, and do not do it regularly. Regular ovulation is essential to having a regular period.

Also, if anything has changed in your life – if your eating more or less then normal. If your more stressed then normal, less stressed then normal. If you’ve gained or lost weight, your period is going to be the first thing to be thrown off, every single time.

If your concerned, as always, head to your doctor. He or she will most likely give you a physical, and put you on the pill to regulate your periods.

<b>12. OB Tampons Come With No Applicator. Are They Hard To Put In?</b>

Just like with most other products, this is going to depend on who you ask.

Some people swear by them. They swear that they’re easier to put in, comfortable, small and discreet.

Some people hate them. They swear that they’re harder to put in, uncomfortable, the whole bit.

The only way to find out is to try them for yourself!

<b>13. What About The “Instead” Cup? Has Anyone Tried Them? Do They Work?</b>

Again, this is going to vary by the person.

Some people will love them, and swear that they’re the greatest things ever.

Some people will hate them.

The only way to find out for sure is to try them for yourself!

<b>14. Do You Gain Weight During Your Period?</b>

Yes. It’s completely normal, and happens to a lot of people!

The weight that you gain is retained water. The average is anywhere from two to TEN pounds, and it’s more than normal.

Also, it goes away after your period goes away. :)

<b>15. How Do You Decide Which Brand Of Tampons You Like Best?</b>

You’ll have to just try them!

Before you buy, don’t buy the “Super Pack”! Buy just a small pack, and try them out. If you like them, the store will always have more!

<b>16. How Come I Start My Period Right Before A Dance Competition?</b>

It’s the stress of the situation! That’s it!

When anything changes for you – if your stressed, if your eating different, if anything happens at all, your period is the first thing to be affected. Sometimes it comes late, sometimes it doesn’t come at all!

(Oh, don’t we all wish it “didn’t come at all” a little more often?)

What can you do? Get your protection of choice, wear dark underwear if you can do it, and hope for the best!

<b>17. So, Alright. I Have PMS, But No Period! What The Heck?</b>

Unfortunatly, this may just be part of the period curse. I don’t know of any medical reasons why it would happen, but it sounds just strange enough to be true!

<b>18. My Period Has Always Been Fairly Regular. All The Sudden, I Get It A Week And A Half…Early! Is That Normal?</b>

When anything changes for you – if your stressed, if your eating different, if anything happens at all, your period is the first thing to be affected. Sometimes it comes late, sometimes it doesn’t come at all!

<b>19. Ok, so I can have sex on my period. But, I can't get pregnant, right?</b>

There is no absolute yes, or absolute no answer to this question.

You can get pregnant any day of the month. There are certainly days where it's less likely to happen, and days where it's more likely to happen - it's the most likely to happen on the day that you ovulate.

When is that day? It's hard to say - the widely held opinion is that that day is 14 days before your period is due to start, although a growing number of people in the medical profession will tell you that THAT isn't even for certain anymore.

There is also a method of family planning, called the Rhythm Method, where you chart your bodies rhythms and temperature, in order to establish the date of your ovulation, so you know which days your the most fertile. However, the Rhythm Method can prove to be a quite involved method of family planning to use, particularly if you have other things in life (like school or dance, for example) that are pulling away your focus.

In short - there's no guarentee that you WILL get pregnant if you have sex on your period, but there's also no guarentee that you WON'T. So, as always - protection, protection, protection!

Hope you enjoy the new and updated version of the FAQ!

Theresa

<b>Sources</b>

www.brown.edu
www.coolnurse.com
kidshealth.org
www.wdxcyber.com

22 Replies to Period FAQ - Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know, And Some Things You Don't!

re: Period FAQ - Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know, And Some Things You Don't!
By Emmymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2437, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:09 PM
Another great post, Theresa! Thanks for putting in the time to update this, and it’ll hopefully help everyone new (and everyone used to) their period.

*Karma fairy waves her wand*
re: Period FAQ - Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know, And Some Things You Don't!
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1585, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Sun Jul 09, 2006 02:24 PM
Nice post! This will be helpful to girls that doesn't have their period yet or have questions about it. Thanks!

Karma for you :)
By Energy_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2348, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Tue Jul 11, 2006 06:24 AM
Thank you :D x
By cactus_chickmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1963, member since Fri Jun 30, 2006
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 01:47 PM
hia!
nice post! good for everyone!

love steph x
By pwq12 Comments: 108, member since Tue Aug 21, 2007
On Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:22 PM
thanks so much that was so help full i havent got mine yet but soon though
By highlandhearts03 Comments: 23, member since Tue Aug 28, 2007
On Thu Sep 06, 2007 06:56 PM
thanks for the great post!!!!!
its great o be able to know everything!
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Thu Nov 22, 2007 07:57 PM
I can always tell exactly when I'm going to get mine:
whenever there is something important that I would rather not have it at/during/for towards the end of the month, it will always start for me the day before that event. It really sucks, but hey: at least I've figured it out.
By st_88_keys Comments: 27, member since Sun Nov 25, 2007
On Sun Dec 02, 2007 06:21 PM
This is a great post, especially for girls who haven't started their period yet. But even for girls who have it, it has some great info.
By dance_skatr Comments: 3, member since Sat Jan 26, 2008
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 04:17 PM
how do you wear a pad when you shouldn't wear underwear for ballet under your leo and stuff? ps. tampons dont work for me
By clara_lee1989 Comments: 75, member since Sat Aug 18, 2007
On Sun Mar 02, 2008 03:38 AM
This is great. Thanks! I would have loved to have had this when I first got my period.
By hiphop_lova96 Comments: 24, member since Thu Mar 06, 2008
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 07:17 PM
this is some great info I really apricated it. I think you really helped a lot of girls so I thought that was preety cool of you.
Sammy
By Jazzbug5896 Comments: 61, member since Mon Feb 04, 2008
On Thu Mar 13, 2008 08:08 PM
Thats another good post... that was very useful in my book

Taryn
By amii_bbe_xxx Comments: 28, member since Wed Feb 13, 2008
On Mon Mar 17, 2008 01:42 PM
[size=30] [colour=pink]Another fantasic post Theresa
keep it up hunni.

:) :D
By pointe345 Comments: 28, member since Thu Dec 27, 2007
On Thu May 01, 2008 05:51 AM
Great Post, helped people out before they start and people who have alread started
cathy
x
By teran Comments: 13, member since Wed Jul 30, 2008
On Fri Aug 08, 2008 05:49 AM
thanks alot i think this forum will help girls who dont have mothers or older sisters alot
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Wed Nov 19, 2008 04:02 PM
Great informative thread, Theresa! Very nice work and I'm sure it will help many people. Thank you for blessing everyone with this informative post!
By Silvergladegirl Comments: 22, member since Thu Jun 26, 2008
On Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:12 AM
I wish I could have read this when I was 13! I was terrified to tell my mom. Thanks for the post, I know it's going to put a lot of girls at ease
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1483, member since Fri Mar 20, 2009
On Wed Jul 08, 2009 08:44 PM
This thread is epic.
Karma for you!
I can't help but read it every time it's time for Aunt Flow to visit.
By balletbaker911 Comments: 105, member since Sat Dec 03, 2011
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 08:23 PM
I have a ballet audition this weeked and just started my period today! What do I do? I'm in pink tights and black leo!
By Dancerr104 Comments: 1, member since Thu Apr 05, 2012
On Thu Apr 05, 2012 03:50 PM
help help help! I have a dance recital in about one week and im getting my period probably during rehearsals were only allowed to wear thongs and I can't wear thong pad and I cannottttt wear tampons so dont even suggest tampons. please help i really need to know what should I doooo
By d8ncr00 Comments: 24, member since Fri Apr 13, 2012
On Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 PM
Oh please tell your mom. It will take some of the pressure of what you are feeling. Mom can explain it and help you through the process. I know some of the girls are younger these days so I feel - all the more important to share with mom. She loves you and expecting this change in you - she may get worried if you do not tell her.
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:30 AM
dance_skatr wrote:

how do you wear a pad when you shouldn't wear underwear for ballet under your leo and stuff? ps. tampons dont work for me

I know a trick that allows a pad to stick directly to tights!

I don't usually wear a pad during my periods because it irritates me more than tampons. However, there are days when I do need that extra protection. For those days, I usually wear the body tights because the pad doesn't seem to move around as much than if I wore regular waist-high tights. I would also use skinny, narrower pads that wouldn't peek out through the front of my leotard.

The trick is to make sure the fabric of the tights is stretched out enough before sticking the pad onto it, First, put on your body tights like normal. Then pull them down just enough to slip the pad onto that little lemon-shaped panel and smooth it out. Then pull the body tights back up. Make sure you pull the front seam of your tights up as far as possible though, or the pad will unstick itself and you'll have to start all over with a new pad.

Sorry for such a long explanation.

ReplySendWatch