Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Audition tips!!
By devilzsoupmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 31, 2006 03:00 PM

Ok I figured as this is the professional/advanced board it would be good to share some audition tips on here! I'm about to start my final year this september and that means <i>auditions</i> (eeeek!!) so I know <i>I</i> could use any advice anyone has and I'm sure I'm not alone!

Not having been to many I can't really offer much advice but just to get the ball rolling...

My teachers have told us:

<b>1) Make sure you're always well presented!

2) Listen to what the choreographer wants and if you mess up just keep going and make it up if you have to!</b>

Ok they're pretty common sense really but it's a start!

4 Replies to Audition tips!!

re: Audition tips!!
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 06, 2006 04:49 PM
there's a really good post with tips for auditions and how to impress teachers and judges or whatnot....

dance.net . . .

yep

-kerplooey
By DanceAngel120Premium member
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:11 AM
3. Smile, look pleasant, and look like you're enjoying what you're doing, don't look like you're bored or would rather be doing something else!

4. Don't stress too much. It'll make you very nervous and may prohibit you from doing your absolute best.

5. Don't let the competition get to you. Don't worry about what the other girls are doing, only worry about yourself.
By VeniciaDansaPremium member
On Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:13 AM
3. Smile, look pleasant, and look like you're enjoying what you're doing, don't look like you're bored or would rather be doing something else!

look like you're enjoying yourself?

WHY do you dance? Why are you auditioning? Why do you want to pursue a professional career?

You can't just look like you enjoy it-- you have to LOVE dong it. You should always "look like you enjoy it" that is the entire point of dancing!

Go in and DANCE! Go in and play with the music. Hold your head up, smile and laugh. Don't perform how you THINK they might like you to.... perform and dance how YOU like to.

The only way to impress anyone is to move from your heart- not your technique, not your build, not your ability to be a robot.

DANCE, be happy... express yourself!
By amarathPremium member
On Sat Sep 30, 2006 05:31 PM
Here's just my bit--act professional from the moment you get in the door. Miami City used to actually watch the dancers auditioning both for summer and the company before class started (an old dancer told me); I've heard similar stories from other places, too.

ReplySendWatch