Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Alternative Menstrual Products…be kind to yourself and to the Environment!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 01:58 PM
^

I have a few liner pads that are basically a single peice of flannel with some PUL on the back to help prevent accidental leaking.

It's actually a lot thinner than the store bought pads.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Oct 14, 2008 04:08 AM
Edited by haematite_dancer (183827) on 2008-10-14 04:12:47
I've been wanting to try reusable pads for some time now, but am hesitant due to my insanely heavy flow (eg: one "overnight" pad per hour).

While I know each brand has its own quirks and benefits, I was wondering if somebody could help me answer a few questions about cloth pads in general.

~ Are they "waterproof"? I live in terror of leakages, especially on a long commute on PT, so leakproof is a must!

~ How do you discreetly store them until you can get home to soak them? Do they start to smell if left for longer periods of time (no pun intended)? I'm away from home approximately 11 hours per day.

~ How many cloth pads does the average person need per month?

~ Are they comfortable? Do they stay in place? Is there a partticular shape that works best for you?

~ What was the transition from disposable to cloth like?

~ What brand(s)/style(s) would you recommend?
re: Alternative Menstrual Products…be kind to yourself and to the Environment! (karma: 1)
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Oct 22, 2008 07:58 PM
~ Are they "waterproof"? I live in terror of leakages, especially on a long commute on PT, so leakproof is a must!

Yes....you can get pads with a waterproof liner.....Manymoons is one place that sells them... but you can find them elsewhere as well.

~ How do you discreetly store them until you can get home to soak them? Do they start to smell if left for longer periods of time (no pun intended)? I'm away from home approximately 11 hours per day.

I'm away from home for over 14 hours some days, mine have never smelled. You can wrap them in a ziplock baggie or you can buy a carrying case for them, that you throw in your purse. I have a ziplock baggie I use to carry mine around in, that I rinse out and reuse.

~ How many cloth pads does the average person need per month?

That depends on the woman.....but here is a basic guideline.

If you have a light to medium flow, a good staring point is 6 pads.
If you have a heavier flow, 12 pads is a good starting point
The number of pads you will need also depends on whether or not you plan to do a wash during your cycle.

~ Are they comfortable? Do they stay in place? Is there a partticular shape that works best for you?

Yes very comfy, Mine stay in place pretty well, I have found one of the WAHM's pads I bought the small size tends to ride up....but I don't have problems with the other pads I bought from her, so it's all good. The cloth pads with wings that snap underneath your underwear are the only ones I use,

~ What was the transition from disposable to cloth like?

It wasn't hard at all, once I made the decision I went out, bought what I needed, saved a few pads and tampons for guests that needed them and gave the rest to a friend of mine.

~ What brand(s)/style(s) would you recommend?

I really like Manymoons, but I have heard GOOD things about gladrags....which I may try when it's time to add to the collection. I have a set from a WAHM that I found on livejournal, I like her pads as well, I just have had some issues with heR liner size, riding up, other than that I like them.

I also have been known to make my own, I'm not the best sewer by any means, but it isn't too hard to make a pad with liners. I use the many moons pattern.
On Fri Oct 24, 2008 09:39 PM
Thank you SO much for your reply. I've ordered a couple from a local Aussie site (because they're next to impossible to find in stores here) to try for my next cycle, and hopefully if I like them will get a few more next pay so I have sufficient for a complete non-disposable cycle.

The initial cost is a bit of a killer, but I'm looking forward to the long-term savings and added health/environmental benefits. :)
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 07:18 PM
Double-posting, but for the record (and for the Aussies), wemoon.com.au is awesome. I'm hooked. I'm a convert.

Thanks hylndlas for all your info on this topic!
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 09:18 PM
^ Thank you sooo much! That will make buying cloth pads so much cheaper. :D
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:29 PM
:D
There are a couple of others that I found while searching for a reasonably local suppliers:
Radpads and Cloth Pad Shop, but I have no idea what they're like. Wemoons are pretty and wonderfully comfy though! :D

It took about a week to get them sent from NSW to Melbourne.
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:37 PM
Yup, I'm in Qld so it won't be too bad. I may be going overboard here but I really want undyed organic cotton (just to be uber-safe) and didn't come across that site when I was googling. Now I just have to find an Australian site I can order a divacup from!
On Fri Nov 28, 2008 07:03 PM
^ I've looked high and low for you and it seems that you can't get the diva cup in Australia. :(

You can order one online from overseas or you can get the silicon keeper (moon cup) in some stores in Australia.

But no diva cup to be found.
By Cliffbella Comments: 146, member since Tue Dec 16, 2008
On Fri Jan 02, 2009 07:49 PM
This is FANTASTIC!! I'm an eco friendly maniac, and i totally love this thread!! Thanks! :)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:06 PM
Ok, so FINALLY, a year and some months later, I am getting my butt into gear and getting a diva cup and some cloth.

My first, immediate check will be going for a diva cup. After that, I want to slowly build up a supply of cloth. I'll start with some liners, maybe a few overnights.

So, the local co-op sells party in my pants pads. Obviously, the appeal of them is that I don't have to pay shipping, and I can just bring them home right away and wash them, and they're ready. However, does anyone have experience with them? I would really rather get WAHM pads. Do you just soak them in water, or add anything to it?
On Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:15 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2009-01-14 21:17:59 typing with one hand
Im not familiar with that brand of pad, but I don't know why you would need to do anything special to them.

I'd just wash them before you wear them.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:37 PM
Edited by Kekoa (69553) on 2009-01-14 21:43:45
Haha, no, I meant since I can go straight to the store and buy them, they're ready as soon as I wash them. As opposed to ordering online and waiting for them to get mailed to me, which always takes at least a week, no matter what I order or where I order from.

blog.lunapads.com . . .

Is this website working for anyone else? It's not working for me, and they're sending a free pad to those interested according to a facebook group. I'm bummed, because I really wanted to try one before I spend the money on a good stash :(

As for the talk of soaking, I meant what do you do with the used ones between washes? Just a small pail of water? Soap?
On Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 AM
^ I just rinse mine than toss into a bucket until wash day. I used to soak (sometimes I still will) but with M around and taking care of her I kinda have been slack on certain things.

When I do soak I use a smidgen of oxyclean and detergent in the soak water.....than when ready to wash I just toss the entire bucket into the wash.

And yes the site is working for me.
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 01:41 PM
www.partypantspads.com . . .

For the $2.99 shipping fee, anybody can get a free cloth panty liner! I've heard they're a good way to ease into cloth, or an inexpensive way to try if you're interested.
On Thu Feb 19, 2009 03:29 PM
Oh, and on a whim I bought a cloth pantyliner at the co-op today when I went in for olive oil! It's washed and ready to go for it's maiden voyage :)

I can't get over how cute it is...menstrual products, cute...who'd have thought it was possible?

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/DSC00177.jpg'

I really would like to get a few of the overnight ones too. The first day of my period, I have cramps like whoa and I don't like internal protection...and I'm so paranoid about leakage, I like long, super absorbent pads.
On Fri Feb 20, 2009 03:39 PM
I hate to write three posts in a row, but I can't edit.

First of all, the liner a.k.a. my intro to cloth. My period was supposed to start today, so I threw it on this morning to make sure I didn't make a mess. A few hours later, I checked, and yep, period started. My diva cup hadn't gotten here yet, so I put in a tampon and rinsed my liner in cold water and threw it in the wash with a load of undies. Absolutely no big deal, and not gross in the least, which I admit I thought it would be. A few hours later, I checked the mail and yep, diva cup was here.

I scrubbed it out with soap and hot water, rinsed it really well, and prepared myself. I admit, I'm so brainwashed in this tampon society that I almost got cold feet. However, I figured I'd spent the money on it and I was very pleasantly surprised with the non-grossness of cloth, so I figured the diva would be fine. I followed the instructions which told me to fold it into a U and insert, then turn it one full turn to make sure it popped open. I got it in, and tried to turn it. No luck. I realized I was tensing up, so I relaxed for a minute and tried again. Success! I pushed it up as far as it would go so it was comfortable, put on the liner to catch any leaks in case it wasn't put in right, and here we go!

It's very, very comfortable. As much as you can't feel tampons, you feel this even less. I didn't have to trim the stem at all. As far as my cloth, I love it so much that I ordered one of the liners from the link I posted above. My friend and I also found a step by step site and are spending a whole day making some overnight ones and a few more liners. I figure it'd be nice to have some big ones for crampy days where I don't feel like wearing the diva, and I'll probably just use pads most period nights. All in all, making this switch is great. It's been a few hours and I'm already totally in love with my diva.
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1106, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sun Mar 01, 2009 02:14 PM
If you are in the UK pinkrobin.co.uk has a range of these products and kits at average prices. I have just ordered a diva cup and 2 weemoon pantyliners after getting so fed up with period and tampons. I am a dance teacher and on my first day I have to make sure I leave enough time at break and lunch to go to the loo so hopefully diva cup will mean it doesnt matter if I am busy at break times.

Thought I would try the pantyliners as I currently only use pads at night as a break from tampons and I hate them so much. So if things go well will move on to full pads. Also I know when I have a child I would like to use cloth nappies so thought this might be a good start to get used to cloth as kids are a few years of yet.

Nic
By SkipSkipTrip Comments: 51, member since Fri Feb 27, 2009
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 AM
I don't think I have been as excited to buy a period product as today. After having to buy extra pads last night (of course why would the store have the small pack..) and other supplies,I made up my mind. Thanks to no work due to snow and after dropping off the hubby at work...I drove to Whole Foods and am now the proud owner of my very own diva cup! My whole drive home I was like a little kid who couldn't wait to open a new toy.
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1106, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:29 PM
I keep looking to ztill what is out there in the uk. Found this site: www.femininewear.co.uk . . . only thing is it does not do any kits so may be more expensive then others.

rachaelhertogs.co.uk is another good website and has some pretty designs of bags and has a good range of kits.

Nic
By ReelJiggered Comments: 542, member since Wed Sep 03, 2008
On Thu Mar 05, 2009 02:10 PM
Just want to announce myself as a user of the Keeper AND cotton pads. I usually use a cotton pad as a panty liner along with my Keeper "just in case" to clean up any "accidents" (usually completely unnecessary). I've been using this system for years in public toilets, camping and while living without any plumbing and I LOVE IT!

K
On Fri Mar 06, 2009 05:49 PM
I already posted my monkey liner, so here are two more of my PIMPs...before ever being worn, don't worry ;)

Here's my $2.99 wide liner. I much prefer it to the regular liner. It has some extra padding, and is longer.

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/DSC00179.jpg'

Here's the overnight pad that I bought today at the co-op. It's really cute! It's really long, and by feeling it I can tell it'll be far more absorbent than any sposie I've used, it's so thin!

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/DSC00185.jpg'
On Fri Mar 06, 2009 09:51 PM
^ Oh I like the Turtle one!
On Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 PM
Still on the search as not got the money to afford loads of cloth pads and found a couple more UK sites of people making pads on a smaller scale and sometimes as much as half the price as the big names. Also the Luna wolf site has reusable cloths you can buy to use to take make up of with as well.

www.weenotions.info
www.lunawolf.co.uk . . .

Nicola
On Sun Mar 15, 2009 09:58 PM
I'm hopelessly addicted to cloth pads! I've been browsing different WAHM pads, and I have my card here waiting to buy :)

I feel almost bad, like I wasted money on my diva, since I have the feeling I'll be doing 50/50 cloth/diva once I get my stash built up. I think what I'll do is cloth at night/around the house and use my diva for anything like work or going out. The good thing about cloth is that even if I only wear it for three hours, I'm not wasting it...I wash mine with my towels so one more pad doesn't make a difference :)
Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch