Popular Disco

Laine Summer School.......... by sophiedoll
Hi all, haven't been on here in ages!But I have a couple of questions for you........... I've...

Forum: Costumes

Teachers - Costumes
Canadian Costume Companies? en>fr fr>en
By Kaydence Comments: 289, member since Tue Nov 22, 2005
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 07:22 AM

Where do you Canadian teachers order your costumes from? I know it will be easier to order some of my costumes this year, as opposed to sewing everything, but I don't think I want to deal with buying from the States. Are there any decent companies up here? I'm in Ontario.

Thanks

Luv
Kaydence

18 Replies to Canadian Costume Companies?

re: Canadian Costume Companies? en>fr fr>en
By dancinlaur Comments: 310, member since Sun Sep 26, 2004
On Wed Aug 09, 2006 03:40 PM
I began ordering from the states this year. We had to pay a lot to bring them into the country but it was well worth it for the quality of costumes we got for our money. I have yet to find anything in Ontario that is comparable to anything in the U.S. Keep me posted and let me know if you find anything. Good luck:)
costumes en>fr fr>en
By candyp Comments: 39, member since Tue Aug 15, 2006
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 PM
I used to purchase costumes from the US and found it extremely expensive and often would have to tear one apart to make it fit properly. (my mom and I are both seamstresses). The other issue I had was children with longer than normal torsos and the suit riding up their butt (drives me crazy!). I have since opened a small costume company here in Eastern Ontario - I am about an hour out of Ottawa in Cornwall. I do costumes by order only. We purchase only good quality fabric, sequins, rhinestones, etc. Customers send me a photo or describe what they are looking for. I will cost it out and normally it is a fair bit less expensive than purchasing from the US. I have had many teachers as my students at competitions where they got their costumes and that is how I have gotten some of my customers.
If you are interested in our costumes, please contact me. I would be happy to send you photos or a costume to let you see for yourself the quality.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:26 AM
You should all get together, en masse, and write the companies and beg them to do something for Canadiens. Maybe someone will.

I would offer to smuggle costumes in for you but.....

LOL
By Tapdanzer Comments: 431, member since Mon Aug 25, 2003
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 AM
Hey,
I'm from Ontario too and the only Canadian company I know of it Pazzappa (sp.?). It is cheap mainly because you get what you pay for. The costumes are pretty ugly especially compared to the US. I also found that a lot of the costumes are tummy tops or just shorter tops so a lot of the costumes you can't use if you have bigger girls in your class. If you're doing the catalogue thing, stick to the States!
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 AM
I tried Pazapa one year too and was not happy. Besides, I often found that I would want a certain colour and of course most companies would only make the colours they wanted to. That's how I got into making costumes. Up to that point we had been doing Highland Dancing kilts and other costumes for those dancers and wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses. I enjoy the dance costume creation much better. And yes, it is so much better when you can create what you want based on the dancers in the class!
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 02:30 PM
I've head of Pazzapa as well, but wasn't impressed with what I saw from them.

*sigh*

It was worth a try! I was hoping there would at least be a couple Canadian companies out there!

Luv
Kaydence
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 03:41 PM
Why don't you all write a letter to United Dance Merchants of America to forward to their members, asking them to help you come up with solutions.

You really need some good companies.
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 08:15 PM
I have actually talked to two of the larger companies. They were not interested in creating anything in Canada. I was told they were hard pressed to keep up with their current business and expanding to Canada was not possible. They both said that they had many Canadian customers who had been with them for years. I guess I am just too small a school, from a relatively small town to be able to afford their prices .... but I like being in a small town .... so we became creative ourselves and are doing just fine!
Canadian Costume Company en>fr fr>en
By Julia Comments: 38, member since Sat Mar 02, 2002
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 08:58 PM
I have been ordering from a small company in Miramichi NB for the past 16 years. Their name is "Karasek Stage and ActionWear". They make the costumes in the color YOU want, with the trim YOU choose. They can even custom make a costume for the child that needs a size small with a large length pant because they happen to be tall. I am very, very satisified with them and am pleased with their quality. You can contact them by calling (506) 622-1361. The woman's name is Ellen. You can also write to them at 489 King George Highway, Miramichi NB E1V IM6. Hope this helps.
Do yo have the e-mail address from the woman near Ottawa who said that she made costumes?
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:15 PM
I am actually the lady who lives near Ottawa that does costumes. We also do special sizes - for the long torso, the long legs, the slightly plump, the larger chest, you know how different the dancers are shaped these days!
We also do what YOU want, in the Colour YOU want, with the trim YOU want, and in the fabric YOU want.
My direct email is candyp@sympatico.ca

I would love to talk to you about the possibility of working with you.
By dance_chicka99 Comments: 380, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Thu Sep 07, 2006 09:52 AM
we have used six o activewear, and there stuff it pretty good. for recital or for rec comp kids. I used that Pazzapa company aswell, and I didnt think they were that bad. I have had uglier and crappier costumes made for me lol.

what we did for ordering from the states was go to a dance store, and she did everything for us. we just picked what we wanted. unfortunatly not too many stores do that anymore. (this one is in hamilton)

there are also some great seamstreeses in this area that have decent pricing. i know of a couple in hamilton and one in burlington. guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

where in ontario are you located?
By TwinkletoesRebel Comments: 104, member since Wed Aug 23, 2006
On Thu Sep 07, 2006 09:58 AM
I get all our studios' costumes from Art Stone, Weissmans, or Leo's. I have them shipped and incorporate the costume cost into the fees. It's not always easy working within budgets but I insist on our teachers keeping things within a range.

I have a costume room from collecting specialty costumes over the last 25 years, some are in mint shape. We rent them out. I have a few ladies that sew but to be honest by the time they're done, it's cheaper to order.

Be careful of delivery dates, always give yourself extra space. I've in all these years, only had two incidences with wrong costumes or mistakes in the orders. Take the time to order carefully, order early and measure allowing extra room for growth, remember a costume is easier to alter if too big then if too small.

If any of you have any other ideas, I'd like to see them.
costumes en>fr fr>en
On Thu Sep 07, 2006 07:48 PM
We take orders for costumes and create what you are looking for in the type of fabric and trim and in the colour you want. We make special sizes (longer torso) etc. at no extra charge.

We are located in Cornwall, Ontario just an hour south of Ottawa. We would be happy to show you a few photos of some of the costumes we have made over the past few years. We would also be happy to provide quotes on a costume or two so that you can see what our pricing is like.
By mad_hatter_218 Comments: 333, member since Fri Apr 01, 2005
On Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:06 PM
I can't believe no one has said Knights yet!
The studio I danced at used them as well as I do now for my studio. They have great quality costumes, and their prices are fairly reasonable. When you call they send you out a book of the styles of tops and bottoms, they even have tutus. (the romatic tutus are gorgeous but the pancake ones are pretty floppy) And you send in the measurments you need so all the costumes fit pretty well, we never really have to do that much altering at all.

KNIGHTS Classic Bodywear
35 Robb Blvd. #6
Orangeville, Ontario
L9W 3L1
Toll Free Phone: 1-800-769-1504
Tel: 1-519-942-3818
Fax: 1-519-942-0624
E-mail: orders@knightsclassicbodywear.com

I'm not really on dance.net that often so if anyone has any questions you can email at impulsedance@cablerocket.com
On Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:16 PM
I completly forgot about Knights!! I remember using them as a student, we were able to do some wonderful things with their bodysuits, etc. Thanks a lot!!!

Kaydence
By Leahmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 937, member since Thu Feb 26, 2004
On Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:17 PM
I couldn't believe no one had mentioned Knight's either! We get all our costumes that we don't make ourselves from them. They are so nice and very good quality..slightly expensive though. A velvet halter bodysuit and pants cost us nearly $200. Well worth it though, we reuse them.
Canadian Costumes en>fr fr>en
By tapps Comments: 102, member since Fri Aug 06, 2004
On Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:01 PM
Hey! I live in Orillia Ontario and have a studio. I have the GREATEST Dance costume supplier. I have used Tammy Galdart for the past 6 years. Her costumes are amazing, I have had no problems with them at all. And her prices are fair!!!! I have ordered from Pazzpa.... crappy quality, And from Sixo.... very expensive, not alot of costume for the price. (Skimpy costumes!) I love Tammy. Here is her e-mail. tammygeldart@rogers.com She is from Toronto. E-mail her and ask for her catelog! You will not be disappointed!!! Please tell her Tracey told you about her. She is a great friend of mine!
Canadian costumes.... I have your answer! en>fr fr>en
By tapps Comments: 102, member since Fri Aug 06, 2004
On Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 PM
Hey! I live in Orillia Ontario and have a studio. I have the GREATEST Dance costume supplier. I have used Tammy Galdart for the past 6 years. Her costumes are amazing, I have had no problems with them at all. And her prices are fair!!!! I have ordered from Pazzpa.... crappy quality, And from Sixo.... very expensive, not alot of costume for the price. (Skimpy costumes!) I love Tammy. Here is her e-mail. tammygeldart@rogers.com She is from Toronto. E-mail her and ask for her catelog! You will not be disappointed!!! Please tell her Tracey told you about her. She is a great friend of mine!

ReplySendWatch