Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Alternative Menstrual Products…be kind to yourself and to the Environment!
By Reelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2682, member since Thu Dec 28, 2006
On Sun Aug 12, 2007 08:28 PM
these look cool, and i would more boldly try it if i weren't at home haha. anyways...lemme get this straight.

you put it in by folding it (various ways to do it) and insert it. then it forms like a suction thing that shouldn't leak if it's put in properly.
so then you take it out like what, twice a day? and empty it. i would think it's hard to take it out without spilling, but really is it? that would be gross if it spilt haha. anyways, so do you have to rinse it off between insertions? i would find that embarrassing if i had to do that in public.
anyways. so then do you have to boil it between periods? that would be weird with my family around but i suppose if i was home alone...haha.
yeah i'm pretty closed about that stuff with my family, occassionally i'll talk about it with my mom but that's it. anywaysss.
so is that it really? i too would worry a little about leakage even if it's just really in my head, so i'd wear a pantyliner but i have to all the time anyways as i have discharge that is finicky.

this would be really nice though as i hate changing tampons not to mention discreetly, and i hate the 8-hour thing because i sleep longer than that. i also would never go back to pads. and not having to worry about leaking or changing in the middle of dance would be nice, and no more tampons being soaked when i go swimming (they've never leaked, but i have to change them 3 times as much because water soaks them!). so yeah...i'll post again if i think of anything else lol.

~D~
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Wed Sep 12, 2007 01:14 PM
I just bought a mooncup (UK) and I am on my third day of my period, second day of using mooncup.

Decided here was a good place to post my first-time experiences -

I got it in just fine (after looking at it, and thinking, "that's HUGE compared to a tampon!") although the stem was pretty long.

I trimmed the stem a little (as in, half a centimetre) and re-inserted. I didn't keep inserting it and pulling it out, I only trimmed it each time I needed to empty it (apart from the first time I trimmed it) I think I trimmed it about 3 times, the same amount each time.

The final time I trimmed it, I got it to the right length so it was comfortable (i.e. not sticking half in / half out of my vagina) and it decided it wanted to sit higher in my vagina.

That was fine, just as comfortable, however while I was able to get it out ok before, it was too high to get it out that way sitting higher.

Got a PM from Angelina, (who got the information from Nadine) and was told to slide one finger up, grab the bottom between thumb and forefinger, and pull it out that way. Unfortunately, I can't really get a thumb up there at the same time as a finger. Did some reading on that livejournal community. Got a tip from 'flyingdogs' [lj username], who suggested index finger and middle finger, up, make a peace sign, and pull it out. Works amazingly, and I don't have to worry about my grip on the stem sliding off.

I love my mooncup. So much less icky! A brilliant decision!!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Sep 12, 2007 01:46 PM
Unfortunately I'm a broke college student, but you can bet where a chunk of my christmas money is going. I've been freaked out about tampons since I read about the fiberglass thing, but I will not wear pads. I didn't know much about the keeper/mooncup/etc, and assumed it couldn't handle my heavy flow. Now, thanks to DDN, not only do I know that these products can handle my heavy flow easily, but that tampons may have been contributing to my heavy flow!

To all of you, what would you say was your favorite? The best value? I'm so excited, I'm thinking of calling my mom to ask her to send some money!
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Wed Sep 12, 2007 02:42 PM
I hadn't even heard of such things as reusables until I saw this thread. Now I've got a Diva and I'm really happy with it.

It's official, hylndlas. You've won another one over. ;)
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Thu Sep 13, 2007 09:36 AM
RE: TheReelCIA. I'll try to answer your questions (which weren't really questions, but whatever)...

so then you take it out like what, twice a day? and empty it.

Yeah, pretty much. When my period is heavier, I empty it more often, but I can sometimes go a whole day without changing it.

i would think it's hard to take it out without spilling, but really is it? that would be gross if it spilt haha.

It's not that hard... your period isn't liquidy like water, it's kind of thicker than that, so it doesn't spill as easily as you might be expecting.

anyways, so do you have to rinse it off between insertions? i would find that embarrassing if i had to do that in public.

I don't ever have to do it in public. I normally empty and rinse once in the morning before I go out, then once when I'm in the shower at the end of the day, and I'm all set. I'm trying to think of a time I had to empty it in a public washroom, and I can't.

so then do you have to boil it between periods? that would be weird with my family around but i suppose if i was home alone...haha.

Yes, boil it between periods. I wait till I'm home alone to do it, because... well, it'd be weird to do it in the kitchen when other people are around. "Oh, what are you cooking?" "My Mooncup, I collect my period in it". No, I don't think that would go down well. There's no reason anyone else has to be around when you do it.

Just go for it, and try it. You'll save a FORTUNE in tampon costs, and it's just cleaner and nicer-feeling. Yeah, it takes a while to get used to, but once you're used to it, it'll be the best thing you've ever done!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Sep 13, 2007 09:42 AM
Angelina wrote:

so then do you have to boil it between periods? that would be weird with my family around but i suppose if i was home alone...haha.

Yes, boil it between periods. I wait till I'm home alone to do it, because... well, it'd be weird to do it in the kitchen when other people are around. "Oh, what are you cooking?" "My Mooncup, I collect my period in it". No, I don't think that would go down well. There's no reason anyone else has to be around when you do it.

Just go for it, and try it. You'll save a FORTUNE in tampon costs, and it's just cleaner and nicer-feeling. Yeah, it takes a while to get used to, but once you're used to it, it'll be the best thing you've ever done!

Just a quick note....YOU CAN NOT BOIL A KEEPER.....YOU WILL MELT THE RUBBER!

Instead use vinegar or warm soapy water. (Actually You can use hot water on it.....just not boiling.)
By Reelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2682, member since Thu Dec 28, 2006
On Wed Sep 26, 2007 04:18 AM
^^Thanks. I'm looking into getting the UK Mooncup. I told my mom about it and she's never heard of it. She's not totally sold but I hope she'll at least let me try it! I just think it's such a weird idea to her that she's not sure if it's really as good as people say. But she's also not as comfortable with her bodily functions I don't think, because she doesn't like to see her blood or touch tampons much or stick her hand around that area. Which is understandable, but it's really not that big of a deal. She thinks it's all gross. It kinda is, but it's natural, and I would totally do that sort of stuff if I could pass on tampons and save money. And oh, she didn't even know that tampons weren't all that good for you, as far as what they're made of. I'm like I really don't like nasty, not necessarily even sanitary stuff which could give me TSS up in my body. But it's what she's used to. Anyways, if I end up getting one I'll post my experience on here! :)

~D~
By shootforthestars Comments: 51, member since Sun Dec 02, 2007
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 09:18 PM
Interesting information. I never know that stuff like this was around.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Jan 17, 2008 05:23 AM
I thought I'd replied to this thread, but obviously not!

I love my Diva Cup. I truly do.

I had a bit of hit and miss with it for a while, but I've got a system that works for me now.

Firstly I had trouble with insertion. The wonderful Maggie sent me to the page of different folds and I found after some experimentation that the punch-down method was the easiest and best for me.

Then I had trouble with it not always sealing properly. I learnt that I had to get it to sit higher for it to seal, however, sometimes it was really difficult to get it inserted high enough.

I finally realised that because I was washing it out and then inserting it, it was the little beads of water on the outside that were causing friction! So now, I just give it a little pat dry with my towel in the bathroom and we're good to go. No more stressing over difficult insertions! And best of all, no more leaks!

I take it out, clean it and re-insert it in the shower in the morning, and at night, I take it out and empty it into the toilet while I'm sitting there, so there's no chance of it making a mess on the floor. I give it a little wipe with toilet paper and give myself a little wipe too, just to prevent any drips, then go to the sink to rinse it and then re-insert. Easy peasy.

For those people wondering about carrying it in your purse, you don't. If your period is due, you can insert the cup before the period actually starts, so you never have to carry it anywhere. I find if I do that, then I don't even know exactly when my period has started within that 12-hour window because I DON'T CRAMP!

Helen
By Preludium Comments: 877, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Sun Feb 17, 2008 03:56 AM
I just ordered a Diva Cup like 15 minutes ago. I don't know how I got the idea to do it right now (probably I saw the word somewhere and decided to take action as a way of procrastination as I should be studying...) as one of my friends has recommended it already two or three years ago.

At that time I was a bit sceptic about it but now I've had spotting for two days and the pads look somehow grosser than usual even if I don't swet doing sports or anything, and I've been feeling down because I just had NuvaRing for the first time and spotting started two days before I was supposed to take the ring out. I'm afraid that it might give me too little hormones (I've had to switch pill brands because a lower hormone pill didn't keep my periods in check) but I hope it's just the first couple of months that give me problems. I loved NuvaRing because I didn't have to do anything for weeks and had birth control covered, so now I'm ready to try the Diva Cup in hopes to make it easier during the bleeding, too.
By SeramogPremium member Comments: 405, member since Thu Apr 07, 2005
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 05:30 PM
hi

i have seen adverts for the mooncup uk and wasn't convinced about it

but after reading the comments here i might go and buy one, i have to buy a certain type of tampon as i get thrush and it drives me mad but this seams like an alternative that will help with this

i can't bear to use pads and washable ones just make me cringe with the thought

i will let you all know how i get along cheers for the info everyone

joann
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Thu Apr 10, 2008 08:08 PM
Can you purchase any kind of menstrual cups/rags at U.S. drugstores, like Rite-Aid or Walgreens, or do they have to be ordered online?
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Apr 10, 2008 09:45 PM
^ Are you near a whole foods?

You can get glad rags and the diva cup there.

On the diva's website they have a store locater.

You could try that as well.
By SeramogPremium member Comments: 405, member since Thu Apr 07, 2005
On Wed Apr 16, 2008 02:38 PM
hi

its the best £20 i have spent in a long time

the moon cup is easy to use and even though i went to the loo about 30 times in work today to check for leeks not one brill

i will start telling my friends about them

jo
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Tue Apr 29, 2008 02:17 AM
I just want to share some more love on this thread.

I love that it's still going, and I love that you've influenced so many ladies to try something different.

You're a star Maggie!!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By natalie_oh Comments: 5, member since Wed May 14, 2008
On Sat May 17, 2008 09:14 PM
it's so cool to know that so many of you are using "alternative" menstrual products! i just started using a sea sponge this month, and i'm in love with it! it is so comfortable and easy to use. i've also been using glad rags for a while (my lovely friend introduced me) but the are kindy bulky, so i use those at night, and the sponge during the day.
By butterflydancer1 Comments: 189, member since Fri Nov 18, 2005
On Sun Jul 13, 2008 02:45 PM
This has only been said about 90 times, but thank you for the great post.
It is because of you that I discovered my DivaCup, and i love it love it love it!
Thnak you!
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 07:54 PM
Thank you for the post, but I have a few questions please...

1) I have very heavy periods. Sometimes I can wear two tampons and four pads and still go through. It is very painful, but I do what I need to do. And when I say pads, I don't mean maxipads. I use the Poise Pads that are much larger and more absorbent odor wise. And, at my retail job, I might add, we are not able to use the bathroom frequently, and I do do the method above to also help me avoid having to use the bathroom frequently. Will wearing one of these cups tip over if I am to bend over to do something at my retail job?

2) Couldn't you just rinse them out in the toilet after you have flushed the first time. I mean run the toilet again and rinse it out with the fresh water that comes out instead of the sink?

3) I have also found that using OB tampons is actually much more better and much more economical for me because they absorb much better. If you have a super heavy flow, what happens if the cup accidentally spills all down your legs? I mean obviously, you would wear additional backup to prevent that, right?

Sorry for the questions, but I like to learn.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and thank you again for posting on this wonderful topic.
By dancingducky_ Comments: 2113, member since Mon Dec 09, 2002
On Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:46 AM
I got a diva cup a few months ago and I love it. My sister and I used to make fun of the testimonies on the website. The ladies gush about how the diva cup brought joy and meaning to their lives. Seriously though, it's amazing. I'm so glad I got one.

In answer to your questions, begstretcher, the cup forms a suction, so it will not leak if you bend over or move in any way. It stays put inside you. I have a decently heavy flow, and on my heaviest days I can leave it in for several hours. I usually wait about 6 on the heavy days. After day 2 I can leave it in 12+ hours with no problems. It lasts much longer than tampons ever did.

I guess you could rinse it out in the toilet after you flushed it, but I find it easier just to rinse it in the sink. It uses less water than reflushing the toilet and it's easier for me to rinse the cup under the water. When I'm in a public place, I just wipe it with toilet paper and stick it back in. I wash it with soap the next time I take it out.

Before I got the diva cup I used ob tampons. I find that the cup works much better than they did. I have less cramps and less leaks. (In the past 4 months I've had 2 leaks, both because I didn't put the diva cup in correctly.) Like I said before, when inserted correctly, a seal forms around the cup. Nothing can get out to spill. Which is convenient when you're dancing or swimming, or teaching kindergarten.

Before I got the diva cup, I thought it would be gross cleaning it out. In reality, it's so much cleaner than tampons or pads. It's easy to clean and take care of. The diva cup comes with a little bag that you can store it in, so if you need to take it somewhere you can. (It also comes with a little diva pin, so you can decorate something. I thought that was pretty funny.)
By sempredolce Comments: 44, member since Sat Nov 10, 2007
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 06:54 AM
Just popping in to say thank you everyone for this thread!!! I just got a DivaCup yesterday and it's great. It was a bit of a battle figuring out the best way to insert it (I had to try 3 different folds before I found one that worked), but after that things have run smoothly so far!

Hooray for never having to buy tampons/pads again! :D
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Thu Aug 14, 2008 04:19 PM
I'm a germ freak, and personally, I'm not comfortable with the whole idea of rinsing your blood off and reusing it.

Soooooo....you're worried about taking something out of your vagina, rinsing it clean of blood, and then you're afraid it won't be sanitary to put it back in that same vagina that is still filled with that same blood??? That's like saying you're squeamish about putting your spoon back in your mouth after you've just taken it out to pick up more food...or is it actually having to touch your vagina that you're worried about?

Mine are so heavy that I end up having to change a super plus tampon every 15 minutes on my heaviest days.
Erm...that's definitely not normal. I'd advise you to talk to your doctor and see what you can do about that.

Couldn't you just rinse them out in the toilet after you have flushed the first time. I mean run the toilet again and rinse it out with the fresh water that comes out instead of the sink?
If you want BV, I suppose. Toilet water ISN'T clean--I'm certain there'll still be remnants of e-coli and such in there, which is NOT what you want to be inserting into your vagina!

Besides, in a public bathroom??? Then it's not even your OWN e-coli!!

I've been wanting to try these things for years, but two things bug me: 1. They're thicker than an ultra-thin pad, which is usually what I use. Not sure how I'd feel if it felt like I was wearing a diaper, or how "secure" I'd feel about it not showing through my pants; I know I went away from "regular size" maxis for a reason! 2. I can't see my partner not freaking out about me washing my pads with his clothes (we live in an apartment, so each load costs us, so I'm unlikely to do a whole load just for my pads)...and I feel they'd probably get cleaner in the machine than if I washed them by hand. Will have to think about this more. Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him. Maybe I could do a quick hand-wash before I throw them in the machine so he feels like they're mostly clean already.

"Oh, what are you cooking?" "My Mooncup, I collect my period in it".
LOL, do you have a separate pan than you use for cooking?
By rocketcitydancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1315, member since Tue Aug 13, 2002
On Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:08 PM
Ok, so this post made me a believer in the Mooncup, and so I bought one. No problems inserting it, wonderful, love it, etc. - then it was time to take it out. It felt like someone stuck a fist up there and then decided to yank it out, but it was too big to get out.

My period's over now, but is there anyway that I can make it feel less like I want to rip out my vagina when it's time for it to come out?
On Sat Aug 23, 2008 07:48 PM
Katja,

Actually....hand washing has never been an issue for me.....but I'll be honest I soak my pads for a few days so when I do hand wash they are mostly clean anyways. I also rinse them out pretty much right away.....even when I'm at work (we have a few private bathrooms where I can do this).....so by the time I go to wash them most of the blood is gone anyways. I'll have to post a few pictures of my stash because none of my pads are very thick at all. (At least not as thick as store bought ones but yet they absorb more.) So I'm not sure what you mean by "thickness" because most of the pagds I've seen and have owned are not as thick as sposie maxi pads. :?

As far as boiling.....I don't see why you can't use the same pan.....after all boiling water will kill any nastys. But if it bothers you that much you could get a separate pan.....although I personally don't see why you would need to, as boiling water will kill germs.

Ok to the poster above me.

You have to break the seal! That will certainly help. WHen you go to remove your cup as you start to pull it out pinch the bottom of it. Doing so should release the seal. PM me if you need extra help. You can also practice this while not on your period. :)
By rocketcitydancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1315, member since Tue Aug 13, 2002
On Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:35 AM
^ Thanks!! I'll give it another go and let you know if I'm still struggling!
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:13 PM
I use the ultra-thin pads...and the cloth ones definitely have to be similar in thickness to a regular maxi, from what I've been told...I'm not sure I want to go back to the "OMG I can totally tell I've got a pad on" feeling!
Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch