Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Surviving Your First Major
By boho_reel_grrlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 291, member since Tue Sep 23, 2008
On Tue Sep 23, 2008 09:46 AM
This is great advice! I wish someone had told me this before my first Oireachtas...
I didn't know about the heavy- shoe round thingy, great to know.
Also some other things for dancers to consider:
Take care of yourself. Get good sleep the week before, keep hydrated,and avoid fried foods!(Oh onion rings...)
Make sure you know what speed your set dance is. There's nothing worse than getting up onstage and realizing the music is too fast.
S-t-r-e-c-h-! and warm up before the day starts.
Thanks again, luv!
By irishdance10 Comments: 71, member since Thu Dec 14, 2006
On Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:52 PM
I love this post its such great advice its very nicely planned out and will help me bunches!!! Thanks so much. Hope EVERYONE does well at all their major competitions! :D ~Kay
By justthedriver Comments: 47, member since Tue Mar 24, 2009
On Thu Jun 25, 2009 08:57 AM
great observations
By irishsetter Comments: 58, member since Tue May 06, 2008
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, Lucy. The Midwest Oireachtas was our first major and it was loads of fun for our dancer--being prepared helped out a lot.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Thu Mar 11, 2010 02:45 PM
wow- i was just browsing through, thinking about the oireachtas (which is many moons away it seems) and wondering what should i do to prepare cause even though this will be my first major, i want to make it count for something (hopefully recall? lol)
this really helped!
i got a bit nervous just readng this and envisioning myself in this giant ballroom with elevated stages, and A LOT of dancers!

great great post, so glad its a sticky!
By ghillie317 Comments: 67, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Mar 24, 2010 08:07 AM
I was also just taking a walk through dance,net posts, excited for the girls going to Worlds, wishing I was one, thinking about Nationals (agonizing about whether or not to go), and I happened upon this!

Wonderful advice. . . it is really nice to hear the"human side" of competition. Especially when it seems like the winning people are so. . . put-together and solid. Those people really have their dancing/brain in order, so it is nice to hear that they have a routine to help them. . . a routine we could all benefit from!
By dancing_rokker Comments: 20, member since Wed Apr 07, 2010
On Wed Apr 07, 2010 09:57 PM
Thanks Lucy!
At my last competition, my teacher told me that I would be competing in my countries National Championship!
I was so happy to be chosen, but so freaked ut at the same time.
By dancing_rokker Comments: 20, member since Wed Apr 07, 2010
On Wed Apr 07, 2010 09:58 PM
Thanks Lucy!
At my last competition, my teacher told me that I would be competing in my countries National Championship!
I was so happy to be chosen, but so freaked ut at the same time.
By IDboi333 Comments: 2, member since Thu Aug 19, 2010
On Thu Aug 19, 2010 02:38 PM
Good advice, Walk onto the stage with confidence of a World Champion and you will be the one that catches the judges eye, even if you dont have the newest trendy dress or vest. Give it your all and push through the couple of minute. Im sure anyone can recall with the attitude of being a champion and giving it 110%!
By Dollyd Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 22, 2010
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:00 PM
this is very helpful. thank you
By Dollyd Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 22, 2010
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:02 PM
Thank you this information is very helpful as it's hard to know what to expect for first majors
By roz275member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 187, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Sat Nov 27, 2010 02:13 PM
That was super helpful!! BTW is it normal to be nervous 3 weeks before Oireachtas? Now it is less than a week... and I am really nervous!!!
By slipjigger4 Comments: 48, member since Sun Feb 06, 2011
On Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 PM
roz275 wrote:

That was super helpful!! BTW is it normal to be nervous 3 weeks before Oireachtas? Now it is less than a week... and I am really nervous!!!

I am always nervous for Oireachtas even months before. The nerves are only good if you can control them and use them as energy. I find that a lot of the time I doubt my ability to do my very best, especially for hard shoe, (for some reason me and hard-shoe have a love-hate relationship...) the second you start doubting yourself, you need to make an about turn and readjust your outlook on the competition. You have trained as hard as you can, and now it is up to the dance-Gods. (and the judges..)
By tgc Comments: 22, member since Tue Sep 13, 2011
On Sat Sep 24, 2011 07:45 AM
Thanks for the interesting view on Championships level. It will help my girls see the big picture.
By Angelekenna Comments: 20, member since Mon Nov 14, 2011
On Sat Nov 19, 2011 01:05 PM
This is an awesome post!! I've done 3O's, 2NANs, and I'm off to worlds 2012. I find that if I'm backstage wishing I'd practiced more, I don't do well. Just put it out of your mind and concentrate on your best things! (like crossing etc) . If you have trouble with something, chances are, backstage is too late to do anything about it. Just try and remember to do it while you're on the stage!
By dub Comments: 31, member since Wed Sep 14, 2011
On Wed May 02, 2012 06:14 PM
just found your post tonight and it is so good i am going to show it to my daughter as she is doing her first major this year
By BobMeredith Comments: 37, member since Thu Jan 12, 2012
On Sat May 05, 2012 12:24 PM
Lots of good advice here - but of course everyone's first major experience will be different.

Take the time to get to know the venue before you dance, so things are familiar and you don't feel rushed.

Talk to your teacher about realistic goals, and stick to your routine. Don't go changing - What works for you at the regular feis will work at a major.
By mydayjob Comments: 38, member since Tue Sep 28, 2010
On Sat Jun 23, 2012 06:04 PM
i love that you find you can enjoy the soft shoe round....my daughter is the exact opposite. she enjoys the hard shoe the most!! thanks for this.
By pdxmom Comments: 22, member since Fri Feb 19, 2010
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:29 AM
Lot's of very good advice. Don't just practice long, practice well. Don't just put in time practicing, make sure that your form is correct as you practice. No shortcuts. If you are working on turnout, make sure your arms are good as well.
By dancer_girl4192 Comments: 42, member since Tue Apr 09, 2013
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:06 PM
Great post and advice! Thanks!
By dancer_girl4192 Comments: 42, member since Tue Apr 09, 2013
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 09:09 PM
Great post and advice! Thanks!
By marie26 Comments: 22, member since Tue May 14, 2013
On Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 PM
This is so helpful! It is good to use at any major or just a local feis.
By amatob4 Comments: 25, member since Sat Apr 21, 2007
On Sat Jul 13, 2013 08:54 AM
This is a fantastic post! I think the best point is that you cannot dwell on what's been done; move on to the next with a greater determination. Well done!
By mabsmom Comments: 26, member since Fri Oct 12, 2012
On Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 AM
Wow...lots of great information. This will be very helpful and will share with friends with new dancers!
By tinydancer1988 Comments: 125, member since Mon Oct 21, 2013
On Thu Nov 14, 2013 03:13 PM
So... fun story. I've literally been going to the Oireachtas since 1999, and I have never recalled. I've always been injured or, like when I was in high school, I had a crapload of things to prep for in November, and didn't dance as much as I should have.

So I'm really old hat when it comes to the first two rounds, but after the recalls get announced, I have never had a reason to stay.

What happens after recalls?

I know that they have the rotation for the dancers posted, and you dance your solo set round. Then what? I hear that you have to wait a long time.

Do they have the screen with all of the scores like they do on Jig? Or is that just a worlds thing?

Do they announce the worlds qualifiers with everyone on stage? So is everyone that recalled all on stage at the same time?

Does every single person who recalls get announced in order of placement? Or do they just kind of hand out medals? Do they count down from the last place to first? Are the results in the same room that you danced in, or do they have a special room for them? How do you know what time they are going to be at?? (heaven forbid I miss them)When do they have the parade of champions?

I've been busting my butt and I think I have a shot this year, so I'm just nervous that I'm going to look like an idiot if I don't know what to expect.

I'm mid-atlantic region, btw.

Thanks in advance.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch