Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do??
By snackcakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:53 PM

hey,
This isn't a "I'm fat, I need to be thin post". Not at all, I love the size I am , I just want my stomach to be firm.
I checked out the other post about firming exercises but from the picture i don't think I'm aiming on that area of my stomach. My stomache is pudgy in the middle where my belly buton is and not my lower stomache. I've tried doing lots of different sit ups,so maybe I'm doing them wrong, but I was wandering if any one could throw some ecxercises/moves my way that they think would help that part of my stomache I'm focusing on.
Thankyou

35 Replies to The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do??

re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do?? (karma: 3)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:58 PM
Just two things to say...

1. Try standing up straight and not arching your lower back

2. Your "tummy" is adorable! You look very healthy and fit.
re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do?? (karma: 3)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jul 29, 2006 05:22 AM
You shouldn't be doing anything. That's your stomach. That has to be there - it's what's called "baby fat".
And not in the sense that you're a baby, or that you're fat, but one day you might like to have a baby of your own - and that fat is needed to cushion the baby in your womb and help nourish it.

For the same reason women have hips and boobs, we have slightly round tummies. You need that bit of fat, so you can have a baby if you want to. And if you DON'T want to have a baby, well, you've still got it. That's how women are.

Personally, I like it. I think it looks great. It's feminine.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do??
By snoopyjotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 30, 2006 04:46 AM
i think its normal for a woman to have a little fat on the lower stomach. almost all women have some fat there. i wouldnt worry about it!

fi xx
re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do?? (karma: 8)
By Kaela
On Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:31 AM
Ha! Okay, now i'm worried! If you want to change that little part of your "Belly" that is "wobbly" then i'm afraid you'll have to go all the way back in time to when Human Beings evolved (Appeared, we're created by God, whatever).

I'm afriad that litle bump on your mid section is called...Your Stomach. And it is full of all kinds of junk that doctors like to call..intestines, and organs! Also...and quite funnily enough, if you didn't have that little bump, you would be MALE. Men, don't typically have that little bump (I once heard a man refer to it as a "Feminine Bump")and it is there so that If or When you decide to do the natural woman thing and have a baby, you "tummy" will have that extra room for ze little baby!

Get rid of it, flatten it, try it. It won't go away and most men won't thank you if it does. The majority of the world's male population are still stuck way back in that 'evolutionary rut' and think that curves on a woman are sexy. That's why they like breasts so much! Hurrah! Thousands of years of human evolution to get rid of now....Hmmm, i'm sure i don't need this arm! Lets live without it! *grabs saw*

*laughs* You're perfect the way you are hun...and if anyone says different...print ALL of the above out and let them read it...Given they are smart enough to read it in the first place!

Kaela
By RaspberryTeamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 01, 2006 02:19 AM
I think Kaela's said it all :D haha... hows your arm doing Kaela! lmao
By AmanziDansa
On Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:36 PM
Try standing straighter without an arch in your back, I know it's hard becasue I also stand like that. You might find that including swimming in your exercising plan might help certain stomach muscles get stronger. But I personally don't think it looks bad at all!
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 03, 2006 08:43 PM
Your stomachs so cute. I have a buddha belly. Somedays i hate it. Ohters i like it. Go to the beach and look around, do you see much with a flat stomach? NO! NOt everyone has a flat stomach and thats okay. I think your stomach is fine to show off in a bathing suit.
To flatten your stomach
By lordshandor
On Wed Aug 09, 2006 02:15 PM
There are two things you can do

1 is lower your bodyfat (lots of cardio 45-60 min a day 4-6 days a week on a treadmill or elliptical machine and better eating)

2 is do an exercise called stomach vacuums

Basically you blow out all of your air and suck your stomach in as far as you can, try to touch your stomach to your spine and hold it as long as you can, work up to holding it for 60 seconds each time. Do about 20-30 sets 2-3 times day, in about a week you will notice your waist getting smaller.
re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do?? (karma: 1)
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 AM
Sorry, but I simply can't put this nicely.

You are incredibly skinny. You should NOT be whining about your nonexistent pooch. It irks me to no end when girls with apparently NO body fat (such as yourself) aren't happy with what they've got. I'd be overjoyed to have a stomach like yours.
re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do?? (karma: 5)
By lordshandor
On Sat Aug 12, 2006 03:58 PM
Why complain about what someone else wants. If she wants to look more athletic, why is this a bad thing? And why are you so interested in what someone else wants for themselves? She clearly said in her post that she wasn't complaining about being fat, that she just wanted a different look than she had. there is nothing wrong with her wanting to look better than she does now. What if she wanted a six pack? Would you consider that bad as well? I think you are a bit jealous and being judgemental.

Blessings to you.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 01:54 AM
I have that same little bump. I lovingly refer to it as my pudge. I'd suggest you do the same. It's cute. I love mine.
By lisskmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 02:11 AM
^I have a donut. :D
By KillerQueen1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:02 PM
Try standing up straighter without arching your back, because it looks like you kind of have a sway back and that might be what's making your stomach look like that.
By danzatrizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:39 PM
You could get your stomach firmer with more muscle there but I think considering you are already probably either at your ideal weight ot under (according to the charts) trying to cardio your way out into a "flatter stomach" would not only not work but be hazordous to your health.
That "pudge" is there for health reasons. As others have said women are meant to concieve in a future so when a woman looses sooo much fat in her body that it seems to reduce then probably she has stopped menstruating... not good. Even at that point women are so skinny that little pudge is more apparent.
I too think you have an awsome figure but if you are not happy i suggest you do some crunches or ab work.

I understand that you mean no harm but do try to remember when you post things like this that many girls here wish they could have a body at least resembeling that of which you are complaining and if you post saying "oh my tummy isn't flat"... imagine how that makes the rest feel... not to mention the MANY girls here that try so so hard to NOT think of body image/weightloss/fat... major trigger here.
You have every right to post but try and think of others when you post your concerns too, your stomach is not pudgy!
By tip_toe_dreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:59 PM
Odessa and Kaela hit it right on the nose. Thats supposed to be there. And i agree with the other posters, its cute. Women were buit to have curves and thats just one of them.
You should be happy with your body. It looks fit and healthy, just as it should be.
re: The middle of my stomache refuses to be flat, what can I do?? (karma: 2)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 AM
I lovingly refer to mine as my fluffy.

Image hotlink - 'http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/KayKayBeanie/new.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l27/KayKayBeanie/edit.jpg'

Accept it. Curves are good. I am baffled by these workout crazy people who want like, 2% body fat. Fat is good! We have it for a reason! Too much isn't good, but the majority of active people, yourself included, don't need to worry about it!
By kslach
On Wed Aug 30, 2006 05:20 PM
i don't think there is much you can do about that area. my friend is super stick skinny & has that same exact problem. it's just how some womens bodies are. unfortunately because we're women, we are never happy with the way we look. i think ur tummy is very sexy!!
By vrij
On Fri Sep 01, 2006 08:38 PM
By the_edge1
On Sun Sep 03, 2006 03:34 AM
i think your stomach looks completely normal and fine...most of us have that same little bump but its not a bad thing...
but...maybe try doing slower, more steady sit ups, focusing more on engaging all of the stomach muscles (thats multiple for a reason!) less can be more! also try to lean fwd a little to stop the arch in back. hope that helps!
you have lordosis
By AussieFling
On Sun Sep 10, 2006 06:24 AM
Yep your low back is arched you have Lordosis, (an anterior tilt of the pelvis) you need to work your low abs (any pilates exercise will do that) strengthen your hamstrings and this is very important stretch your hip flexors. Also when standing ensure your knees are not locked.
By BreakingFree
On Thu Sep 14, 2006 08:58 AM
I think you have a hyperextended back, like me. I have this little pudgy thing too, even though I do abdominal exercises everyday. My upper abs are toned, but his lower part isn't. And I found that when I try standing in a correct position without arching my back, I work this part of my abs. It's a little bit better, ever since I start changing my own alignment. But it's hard, because I'm so used to arching my back, but you have to keep working on it if you want it flatter.
By ballet_muse
On Fri Sep 22, 2006 05:31 PM
If you do those bicycle things (lie on your back and, keeping your back firmly on the ground, lift your head and legs and then do a riding the bike motion) it will really help...also drink lots of water, eat less salt and carbs which could all be factors to the puffiness...overall though it's shouldn't take long because it's not that big of a pouch :)
By agirlinatutumember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:32 AM
My biology teacher was talking about this today, women just have an extra 'layer' of fat for if you get pregnant... Your tum is exactly like mine. I used to try and try to get rid of it but ab workouts didn't worked, they just build muscle UNDER the little 'fluffy' (I love that term, SilenceBroken! :D). It's just supposed to be there, people who are like marathon runners sometimes lose that because their body fat gets so low, but it's there for a reason. Like if you don't have the baby fat, a lot of the time you will get irregular periods or not have it for a bit because if you did get pregnant you need the fat that's there.
By Missdanciamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:41 AM
You don`t have to do anything, you look beautiful just as you are!! And your stomach is just mucles and that`s why you feel like it is not flat, there are just mucles!!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch Draw