Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Alternative Menstrual Products…be kind to yourself and to the Environment!
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:01 AM
After spending my monthly $20 on panty liners, pads, and tampons again, I'm really sick of it and ready to make the switch. My question is this though, do the cups stay in place while being active? I dance at least 6 hours a week and go running at least twice a week, but it's mostly the twisting and turning and contractions and releases of dancing that worries me. Can anyone vouch for security while doing lots of extreme movements?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 PM
Edited by Kekoa (69553) on 2009-03-16 13:43:13
^Yes. It forms a seal, so there's no way it can leak once it's popped open, unless you leave it in far too long. I went to the gym, did yoga, spent hours walking and not a problem. Several of the ladies on here use them and dance all the time.

Oh, and here are the new pads I ordered! The pics are taken from the lady's site. Period is due Wednesday so hopefully they arrive within a few days!

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/red2.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/KaylaBeanie/red-1.jpg'

The zebra is fleece, and the red is minky velour. The pads I already have contain a PUL lining, and these don't so we'll see how it goes...I asked Nadine about it and she says that it doesn't matter. I'm excited to get them!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 09:12 PM
^Nah.....you don't need Pul.....Fleece is also a good moisture blocker.

I just sometimes like Pul if I know I need to extra backup.....like if I'm working or going to be out for awhile.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:03 PM
^Well, my tentative plan is to use cloth when I'm lounging around the house, at night, and if I'm going somewhere low-key like grocery shopping or my grandma's. Work and anytime where I'll be out of the house for awhile, I'll use my diva.

Are ones without PUL more breathable? I have a lingering yeast infection I'm trying to kill with kombucha, lots of water, and going commando at night. I'm hoping this upcoming period combined with more breathable pads will kill what's left of it :?
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2009-03-16 22:16:14 ok so I lied.
^ Ok that settles it....I'm a hippy. I never wear undies at night....ever. lol Ok... I take that back....only when I'm on the rag....other than that I don't.

Anyways.....yes fleece is more breathable than PUL.

On a side note....fleece also makes great diaper covers when combating diaper rashes!
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:23 PM
Well I'm pretty good undie-wise. I wear thongs like...twice a month, and it's 100% cotton otherwise. But I worked like 8 nights in a row and was lazy and slept with undies on, which I never do. Sure enough, yeast infection. Gahhh....

Thanks though. Any idea if the diva will do anything to lessen/make worse/nothing my infection? I know tampons always made it worse. I'm thinking pads this period might be a best bet since the thought of anything internal is making me cringe.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1483, member since Fri Mar 20, 2009
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting that!
That's really cool!
I have to admit though, the sea sponges sort of shocked me.
The first thing that popped in my head was that my hermit crab, Kyra, is over there on my table drinking water from one.
But that's really cool! Lol!
I've been interested in the menstrual cups for a while now.
They don't leak do they...?
Great for dance and recitals, eh?
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1106, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Wed Apr 01, 2009 02:30 PM
Started using my cloth pads and much prefer my luna wolf pads and not weemoon ones. Think it is just the shape more then anything and I because luna wolf is a home run business I can choose the fabric and even have them cutom made.

Nic
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1106, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 AM
Started using my moon cup and inserting is fine but removing it is seemeing to be more difficult my fingers dont seem to be long enough to grab the bottom of the actual cup. I have trimmed the stem a bit so is more comfortable.

Getting some more pads delivered this week. I am going to keep my old pads and tampons in case i need them or for friends.

Nic
re: Alternative Menstrual Productsbe kind to yourself and to the Environment!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 PM
I can't remember if I've asked this or not, but here's a quick question for those of you using cloth: have you noticed a change in your flow at all?

I'd read about cloth making periods lighter and shorter, but didn't really believe it. I do now. Whether it's a sheer coincidence or related to the latest pill I'm on or what, I don't know, but this is the sixth month in a row that it's been relatively light and half the length of time it used to be. Even over summer, which were my worst months, it was short and light.

Cloth is FANTASTIC! :D
On Thu May 21, 2009 11:27 PM
^I've noticed that too! Mine are heavy-ish, but I don't bleed through any of my pads and my cycles used to last 7-8 days and they last 5 or so now. I only use my diva cup for when I'm at work, that's how much I love my cloth. I got my first assuming it'd be nasty and gross and I'd hate it, but figured "hey, why not try it?" A few cycles later and I'm sold. I will NEVER go back to sposies, ever. I no longer hate my period. It's just fabulous.

I'd also like to preach the wonders of non-waterproofed pads. I have a few that have no PUL backing, and they're my favorites. They are super absorbent, don't leak, and you get some air-flow to your ladybits that you just don't get with the waterproofed ones. I'd really encourage some of you ladies to look at the different "mama pads" on hyenacart. They're made by work at home moms. The quality I've gotten so far is outstanding, you get a better deal, and you're not supporting big business :)

hyenacart.com . . .
On Sat May 23, 2009 10:13 AM
www.clothpadshop.com

Here is another shop but it is a host for all the shops within USA, Candan, OZ, New Zealand and Europe so will help everyone to find different shapes and fabrics easily.

Nic x
On Mon May 25, 2009 12:38 AM
What does everyone's family and friends think about alternative menstrual products?

My mom thought the diva cup was kind of gross, but chalked it up to me being weird. I told her about my cloth pads today and she freaked out. Thought they were nasty, etc. I told her HA, I love them and I wash them myself. I don't bug her about what she uses for her period, so she shouldn't bug me. After she admitted she feared I'd run off and join a commune and never speak to her again, I laughed, told her she was nuts, and all was good :)

My friends are great. One uses naturacare tampons, and the other uses the diva cup as well and is buying her first set of cloth :D The rest use regular sposies, but haven't ever said anything about my alterna-products.
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Tue Jun 23, 2009 04:42 PM
^My mom doesn't think to highly of them, and she won't let me get a DivaCup. I haven't brought it up with my friends, but I doubt they'd want to try it.

On a happier note, I made five cloth pads! I used some old cotton sweatshirts and the patterns on page one of this thread. I'v also switch over to organic tampons with no applicator for when I'm swimming or dancing. No applicator=less pollution, though not as good as using a cup or sponge.
On Tue Jun 23, 2009 05:05 PM
^Do you have a natural foods type store nearby? If so, just save the odd dollar and such until you hit $30 and buy one...she wouldn't even need to know. Not that I'm an advocate of lying to parents, but I think personal things such as menstrual products should be up to the user.
On Tue Jun 23, 2009 07:12 PM
^I have actually looked up a health food store that I could feasably walk to and buy a DivaCup, but I am currently completely broke, and don't currently have a steady source of income. I'm getting there, though.
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 07:57 AM
Wonderful and educational post!

I will definitely consider switching! I actually think what I'm most comfortable with is trying the sea sponges!

Thanks!

DbG
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 04:16 PM
Question: Would homemade-ish sea sponges be okay? Could I just buy a big sponge, cut pieces to size, and sanitize them by boiling?
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 05:30 PM
I'm not sure, but I think the biggest appeal for a lot of alternative products is that there's less chemicals in your vagina, and since a normal sponge has all that, but it's not chemicals that are tested for insertion into bodily cavities (I mean, why would they?) I don't think I'd feel good trying it...
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 05:14 PM
^It would still be a sea sponge, not an artificial one, if that makes a difference.
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 09:25 PM
^ I've heard of people doing that....however the reason some people choose sponges is because of the way they are harvested in a sustainable way.

If....

1) that matters to you and know the sponge you want to use is

or

2) don't mind if it's not

Boil it really well first than cut it into smaller pieces, so that it will fit. But I would only use it if I knew that it had been sterilized first.
On Thu Jul 09, 2009 09:42 AM
This is my stash so far.

From left to right:
Poppy and geisha Luna wolf medium pad
Poppy and bird luna wolf pantyliner
Black and leopard Lunapads mini pantyliner (I have 2 only 1 pictured)

Pink Weemoon pantyliner (I have 2 only 1 pictured)

Then at the top are 4 cotton pads to use like cotton wool which I got from lunawolf. They are cotton one side hemp fleece the other. Lunawolf is a from home business but the standard of her pads are very good. I am getting used to the weemoons and I find they work best in more shorts like pants then normal briefs.

I am a complete convert now I use a moon cup UK most of the time and then pads at night. Not found any problems I dry pail the pads and then soak them in stain remover before putting them in the wash.

Nic
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Mon Jul 13, 2009 08:05 AM
After some drama, I managed to get my Mooncup UK in and out when I actually had little intention of doing so. Wore it for most of the afternoon and then to ballet - didn't feel it once I'd trimmed the stem to the right length, and this is coming from the girl who could ALWAYS feel tampons!

So, looks like it's going to be mooncup by day and cloth pads by night. The cloth pads are so much better than disposable ones, but cleaning them is driving me batty now that the novelty has well and truly gone.

Mum and sis still look at me like I'm weird though. Ah well, their loss! :D
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Sep 19, 2009 09:29 PM
Well... it does add a little jolt to the usual print?
Image hotlink - 'http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/09/holygoddamnshit.jpg'
LOLOL the picture address is hilarious and so is the story I found accompanying it:
Owen Good@Kotaku wrote:

If you're an environmentally conscious Pokémon fan on the rag, or know someone who is, have I got the gift for you.

That, dear readers, is a blue flannel custom made Pokémon-themed menstruation pad. Don't worry, Pikachu won't end up like Sissy Spacek in Carrie, he's on the other side of the battle. I think.

I think. Hell, I'm less qualified to talk about menstruation than I am about Warcraft. I haven't had a serious girlfriend in four years, and she preferred tampons. Handmade, washable menstrual pads seem to be a green alternative to buying up Stayfree and chucking them in the landfill. But Pokémon?

Unbelievable.

Made me lol.
On Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:21 PM
^ I love it!

I never got into Pokomon....I found it annoying but my sisters loved it when they were little. But I'd so get that one!

I'm shaking the dust off my pads.....10 months Post Partum and Mother nature has come back for a visit.
Going to Whold foods this weekend to get a new Diva since I don't think my keeper will fit anymore since I've had a kid.
Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch