Forum: Arts / Body Art

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By DancingCop Comments: 62, member since Fri May 23, 2008
On Sat May 24, 2008 12:00 AM
Well I just had to go and get gunned down a few times the last time was about 3 years ago. I went to the local mall but some girl younger then me did it. She had no idea what she was doing the piercing gun was a one time use only one so that was ok. But should 16-17 year olds really be able to do this. She got the stud to go through my ear but it was all screwy. It got major infected due to that, even though I cleaned it at least twice a day not to mention after a shower as well. It go so infected that my mom had to take the earring out because I couldn't get a good grasp of both the front and back. I was like 20 at the time too. Now because of the scaring the earring is almost not able to stay in my ear anymore. I have 5 "normal" earrings in each ear. Each done with the piercing gun. There is no way I would let anyone piercing my cartlidge with a gun. I went to a tattoo parlor for that. It was $40 and so worth it.
For me saying no to the gun has more to do then with just the gun itself. They really need to have a min age on who actually is able to do the piercings too. Especially if you are paying someone at the mall to do it for you and having to sign waviers for it.
~DC
By freenky Comments: 20, member since Mon Aug 04, 2008
On Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 PM
Thanks for this, it was very informative!
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:03 AM
I just really wanted to thank you for this post!
I came across it a few weeks ago when I was starting to figure out when I was going to get my ears re pierced, and I was planning on just going to Claire's again. (Bit of a backstory- I got my ears pierced with a gun twice, once when I was five- that rejected, and closed. And then again when I was seven, same thing happened. My Mum said it was probably because we didn't clean them enough) My piercer today told me it was most likely because of the gun.

I went and got my ears pierced again today (just my lobes) with the intent of stretching, and Mike, my piercer was so pleasant, funny and incredibly informative. It was a great experience. He told me he laughs when he has customers that come in and tell them they're body piercers as well and then say they work at Claire's- as he put it "You punch holes with a gun in baby's ears, I hope you're proud of yourself."

He also let me know how incredibly crooked my old holes had been- he said had they worked out, and I stretched them they would've been incredibly crooked. That would've been embarrassing.

My ears feel perfect right now, and I'm going back in eight weeks for him to stretch them one size.

So again, thank-you so much for saving me from getting gun-pierced again. -shudders-

-Ashleigh.
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2463, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Sat Jan 10, 2009 03:42 PM
Wow. I had my ears done with the gun when I was 5...and the piercer had me point to where I wanted the earring to go. BIG MISTAKE. The hole in my left ear is in the middle, but the hole on the right is way too low. When I wear studs, it's pretty obvious if you're standing close to me (and obviously if you're looking at my ears haha). I considered letting them close and getting them redone, but there's no point- I've had them for so long I just don't care anymore. Oh well.
By Jadamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1491, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:55 PM
*sigh*
If only I'd have seen this when I got my ears pierced. I finally got my courage up to go get my ears pierced so my family took me to Claires. It's been about 6 years, give or take, and I usually only wear earrings once a year (for my dance recital). My ears are so sensitive that even special earrings make my ears bleed and puss. I think after this year's recital I'm going to let my holes close up and get them redone at a better place. Hopefully it'll take care of some of my sensitivity so I'll be able to wear earrings more.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:59 PM
^I'd highly recommend it. A good, reputable piercer uses high quality jewelry...usually stainless steel or titanium. Both are metals that it's less likely for someone to be allergic to - especially titanium. One of my conch piercings was initially done with a titanium ring and I swear it healed so easily.
By isiscloud Comments: 47, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Tue May 12, 2009 07:39 PM
My first ear piercing were done by my dad (he's a veterinarian) when I was 9 or so. Had problems and let them close up. Then they were re-pierced by a jeweler when I was 15 or so. My dad did a second hole on my left ear. I'm allergic to 14K so I'd get massive infections wearing earrings.

However, my husband gave me really pretty earring for Valentine's day that mat my engagement ring (sapphire and diamond) so I'd like to get them done again. Thanks for letting me know about the gun.

Would probably have had it done with one over the weekend since it's a pain to do it elsewhere. Will be sure to go to a reputable place.

Thanks
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Tue May 12, 2009 07:47 PM
^There's no such thing as a reputable place that uses a piercing gun.
By califeisgirl Comments: 2439, member since Thu Mar 21, 2002
On Sun Jun 14, 2009 06:06 AM
Back years and years ago when I finally got my ears pierced we went to Claires and they've been fine ever since. That was err, 8 years ago and I rarely wear earrings and have never had a problem.

I do have a bit of a problem with this thread though. People keep saying just because you haven't had problems, that doesn't mean it ok. Well, these infections and dangers with piercing gun must be a small percentage of the population or else they wouldn't be allowed.

In life you weigh risks. You take all the horrible apocalyptic information out there and you look at those who have survive and you see which is greater.

There's a risk that when I get in my car and go somewhere someone could run me off the road and kill me. That doesn't mean I just stay home all day long.

I mean thanks for the warning and all. I have all the piercing I want, so there's not much I can do now. I just really don't like when people use scare tactics and to tell people that haven't had a bad experience their personal information is invalid because something could go wrong...well that just seems kind of rude to me.

Oh well, rant over.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 05:00 PM
It's hardly rude to warn people of the dangers of piercing guns, and it's not scare tactics. Just because a majority of people get lucky enough to not have major issues, that doesn't mean that those issues DON'T exist. There's a smart way and a stupid way to get things done. Getting a piercing done by a trained professional=smart. Going to someone at the mall who spent three hours practicing with a gun on a teddy bear=stupid.
By califeisgirl Comments: 2439, member since Thu Mar 21, 2002
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 01:23 AM
If the vast majority are not having problems and you make an issue look otherwise then yes, you are using scare tactics. If you are dealing with a majority, then it has nothing to do with luck. If I had 29 quarters in a bag and one penny and I drew out a quarter then I'm really not that lucky. Some people do have problems, yes, but the odds are those people already had problems, like they are prone to infection or have a skin sensitivity. The amount of people that go to places like Claires and have the procedure done and come home fine far exceeds the number of people that don't. That means the problem is rare and few and far between. So far between that it suggests that maybe it isn't so idiotic to let the store employee pierce your ears, especially if all you are doing is piercing your ears once. To imply that grave danger will fall upon anyone who uses that method is using scare tactics, because it simply not true. Yes, the is a chance for risk, but there's a chance of risk for every aspect of life. Plenty of people think its stupid to go putting holes in your body anyway.
I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I simply detest this kind of mindset. Normally I don't read this board, but I saw links for this thread multiple times and decided to see what all the noise was about. At first I thought it was an interesting issue, but then read about more and more people pointing out that things are fine and the only response was "It doesn't matter if worked out ok for all of you...something could go horribly wrong" that it started getting annoying.
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 PM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2009-07-02 23:14:49
Um...it's not just the BIG risks but it's also the small ones. Your ears are going to be put through more trauma meaning healing time is going to be longer and it's going to be more difficult. Not to mention that those people give you crappy solution for cleaning. Why would you want to do something that makes healing time longer when you can do something else that is going to be less traumatic to the ear? Seriously.

And....

Image hotlink - 'http://iampix.bmezine.com/6/e/kl4gv2/p20t872a.jpg'
(news.bmezine.com . . .}
That's not sensitivity or being prone to infection. That is someone's tissue being left on the piercing gun and ruining this girl's ear.

Scare tactic or not why would you risk it when you can do something that won't cause that? Yes, cars are risk when you drive...but you can't always get where you need to without a car. You have another option when it comes to piercing that won't present you with this risk.
By Ampersandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2702, member since Fri Aug 29, 2003
On Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 PM
Edited by Ampersand (72713) on 2009-07-02 23:36:23 Not enough drama! must have MOAR!
I can't decide between copying and pasting the whole thing, or just posting the link to it, so I'm gonna do both for the proper amounts of dramatic effect and fear tactics.

This is a response of mine to a thread on another board which sorta got hijacked onto a similar subject:
www.dance.net . . .

Here is the part I want people like CaliFeisGirl to pay attention to:
A friend of mine from high school decided during freshman year of college that she was going to bite the bullet and get her ears pierced. By this point in time I had other piercings done in a sterile environment and had researched a good deal on the subject. I encouraged her to get her ears done at a good piercing place I knew of, that I would go with her, and that it would be a better experience than a typical gun piercing. She decided against this. She was already just barely tolerating the idea of getting her ears pierced, and actually going near a place where there were large needles and suggestions of other piercings really wasn't her idea of a good time. So I let her go with her friends from college to the local mall and get it done. I figured that while there were risks, I didn't really know anyone that had experienced the worst of it, so she will probably be fine. I had done my bit to try and help her make a better decision but she was a big girl and made her own choice, and it would be fine. Wrong, she ended up with nice pink sparkly studs, and a sweet case of Hepatitis. Luckily for her it was an acute case and lasted only about a month. I can't even imagine how many other people it got spread to in that area though who were getting their ears pierced using the same unsterilized gun. I don't ever want to feel responsible again for saying to someone that yeah, the gun is bad, but the majority of people come out ok from it, and the worst you will get is a little infection. It isn't just an "interest in piercing" thing, it's a general health and education in what is best for your body thing. If people stopped viewing sanitary piercing parlors as dens of suspicious characters and people who will stick needles through any body part they get, then they would realize that they are actually better for them than those stupid piercing guns. I am not trying to convert anyone to any way of living except that of being an educated individual.

Would any of you go to someone who wasn't trained in giving stitches when you need stitches done?
How about let your doctor utilize a used scalpel to work on you?
Share a needle with a drug addict?
Yes, in life you have to weigh risks. I just think that when it comes to your body and possibly permanently altering it in some way there should be more thought and consideration put into it rather than "eh, I'll have some scar tissue, and I might not get Hepatitis or other diseases easily transmitted through bodily fluid."
So yes, sometimes, especially with friends, I will find the need to use scare tactics. You know what though, it is probably the same thing that they would do for me if the situation were reversed. Sometimes scare tactics are what it takes to get through to people who really don't have that much care and consideration to think about their own health.
By Ayokamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 858, member since Sun Sep 25, 2005
On Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 AM
I don't care how slim the chance is, if I put myself at risk for hepatitis and I don't get it, I'll consider myself lucky.
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:25 PM
I was in Sally Beauty Supply today. They now sell do it yourself home piercing guns and jewelry, one kind for lobes, and one for other areas of the body. I was apalled.
By alanbstardmp Comments: 22, member since Sun Mar 15, 2009
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 06:21 AM
you know, you may be right there Dani. You made some good poiints
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 08:05 AM
califeisgirl wrote:

If the vast majority are not having problems and you make an issue look otherwise then yes, you are using scare tactics.

Sorry, but logic fail. Plenty of things are removed from the market because they're dangerous to a small minority of people. Like food recalls. Or medicines that cause adverse reactions in some people, or product recalls. Would you advise a friend or relative to keep using a crib that had caused a child's death, just because "it was only one or two kids who died?" Or continue taking a medication that had caused severe medical problems or death in others, just because the rate of incidence hadn't tipped 51%?

Certainly SOME people have good experiences with piercing guns, but it's unacceptable that a product is still on the market that can spread communicable diseases when a sterile and safe alternative is readily available. It's not "scare tactics" for someone to point out that a product is dangerous due to a minority of users being harmed--it's fact!

Dani
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 PM
Wow. I had no idea... No wonder my mother was so mad at me when I came home 7 years ago with my first lobe piercings. ( I was just 18, went by myself. My mother was upset because I had it done at a random mall place-Piercing Pagoda).
Incidentally, I didn't have any problems really. Just some swelling-normal-and difficult getting the original earrings out. I may have a teeny tiny keloid on the underside of my left lobe near the hole.

If I had known the risks, i would not have done this. I probably would have gone to the doctor. (I've heard some pediatricians do this??? maybe i heard wrong...)
On Thu Mar 25, 2010 08:02 AM
^Honestly, I just don't understand why someone would go to a doctor to get pierced rather than a piercer to get pierced. It kind of doesn't make since to not go to the person who actually has made piercing a career and specializes in it.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 PM
Well to give you the answer straight ^ I was raised very sheltered, and by a rather prudish mother, so the thought of a piercer was totally out of the question. haha! I don't think I knew of any around the area where I was at the time!
I'm sure there were some, I saw a couple shops open up after that....
Being the person I was then, even if I knew of them I would have never gone in...

Knowing what I know now from peeking in on this board, I understand your point, and it's quite valid. eh. no more piercings for me anyway
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sun Jul 11, 2010 09:24 PM
scenedanser wrote:

^ Clarie's does use a sinlge use gun. If you've ever noticed, they have tape on them when they take them out of the cabinet. Trust me, I've been in the back room of the Clarie's at my mall.. They are stocked with them.

Maybe they used to...but I work at Claire's, and I can tell you that we have exactly 2 piercing guns that are used.

Angelina wrote:

My sister had her ears (lobes) pierced for a second time a few weeks ago, using a needle, and she said it was a much nicer experience than when she had her first ones done with a gun in Claire's, both pain-wise, and just the general experience - she didn't have a huge audience, for one thing.

The problem is that a lot of people don't realise that Claire's isn't the only place you can get pierced. Nobody knows guns are dangerous, and practically everyone I know with pierced ears (in fact, everyone) had it done with a gun. Myself included.

I'd be interested to know what training those girls have to have before they're allowed to pierce someone. I can't imagine it's very extensive, and I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be terrified to work in Claire's and have to pierce someone.

The training involved at Claire's for certification is as follows:

1) Watch videos on piercing procedures.
2) Read about piercing procedures.
3) Take a quiz on piercing procedures and go over it with your trainer (either the manager or the assistant manager).
4) Observe piercings.
5) Practice on cardboard/foam ears.
6) Do "double" piercings with your trainer where you are both watching them and being observed.
7) Do multiple piercings on your own but with observation.

As I said before, I work at Claire's, and that's how I know this.

I have yet to get past step 5 even though I've been working there for a month and a half.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jul 26, 2010 05:41 PM
^And how is that compared to the months and often years of training professional piercers go through? It ain't. I got my lobes done at Claire's and it was a huge mistake. I wish when they closed up the first time, I'd gone to an actual piercer.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 08:33 AM
PinUpGirl wrote:

^And how is that compared to the months and often years of training professional piercers go through? It ain't. I got my lobes done at Claire's and it was a huge mistake. I wish when they closed up the first time, I'd gone to an actual piercer.

I wasn't comparing. I was posting because someone was interested.
By Lev_Nougol Comments: 23, member since Mon Dec 20, 2010
On Thu Jan 27, 2011 03:48 AM
I've heard from some people that the gun can cause a seizure or something?
Don't know how much truth there is in it, so this is me asking.
Is it true at all?
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Fri Aug 05, 2011 06:05 PM
Man in Australia there is no hype about guns being bad...it's the standard practice for lobe piercings, i got my first two in my lobes done with guns with no problems, and had needles for my third, but that's how it is in australia. Noone will ever use a gun on anything but the lower lobe. As a scientist I am quite happy witht he sterilisation process that they use on guns, the only problem I see is that SOMETIMES, because the gun is less accuurate, there can be a problem with piercings, but guns here are really good, there is never "blood spattering" or anything like that, needle piercings have more blood! If someone is getting hepatitis from an ear piercing gun, I'd say that's more to do with the place where they got it done, than the fact that it was actually a gun!
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch