Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Slick floor at competitions
By carrieann
On Mon Aug 14, 2006 08:45 AM

Can anyone give me some advice for making my tap shoes have more grip on slick floors with out sacrificing sound quality?

14 Replies to Slick floor at competitions

re: Slick floor at competitions
By dancingbeth
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 03:14 PM
My dance teacher always says that it doesn't matter how slippy the floor is or the shoes you are wearing, if you have your weight correctly over and you have a strong core you should have no problems to tap on any floor.
By tappingangel
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 04:35 PM
^true statement. However, even if you are doing it correctly, there are still times when it's going to be slippery.

There are a few things you can do. One, put a couple layers of hairspray on your tap shoes. Two, pour some sprite onto the ground so it forms a puddle, then push your taps into it and let it dry. Another thing is to do a couple wings on the sidewalk (rough concrete) and then some forward shuffles on it as well. Be sure to be careful doing this...it's an extreme measure, just like slamming your pointe shoes in a door, so take EXTREME caution..too much will hurt your shoe.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

~baby rok
By dixietessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 17, 2006 02:44 AM
ballerinadippy will swear by putting injury strapping tape over the ball of your foot (not the tap).. and she says the glue seeps through just enough to make it sticky and help.. or maybe it was duct tape :S.. ill ask her
By ekdance
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:15 PM
A good idea is to bring your own rosin there. This way you can put it on your shoes before you dance and not slip on the stage.
re: Slick floor at competitions (karma: 1)
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:33 PM
^^ Rosin actually sounds like a much better bet than using what I've used for years, but which has helped me big time. Make yourself four small rectangles of duct tape, place these on your the soles and heels of your taps, and your grip should be better.

The problem -- getting the duct tape off when you are going to dance on a surface that isn't as slick.

I've found use of duct tape in this manner quite pleasing in preventing dangerous falls. In fact, I keep a roll of it in my dance bag, along with scissors, in case anyone needs it. Of course, if any PVC pipe springs a leak, suddenly you are the most important person there. ;)

S.
By dancingtilldeath
On Mon Sep 25, 2006 05:11 PM
I've always used the hairspray or sprite, but if their brand new taps and the floor is very slippery than I'll scuff them up first.
By ExtremeAPA
On Thu Nov 23, 2006 08:53 AM
I wouldn't ever put anything on the taps because it can damage them. I tell my students that they should have their weight placed properly and there shouldn't be a problem. Also, I tell them to tap harder and louder, which they should do anyways, but this can prevent them from falling. I have competed in tap solos forever on every kind of stage possible, so I understand the scariness of slippery floors, but really, the harder you pound your feet the better off they will be.
By lil_miss_dancer1
On Sat Nov 25, 2006 07:46 PM
i always put hairspary on my taps if the stage is slippery, but my friend takes duck tape and puts a strip over both taps the day before the show and then take it off right before you go on and she says it makes them stick and make better sounds and she does this every year and swears by it so i should work
*Kathryn
GOOD LUCK
By BlondieBunch2000
On Fri Dec 01, 2006 03:36 PM
My teacher will tell you that if you center your weight. Then pull up from the center you won't fall. But I'm here to tell you that that dowsn't work especially when you're dealing with nerves. So use the clogging trick(yes i've done tap also) Put duct tape on the tams and you won't fall. then you can wear it off or peel it off when your done. BUT IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE DANCE AT THE COMPETITION RE-TAPE THE SHOES!!!! Because it won't stay grabby, it can peel and catch on the floor, come off and trip you and somebody else. All kinds of things that would be forse than sliding arround a little.
By blondie13126
On Mon Dec 04, 2006 05:30 PM
spray hair spray on your grips, works everytime for me
By Dancinchic522
On Tue Dec 05, 2006 05:53 PM
you can get special grips that you stick on the ball of your shoe (below the tap... obviously) and you can peel them off when you're done and throw them awya, or keep them on till they're worn out. you can find them at a regular drug store
By xoDEdancaox
On Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 PM
hairspray helps a lot when you dont want to fall ! :)
By njdancer627
On Mon Dec 11, 2006 07:06 PM
Bloch just came out with a new oxford tap shoe RESPECT! they have a non-slip sole built into them. It works better than rosin or hairspray.(believe i had tried everything I HATE SLIPPERY FLOORS) I was lucky enough to test them out last year because my dance teacher's brother was working on designing the shoe. let's just say i didnt slip once last year
By LasDance
On Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 PM
rosin can be ok but sometimes its too much.. a strip of duct tape on the ball of your foot.. but not the tap and a small square in the middle of the heel tap..works really well

ReplySendWatch