Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Some articles!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 07:54 PM
The times recently had an article on cups!!
Check it out!
women.timesonline.co.uk . . .

Ohsochewy (a livejournal member) posted these cute threadsÂ…. Enjoy!
community.livejournal.com . . .

community.livejournal.com . . .
re: Alternative Menstrual Products…be kind to yourself and to the Environment!
By pointe_at_MDT Comments: 74, member since Fri Aug 11, 2006
On Thu Aug 17, 2006 06:18 PM
can you swim with any of these "products" in?
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Aug 17, 2006 06:23 PM
Yes!

You sure can!!

:)

The cup is just like a tampon.
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Fri Sep 08, 2006 02:15 AM
It amazes me that so many people believe one-use products are still a better option than something reusable.

I love my sea sponges. I really and truly do. But that said, as it's nearing the time to buy new ones, I'm contemplating a keeper. It lasts longer. LOL!
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6584, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Sat Sep 09, 2006 03:50 PM
Maggie, you rock! I'm thinking of getting washable pads. But I've also been using sea sponges (thanks Lirit!), the Instead cup (re-using it during my period is no problem - just wash and rinse it before re-inserting, and I wouldn't use it for more than one period), and bought a Divacup recently (haven't used it yet, but will try it out on my next period).

And I have a funny story that happened last month:

My friend had an end-of-summer party at his cottage last month, and while the girls stayed in the cottage at night and the guys slept in a tent outside, two of the guys decided to sleep on the deck beside the living room window. Anyway, the girls and I were in the living room and just to tease the guys by the window, one of them started talking about her period. Soon, we forgot about the guys and started getting really into the conversation.

One girl started talking about the evil tampon industry and how she only ever wears them when swimming, and others talked about feminine products too. Then, I attempted to educate them on alternative products, including the instead, washable pads, and sea sponges. One of the girls was disgusted and commented loudly on how "washing your cup" in a public bathroom. But I continued talking about these products. Then, as I started talking about sea sponges, we heard one of the guys outside say "Please... stop!" We had gotten so into the conversation that we had totally forgotten that there were two guys outside who could hear every word we said! We laughed our heads off for 5 minutes straight. If the guy hadn't begged us to stop, I would have started going into detail on how most of these products have to be inserted, um, manually, since they don't have an applicator - the guys would probably have fainted.

The next morning, the guys who were in the tent said they heard us laughing (they didn't hear the convo) and we explained what happened. Then, the guys on the deck said that when they could hear us, one had said "can you hear them?" and the other one said "I'm trying not to..." and then the first one yelled at us to stop!
On Mon Sep 18, 2006 08:32 AM
LOL

I would have told them "If you don't want to hear it GO away! Serves you right for evesdropping!"

Heh men!

I need to post pictures of my stash on here.....haven't had the time to yet.
By glitternstars Comments: 339, member since Wed Apr 03, 2002
On Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:48 PM
Okay so I just got the diva cup and it took forever for me to try to put it in! Once I got it in it was grand but I think it rode up a little too much and it was really hard to get out...like I had to bear down so much it felt like I was ready to poop also (sorry for being graphic) but has anyone else had this problem? Oh and I only got it in once after that I couldn't even get it in which is really discouraging because I think this product would be great otherwise since I have heavy periods!
Thanks!
Sammy
On Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:14 PM
Hem....do you still have the tab on your cup??

Maybe try to as you bear down reach for the tab?

Once you get the cup down a wee ways you can grab the bottom of the cup to break the seal.....which in turn makes it easier to pull it out.

Also....I added another link to the original post that shows some of the other ways to insert a cup.
By pelerrojamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1125, member since Fri Mar 18, 2005
On Fri Oct 13, 2006 01:47 PM
I'm having the opposite problem in that my cup is sitting too low...I practically had to cut the entire stem off and when I went to poop, I was very aware that the cup was there!

I took it out and reinserted it and it feels much better now but I can still feel it...am I not putting it up far enough, maybe?

(great post!)
On Fri Oct 13, 2006 05:23 PM
Thanks!

Hmmm...maybe. See if you can insert it a bit higher next time and see if that helps.
By yoga_lover Comments: 100, member since Sun Oct 29, 2006
On Thu Nov 09, 2006 07:01 PM
oh my gosh I never new that people sold these type of things. I'm all for it . anything to help the inviroment and my pocket book is great. this was such an awesome post I would give u carma but I haven't done 50 posts yet so I'll come back.!
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 02:29 AM
Question time!

Loving my Mooncup, etc etc, but I need to know ways to clean it between periods. I'm living in somewhat limited accommodation right now, and don't have a stove on which I can boil it between periods (which is what I did when I lived at home).

I can boil wtaer in a kettle and use that, would it work the same? What other options are there?
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 03:44 PM
^

Double check on this before you try it....but Vinager and tee tree oil seem to work on my Keeper.

If you can boil it than do so....but if you can't see if you can try this.
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 04:31 PM
Where can you buy these cups? Can you get them at like a drug store or do you need to order it online?
Justine
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 05:27 PM
^

If you are in the UK you can buy the mooncup at Boot's. (I believe)

If not you have to go online and hunt around for one. You "might" be able to find someone that sells one in your local area as well.

www.divacup.com
www.keeper.com
www.mooncup.co.uk
www.lunette.fi
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 05:31 PM
^I was looking on the diva cup website and you can find a location near you that sells it. I found one and when I get some spare change, I think I'm going to get one! Thanks!
Justine
By twinkle_toes__ Comments: 966, member since Sat Nov 04, 2006
On Wed Nov 29, 2006 09:28 PM
I'm a germ freak, and personally, I'm not comfortable with the whole idea of rinsing your blood off and reusing it. No offense but I'll stick to tampons. There are bigger environmental problems than flushing a tampon a couple times a month.
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5699, member since Sat Feb 12, 2005
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 06:47 PM
I am utterly fascinated. Fabulous post! Karma to you. :)

Here are my questions about the cups - particularly the Diva...

I would be concerned about it spilling on it's way out (I would consider my flow to be heavy - it gushes for three days and I'm done), thus dipping out like usual. How do you stop dripping while you're cleaning it out? I mean, after I get out of the shower I have a little drip going on - not having anything there for a few minutes while I empty and clean the cup really freaks me out.

Since the day I started years and years ago I have worn only one pad a day unless (and this is rare) it's full or has a funky monkey smell. I have never tried tampons because I never have a break consistent enough to change it out. How dangerous/messy would it be to pop in before heading out for the day and taking it out when I get home at night (it would be in for say 16 hours)? Do you HAVE to take it out throughout the day? Does it run the risk of TSS like tampons?

Can you have sex with a cup in? I mean, I'm married and obviously active - is this going to be noticeable for him? Also, can it double as a form of birth control?

I'm so interested in the cup!
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 07:41 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-12-01 19:44:41 typos
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-12-18 11:18:47 whoops...should have said in her lifetime.....got my stats from the NWHN.
There are bigger environmental problems than flushing a tampon a couple times a month.

Actually.....flushing a tampon IS HORRIBLE for your sewer pipes....it's the leading cause of toilet backup's....ask any plumber.

Not to mention a woman uses an average of 15,000 sanitary pads or tampons in her lifetime. For every woman that adds up. *nods* The National WomenÂ’s Health Network states that twelve billion pads and 7 million tampons pollute landfills annually in the US. Plastic tampon applicators from sewage outfalls are one of the most common forms of trash on beaches. You can believe that it doesn't cause harm...but these numbers per woman is just too much for me and others that have switched. That amount eventually makes it into a landfill or worse Ocean. And yes that does affect the planet! :(

Did you also know that the FDA does not require that the ingredients in tampons and pads be listed anywhere in or on the package? (Although some companies like Tampax have started to list their ingredients they are not required to do so.) To me...putting something without REALLY knowing what exactly is in it into my body IS WORSE than having to rinse out my keeper or pad.

Ok Miss ClogÂ…IÂ’ll do my best to try to answer your questionsÂ… :D

Here are my questions about the cups - particularly the Diva...

I would be concerned about it spilling on its way out (I would consider my flow to be heavy - it gushes for three days and I'm done), thus dipping out like usual. How do you stop dripping while you're cleaning it out? I mean, after I get out of the shower I have a little drip going on - not having anything there for a few minutes while I empty and clean the cup really freaks me out.

I change mine in the showerÂ….the toiletÂ…etc. I donÂ’t have a problem with dripping per ce so I donÂ’t know if I can be much help thereÂ…..but I think in your case best place for you to change it would be the showerÂ….you can rinse, re-insert and pretty much be good to go.

Since the day I started years and years ago I have worn only one pad a day unless (and this is rare) it's full or has a funky monkey smell. I have never tried tampons because I never have a break consistent enough to change it out. How dangerous/messy would it be to pop in before heading out for the day and taking it out when I get home at night (it would be in for say 16 hours)? Do you HAVE to take it out throughout the day? Does it run the risk of TSS like tampons?

The current status according to the FDA on the use of the cup is that it hasnÂ’t been associated with TSS. I believe there was one case, however there was not sufficient evidence to pin point the root cause back to the use of a cup.

I have left mine in for 16 hours before on a low flowÂ….but if youÂ’re flowing heavily you may need to empty it after 8 hours or so.

Can you have sex with a cup in? I mean, I'm married and obviously active - is this going to be noticeable for him? Also, can it double as a form of birth control?

That depends... most woman can have sex with the instead cup (I can not because I am rather small and hubby could feel it)Â….however it will not prevent pregnancy.
By ballehdanza Comments: 63, member since Sun Sep 10, 2006
On Sat Dec 16, 2006 01:12 PM
wow very cool idea! i would definitely try it but i tend to keep a tampon or too in my blazer.. i dont think i would be able to carry a cup like that.. people would notice! thanks for letting us know though hyndlas! Maybe once i have left school!
By MathLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1547, member since Thu Sep 22, 2005
On Sat Dec 16, 2006 03:17 PM
Not to mention a woman uses an average of 15,000 sanitary pads or tampons A YEAR.

I know this is an old thread, but that's a lot of tampons/pads. At first I was thinking maybe you meant 15,000 in a lifetime, but even then, the numbers don't add up. With the amount of tampons I use I'd have to have my period for 62 years in order to use that many. I really don't want to have my period until I'm 75.

-Megan-
On Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:50 AM
Your right those were for a lifetimes worth.

I got those stats off of the NWHN website.....and the number can vary from woman to woman.....I googled average tampon use of woman in her lifetime and I got results all the way from 11,400 tampons to 16,800 range from sites such as center4research.org . . . health.enotes.com . . .

This number apparently is based on each woman having 5 days of menstrual bleeding/month x 5 tampons used per day (give or take)25x12= 300 (so that's 300 a year give or take) x 38 years (again give or take because of when menopause will start or when the woman started) I believe they also included unknown factors like miscarriages or pregnancies.
By redbrickdreammember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 386, member since Thu May 19, 2005
On Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:07 AM
I've just bought a Mooncup (I've been trying to get one for a few days but they only had the bigger size for 30-years-and-over/people who've had babies in the stores I tried) so I'm going to investigate it in a while when my flatmate has gone out - think he'd get worried if I was in the bathroom for a while!
On Mon Jan 29, 2007 01:16 PM
Glad to see you are willing to try!

However....the bigger size may leak on you so if it does you really need to try the smaller size.

I think if I remember correctly the moon cup has a warrenty.....look into that and see if you can return for a smaller size if that one doesn't work out for you! Good luck!
By redbrickdreammember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 386, member since Thu May 19, 2005
On Tue Jan 30, 2007 04:31 PM
*bangs head on desk*

I really never explain these things properly :P - I bought the smaller one because I finally found a store that had it, not the bigger one. To be fair, I haven't actually been very successful even with the small one yet. I think I'll write to them and ask them to make an even smaller one...
Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch