Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Advice / Guys Only

Guys Only
Can you start dancing in your late teens? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By infrared87 Comments: 1, member since Wed Aug 16, 2006
On Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:29 PM

Hi, everyone. I'm 18 yrs old (19 in November), and though I've been wanting to dance for a while, I couldn't because I was a seriously overweight kid. I've lost all that weight now, and I'd like to finally start dancing like I've always wanted to. But, I'm worrying that it's too late. I probably won't make a career out of it - I just want to dance for fun. Do you think I can start dancing now and, assuming I'm actually decent at dance, I'll be able to become a good dancer later down the road? I'm really interested in jazz, but a friend of mine recommended that I start with ballet. Oh, another thing, if I start dancing, will I be in a class with kids about half my age? That might be a shock for my ego. Haha. So, any advice would be really appreciated. And nice to meet you all!

15 Replies to Can you start dancing in your late teens?

never too late (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By ad_enpointe Comments: 30, member since Sun Aug 06, 2006
On Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:39 PM
it's never too late to start taking classes. i started taking classes seriously like when i was 17.
you wont really start with kids half your age (i think), go find a studio which offers drop-in classes, so as you dont have to go take classes with kids. :)
just keep it up & always be positive & willing to learn.
re: Can you start dancing in your late teens? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By sinanozelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 182, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 09:34 AM
It is never too late to start dancing.

My advice is that you start with whatever dance you fancy. Usually, what you enjoy best is the best starting point. There are Jazz and even Ballet classes for people your age, and even for older people; a dancer friend of mine started ballet when she was 24.

So, look for a class with your age group, you'll find one I am sure, and go for the type of dance that you really fancy.
re: Can you start dancing in your late teens? (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By luv2plie Comments: 1880, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:09 AM
I would recommend startinbg up with ballet! Ballet is the foundation of MOST dance including jazz! I would recommend you taking an adult ballet class. You can also try a Teen ballet class! I am sure they will support you since you are a male. Being a male in a ballet class is like GOLD!

You can start ballet at any age. Please do not let age get in your way. I started balelt at the age of 23. I am now 38. I take 10 ballet classes a week and I do it all for fun.I also started performing a few years ago.I am not the greatest dancer but I can carry my own weight.

Go for it and I wish you the best. Follow your heart!

If you have any questions Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Kev
re: Can you start dancing in your late teens? en>fr fr>en
By jp_tantsiurystmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 310, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:17 AM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2010-08-31 12:04:31 Profanity is not allowed.
dude, 19 is definitely not too late. i always get pissed the meatballs who say you have to start when you're 4 to be worth anything. I started really when i was 13, an' i've never looked back!
By leejay Comments: 450, member since Sun Jan 15, 2006
On Tue Sep 19, 2006 03:49 AM
hi#
just go for it i know loads of lads that started dance in there late teens and are now brill

leejay
By snoopdancer Comments: 21, member since Sat Sep 23, 2006
On Sat Sep 23, 2006 08:35 PM
hey no its not too late to start dancin i dont think its ever too late to start dancing i think u can start at any age if u are persuing it as a hobby.i think u should start with the class you most enjoy and then look forward to more challenging classes such as ballet and modern if you want and it will give you more self confidence in yourself.
hope i've been a help
ben
By FallingBreakdown Comments: 18, member since Tue Sep 26, 2006
On Tue Sep 26, 2006 05:56 PM
I started to take dance over the summer. I am currently fourteen and have realized that it is good to start at a young age but when you are older you sometimes tend to pick up dance quicker. Like I have learned things over the two months that I have been dancing that people wait one or even two years to learn.
By Andres_00 Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 05, 2006
On Mon Oct 09, 2006 02:32 PM
sure u can.. i was 19 when i startet too dance.. its never to late..
By Brazil Comments: 230, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Sun Oct 22, 2006 02:33 PM
Just to repeat what everyone one else has already said: no, it is not too late for you to start!

However, do not be sruprised if you are placed in a class with people who are a lot younger that you. This happened to me, and it isnt too fun.

~Brazil
By DancingDude89 Comments: 70, member since Tue Oct 17, 2006
On Wed Oct 25, 2006 09:51 AM
Edited by DancingDude89 (168653) on 2006-10-25 09:52:23
hey
your not too old to start dancing,
i started dancing about 3 weeks ago and im 17.
you may be placed in class with alot of younger people in though, but where i dance theres alot of people my age aswell.
By steve90 Comments: 20, member since Fri Oct 13, 2006
On Thu Nov 02, 2006 05:28 PM
I agree, ballet is the place to start. Just find an adult or 16 and over class. Awkward otherwise.
By dannyfeelgood Comments: 20, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 04:24 AM
hi , just read your post and i feel old already, i didnt start until i was 21, joined springs dance company after going to a cpl of classes, we did ballet tap and jazz, but being the oldest in the class and extremely new to this i felt very intimidated. i ended up joining a dance college in glasgow for a year. very intensive but again one of the best thing i ever did. 6 months later i ended up do comedy dance acts for a chain of club and have been performing for 20 years in clubs all over the world . am dram theatre, in glasgow , edinburgh and now sunny shropshire.

what ever you do, get insurance to cover injuries, so far torn calf muscle, ripped miniscus (keyhole surgery) and torn tendon and a pin in my ankle, lost several thousands pounds in income ,months of physio and a great blow to confidence, i as you think you might never dance again

its hard work, but its way of life and hats off to everyone that starts on the path

have fun Danny
good question en>fr fr>en
By blkdancer Comments: 19, member since Sat Jan 28, 2006
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:43 PM
ive been wondering that too. im not overweight but i havnt been able to start taking ballet because my mom is a huge homophobe and she wont let me so i half to wait another year and a half to get out of the house and start on my own. im 16 now so about 18 i might b able to start
By dannyfeelgood Comments: 20, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:59 PM
here a very minor point, but you dont have to be gay to dance. happily hetro, married and cpl of kids as well.

ps does she think sammy davies jnr is gay? fred astaire? the nicolas brothers, patrick swayze? even if they are, its you going to dance class, not her?

maybe not the forum for this but have done drag,stripped all over the world and a succesful entertainer, and yes stil straight

rock n rock , ceroc, salsa, podium, jazz, contemporary and hundreds of different styles are out there. just go and find them
By Ealainmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 997, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Mon Nov 13, 2006 02:39 AM
^^^ That's true. Even though I'm gay, a lot of guys I know who dance are straight with perfectly happy girlfriends.

I just started Irish dancing this year, at the beginning of June, and I was (and still am) 16. So of course you can start in your late teens! The good thing is that if you start at this time, you'll have better capabilities to learn whole routines and dances in short amounts of time, whereas some of the younger dancers might take once, twice, or thrice as long as you.

:]

ReplySendWatch