Forum: Sports / Sports Photos - Misc

some of my contortion pics
By Semi_Stretchymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 13, 2003 09:06 PM

these are just a few of the hundreds of contortion pictures i have. i love the art of contortion. it's just amazing to me. the woman in the two pictures on the bottom left side, and on the bottom right as well, is Ruby Ring. she is my inspiration and the reason i got into contortion. i have tons of her pictures and she has a smile in every single one of them!!LOL!! she makes the moves look soo easy and casual!!haha!! the others are just some random pictures from my collection. i hope everyone enjoys these! :)

mel.

16 Replies to some of my contortion pics

re: some of my contortion pics
By hhiippiiggiirrll
On Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:57 PM
hey your that one girl who has only been doing it a couple months...wow those pics are really cool...how close are you to the things the people are doing...gt any tips to streching my back..i know i know im very random here...cool pics though
re: some of my contortion pics (karma: 1)
On Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:19 PM
the only picture i'm close to is the one of the two guys in backbends. i have actually posted some stretches in a couple other replies, concerning back stretches, i'll post them again here for you :)i will also include a previous reply i posted concerning a stretching schedule. it has been very helpful. :) i hope these help you :)

i actually know several stretches that are wonderful for increasing back flexibility. i have studied the body mechanics and stretching methods for about 9 years now,and i taught for several years as well. i only began practicing backbending around 3 1/2 months ago, but i applied the knowledge i had to my backbending routine. i am now 4 inches from a headsit. ok, onto the stretches. to help with mid to upper back and shoulder flexibility, stand about a foot and a half away from a wall(facing it)and place your hands on the wall just a little above shoulder level. then slowly bend at the waist and arch your back, moving your chest towards the wall. your goal is to put your chest completely on the wall. if you are not able to, just move your hands a little higher up the wll,this will make it easier. once you can get your chest to the wall, just move your hands a little down the wall to increase the stretch there is also the traditional yoga stretch called the cobra. you lie on your stomach place your hands next to your shoulders and slowly push up arching your back, tilting your head back, and straightening your arms. this is a very basic, but beneficial stretch. to strengthen your back, you can do the cat stretch. this is another basic exercise, but helpful. get on your hands and knees slowly arch your back and tilt your head back. tighten your back muscles to increase the arch. then slowly round out your back, and put your chin to your chest. this relieves any built up pressure in the spine. any time you do a few backbends, you should always do a couple frontbends. this increases the bloodflow and helps prevent injury. i hope these help. let me know how you do. if you want any others, feel free to email me.
i have found that to get the best results, you shouldn't stretch every day, but you shouldn't rest every other day either. the routine that i have found to work best with 90% of the people i trained is to do a 7 day routine. day 1 you do just a few stretches. nothing extreme, and nothing the really gives you a good stretch. day 2 you do the sameamount of stretches, but do each one a little bit further and get a little more of a stretch. day 3 you do more stretches, each one to the point where you feel a really good stretch.(never go till you feel pain,just until you feel a really good stretch)day 4 you do just a few stretches that focus on the area you really want to improve, and really push those stretches to your limit. day 5 you rest, don't stretch at all. day 6 you do a few stretches, and push all of them to your limit.then day 7 you rest completely again. i recommend that on day seven you soak in a warm bath and add 1 cup of salt. i have seen the rusults of this routine and they were amazing.

mel. :)
By Emma16
On Wed Jan 15, 2003 01:03 PM
Wow, Im not even gonna think about all the hours of stretching and pain these people have gone through to get into these positions. There amazing thanks for sharing.
Emma
On Wed Jan 15, 2003 01:10 PM
yes, it's amazing, AND is a LOT of work!LOL! you got that right! proffessional contortionists train anywhere from 3-9 hours every DAY!! can you believe that!! i mean, it has amazing results, but i am definately too lazy to work THAT much,lol!!

mel.
By tapcat601
On Wed Jan 15, 2003 06:50 PM
i personley am amased you can do that i can tuch my toes?
By gymnast
On Thu Jan 16, 2003 02:38 AM
i like the one in green!
By huilinglee
On Thu Jan 16, 2003 03:09 AM
I've heard of ruby ring. SHe's very famous in contortion isn't she?
FOr me...I mean contortion is nice and all but their over extreme flexibility is a bit nauseating sometimes. It's like...ugh...weird. But a beautiful art nonetheless. :D Cool. But erm...am not gonna look anymore.

p/s you know what, I used to like contortion last time. I'll see if I still got 'em. Maybe i'll send it to you then! ;)
By Lizzie3
On Sat Jan 18, 2003 06:07 AM
unreal, i love the middle one on the bottom row, wow these guys are amazing!

lizzie
By happy_lil_dancer
On Sat Jan 18, 2003 07:56 AM
wow there so kool i luv it!!!!
By Bella_rina
On Mon Jan 20, 2003 02:18 AM
omg thats scary. i wish i waz flexible!!! damn my unstreachy legs!!!
By lylsurfprincess
On Fri Mar 07, 2003 08:10 PM
i kno this is a wierd question but are there actual classes or sumthing u take to become a contortionest?
By huilinglee
On Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:08 PM
I think there are somewhere in US. Semi should know I think..
By surrao
On Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:20 PM
contortion is taught in the US mainly in New York and California(San Francisco to be exact) and so far there is one small school in Texas which happens to be mine :)
I hope this helped you
Surrao
By dancie
On Sat Mar 08, 2003 03:17 PM
those pix are soo interesting..i wanna do that **throws confetti**
By rg_chic_4eva
On Sat Mar 08, 2003 05:15 PM
Wow
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 08, 2003 05:20 PM
Thats just amazing, it's like no matter how many times you see it is still unbelivable. They must work soo hard and determent! (and you too, btw :) )
I just hope they dont hurt their joints too bad!
Thank you for sharing, and your advice. :)

ReplySendWatch