Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

What is your favorite KIND of RG photo?
By tomtom1220
On Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:34 AM
Edited by tomtom1220 (54151) on 2006-07-18 11:47:31 Add my name...

A curiosity question... (I happen to be one of a few photographers who follows rhythmic. Totally is the most beautiful sport, yes? Ok,I admit I am trying to make 10 posts here on dance.net!)

Re the question-->What is your favorite KIND or TYPE of rhythmic image??? Here is a quick collage image to help...

www.tomtheobald.com . . .

What TYPE you like most...
-Personality portraits up close? (eg. Laura with Ines image)
-Gymnasts in real life having fun? (eg. Anya dancing with Irina Kovalchuk at banquet away from carpet)
-Blistering action? (eg. Irina Tchachina straddle jump)
-Flexibility? (eg. Dominika)
-Gymnast posed with studio flash?
-Victory moment and waving flowers?
-Training only and no make-up?
-You have idea? Tell us!
Cheers, Tom T

15 Replies to What is your favorite KIND of RG photo?

re: What is your favorite KIND of RG photo?
By illusiongirl
On Wed Jul 19, 2006 09:43 AM
Welcome to Dance.net Tom! Yes, I agree with you 100% - rhythmic ROCKS!!

I think all of your pics are great, but personally I love the ones of gymnasts in their training clothes just stretching/warming up. I also like the close up ones of them just thinking... But i dunno, thats just me :)

Hope that helped!

Lv illusion

P.S. Thanks sooooo much for all your wonderful pics Tom!!
By ScarlettLeeloo
On Wed Jul 19, 2006 02:26 PM
I like the gymnasts having fun in real life photos because they are pretty rare, and i think we would all like to see the "off the carpet" side of gymnasts. I like the naturalness of the training photos, because you can see pure movement without sometimes too distracting leos.
By birthdaycake
On Wed Jul 19, 2006 04:00 PM
Removed by calypso (11968) on 2006-08-30 20:48:44 double post
my favourites are training photos
By birthdaycake
On Wed Jul 19, 2006 04:21 PM
my favourites are training photos
By tomtom1220
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 06:20 AM
Okeeee, I understand. Better I make a poll next time (ooops,don't have a clue yet re dance.net):) Your ideas are very welcome! Thanks so much, Tom
By canarnivoremember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:19 AM
my favorite kind of photos are the studio photos and the photos of gymnast out of the carpet, in a normal life.
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:52 PM
Edited by GymLover (82579) on 2006-07-25 12:54:03
personally I love training pictures the most as we often have very little chance to see the gymnasts in training. They show the gymnast as they are during the hard work without all the finishing touches (read: hair, make up, leotard). It's a raw image of the talent and work of the girls day after day.

I also love close ups preferably during trainings or competition routines. Often the whole move is shot on a picture and so you get different photographers but the same pose over and over. Shooting from different angles brings some variation.

Love lot's of different kind of photos but I really like when the photographer is creative and doesn't take the usual shot that everyone takes.

Hoped that gave you an idea. I've always really liked your pictures Tom. As they are always so very clear and sharp.

Cheers,

Siegrid
By Proud_Mama
On Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:23 AM
Hi Tom!
In my opinion, I think the action photos & the flexibility photos are the best. My daughter (11) likes to get an idea of what she can aspire to do. She sees the videos, but what better way to capture that moment than in a photo. We both love the leaps and amazing positions RG's get themselves into. She has an entire board in her room covered with action & flexibility pictures and she always tries to put herself in whatever position the person in the photo is doing. :)
keep up the great work we (my daughter and I) love your photos!!!
By tomtom1220
On Wed Jul 26, 2006 08:26 AM
Hi, consensus seems to be trainings and out of carpet. Siegrid, agree with you totally...images of raw work, day-in-day-out, when the masterpiece of rhythmic is made. Without make-up they are ever so lovely...
Ok, yesterday was Nathalie training and today is more Marina (keep coming back to her:)) Traveling at moment, so dunno when next update...
Byeeee, Tom
By RSGVIDEOS
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:57 AM
Tom, you know how difficult ist getting a different image during RSg events. We use to be all stuck in the same positions and sometimes moving is impossible (see Thiais or Corbeil). There are few options: either shooting like you, with a bigger lens and more distance, either making James Glader's acrobacies to get a shot or simply letting your heart inspire you at the moment. Sometimes getting the desired frame consist of a mix of skill and luck...

I prefer photoshootings in free (not studio photos) or training photos, or, my favourites, party photos. Sometimes there are magic moments in the carpet too, for example when the gymnasts concentrate to perform or the coach givinb instructions...

And then our speciality: playing the fool to make the gymnasts smile and wave to us in the Kiss&Cry area. You know we are good in that!
By FabulousFeet
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 06:04 PM
I like training pictures the best :)
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 01:29 AM
I like training photos, but I also love leaps and shots of them in pretty positions with the apparatus.
By luvtwirlin
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 03:37 AM
I really like the action shots and studio shots, i think they make really great photos!!!
By smellykaT
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 04:56 PM
Hello Tom,

I have been enjoying your website for the past few years so I just wanted to extend my thanks.

As for your inquiry, I would have to say that it is a toss up between training photos and flexibility shots. Oh heck, I love them all.

Thanks again Tom...
By illusiongirl
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:49 PM
Hi Tom!

Many thanks for the three photos of Anya you recently took - they are absolutely beautful!

Lv illusion

ReplySendWatch