Forum: General / Welcome

Page:
Page 1 of 431 2 3 4 5 6 39 40 41 42 43
Welcome
New members: Come be adopted by an older member! (Older members, will you help?) (karma: 11)
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:55 PM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-07-15 11:22:16

My idea: New members come to this post to be adopted by an older member. The older member will help them around the site, show them the ropes, and answer their questions.

I think the 'older' member should be somebody who has been here for a while (at least three or more months) and knows the rules.

The new member can be a complete n00b to the site, or somebody who has been here a while that still needs help with the rules.

Anybody up to helping me out?

New members just reply that you would like to be adopted and we'll take care of the rest!

Old members reply that you would like to help and I will PM you with the name of the new member you will adopt!

Thanks for your time! I hope this works :)

Ashley

1064 Replies to New members: Come be adopted by an older member! (Older members, will you help?)

re: New members: Come be adopted by an older member! (Older members, will you help?)
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 01:51 PM
I'll adopt someone! As long as they're cute and cuddly.
re: New members: Come be adopted by an older member! (Older members, will you help?)
By princess_steffimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1513, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 02:04 PM
Yeah me too, Ill adopt someone. How fun :D

xxxx
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 02:28 PM
Thanks ladies!

I'll hope we'll get some newbies to come here for help. I'll PM you once we do. Let's hope this works!

Ashley
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 02:56 PM
cute and cuddly newbie???

ooooh! me too...

just one thing though... This is just a show the ropes on DDN, not an add me on messenger, want to meet me thing, is it?

Not that that's a bad thing, unless it's a creepy old guy, and he's good at hiding it, and gets your messenger, and personal details from other online-ness such as LJ...

And he lives near you...

Aside from the pessimisms, I'll be an adoptive parent!!
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1585, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 03:23 PM
I want to adopt someone too! :D
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 04:00 PM
I´d do it.

I think it would be best, if you would give us a member who´s slightly having the same interests (like giving a ballet-lover to a ballet-lover or a discoer to a discoer). The reason is that we know the boards of our interests best.

Kathy
By teddo1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1158, member since Fri May 13, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 04:22 PM
i'm in for it... sounds like fun :)

em
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 04:48 PM
No, you wouldn't have to add them to your IM list. This would be pretty much private messaging, unless of course you decide to use e-mail.

Now I've got some great volunteers, but I wonder if any new people will actually come asking for an adoption?

Any ideas on 'reaching out'?

Ashley
re: New members: Come be adopted by an older member! (Older members, will you help?) (karma: 1)
By Isla Comments: 1299, member since Tue Sep 06, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 07:04 PM
Hmmm...I don't know how likely it is that no0bs will admit they need help, at least as blatantly as replying to the thread.

Maybe, if you got a big enough database of older members willing to help out, the registration form could include a question like "Would you be interested in having an older member show you the DDN ropes?", and then they could be matched with someone right from day 1.

Great idea, I really hope you can get it working :)
By tapnjazzbabymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1265, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 08:51 PM
i'm in, i'm in, i'm in...

but also i think we could offer more than just telling them the rules...

prehaps if this takes off there could be competitions, games, etc (can't think of any more!) LOL

love keely..xoxo
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 09:56 PM
I want to help also. I would prefer if they took ballet, so we would have some common ground.
re: New members: Come be adopted by an older member! (Older members, will you help?) (karma: 4)
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Tue Jul 11, 2006 01:04 AM
My n00b will beat ALL your n00bs ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
By Orangesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4291, member since Wed Jun 23, 2004
On Tue Jul 11, 2006 06:43 AM
Aw! I want a nOOb too!!

It could be fun, or frighening...but hopefully fun!!

XO|oranges|OX

P.S. My nOOb would so beat yours Muffin! so there! :P
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10712, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Tue Jul 11, 2006 07:00 AM
Haha, now we´re all here, waiting for our cuddly noobs, but no one comes. :D

Kathy
On Tue Jul 11, 2006 07:38 AM
What if we tried something likes Isla's idea?

We go to the posts in this welcome forum where a n00b says, "I'm new, let's be friends!" And you ask if they'd like to be adopted for a while. If they do, then you PM back and forth helping them out, until they are ready to make it on their own in the scary DDN world.

They are cute and cuddly after all.

Anybody want to make a registration form? Should I start a new thread for that? "If you're new and need help, come here!" Would something like that be appropriate? I wish I had all the answers :)

Ashley
By dancingbeth Comments: 2252, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Tue Jul 11, 2006 01:20 PM
I would love to get to know and help a new member :)
By dancingnbarefeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 121, member since Wed Jul 12, 2006
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 09:04 AM
hi. im new and would like to be adopted! i havnt yet become a full member. does that matter?
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 09:17 AM
I'll adopt one!
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1970, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:17 AM
Oh, I'd love to adopt one! If we get any who are willing... :)
By Firthymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2588, member since Tue Jan 18, 2005
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:43 PM
I'd love to adopt!
Although I do other dance types, I'd prefer a disco'er as that's the board I spend nearly all my time on.

Hannah x
By adobe711member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 416, member since Wed Jun 09, 2004
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 02:27 PM
This sounds interesting...I'm in.

~*adobe711*~
By Peridotmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2389, member since Mon Dec 27, 2004
On Wed Jul 12, 2006 05:35 PM
How cute! I want to adopt a newbie, too! :] Great idea, ForgottenPlie. I wish somebody had adopted me when I was a n00b.

~Adagio
Adopt Me
By TapizoidPremium member Comments: 438, member since Fri Jun 30, 2006
On Thu Jul 13, 2006 05:17 AM
I'm not cute and cuddly (but my wife thinks I am). I'm a kinda sorta new dancer (only been dancing for about 3 years) but really do have a passion for dance.

As much as I enjoy the idea of being adopted by a kid, I should probably be adopted by an adult because I'm grown up and married and the father of two awesome kids - one of whom shares my passion for dance (and far exceeds my ability). But for awhile there, the whole family danced together 'til my wife and son got frustrated and gave it up (long boring story).

I'll go ahead and ask my questions about DDN too:

1 - I like the virtual school thing! Is there a dorm for tappers and cloggers? They all have ballet names and I have no idea what they mean. How do I choose a dorm?

2 - I've seen some absolutely amazing icons here, and it looks like alot are "homemade" animated gifs. I'd love to create one of my own... can anyone tell me how y'all do that?

Thanks a whole bunch, y'all! This adoption thing is a cool idea!

-Robin
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Thu Jul 13, 2006 05:24 AM
I would be interested in helping a newbie since I've been on the site for 3 and half years. It looks like we have two newbies interested. Have you given them an older member, ForgottenPlie?
Page:
Page 1 of 431 2 3 4 5 6 39 40 41 42 43

ReplySendWatch