Popular Irish

Sponsorships for Irish Dancers? by byudawn
I was curious if any irish dancer has like a "Sponsor", like they do in ice skating, etc? Not a...

Forum: Twirling / Twirling

Twirling
Fire Baton en>fr fr>en
By lightblueangel Comments: 102, member since Sat Dec 18, 2004
On Wed Aug 02, 2006 03:41 PM

I thought there might be a post about this somewhere, but I looked and didn't see one, so I'll just post my own.

I've been twirling for a little over a year and a half, and for football season this year everyone wants me to twirl a fire baton during the field show, since it's my senior and therefore last year to twirl. I've never done it before, but our previous feature twirler told me it's no big deal. She also twirled fire in a field show a couple years ago, so I don't think the school will have a problem with it. My questions are, how is fire different than a regular baton? Is it dangerous, and how dangerous is it? What kind of precautions should you take? What are good, easy tricks to do with one? Does it catch the grass on fire if I were to drop it? (lol) What is the best brand of baton? Am I even experienced enough to be considering it? And anything else I should know. lol. Any help is much appreciated, as usual. :) Thanks!

8 Replies to Fire Baton

re: Fire Baton (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Twirler7474 Comments: 179, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Wed Aug 02, 2006 04:43 PM
I think you are totally qualified and can handle twirling fire baton! This will be my third year twirling for my highschool and I have noticed that everyone loves watching fire baton! The way I prepare my fire baton is this: I pour gasoline into a tin coffee container. (I think I use coleman gasoline) Then I soak one end of the baton in the coffee container for about 4-6 minutes. I good way to check to see if it has absorbed enough is to hit the tip of the baton and make sure no bubbles float off. Then I take it out and shake off the excess gasoline by just giving it a few good flicks. Then I wrap the tip up in tin foil so the gasoline doesn't evaporate. I then do the same process for the other tip. I would do this about 20 minutes before I am about to go on. When it gets to about 5 minutes before I go on I usually just dip the tips in gasoline for about 30 seconds just to make sure it has enough gasoline. That way it won't go out while I'm twirling. Be careful because sometimes to much gasoline can be very hot. I would practice your routine with this whole process several times before you actually perform to make sure it works. This way you can see if you need to make any adjustments. After practicing a few times you will get the hang of it in no time. Some tricks that are easy but appealing with fire baton are: figure eights, small thumb flips, big flourishs. I have noticed, however, if you twirl really fast it is not as easy to see the fire baton. So, normally I tend to twirl a little bit slower. Also, about every 30 seconds I usually pause for a quick second with the baton over my head to let the fire gain strength again. To put out I fire baton I set up a big wet towel on the sidelines. When I finish I run off and place the fire baton on the towel and fold the wet towel over the baton and the fire should go out. You asked if the fire baton would catch on fire if you dropped it on the grass--and I've dropped it before in my backyard once when I was practicing and nothing happened...just a few sparks. I would also not use any hairspray when you twirl fire baton because hairspray is very flameable..lol. Well, I hope this super long response helped...lol. Just practice and you'll be fine! Good luck and have fun!
re: Fire Baton en>fr fr>en
On Wed Aug 02, 2006 04:53 PM
Wow that was so helpful! thanks sooo much! :)
On Fri Aug 04, 2006 05:28 AM
Anything else I should know?
Re: Firebaton en>fr fr>en
By TwirlerChic Comments: 21, member since Wed Mar 22, 2006
On Sat Aug 05, 2006 08:54 AM
I would just say not to worry about. I've only twirled fire a little but I don't freak out when I do. I've known some girls who really freak out when they are twirling(if they get that far) but just relax and have fun!
By PyroTwirler Comments: 30, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:07 AM
Alright, a few more things to add for you. I come from a long line of firefighters and fire cheifs so most of my ramblings are on safety. I've been twirling fire batons for almost 5 years now (note the name? lol) I twirl three fire at once... something i don't recommend till you get more time under your belt. ;)

Sooo, after soaking the batons (there are many solutions you could use. I use teeky torch fluid- it smokes less than gas and smells a lot better) make sure to shake them out away from you so extra solution doesn't fly everywhere while you're twirling. Hot flaming solution is never fun... Done it a couple times when I didn't shake them enough. It happens.

And when you're done with your fire batons and they've cooled, wipe the shaft with an old towel. This will clean off the black and any extra solution that may have been on it.

Keep your hair up, no hairspray, and no tights if you can help it. They're highly flamable and I've seen more than one twirler catch themselves on fire this way. Also try not to wear fringed skirts or any other type of skirt. If the wind blows (or even if it doesn't) the fire will catch and it's better safe than sorry.

Also you can dab some water on you before a show, and have a spray bottle of water to spritz your hair. That way if a wind should kick up or something it wouldn't be too much of an issue. BUT never twirl if the wind is too strong... better to go without it for a show than burn yourself or others.

Only one little problem I had with Twirler7474's reply... You should NEVER put your fire batons out in anything but a fire baton case. Perfurably the one's that open up, not the shoot. I've seen a number of things people use that should NEVER be the case. The thing with the fire baton shoots and other things (like a trash can!) is the batons become dangerous projectiles. They get inside, smoke a bit, and then shoot out like a missle from the gas pressure. That's why the fire baton case is the only way to go. It's metal and smolders out the flame properly so it won't relight on its own. A regular case holds roughly 6 fire batons, and you can also get bigger cases that you can store numerous batons if there was a whole line doing it. Invest in a case... they're not much (alot of places they come with the batons) and it will keep you safe! That's the most importent thing.

Stay safe this season and good luck with the fire. If you need any more help drop me a line and I'll be happy to answer.

~Pyro~
By Twirlguy Comments: 460, member since Fri Sep 06, 2002
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 08:16 AM
One moe saftey tip! I soak my frie batons at home and wrap them in foil, that way you don't have to take any fuel with you, just shake them off real good right before you light them.
By OldGuyNewTwirler Comments: 412, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 02:19 PM
I'm confused by Pyro's answer- what is a "shoot" in this context? Or did you mean "chute"? Either way, what are you talking about? My fire baton case is a long metal tube with a cap, that I bought with the baton. Are there ones that open up lengthwise like a violin case? Sorry for being dense!

A related note- I had tape on my fire baton and did not wipe it all down after twirling. The next time I got the baton out the sticky stuff on the tape had smeared all over because of the fuel vapors or something. The tape had to be removed and the whole thing had to be cleaned off. It was a mess.

-OGNT
By PyroTwirler Comments: 30, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 04:15 PM
OGNT-

I believe the one you have is the safe version of what I was talking about. There are ones that are some type of "plastic"... I don't really wanna say PVC piping, but something to that effect. *Shakes head* You should see these crazy girls use these things. I swear the batons shoot right back at them like a missile... and then they wonder why they get burned...

But yes, if you are refuring to the ones I believe you are then those are fine. They don't have that same effect. And yes, the baton tape does kind of melt. I never used it on mine, but I've seen them. Not very fun at all...

Oh, thanks Twirlguy... I completely forgot the thing with the tinfoil (quite stupid of me). I do the same thing. I don't shake them after soaking. I wrap them in tin foil and then just take them to the games like that. Before half time I go down early and unwrap them and shake them. I noticed that if you shook them BEFORE putting them in tinfoil that the flames aren't as bright and don't last as long. (Done a lot of experimenting ;) ) Using the tin foil will also mean that you don't have to drag that fuel with you, so less you have to carry, AND you won't spill anything!

~Pyro~

ReplySendWatch