Popular Owners

1st Year Enrollment by danceislife4
I will be opening my studio this fall in a small town of about 4,500 people. There are no studios in...

Forum: Ballet / Costumes

Costumes
Need info/pattern to make my own tutu bag en>fr fr>en
By LaSylphide Comments: 188, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Tue Aug 08, 2006 06:35 PM

Okay so here's the deal. I'm in "desperate" need of a tutu bag to hold my new practice tutu. However, anything that I have looked at in dance stores/online is too big for my tutu or is meant to hold more than one tutu. I only want to hold (somewhat snugly) one tutu with a diameter of about 90 cm.

Given this dilemma, I am prepared to attempt to sew my own tutu bag on a sewing machine. Does anyone have a pattern for this type of thing?? Any tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has any suggestions towards an already existent tutu bag that they think would fit my specific needs that would be great!

Thanks in advance. :)

6 Replies to Need info/pattern to make my own tutu bag

re: Need info/pattern to make my own tutu bag en>fr fr>en
By dancingqueen9890 Comments: 97, member since Mon Apr 10, 2006
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 09:18 AM
i'm pretty sure discount dance supply has something

www.discountdance.com . . .

i'm not sure if you'll find something that is the perfect size
By dancingqueen9890 Comments: 97, member since Mon Apr 10, 2006
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 09:19 AM
i'm pretty sure discount dance supply has something

www.discountdance.com . . .

i'm not sure if you'll find something that is the perfect size
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12093, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sat Aug 12, 2006 06:18 AM
My mum made one for me - if you've ever made a bag, it was a bit like that (two massive circles, and two rectangular strips. One allows for a CF seam, that's where you put your zip ;) ).
re: Need info/pattern to make my own tutu bag (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By silvery_starsPremium member Comments: 1934, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 05:25 PM
Measure your tutu diameter and circumference. Tape together a bunch of newspapers to get a big enough piece of paper, and cut out a circle to match the size PLUS some extra around the edge for the seam allowance (American patterns always have 5/8 inch seam allowances, conveniently the width of a measuring tape. You will cut out two such circles from nylon fabric. In addition, measure and cut a strip of paper (and later fabric) that will go around the circumference of the main circle, again with an additional seam allowance on all sides. Get either a very long zipper or (easier) snap tape. Velcro also works, but it tends to catch on delicate fabric and tights! This website has some good instructions for zipper installation.

When the fabric is all cut out, take your strip and sew the short ends together to make a big loop. Pin this to the edge of one of the circles. This will be a challenge, but stick with it and make sure it's even. Sew around this. You may have to cut notches in the seam to make the circle more comfortable. When this is done, attach the zipper where you want it. Then, as before, pin and attach the other circle. Voila!

I might mention that these instructions are just off the top of my head. I STRONGLY suggest trying it first on old fabric. Worn-out bedsheets works just fine. After you work out all the kinks with the bedsheets, and maybe add some pockets or handles, you can have a go at the nice fabric. In addition, I suggest going to the library and digging up some sewing books. Many people have written books specifically about sewing bags! Good luck!
By auntam Comments: 29, member since Tue Apr 05, 2005
On Mon Aug 21, 2006 05:02 PM
Tutu.com has a tutu bag pattern, if you don't want to draft your own.
By downunder_dance Comments: 1, member since Mon Sep 11, 2006
On Tue Sep 12, 2006 02:27 AM
I was wondering if you've found a tutu bag yet (or made one). I have just started making and selling bags for single tutus. They are made from clear, durable 200um plastic, with a double zip opening that goes half way around the bag. There's a strap that you 'thread' through the crotch, which is what you also hang the bag up with - this keeps the tutu centred in the bag so no crushing of the edges of the net.
Let me know if you'd like any more info.

ReplySendWatchDraw