Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

the "love handles"
By TwinkleToez15
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 03:13 PM

ok i don't think im fat, i just need to tone up. and one area that i definitely need to target is the dreaded love handles. sometimes when i wear jeans i get the notorious "muffin top look" which really bothers me..

Does anyone have any exercises that target that area?

sick of the handles,
--rita

10 Replies to the "love handles"

re: the "love handles"
By DancerGirl_08
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 08:44 PM
Well, I have two solutions for you...

This one is a quick, instant fix and will make that "muffin top look" dissapear like that.... Buy a larger pants size. I know, it's not nice, and no one likes hearing it, but the fact of the matter is, part of the reason you have that "muffin top" in the first place is because the waistband of your jeans/pants is too tight. It squeezes against your skin, which then, when it doesn't have any other place to go, is forced to hang out over the top of your jeans.

Now, the second solution, while not an quick and instant fix, will help to shrink your love handles over time...

But, the first thing you need to know, is that you can't spot reduce. It just isn't going to happen. There is no miracle exercise that will get rid of your love handles. The only way to get rid of them is to reduce your overall body fat. You can do that by doing lots of cardio (running, jogging, brisk walking, jump roping, ect.) and by eating a healthy balanced diet that is high in proteins and low in carbs.

~*EmilyRose*~
By tapcutie93
On Sat Aug 12, 2006 09:45 PM
Some people never get rid of lovehandles. I have them, but they don't hang over.

~tapcutie93
By pimpinballerina
On Mon Aug 21, 2006 03:39 PM
i have love handles and my solution is buying a bigger pant size and wear loose shirts instead of super tight and it still looks cute. i never buy clothes to tight.
By balletcutie07
On Sat Sep 23, 2006 05:12 PM
I agree, if you buy a bigger pants size they go away.
By Amandamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 15, 2006 04:30 PM
thats not entirely true.. its possible to have excess fat/flab around your waist, hip region which a person can hate, and of course when you have clothes on you get muffin top.. but that just highlights it, hiding it with loose tops and bigger trousers doesnt help you to get rid of it... do lots of cardio, lots of crunches and lots of weight bearing exercises... and eat well - lower fat, lower salt and no fizzy drinks..
By lauren503
On Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:12 PM
Buying a larger size of pants isn't necessarily going to help target your problem. Sometimes, you buy a larger pair of pants, and it fits terribly everywhere on your body except the waist. I've bought jeans that are a larger size, but that doesn't always help get rid of the problem of lovehandles.

Obviously, you know you're not fat, so that saves me from giving a lecture. Thank you!

Anyway, on to the advice. The poster above who said that spot reducing isn't going to get rid of your love handles is right. You should do cardio and strength training for all parts of your body... your body will start burning fat around your love handles when it's ready to. BUT... there are some exercises you could do that won't necessarily get rid of the flab, but they will probably help you build muscle in that area. Pilates is great because it targets your core, and I'm sure yoga would help you out, too. You don't have to do both... personally, I would probably choose pilates if your main goal was to tone your body.

Also, there is this one exercise we used to do in PE.. I think it's called the windmill. You stand with your legs spread out hip distance or even a little further. Spread your arms out so it looks like you are reaching to eather side of you. Now bend down and touch your left foot with your right hand, come up, and switch, touching your right foot with your left hand. Continue for maybe 10-15 reps (on each side). Remember, don't rely on just one exercise. Combine it with cardio and eating well.

Good luck!
By Missdanciamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:25 PM
You could do pilates!! They are very good for "love handles"! Cycling movements are especially good, and side to side movements with the legs while leaning on your albows does a remarcable change!! The most important thing is not to stress, did you know that stresshormones produses fat, the kind of fat that lies around our bellies? So, do some yoga, eat fibres and go for a walk two times a week, and just take care of your self!!
By dancedolly10
On Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:15 PM
I agree pilates works wonders with love handles! I agree though, some people never get rid of them. But you can always tone them up. :)
By Saskia_
On Mon Jan 01, 2007 04:44 PM
I have the same problem. Im not that big everywhere else, but the love handles are difficult to shift if they are apart of your "natural body shape" as they seem to be with mine!
By danzinchyk416
On Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 AM
I can totally relate to you! I hate me "love handles." I've tried everythign to get rid of them. The only thing I've found to work even the slightest bit is just to do cardio. It works slowly, but surely.
-Katrina

ReplySendWatch