Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Alternative Menstrual Products…be kind to yourself and to the Environment!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:46 AM
The last few months, I've been having some problems with my diva :(

I fold it up to put it in (the U fold), but once it's in, it doesn't pop open. I haven't really minded, I picked up some organic tampons at the local co-op for yoga/long outings, and wore my cloth the rest of the time. However, I used the last tampon yesterday, and I either have to get more or figure out this diva cup problem, since my cloth pads aren't going to cut it for yoga class tonight...help?
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Oct 14, 2009 08:15 PM
Have you tried the punch down fold?

It's when you fold the cup in half than push down one of the sides.

community.livejournal.com . . .
By OnstageForevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1232, member since Wed May 05, 2004
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 09:50 PM
I got a Diva Cup earlier this year and, for the most part, I really like it.

However, I've noticed that, for my past few periods, my cramps have been noticeably worse. It's probably coincidental (and even if there is some kind of correlation, it's not bad enough to stop using my Diva Cup,) but has anyone else noticed this?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:03 PM
My cramps on the diva are about equal to those caused by a tampon. I actually have been having major leakage issues with my diva, so I've been sticking to just my cloth pads. I'm planning to get some more and just use those for now, and eventually I'll try the moon cup or something.
By CrayolaPremium member Comments: 1549, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 05:10 PM
I ordered my fist stash from Party in my Pants today :) I'm really excited to try them out...I just hope they get here in time for my next period!

PIMP was the only website I could find that had fleece AIO's. I don't want to have to deal with inserts or anything of the like. Can anyone recommend some good sites for cute AIO's? I've checked out some of the websites posted here, but PIMP was the only one that had what I wanted.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 05:33 PM
I know you're not in Australia, but wemoon.com.au are awesome (and they do ship overseas). The fabrics aren't as cute as the PIMP ones (well, not currently - some of mine are really cute), but they're so comfy and I like the shape. :)
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1106, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:16 PM
This is why you should only buy a couple at a time.

Weemoon - I have 2 panty liners in rose and they stain really easy, soak and wash the same as my other yet cant get the stain out. Do not like the shape unless they are in more boy cut pants.

Lunapads - I really like, love shape and fleece of their pantiliners but they are nearly double another home made shop I have bought from. Keep getting the urge to buy more though. I have not tried the pads and liners but I prefer all in ones seeing as I only use pads at night.

Luna wolf (UK) Cottage business, love the shape, style of fabrics, prices and they hardly stain unless fabric is really light.

Think I have neough pads etc now and I am an avid moon cup uk user. its so more convient and comfortable.

Nic
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:40 AM
I'm up to twelve pads now! Unfortunately, the most recent one I bought doesn't do much...I soaked right through it :( I definitely won't be getting another one like that, thankfully I only spent $3 on it! I have found a brand, Zen Moon, that I adore. They're a little more expensive, I spend $9 for a regular-to-heavy pad, but it's organic bamboo velour and so nice. I need to stock up on some heavier pads, because my regular-to-light ones outnumber the heavier ones.

Anyhow, my best friend and I made some pads! Here's a pic
twitpic.com . . .

They're really lopsided, but that's because we had no printer to print out an even pattern, we just had to trace one of my pads to make a pattern. When I get home, I plan to get some nicer fabric and make some higher-quality pads, since I'll have access to a printer and my own sewing machine. They're made out of fleece and have two layers of a different type of fleece with a semi-waterproof backing. I can't see how on earth they'd leak, but I'll have to wait until my next period to see.
By OnstageForevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1232, member since Wed May 05, 2004
On Mon Dec 28, 2009 08:46 PM
I'm starting college in September. How should I handle using, and specifically cleaning a Diva Cup in a dorm? Not that I'm ashamed of it, but boiling my reusable menstrual cup in the communal kitchenette is not really the first impression I'd like to make on everyone...
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 07, 2010 08:32 PM
I just ordered a diva cup. I'm tired of spending a ton on tampons. :D *shakes fist* Take that tampax!!!!! :P
By HeatherJeane Comments: 39, member since Thu Jan 21, 2010
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 PM
Thanks so much for this thread. During my late teens I became sensitive to tampons in what might be tss symptoms and in my twenties, I became allergic to the material used in thin pads. I tried the instead cup but it didn't work well for my body and leaked when I strained to pick up my kids or things like that so for the past decade, I've been stuck with thick pads (really unpleasant when dancing) and unable to swim during my period. I was at the point where I was considering a hysterectomy just to be done with it.

I stopped by the natural alternatives store in town today and picked up a DivaCup. It was easy to use and comfortable for me and I got it right the first try. I threw out my pads with a sense of liberation!
By contemp_is_rad Comments: 412, member since Thu Oct 22, 2009
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 03:16 PM
Onstage Forever - for the first little while, you could just wash them out in the shower - that's what i tend to do when i'm camping etc. but when it comes to boiling it... that's a little more tricky... pop it in a mug and pretend you're making a cuppa tea? :P hehe. Good luck!
By HeatherJeane Comments: 39, member since Thu Jan 21, 2010
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 08:12 AM
It's too late to edit my previous post so I'm going to add my thoughts after my first period using the DivaCup. It worked really well with an exception. It did leak during my heaviest flow. I wrote them asking about it and they sent back the canned instructions on how to properly insert the cup which I'd read, reread and then re-reread on the online faq. Obviously, I know how to use it properly because except for when I was flowing at the rate of half an ounce in an hour (yes, I was very suprised and the markings on the cup showed me something I didn't know) the cup worked exactly as intended. My guess is that the flow was too heavy to allow the cup to form a proper seal.

Still, having to use a pad as backup for a few hours is far superior to having to use them a full week every four weeks so I'm happy with the purchase.
By nic_dancezonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1106, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 05:10 AM
Question - do you store your pads falt or folded up? I do not think it matters but was just wondering.

Ive had my cup 6 months now and no looking back to tampons.

Nic
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 04:37 PM
I store mine flat.

I used to keep mine in my underwear drawer but I have so many that it wasn't fitting anymore.....so I bought a cart and drawers from Target and keep them in there now in my closet. :)
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 04:47 PM
I keep mine flat as well. I actually stack them from biggest to smallest and store them in a mesh bag in my bathroom drawer. I finally, FINALLY figured out how to successfully use the "s-fold" for my diva, and it's working amazingly. I'm back to pads the first day/each night/last day or two when it's light, diva the rest of the time.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 09:30 PM
So, I bought a Diva a couple weeks ago and am just finishing my first period using it. It's amazing! I'm so happy I finally got one. I'm not looking back. It was pretty tricky to use at first, especially getting it out, but it gets way easier with practice. I even used it on an 18 hour train ride with no problems. It's so nice to think about never using a tampon again!

I really want to invest in some cloth pads now as well. I mostly just want some pantyliners to wear with my diva and maybe some regular ones for if I just don't feel like wearing the cup. So I'm going to check some of those out.
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 09:36 PM
dancinqt5013 wrote:

So, I bought a Diva a couple weeks ago and am just finishing my first period using it. It's amazing! I'm so happy I finally got one. I'm not looking back. It was pretty tricky to use at first, especially getting it out, but it gets way easier with practice. I even used it on an 18 hour train ride with no problems. It's so nice to think about never using a tampon again!

I really want to invest in some cloth pads now as well. I mostly just want some pantyliners to wear with my diva and maybe some regular ones for if I just don't feel like wearing the cup. So I'm going to check some of those out.

PM me if you want recommendations. I've tried several different brands :)
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:40 AM
If you are in the UK I can give recommendations.

Best thing is to only buy one or two of the brand and test it out.

I prefer the lunapad shape compared to the Weemoon shape but thats just personal preference.

Nic
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:19 PM
nic_dancezone wrote:

Question - do you store your pads falt or folded up? I do not think it matters but was just wondering.

Ive had my cup 6 months now and no looking back to tampons.

Nic

Flat. Sometimes there's an unused one folded up in the little bag I carry them in, and I'll leave that one folded until the following month, but for the most part, flat. The folded-all-month one always feels slightly uncomfortable compared to the flat.

I keep them in a box in the bathroom, along with disposables of varying sorts (leftovers from when I used to use them!) for guest emergencies.

I'm still on the fence about getting a cup. Vulvodynia makes tampons impossible, and I'm just not sure if the cup will be the same. :\
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sat Mar 20, 2010 08:33 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Diva!!!!!! Even after my Endo surgery, I still have bad cramps, but since using the Diva, they've been MUCH less severe. :) Probably because all the moisture isn't being sucked out. Also, for those of you worried about it overflowing, i've left it in close for 18 hrs (my bad memory, I know, I know) and it wasn't even half full. I also have a relatively heavy flow. Also, i've danced with my Diva in, worked out with it in. Only thing I haven't done with it in is gymnastics. (You can't have sex with a diva in) I don't really have any cons to it. It took me a couple days to get the hang of it, but once I did, I absolutely loved it. :D
On Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 PM
This is my method of washing and it gets out 95% of the stains. only my weemoons have any stains. I have even got old stains out of a light coloured pad using this method:

lunawolfpads.blogspot.com . . .

It basically boils down to:

1. folding pads in half and dry pailing in a laundry bag or I use a big lunch box.

2. Soak in cold water

3. Rinse in cold water.

4. Soak again in cold water with some stain remover leave to soak

5. Rinse and wash as normal in the washing machine on normal temperature

Has always worked for me x
By RibenaRockstar Comments: 426, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Wed Mar 24, 2010 02:51 PM
I think I might try using cloth pads when I move upstairs and have my own bathroom. Right now I share a bathroom with the little brother, so it's all about discreetness.
By stripedballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 380, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Wed May 19, 2010 07:04 PM
hello ladies so, I lost my virginity a month ago so I decided it was time to start using tampons now that I'm more mature about all reproductive-related things. I wanted to go with organic tampons, there was supposed to be this one drugstore in my country that sells them so I went there today and couldn't find them, looks like they don't carry them anymore :(
Can you tell me if tampons are more environment friendly than pads?
On Wed May 19, 2010 09:32 PM
^They're more eco-friendly in that they take up less room, but the sheer volume of tampons disposed of each year is still VERY high. I'd really encourage you to check out a diva cup, sea sponge, cloth pads, etc. I've used organic tampons in a pinch before, and they're not AS bad, but the other options are cheaper, more comfortable and far more eco-friendly :)

Ladies, I won free pads! I'll upload a picture when I get them, but they were custom made. Tie dyed with skulls :D
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch