Forum: Arts / Body Art

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:19 PM
Well, when I had my ears pierced, the piecers just stuck the studs in with a twist, no gun, no needle, the studs went straight in and that was that.

But I don't like guns since once I saw a little girl of about three get "gunned" at a mall and it was pretty awful to see how terrified she was after they did the first ear.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Thu Nov 16, 2006 08:25 PM
I had mine pierced with the disposable guns at Claire's when I was 7. They did get infected, but that was because I didn't take very good care of them afterwards. A little rubbing alcohol, and they were fine. Yes, I would use the guns again.

I definately wouldn't use the non-disposable ones though. That's kind of gross.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun! (karma: 1)
By Hoodster777member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 673, member since Tue Apr 27, 2004
On Thu Dec 21, 2006 09:46 PM
I too had my lobes done with the gun at Claire's, I had mine done when I was 11. They became horribly infected because the piercer used regular jewelery instead of surgical steel and I had an awful allergic reaction to it, and they never healed right. They were uneven and if I didn't wear earrings for a day (dead serious), they would close and I would then re-pierce them myself with an earring (I know, it wasn't the smartest thing to do). I got my lobes re-done last year at a tattoo parlor and the girl did them with a needle and they came out great. She evened them out and used surgical steel hoops so they healed quite well.

So the gun= bad.
By Emmymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2437, member since Fri Sep 30, 2005
On Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:01 AM
This is the first I’ve heard of piercing guns being dangerous… thanks for the heads-up!

I got my ear lobes done with a gun at Claires, and never experienced any kind of infection. However, my two sisters both had infections, and their holes came out crooked. After hearing this information, I’ll never get pierced with a gun again. Great post!
By lipinskifan4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 262, member since Sun Jan 08, 2006
On Mon Jan 15, 2007 04:32 AM
Edited by lipinskifan4eva (149097) on 2007-01-15 04:38:17 remembered some more
Oh. I didnt realise how dangerous there where. Well i live in Australia and everyone that i no has had them done with a gun. I didnt even no that there was an option in the way that they do it. I have had to get my lobes done 3 time because i leave my earings out and they close over. But the first time i got them done they did my right ear not so straight so now i have got 2 holes in my right ear. The last time i got them redone was in october. they didnt get infected them but they hav numerous tmes before.

If i was to get them done again i would consider just using a needle and doing it my self. Because i really dont want to get a disease. lol...

Out of the three times ive had them done i didnt feel any pain at all.except for a little discomfort as it felt like all the blood was rushing to my ear.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 01:55 PM
I got my ears (lobes) pierced at The Icing (a store owned by the same company as Claire's) when I was 12,I am 16 now,and I have had no problems with them whatsoever.They have never become infected,and I've had no problems with them closing up,even when I don't wear earrings for months on end.

If I were to get a second hole in my lobe (which I probably won't considering how infrequently I actually wear earrings),I would definitely go to a piercer though because I have really small earlobes,and I would want to make sure that the holes didn't collide or anything.And for cartilage,I would also never use the gun for fear of infection since those in the cartilage are worse!
By Ayamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3884, member since Mon Jun 16, 2003
On Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30 PM
lipinskifan4eva, piercing your ears yourself is NOT a good idea. Go to a professional shop. There are plenty. Tell me where in Australia you live and I can give reccomendations.

I know most of you have never done statistics, but please understand this: YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE DOES NOT NEGATE A STATISTIC BASED IN FACTS. Great, you're one of the people who didn't get an infection or blow out or cracked cartiledge from a gun! That doesn't make them safe, that means you were the EXCEPTION. People self-select to post, so naturally if you see a post that doesn't apply to you, you reply saying so. That still doesn't make you the majority.

Also, frankly, being taught to use and 'clean' a gun by the people who make them is similar to being told by a dietician working for McDonald's that their food is perfectly healthy.
By NeNe8 Comments: 28, member since Tue Jun 05, 2007
On Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:59 PM
I guess i cant totally agree with you guys since i have never gotten sick from any piercings seeing as i have at least 7 on my face alone and all but the tounge were with a gun. But, i do stray away from the gun now and more and more places are starting to use sterilized needles to prevent from the bacteria spread and viral spread.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 07:17 PM
I'm not even going to touch on what some of you people have said...well, I am but not in detail.

The person the said they used a little rubbing alcohol to help their piercing...rubbing alcohol dries the piercing out and does not allow it to heal faster. But slower.

The person that said they'd use a needle themselves...no. Just no. Not smart.

Facial piercings done with a gun just disturbs me. The jewelry in a gun isn't even meant for facial piercings!

And to all of you that think there is no problem with piercing cartilage with the gun or using the reusable guns (even on your lobes) here's something for ya...

I did a speech on why not to use the piercing gun. It left my audience (my class) in a bit of disgust...and I used this picture and this example. And it might not be that pretty, so I am warning ya...but...

modblog.bmezine.com . . .

YUMMY! Gotta love that piercing gun! (sarcasm)
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Tue Jul 31, 2007 07:47 PM
I'm scared now!

I just got my cartilage pierced yesterday at Claire's. This is freaking me out!
By YoungDandymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 643, member since Tue Jul 31, 2007
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 08:52 AM
I had my lobes pierced with a gun when I was 3 years old. The gun wasn't a single use (well I remember it didnt look exactly new...) and I remember it being extremely painful, like my ear had just been hammered, then a blunt spike had gouged its way through. I lied and told my mum it didnt hurt very much and just smiled, while secretly being in agonising pain (being 3 at the time, it was hardest to hold off the tears) I was lucky that it didnt get infected or anything, and 14 years later, theyre fine. When my little sister had to get hers re-pierced recently, she too had the gun. I did not know of the dangers involved then, but to me the gun looked highly questionable.
Im considering getting my ears pierced a second time, the only thing holding me back is the pain that I can still clearly remember from the first piercings I had with the gun. Now that I know this, ill defiantly try and find a place that uses needles, as many have said they are no where near as painful!
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:33 AM
My sister had her ears (lobes) pierced for a second time a few weeks ago, using a needle, and she said it was a much nicer experience than when she had her first ones done with a gun in Claire's, both pain-wise, and just the general experience - she didn't have a huge audience, for one thing.

The problem is that a lot of people don't realise that Claire's isn't the only place you can get pierced. Nobody knows guns are dangerous, and practically everyone I know with pierced ears (in fact, everyone) had it done with a gun. Myself included.

I'd be interested to know what training those girls have to have before they're allowed to pierce someone. I can't imagine it's very extensive, and I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be terrified to work in Claire's and have to pierce someone.
By uketalimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1037, member since Fri Jun 03, 2005
On Mon Oct 01, 2007 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I had my ears pierced with a gun about 20 years ago. I was so scared they had to do both ears at the same time...one lady with one gun, one with another. It sounded and felt like someone was using a staple gun on my ear. Haven't had any piercings since then. I'm glad good places only use needles now.
By Dark_Lark Comments: 5, member since Thu Nov 01, 2007
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:06 AM
I had my ears pierced twice by a gun. Each were seperate times, but since then I haven't been able to look at those things or look a needles at hospitals when I go for my shots. I now fear those things.
By Ruthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2564, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Sun Nov 11, 2007 09:33 AM
I think all the views on this thread are very interesting!!

Karma for outlining the subject and bringing the safety of people to view.

Ruth :)
By dancing_spazmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 551, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Mon Dec 24, 2007 09:34 PM
I got my ear lobes pierced at a store in the mall with a gun when I was 11. It didn't hurt that bad, but they got really swollen, and one of the studs went inside of my earlobe, and the skin healed over it. It became super infected. Eventually I had to pull it out through the back of my ear, and there was lots of blood, running down my neck actually. Now whenever I wear earrings I can only wear them for like a day, because my ears will become irritated and swell from them. This is 5 years after having the peircings done.
Future peircings will definately be from a needle.
By redbrickdreammember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 386, member since Thu May 19, 2005
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 09:33 AM
I got my lobes pierced with a gun this summer, at an earring stand in a mall when I was in the US (I believe they were part of a chain). They were fine at first but they were still hurting a lot when I got back to the US, so after 4 weeks I took them out. Despite my best efforts to keep them clean, it turns out I'd taken them out just in time because one was bleeding almost constantly and the other was oozing suspiciously.

I put in some plain, normal studs and took them out twice a day to clean my ears properly and luckily this was enough to heel them. I would eventually like to get the second holes and the top of my right ear done, but I will definitely get them done with a needle because of something I heard about the guns shattering cartilidge - I don't know if that's true, but I'm not taking the risk!

The hole in my left ear is a touch lower than the one in my right, but my ears are uneven anyway so when I wear earrings, they're at the same level - what a stroke of luck that was! :P
By oooshinymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1876, member since Wed Dec 12, 2007
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:58 AM
I got both sets of my lobes done at Claire's before I had ever heard about the dangers of using piercing guns. The second holes were little buggers for months and would close up almost instantly even 6 months after I had them done! I just learned about the gun this past year and I'm just thankful nothing went seriously wrong!

Nice informtive post :)
By jenna_dance Comments: 777, member since Thu Sep 20, 2007
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 05:51 PM
I have had so many piercings in my ears! I had 6 lobes piercings - all done with guns. The third and last set were in a tougher area and due to the swelling problems with short studs I felt I had to take them out. They just never healed 100%.

I had no problems with sets 1 and 2... however I had a horrible experience with my upper left ear cartilage. I went to a really good jeweller in Glasgow who had done my lobes number 2 piercing and I was very happy with it. I was only 9 at the time and they used a gun. They pierced me with a 9k Gold earring set with a garnet. It was good quality stuff.

The hole healed, without a hitch, but the swelling had screwed it up and every other earring I put in was drastically uncomfortable. I eventually got a hoop that felt okay, and it was 925 sterling silver (I don't wear cheap stuff in my ears) and when it caught on my hair I had to change back to the original stud.

It ripped on the way in, and my ear burned up. The swelling was terrible and the pain was unbearable. The earring was stuck but my gran used a cotton pad with really hot water and salt on it, held it to my ear and eased the stud out.

She said "Never get that done again, don't play with your ears!"

So I haven't had it done since. I was 11 when I took that stud out. I have other cartilage piercings including my tragus - all done with needles and not a problem since. (as we say in Glasgow) " 'mon the needles!"
By gobbygibbo Comments: 116, member since Tue Aug 21, 2007
On Fri Mar 07, 2008 04:44 AM
personaly I think it depends witch part of the ear it is I had my lobes done with a gone 3 holes in each ear and I was ok with that and they also did my ears at the same time but I think that the top of your ear should be done with a needle because I had mine done with a gun years ago and its still bad now its lumpy and can be painfull at times! Iv also had my tragus done and that was with a needle and its more painfull than getting a tattoo!!
xxx
By Diamante_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 166, member since Sat Jun 09, 2007
On Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 AM
Have to disagree. I have had eight piercings with a gun. I felt no pain. I have no scars. (some of the piercings i had with guns have healed) In my experience, The needle part of the gun is actually detatchable, a new sterile set of gun needles, out of a sealed sterile box are used every time, and all the piercer has to do is take the cover off. No touching involved, so it is clean.
And as for not being accurate, piercings i have had done with a needle are wonky!!! But my gun piercings are perfect!!!!

Bronte
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sun Mar 23, 2008 09:40 PM
^There is no needle part to a gun. The jewelry is your "needle" which is generally really dull, causing more trauma. And sure, people can mess up a piercing with a needle. That's why you go to someone who actually knows what you are doing.

By going off the theory of "nothing bad happened to me so it's okay" is kind of just like saying I smoked cigarettes all my life and never got cancer so it's okay.
By Count8member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 687, member since Mon Jun 25, 2007
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 06:51 AM
Well, I never knew it was dangerous. I had all my earpiercings done by the gun and it was perfect. No pain, no blood, no infection.
Which is a miracle then, because I suffer from a rare disease that basically makes my immune system dissapear.
Must admit I'd do it anytime again rather than to suffer the pain from a needle *shudder*
On Mon Mar 24, 2008 08:13 AM
I never understand why people would do something to themselves to put them at risk when the information is out there. I mean yeah, I smoke. And the information is there. But there is no addiction in deciding to get a needle over the gun. Other than knowing that you're doing stuff the proper way and feeling good that infection rate is lower.

Needles don't hurt more. They don't. You just think they do because it's a scary needle.

Guns shoot dull ear rings through your ear. And can often misfire.
Needles are sharp and puts a cleaner, better hole through your ear.

Think of it like a thick piece of meat and two knives; a steak knife and a butter knife. Sure, you might be able to one day get through the meat with a butter knife, but your results are WAY better with a steak knife because it is sharper and has more precision getting through things. It's the same thing with a needle and a gun.

I'll never understand why people don't understand that. You're putting an open wound in your body, take care of it and get it done properly.
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun May 11, 2008 04:41 AM
Ooer. I didn't know piercing guns were bad. I heard they weren't good for nose piercings as they can break the bridge of your nose or something, but I didn't know they weren't good for anything at all!

I had my ears pierced in Claire's with a gun. I never really got any problems from it though... my ears healed up ok.
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch