Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Dance team vs cheerleaders
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:49 AM

Is there a rivalry between your HS dance team and your cheerleaders?

Tell us about it.

18 Replies to Dance team vs cheerleaders

re: Dance team vs cheerleaders
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 03:42 PM
Hmmm...a bit. The cheerleaders as a whole (I'm not making this up because of a stereotype, I promise) at my school are *a word I can't say on DDN* They are the meanest people in our school without a doubt. They are catty, think themselves to be superior, just walk around with a scowl on their face, etc.

So I don't like the cheerleaders at my school on a personal level.

And our dance team is not a big fan of them either, but for justifiable reasons that have nothing to do with them being cheerleaders. Firstly, on the personal note I mentioned above, and also, ebcause at school we share a room to hold all of our stuff.

So there are like cabinets that hold papers, and racks and racks of costumes, uniforms, etc. Boxes of poms, left over funraising stuff, etc.

Well, the dance team tries its hardest to clean our stuff cleaned up and organized. All of our stuff is neatly arranged on the racks or in labeled boxes.

The cheerleaders have another story. While most of their uniforms are hung up nicely, NOTHING else is. There are always little megaphones strewn over the floor, poms laying out, old jackets laying on top of OUR neatly organized stuff.

Worse yet, they leave food in their all the time and there have always been mice in the closet. I mean, there has been a brownie pan with brownie crumbs in there from them for the last two years. EW! It's like a feast for mice in there. And we want to get rid of the mice so they don't chew holes in or poop on our stuff. But with the cheerleaders food in there, it's impossible.

And the cheerleaders at my school think they are so fabulous and the entire school loves them, but they don't even cheer. Meanwhile, the dance team gets underappreciated. I'm not even exagerrating that the cheerleaders don't cheer. At games, they have no idea what is going on. My mom sits and laughs at them half the time ebcause they don't pay attention to the game, and just chat with each other. Then a student in the stands starts an impromptu cheer, and then the cheerleaders are like, "Oh look! Cheering! We should join in!" Seriously, they just lean on the walls during the game.

But as I said, this is just at my school. I'm not against cheerleaders as a whole or an activity, it's just that I really don't care for the cheerleaders at my school.
By PooKah
On Mon Aug 21, 2006 01:01 AM
Wow, those cheerleaders dont sound good at all. See I'm both a cheerer and a dancer and our cheer team is really great. We all work together and have fun..and we cheer at our games! But I understand where you are coming from because other cheer teams are just like the one you mentioned.. down right mean! I hope they clean up that brownie tin for you!
PooKah
By Elle_Dancer
On Wed Aug 23, 2006 08:27 AM
Yes, mainly because the Cheer team is made up of catty "popular" people, and the dance team is made up of hard working "normal" people.
By SpunkyMonkey
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 08:41 AM
At my school the cheerleaders are nice but they don't do much for school spirit. When I was a little kid the cheerleaders watched the games...cheered cheers that encouraged the team and the crowd due to the game situations...could dance...Now they only make the team because they are tumblers (why don't they just get on a gymnastics team?)and you can tell they don't really care about cheering, just showing off their stunts and tumbling. That's why I went out for dance team...we've got great skills, great routines, we have school spirit and we really do watch the games! Makes me sad. I had always been a cheerleader but I didn't even try out for the school team even though I've always been good at tumbling and flying. Sorry so long. I'm just a little upset about the direction cheerleading is going in our town. Oh yeah, and there's no rivalry between the dancers and the cheerleaders, we all hang out together at our school.
By butters
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 07:06 PM
Nope. We're all just one big happy family. Partially because we do so much together. For a while we even had the same coach! They eventually got their own, but we kept the ties. We do football signs together, *chant* along with them, and they cheer us on when we dance. We perform our homecoming routine together- it's just a really good situation. We the poms have always been "better" than the cheer, but we still support each other. It's exciting for them when we do well, and and it's exciting for us when they do well. Our school doesn't really have issues with catiness, or stuck up popular people. Everyones just chill. I think it's really immature to have rivalries between two spirit squads. I mean we're the role models, how is everyone else supposed to act if we aren't conducting ourselves within a certain manner?
By butters
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 07:11 PM
But Spunky monkey, if you were so upset about the direction the cheer team was going, why didn't you join and try to move it in the other direction. I know it's not always easy and may not always work, but you can't complain about somthing that you haven't helped try and fix- that's just my take.
By cougardancer
On Fri Sep 01, 2006 05:35 PM
The cheer team at our school likes to push us (dance team) around. After a recent pep rally when we were going to help them roll the mats up they yelled at us because they didn't need help. We stayed in the gym though in case anything came up and they needed us. We were all talking in a group when the captain came up and yelled at us because we weren't helping. And I have no idea what the cheerleaders have been telling their coach because then the cheer coach decided she needed to talk to the dance team about being nicer to the cheerleaders. Some of the cheerleaders are the nicest people EVER but then there are the older girls that like to be mean.
By dancingrl247
On Sat Sep 02, 2006 05:47 PM
ours get along pretty well. most of the girls on both teams are really good friends with each other, and while i don't have any close friends on the cheerleading team, i don't hate them or anything.

same thing goes on at school with our cheerleaders not cheering. i mean they do little chants and everything, but it's nothing that the crowd can actually respond to. dance team kind of has a better reputation than them, b/c they also tend to fall out of all their stunts.
By Kellithmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 02, 2006 08:50 PM
I'm on the dance team at my HS and the cheerleaders like us but we don't like them. Not as individual people, but as a team. They always take all of our ideas and they're allowed to get away with so much more stuff than us (i.e. wearing their skirts which go against the dress code w/o pants underneath, grind with the senior guys in their senior night dance... etc). And they don't know the sideline dances that they're supposed to and we're always getting it perfect. I dunno, that's just my HS though.

Kellith
By dancer_meggs
On Sun Sep 03, 2006 07:39 AM
There's no real rivalry between the teams at my high school. The Dance team is more exclusive and act like they are. Most of them don't make friends with anyone else who's not on the dance team or is not sterotyped already as a prep. The cheerleaders at the high school are a lot nicer and don't turn up their noses at you when you ask them a question.
At the Jr. High i went to last year however that was a big deal between the dancers and cheerleaders, and the cheerers always made fun of us and said that there really should be a dance team because we suck so much.
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 08, 2006 09:13 PM
Not really. Our teams are going through a transistion of new people (and younger). All our coaches are new. The cheer coach she's tough - she's got the discipline that is needed, so that team is progressing at a faster pace. They are doing a lot better than last year discipline wise.

Since there is all this transisting going on - there is more of a flippant attitude within the teams themselves.
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:44 AM
Well...since three of the football cheerleaders are on the Dance Team...not really. I think the cheerleaders work just as hard as the Dance Team does at our school...even though a couple of them are pretty snotty.
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 11, 2006 02:11 PM
I have to say we do have a somewhat rivalry between the cheerleader and ourselves but ours os justified after every pep rally dance or dance on the field when we see the cheeleaders do their dance at a leter date at least 1/ of our moves are in it which is why i think we dont like each other
By love2dance08
On Thu Oct 12, 2006 02:18 PM
yes, there is definately a rivalry at my school between the dancers and cheerers. The cheerleaders like to say that the people on the dance team r the ones that didn't make the cheerleaign sqad.... totally untrue, but sadly thats what they think.
By dancerrr
On Sat Oct 28, 2006 09:24 AM
well, my dance team and cheerleaders have never had a problem before this year, but i think it's because it has sort of grown and grown every year. they've taken our ideas soo many times before. we had like five different ideas of things to do at later pep rallies just this year, but they just happened to do them at the first few. my best friends are on the cheerleading team and i have no problems with them, but as a team, i don't think they respect us. they aren't that rude or so much more popular than the girls on the dance team so that keeps it from escalating, but it's still not great between us.
By katiemarina
On Sat Oct 28, 2006 07:06 PM
There's always been tension between cheerleaders and dancers. Both high school and college. More so in high school though...we would get pissed when they would try to dance, they would get pissed...well, because we were better and had a better reputation =)
In college, it's basically the same thing, but the cheerleaders get mad when we cheer-trust me, we don't really like cheering, but we have to at football games. And they hate our coach because their coaches basically don't do anything and our coach takes over.
As far as actual problems between people, there aren't many. In fact, my roommate right now is a cheerleader =)
By puppies_flyPremium member
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 05:46 PM
In my school, our only dance team is hip hop, and all the students kind of steryotype themselves into groups, and the cheerleading group doesnt overlap with the hip hop group so they never really talk to eachother much. I'm kind of the exception, I'm chatty so I'll talk to anyone, and when I was talking to some girls from the dance team in the hall one day, they were suprised that someone as friendly and unpretensious as me was a cheerleader (granted some of the cheerleaders really do deserve the reputation, but many don't). and when a few of the girls on the cheer swuad saw me in the hall with the dance team, they walked by a little startled... kind of like the first time my music nerd friends saw me chatting with some guys from the football team, haha. so it's not really specifically cheer vs dance, it's just regular teen issues of group identity.
By HollieErin
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 09:12 PM
We all love eachother. I'm sure that some individuals probably don't like eachother for personal reasons, but everyone gets along very well. Both teams cheer for eachother and will attend the other teams competitions when appropriate. University is a little different I suppose.

ReplySendWatch