Forum: Gym / Gym Photos - Misc

Why do they do this?
By dancergirl10588member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 09, 2006 04:41 PM

I've noticed that a lot of gymnasts crunch their toes in a routine and stand on their knuckles. Ahh! This makes me shudder. It's mostly the younger gymnasts from what I've seen. What is the point of this--is it required in the routines? I certainly don't see why it's any better than a beautiful high releve we're used to seeing.

Image hotlink - 'http://www.moore-rhythmic.com/images/LJ1I5953.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.moore-rhythmic.com/images/LJ1I4750.jpg'

Also, hate to start another "sickly thin" debate, but does anyone agree that this gymnast looks a little bony? How does one have enough adrenaline to do an entire routine with such a body?
Image hotlink - 'http://www.moore-rhythmic.com/images/LJ1I5840.jpg'

13 Replies to Why do they do this?

re: Why do they do this?
By xcelticcurlsx
On Thu Aug 10, 2006 02:28 AM
i agree the one in the red looks like she could snap at any moment lol i dont know how she stands up
By gymfanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:55 AM
you forget some people are just born thin
By AnjieAngel
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 03:21 PM
Crunching of toes - to give an illusion of a beautiful arch.
Standing on crunched toes - because it seems more difficult (and hurts like ****)

About the last girl - she doesn't seem very old, does she? Young gymnasts and dancers are usually very thin because they train much and grow at the same time - besides the growth is somehow limited in periods of tough training.
By dancergirl10588member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 01:17 PM
^thanks so much AnjieAngel. I tried to give you karma but forgot you couldn't give it in this section.
By BallerinaBabe_member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 08:46 PM
heyhey. I think the crunching of the toes is an overcast of Artistic gymnastics. We do the whole balance-on-knuckes on the beam, cause it is kindof tricky. Perhaps, rhythmic is the same? Just thought i would contribute..

Babz
By horseygymnastmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 09:41 PM
that's creepy. especially the last girl. they scare me a bit
By luvtwirlin
On Mon Aug 21, 2006 03:53 AM
Yea that toe crunching thing looks so painfull!! That girl in the red looks to thin, i don't like seeing girls looking like that!!
By waaaaaaaaaaa
On Wed Aug 23, 2006 09:03 PM
They usually give you more points when you stand on your knuckles, but it annoys me when the beauty of a routine is sacrificed for points and technical difficulty. all those rules just drive me crazy sometimes! isn't rg supposed to be about combining grace with power?
By AnjieAngel
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 02:41 AM
No, they don't give you points for standing on your knuckles, at least not in RG. That's not stated anywhere in the COP.

However, there are total body waves were you either go up or down ovetr your toes, but then you need to use your entire arch, not just you knuckles, and that's a different technique.

The last girl is not extremely thin - she's just very young, has that kind of body and the position she's in makes her look taller.
By birthdaycake
On Tue Aug 29, 2006 07:53 PM
Edited by birthdaycake (114950) on 2006-08-29 20:02:49
Edited by birthdaycake (114950) on 2006-08-29 20:11:17
Edited by birthdaycake (114950) on 2006-08-29 20:29:22
i think gymnasts stand on their toes because we don't view it as a horribly wrong thing to do like dancers.

As far as the horribly skinny comment goes i think that girl looks great. she is thin, I mean what do you expect a young girl to look like when she trains long hours in the gym, plus some people just happen to be skinnier than others. I think what you don't realize is that it takes a massive amount of work to be an elite gymnast. With the hours spent at the gym and a naturally thin body a gymnast can't really look much different. Especially at such a young age as it was mentioned.
By twirlerlaura
On Sun Sep 03, 2006 08:46 AM
wow these pictures are fantastic i wish i was that flexible!!! i will have to start doing my streches. laura
Why do they do this?
By ArielThomas
On Tue Sep 05, 2006 07:32 AM
wow nice pics that jump is very nice.
Why do they do this?
By ambergirl
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 01:49 PM
that photos are really amazing! :)
from my experience i can say that moving most on your toetips during your routine is very difficult and it takes much both efforts and concern.but if gymnastic during all routine move on her full treads, her performance will not be so beatiful...

ReplySendWatch Draw