JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By TheMidlakeMuse
On 08/21/2006 17:33:18
[i]NB: PoT has done a splendid job outlining the dangers and safety hazards of piercing guns, but the word needs to get out and I figured a sticky on the front page would attract more attention.[/i]

[b]JUST SAY NO TO PIERCING GUNS![/b]

BME, the foremost authority on piercing on the web, has summed up the risks and rewards of piercing guns...and the long and the short of it is that it's all risk and no reward!

from http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Piercing_gun

[q]A piercing gun, traditionally used by mall stores for piercing ears, is typically inappropriate for piercing of any kind. Almost all medical professionals agree that piercing guns cannot be adequately sterilized (an alcohol wipe is NOT sterilization); this means that they are capable of passing hepatitis and other diseases.

In addition, experience has taught the industry that:

* Ear piercing studs are dull and tear through the body, causing unnecessary pain, healing duration, and other possible complications.
* Ear piercing guns are inaccurate and not designed for piercing most body parts, resulting in improper piercing placement.
* Ear piercing studs are the wrong size and too short for most piercings, their diameter is commonly 16ga or 18ga : that's too small for any piercings, and might cause migration.

[b]Any "piercer" using a piercing gun should be avoided.[/b][/q]

This article does an awesome job of breaking each component of gun piercing down as unsafe. Taken from http://www.bmeworld.com/heidi/guns.html

why a needle piercing is superior to a gun piercing
by Lish Daelnar

1. sterilization:

- guns cannot be autoclaved. if put in an autoclave (sterilization device), it will melt. the only sterile part about the gun piercing is the stud itself, which is not acceptable when placed into a non-sterile environment (read: the gun itself.) guns are sanitized (not sterilized; big difference) with windex, which will not kill hep-b, hep-c, & most of the microbes that cause infection, nor will it clean up the spray of plasma & blood, perhaps blood-borne pathogens, from the previous customer.

- every tool used in a 'needle pierce' is autoclaved, not just the jewelry. this includes the forceps, needle, the jewelry, ring opening / ring closing pliers, the rubber band that holds the tension on the forceps, right down to the field on which the bacitracin is squeezed. (bacitracin is used as lubrication to make it easier for the needle & jewlery to go through the skin.)

- cleanliness of the piercer. to be a "pro with a gun", the "piercer" must only know how to load the gun & aim straight. this does not account for cross-contamination from touching other objects with latex gloves on, nor does it cover the occasional spray of blood from a previous piercee, from which the gun cannot be properly cleansed. professional piercers are trained in how to prevent cross-contamination & the transmission of blood-borne pathogens & you'll see them changing their gloves every time they touch something non-autoclaved. the APP (the association of professional piercers) watches over procedures & if you're being pierced by an APP-approved shop, you know the piercer has been through the classes that teach him these things. the "piercers" that work in the mall & use guns have no such organization.

- the stud itself. the gun can only hold a butterfly-back stud, & if you've ever seen one, you know that they're difficult to clean properly. dried lymph fluids (& sometimes, initially, blood) get caught in this backing & make it easier to contract infection. initial 'needle-pierce' jewelry is generally a ring, which makes cleaning much easier due to there being nowhere for discharge, hair, dirt, & bacteria to get stuck. studs also have a tendency to become wrapped with hair, which can imbed the hair in the piercing.

2. trauma to the ear:

- as previously stated, the gun can only hold one type of stud, the dimensions of which happen to be 18ga, approximately 1/4" in length. this small gauge is generally inappropriate for any area of cartilage (upper ear, nostrils) for two reasons. one, it's tougher to heal a small hole than it is a large one. a dermal punched (like a big hole punch) 2ga ear cartilage piercing will heal months faster than a 18ga gun OR needle pierce in the same area of tissue, on the same person, due to the surface area involved. the second reason concerns the initial hole size. cartilage should be pierced with a step larger needle than jewelry (14ga needle with 16ga jewelry, et cetera), as this gives the cartilage some room to grow in around the piercing. i've proven this on myself - the only cartilage piercings i'm still having trouble with were pierced with either the same size needle as jewlery or a gun.

- when a gun piercing is performed, the end of the stud is what creates the hole. this is much more traumatic for the ear, as the stud isn't nearly sharp enough to avoid compacting the tissue, leading to a longer healing period. a needle is razor-sharp & carves a cresent-shaped hole in the ear which is stretched round as the rest of the needle continues through the newly made hole. less compacted tissue leads to quicker healing.

- the length of the stud, 1/4", is too short to allow for swelling. the pierce needs to be given room to swell so as to prevent pain & possible imbedding of the stud in the ear. rings used as initial jewelry, which cannot be installed with a gun piercing, when sized properly, give plenty of room to swell. rings are chosen based on the size of the person's ear to be pierced (standard is 3/8" to 5/8" in diameter). this cannot be done with a gun.

3. pain:

- a quick push with a razor-sharp needle is less painful than an equally quick click of a dull stud tearing a hole through tissue. a good professional piercer can move a needle just as fast as the gun moves the stud.

- the ear is less sensitive when it has proper room to swell. even my large gauge ear piercings were MUCH less sore the next day than my regular gauge gunned earlobe piercings, even though the procedure of my larger ones (pierce at 12ga, tapered stretch immediately to 6ga * ) was rather traumatic to the lobe tissues.
(* initial stretching this quickly was improper. i had asked to be pierced at 10ga, which would have prevented the slight tearing i experienced along the edges of the crescent cut by the needle.)

any body part other than an ear generally cannot be fit into a gun. there have been cases of nipple & navel pierces with a gun, but they can easily be torn out with such a small gauge, & as well, there's no room for the body part to swell (& body piercings often swell much more than earlobes.)

i've covered the two major reasons cartilage shouldn't be pierced with a gun, due to the stud itself, & that doesn't even get into sterilization. lobes can be pierced successfully at 18ga, although the stud still leaves insufficient room for swelling, as well as the evil of the butterfly backs.

In other words, [b]guns are a BIG no-no![/b] Even if they're perfectly clean, the method of delivery can be extremely damaging.

Do not get pierced at any place that does NOT use a sterile, one-time-use-only piercing needle and equipment. There's a reason that professional piercers use needles. [b]The gun is not an acceptable way to be pierced ANYWHERE on your body.[/b] Do your homework and find a reputable [b]professional[/b] piercing shop--one that's clean, sterile and and safe for all.

Dani
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Deus_Ex_Machina
On 09/05/2006 04:51:52
See, im wondering why gun "piercing" is even legal in the US. (or anywhere else for that matter..) You are dealing with biological material, sterilization, possible splatter and cross contamination among other things.

You cant open a message chair/stand even at the mall and practice without a licence, so why can people puncture holes in other people with guns without one?

God, there needs to be more people who care about things like this to try and get the laws changed.

Piercing guns make me angry.
By Oranges
On 09/05/2006 18:48:34
When I got my first holes done (I was 4), I had them done with a gun at a hair saloon (that's where they used to do them in my area). One of the guns got stuck in my ear. I WAS FOUR! Guns scared the hell out of me.

I'm proud of myself I saved a girl from getting her cartilage pierced by a gun the other day at work. I was talking to her and her mom while ringing them up and I told them about guns and then I told them about local piercers. :p
By PinUpGirl
On 09/08/2006 09:29:43
I had my ears done by a gun and they really screwed them up. The holes were uneven and if I would keep earrings out for a long time, they would close up. I'd try to poke earrings through and they'd get infected. Finally, I gave up. I'm going either this weekend or next and getting them redone at my favorite piercing parlor.
By Claritin
On 09/08/2006 19:46:46
Huh. That would have been nice to know when I got my ears pierced.

I got both sets of holes done at Claire's at seperate times. Fortunarely nothing went hay-wire and they healed up just fine.

If I ever want to get a third hole or cartilage I will definitely remember this.
By scenedanser
On 09/12/2006 14:52:14
In some cases, a gun is fine ONLY on your ear LOBES. The piercing studs from Clarie's are only long enough to allow swelling in your lobes. It kills me to see people with the piercing studs in their noses, belly buttons, eyebrows, lips. It's so un-hygenic. It's not as bad as safety pins.
By Claritin
On 09/12/2006 17:18:53
^correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn Claire's has single use guns.

Regardless, after reading this post I'd rather not have my ears pierced again with a gun, even if it is in my lobe.
By scenedanser
On 09/12/2006 18:59:07
^ Clarie's does use a sinlge use gun. If you've ever noticed, they have tape on them when they take them out of the cabinet. Trust me, I've been in the back room of the Clarie's at my mall.. They are stocked with them.
JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By LusciousLottie
On 10/05/2006 04:49:59
im sorry this may upset you but im goin to disagree with you,
as i my self am a hairdresser and i went on a course were i learnt to use a piercing gun , this course was run by one of the top manufacturers of these piercing guns and in the course you were tought how to clean the gun and how to carry out the piercing safely. However the problem is the people using the guns as irrersponsible people use the guns in the wrong way as they are only meant for piercing ears and not any other part of the body but as i said stupid people who are usualy not qualified in using the guns use the gun to pierce other body parts.

these people have obviously not bought the gun from a shop as to buy the gun from a supplier you need to show your certificate of qulification so you can purchase the gun, but it is also easy to purchase them without thanx to online shops like ebay ect.

also with a gun comes a life time garantee that if it breaks or becomes damaged or anything happens to it which makes it not safe to use it you can take it bake to the supplier and they will replace it free of charge.

As for you saying they are un hygenic id like to point out the earings used come airtight packed making them extremely hygenic, where as most piercing jewllery used in piercing shops that i have seen are jst in a mass pile in a little draw.

sorry for my rant but it is my opinion *please note* that if it is carried out correctly and professionaly by a trained gun user then nothin should go wrong, but sometimes it does but it is not neserserialy down to the gun as i know people who have been piercing by needles have something gone wrong.
By JoyNoelle
On 10/05/2006 13:35:35
I, too, have to disagree with the whole 'avoid the gun' thing. But please note that this is based solely on my own experience, not extensive research or statistics--and I respect the fact that others HAVE done research and think guns should be avoided.

I had my first ear piercing done a long time ago, with a gun; no problems. Some time later when I decided I wanted a second ear piercing I again had them done with a gun; no problems. Years later when I decided to have a third piercing (still on the lobe), they were also done with a gun; no problems. Finally, I decided to have my cartilage pierced, and they too were done with a gun; no problems. To summarize, with a total of eight piercings I've had no infections and nothing else to complain about, unless you're going to take into account the discomfort/pain expected with poking holes in your body! My two oldest piercings are older than most people who post here. :P

Unless I'm just grossly missing something, I don't see why I should wish I had avoided the gun. :?
By Crazy_Claire
On 10/09/2006 13:29:59
I want to thank you and POT for pointing this out. I had my ears pierced with the Gun, and fortunatly everying turned out okay.

I'm not sure that there are any places in the UK that pierce ears with a needle though. All my friends and alot of people from my school had theres done with the gun. I had mine done a Beaties Department Store by a beautician.

While I can appreciated the hygeine issues with the gun, is having the gun better than attempting to pierce things on your own using a safety pin and an ice cube as the sterilizer?

Anyway,once again, thank you for pointing this issue out. I don't think I will get any more piercings but if I do, i'll bear in mind the words of advice you have given.

Claire.
By Wicked_Elphaba
On 10/09/2006 15:07:51
Ok, I normally don't highjack threads like this. Or at least I don't think I do. Julie, you really have no right to come on to a BODYART board and tell us not to pierce and tattoo. I have 2 tattoos. I love them. I'm addicted to them. And are you my mother or anyone elses on this board? Nope, already have one of those, thanks, while she tells me she'd prefer I not get tattoos, there isn't really much she can do about it, I'm 23 and don't live at home. As for the others getting pierced and tattooed, that is certainly their right. Without further ado, i'm posting a photo of my newest tattoo, a tattoo to show the dedication I have to my job. If you have an opinion to voice, there is a lovely debate forum. :-D

I got my ears pierced with the gun when I was little, the gun is evil and must be destroyed!
By SilverBella
On 10/27/2006 17:56:34
I don't advocate this, but I pierced my cartilige and lobes (lobe. haha funny word.) myself with a needle. I'd had the lower part done probably about 4 time with a gun, and they always got infected and wouldnt heal right and such. Since I did it myself, they've been perfectly fine.
I always blamed the specific place, but thanks to this post I'm blaming the guns. If I get more holes (considering it) I will be sure to find a professional place with no guns (I don't plan on piercing myself again. I realize it's unsafe.)

~ Snackle
By PinUpGirl
On 10/30/2006 19:51:36
I had my lobes pierced with a gun twice and it turned out fine. Claire's has single use guns and studs with a sharp tip. I'm not saying it's a good thing and by no means advocating it, but I guess my individual experience has colored my opinion a bit.
JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By d4j
On 11/14/2006 22:19:27
Well, when I had my ears pierced, the piecers just stuck the studs in with a twist, no gun, no needle, the studs went straight in and that was that.

But I don't like guns since once I saw a little girl of about three get "gunned" at a mall and it was pretty awful to see how terrified she was after they did the first ear.
By KeepOnSingin
On 02/24/2007 13:55:07
I got my ears (lobes) pierced at The Icing (a store owned by the same company as Claire's) when I was 12,I am 16 now,and I have had no problems with them whatsoever.They have never become infected,and I've had no problems with them closing up,even when I don't wear earrings for months on end.

If I were to get a second hole in my lobe (which I probably won't considering how infrequently I actually wear earrings),I would definitely go to a piercer though because I have really small earlobes,and I would want to make sure that the holes didn't collide or anything.And for cartilage,I would also never use the gun for fear of infection since those in the cartilage are worse!
By NeNe8
On 06/14/2007 12:59:19
I guess i cant totally agree with you guys since i have never gotten sick from any piercings seeing as i have at least 7 on my face alone and all but the tounge were with a gun. But, i do stray away from the gun now and more and more places are starting to use sterilized needles to prevent from the bacteria spread and viral spread.
By Brittany
On 06/18/2007 19:17:26
I'm not even going to touch on what some of you people have said...well, I am but not in detail.

The person the said they used a little rubbing alcohol to help their piercing...rubbing alcohol dries the piercing out and does not allow it to heal faster. But slower.

The person that said they'd use a needle themselves...no. Just no. Not smart.

Facial piercings done with a gun just disturbs me. The jewelry in a gun isn't even meant for facial piercings!

And to all of you that think there is no problem with piercing cartilage with the gun or using the reusable guns (even on your lobes) here's something for ya...

I did a speech on why not to use the piercing gun. It left my audience (my class) in a bit of disgust...and I used this picture and this example. And it might not be that pretty, so I am warning ya...but...

http://modblog.bmezine.com/2006/07/24/gun-piercing/

YUMMY! Gotta love that piercing gun! (sarcasm)
By balletsfriend
On 07/31/2007 19:47:20
I'm scared now!

I just got my cartilage pierced yesterday at Claire's. This is freaking me out!
By YoungDandy
On 09/23/2007 08:52:29
I had my lobes pierced with a gun when I was 3 years old. The gun wasn't a single use (well I remember it didnt look exactly new...) and I remember it being extremely painful, like my ear had just been hammered, then a blunt spike had gouged its way through. I lied and told my mum it didnt hurt very much and just smiled, while secretly being in agonising pain (being 3 at the time, it was hardest to hold off the tears) I was lucky that it didnt get infected or anything, and 14 years later, theyre fine. When my little sister had to get hers re-pierced recently, she too had the gun. I did not know of the dangers involved then, but to me the gun looked highly questionable.
Im considering getting my ears pierced a second time, the only thing holding me back is the pain that I can still clearly remember from the first piercings I had with the gun. Now that I know this, ill defiantly try and find a place that uses needles, as many have said they are no where near as painful!
By Angelina
On 09/23/2007 11:33:15
My sister had her ears (lobes) pierced for a second time a few weeks ago, using a needle, and she said it was a much nicer experience than when she had her first ones done with a gun in Claire's, both pain-wise, and just the general experience - she didn't have a huge audience, for one thing.

The problem is that a lot of people don't realise that Claire's isn't the only place you can get pierced. Nobody knows guns are dangerous, and practically everyone I know with pierced ears (in fact, everyone) had it done with a gun. Myself included.

I'd be interested to know what training those girls have to have before they're allowed to pierce someone. I can't imagine it's very extensive, and I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be terrified to work in Claire's and have to pierce someone.
By Dark_Lark
On 11/04/2007 11:06:41
I had my ears pierced twice by a gun. Each were seperate times, but since then I haven't been able to look at those things or look a needles at hospitals when I go for my shots. I now fear those things.
By Ruth
On 11/11/2007 09:33:36
I think all the views on this thread are very interesting!!

Karma for outlining the subject and bringing the safety of people to view.

Ruth :)
By oooshiny
On 12/27/2007 11:58:07
I got both sets of my lobes done at Claire's before I had ever heard about the dangers of using piercing guns. The second holes were little buggers for months and would close up almost instantly even 6 months after I had them done! I just learned about the gun this past year and I'm just thankful nothing went seriously wrong!

Nice informtive post :)
By gobbygibbo
On 03/07/2008 04:44:21
personaly I think it depends witch part of the ear it is I had my lobes done with a gone 3 holes in each ear and I was ok with that and they also did my ears at the same time but I think that the top of your ear should be done with a needle because I had mine done with a gun years ago and its still bad now its lumpy and can be painfull at times! Iv also had my tragus done and that was with a needle and its more painfull than getting a tattoo!! xxx
By Diamante_Dancer
On 03/20/2008 11:02:50
Have to disagree. I have had eight piercings with a gun. I felt no pain. I have no scars. (some of the piercings i had with guns have healed) In my experience, The needle part of the gun is actually detatchable, a new sterile set of gun needles, out of a sealed sterile box are used every time, and all the piercer has to do is take the cover off. No touching involved, so it is clean. And as for not being accurate, piercings i have had done with a needle are wonky!!! But my gun piercings are perfect!!!! Bronte
By Brittany
On 03/23/2008 21:40:24
^There is no needle part to a gun. The jewelry is your "needle" which is generally really dull, causing more trauma. And sure, people can mess up a piercing with a needle. That's why you go to someone who actually knows what you are doing. By going off the theory of "nothing bad happened to me so it's okay" is kind of just like saying I smoked cigarettes all my life and never got cancer so it's okay.
By Brittany
On 03/24/2008 08:13:34
I never understand why people would do something to themselves to put them at risk when the information is out there. I mean yeah, I smoke. And the information is there. But there is no addiction in deciding to get a needle over the gun. Other than knowing that you're doing stuff the proper way and feeling good that infection rate is lower. Needles don't hurt more. They don't. You just think they do because it's a scary needle. Guns shoot dull ear rings through your ear. And can often misfire. Needles are sharp and puts a cleaner, better hole through your ear. Think of it like a thick piece of meat and two knives; a steak knife and a butter knife. Sure, you might be able to one day get through the meat with a butter knife, but your results are WAY better with a steak knife because it is sharper and has more precision getting through things. It's the same thing with a needle and a gun. I'll never understand why people don't understand that. You're putting an open wound in your body, take care of it and get it done properly.
By x_Nic_x
On 05/11/2008 04:41:45
Ooer. I didn't know piercing guns were bad. I heard they weren't good for nose piercings as they can break the bridge of your nose or something, but I didn't know they weren't good for anything at all! I had my ears pierced in Claire's with a gun. I never really got any problems from it though... my ears healed up ok.
By DancingCop
On 05/24/2008 00:00:31
Well I just had to go and get gunned down a few times the last time was about 3 years ago. I went to the local mall but some girl younger then me did it. She had no idea what she was doing the piercing gun was a one time use only one so that was ok. But should 16-17 year olds really be able to do this. She got the stud to go through my ear but it was all screwy. It got major infected due to that, even though I cleaned it at least twice a day not to mention after a shower as well. It go so infected that my mom had to take the earring out because I couldn't get a good grasp of both the front and back. I was like 20 at the time too. Now because of the scaring the earring is almost not able to stay in my ear anymore. I have 5 "normal" earrings in each ear. Each done with the piercing gun. There is no way I would let anyone piercing my cartlidge with a gun. I went to a tattoo parlor for that. It was $40 and so worth it. For me saying no to the gun has more to do then with just the gun itself. They really need to have a min age on who actually is able to do the piercings too. Especially if you are paying someone at the mall to do it for you and having to sign waviers for it. ~DC
By freenky
On 08/30/2008 23:51:20
Thanks for this, it was very informative!
By Believe
On 08/31/2008 00:03:34
I just really wanted to thank you for this post! I came across it a few weeks ago when I was starting to figure out when I was going to get my ears re pierced, and I was planning on just going to Claire's again. (Bit of a backstory- I got my ears pierced with a gun twice, once when I was five- that rejected, and closed. And then again when I was seven, same thing happened. My Mum said it was probably because we didn't clean them enough) My piercer today told me it was most likely because of the gun. I went and got my ears pierced again today (just my lobes) with the intent of stretching, and Mike, my piercer was so pleasant, funny and incredibly informative. It was a great experience. He told me he laughs when he has customers that come in and tell them they're body piercers as well and then say they work at Claire's- as he put it "You punch holes with a gun in baby's ears, I hope you're proud of yourself." He also let me know how incredibly crooked my old holes had been- he said had they worked out, and I stretched them they would've been incredibly crooked. That would've been embarrassing. My ears feel perfect right now, and I'm going back in eight weeks for him to stretch them one size. So again, thank-you so much for saving me from getting gun-pierced again. -shudders- -Ashleigh.
By KangarooPaw
On 01/10/2009 15:42:57
Wow. I had my ears done with the gun when I was 5...and the piercer had me point to where I wanted the earring to go. BIG MISTAKE. The hole in my left ear is in the middle, but the hole on the right is way too low. When I wear studs, it's pretty obvious if you're standing close to me (and obviously if you're looking at my ears haha). I considered letting them close and getting them redone, but there's no point- I've had them for so long I just don't care anymore. Oh well.
By Jada
On 04/23/2009 20:55:47
*sigh* If only I'd have seen this when I got my ears pierced. I finally got my courage up to go get my ears pierced so my family took me to Claires. It's been about 6 years, give or take, and I usually only wear earrings once a year (for my dance recital). My ears are so sensitive that even special earrings make my ears bleed and puss. I think after this year's recital I'm going to let my holes close up and get them redone at a better place. Hopefully it'll take care of some of my sensitivity so I'll be able to wear earrings more.
By Brittany
On 04/23/2009 20:59:11
^I'd highly recommend it. A good, reputable piercer uses high quality jewelry...usually stainless steel or titanium. Both are metals that it's less likely for someone to be allergic to - especially titanium. One of my conch piercings was initially done with a titanium ring and I swear it healed so easily.
By isiscloud
On 05/12/2009 19:39:04
My first ear piercing were done by my dad (he's a veterinarian) when I was 9 or so. Had problems and let them close up. Then they were re-pierced by a jeweler when I was 15 or so. My dad did a second hole on my left ear. I'm allergic to 14K so I'd get massive infections wearing earrings. However, my husband gave me really pretty earring for Valentine's day that mat my engagement ring (sapphire and diamond) so I'd like to get them done again. Thanks for letting me know about the gun. Would probably have had it done with one over the weekend since it's a pain to do it elsewhere. Will be sure to go to a reputable place. Thanks
By Brittany
On 05/12/2009 19:47:35
^There's no such thing as a reputable place that uses a piercing gun.
By califeisgirl
On 06/14/2009 06:06:30
Back years and years ago when I finally got my ears pierced we went to Claires and they've been fine ever since. That was err, 8 years ago and I rarely wear earrings and have never had a problem. I do have a bit of a problem with this thread though. People keep saying just because you haven't had problems, that doesn't mean it ok. Well, these infections and dangers with piercing gun must be a small percentage of the population or else they wouldn't be allowed. In life you weigh risks. You take all the horrible apocalyptic information out there and you look at those who have survive and you see which is greater. There's a risk that when I get in my car and go somewhere someone could run me off the road and kill me. That doesn't mean I just stay home all day long. I mean thanks for the warning and all. I have all the piercing I want, so there's not much I can do now. I just really don't like when people use scare tactics and to tell people that haven't had a bad experience their personal information is invalid because something could go wrong...well that just seems kind of rude to me. Oh well, rant over.
By Kekoa
On 06/29/2009 17:00:22
It's hardly rude to warn people of the dangers of piercing guns, and it's not scare tactics. Just because a majority of people get lucky enough to not have major issues, that doesn't mean that those issues DON'T exist. There's a smart way and a stupid way to get things done. Getting a piercing done by a trained professional=smart. Going to someone at the mall who spent three hours practicing with a gun on a teddy bear=stupid.
By califeisgirl
On 07/02/2009 01:23:50
If the vast majority are not having problems and you make an issue look otherwise then yes, you are using scare tactics. If you are dealing with a majority, then it has nothing to do with luck. If I had 29 quarters in a bag and one penny and I drew out a quarter then I'm really not that lucky. Some people do have problems, yes, but the odds are those people already had problems, like they are prone to infection or have a skin sensitivity. The amount of people that go to places like Claires and have the procedure done and come home fine far exceeds the number of people that don't. That means the problem is rare and few and far between. So far between that it suggests that maybe it isn't so idiotic to let the store employee pierce your ears, especially if all you are doing is piercing your ears once. To imply that grave danger will fall upon anyone who uses that method is using scare tactics, because it simply not true. Yes, the is a chance for risk, but there's a chance of risk for every aspect of life. Plenty of people think its stupid to go putting holes in your body anyway. I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I simply detest this kind of mindset. Normally I don't read this board, but I saw links for this thread multiple times and decided to see what all the noise was about. At first I thought it was an interesting issue, but then read about more and more people pointing out that things are fine and the only response was "It doesn't matter if worked out ok for all of you...something could go horribly wrong" that it started getting annoying.
By Brittany
On 07/02/2009 23:14:28
Um...it's not just the BIG risks but it's also the small ones. Your ears are going to be put through more trauma meaning healing time is going to be longer and it's going to be more difficult. Not to mention that those people give you crappy solution for cleaning. Why would you want to do something that makes healing time longer when you can do something else that is going to be less traumatic to the ear? Seriously. And.... [image=http://iampix.bmezine.com/6/e/kl4gv2/p20t872a.jpg] (http://news.bmezine.com/2006/07/24/gun-piercing/} That's not sensitivity or being prone to infection. That is someone's tissue being left on the piercing gun and ruining this girl's ear. Scare tactic or not why would you risk it when you can do something that won't cause that? Yes, cars are risk when you drive...but you can't always get where you need to without a car. You have another option when it comes to piercing that won't present you with this risk.
By alanbstardmp
On 07/31/2009 06:21:36
you know, you may be right there Dani. You made some good poiints
By Brittany
On 03/25/2010 08:02:22
^Honestly, I just don't understand why someone would go to a doctor to get pierced rather than a piercer to get pierced. It kind of doesn't make since to not go to the person who actually has made piercing a career and specializes in it.
By KeepOnSingin
On 07/11/2010 21:24:23
^ Clarie's does use a sinlge use gun. If you've ever noticed, they have tape on them when they take them out of the cabinet. Trust me, I've been in the back room of the Clarie's at my mall.. They are stocked with them.
Maybe they used to...but I work at Claire's, and I can tell you that we have exactly 2 piercing guns that are used.
My sister had her ears (lobes) pierced for a second time a few weeks ago, using a needle, and she said it was a much nicer experience than when she had her first ones done with a gun in Claire's, both pain-wise, and just the general experience - she didn't have a huge audience, for one thing. The problem is that a lot of people don't realise that Claire's isn't the only place you can get pierced. Nobody knows guns are dangerous, and practically everyone I know with pierced ears (in fact, everyone) had it done with a gun. Myself included. I'd be interested to know what training those girls have to have before they're allowed to pierce someone. I can't imagine it's very extensive, and I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be terrified to work in Claire's and have to pierce someone.
The training involved at Claire's for certification is as follows: 1) Watch videos on piercing procedures. 2) Read about piercing procedures. 3) Take a quiz on piercing procedures and go over it with your trainer (either the manager or the assistant manager). 4) Observe piercings. 5) Practice on cardboard/foam ears. 6) Do "double" piercings with your trainer where you are both watching them and being observed. 7) Do multiple piercings on your own but with observation. As I said before, I work at Claire's, and that's how I know this. I have yet to get past step 5 even though I've been working there for a month and a half.
By PinUpGirl
On 07/26/2010 17:41:45
^And how is that compared to the months and often years of training professional piercers go through? It ain't. I got my lobes done at Claire's and it was a huge mistake. I wish when they closed up the first time, I'd gone to an actual piercer.
By KeepOnSingin
On 08/03/2010 08:33:29
^And how is that compared to the months and often years of training professional piercers go through? It ain't. I got my lobes done at Claire's and it was a huge mistake. I wish when they closed up the first time, I'd gone to an actual piercer.
I wasn't comparing. I was posting because someone was interested.
By Lev_Nougol
On 01/27/2011 03:48:56
I've heard from some people that the gun can cause a seizure or something? Don't know how much truth there is in it, so this is me asking. Is it true at all?
By mandakp
On 08/05/2011 18:05:55
Man in Australia there is no hype about guns being bad...it's the standard practice for lobe piercings, i got my first two in my lobes done with guns with no problems, and had needles for my third, but that's how it is in australia. Noone will ever use a gun on anything but the lower lobe. As a scientist I am quite happy witht he sterilisation process that they use on guns, the only problem I see is that SOMETIMES, because the gun is less accuurate, there can be a problem with piercings, but guns here are really good, there is never "blood spattering" or anything like that, needle piercings have more blood! If someone is getting hepatitis from an ear piercing gun, I'd say that's more to do with the place where they got it done, than the fact that it was actually a gun!
By Brittany
On 08/21/2011 11:13:15
^Wrong, wrong, wrong. Guns cannot be sterilized so I don't know why you're happy with that. It doesn't matter if a needle causes blood because a new needle will always be used on each customer and any blood in the area (which is rare) is cleaned up. Guns are not good, did you read the post? The people using them are hardly and poorly trained, the types of jewelry suck both in metal and size, the aftercare information they will give you is so wrong, they don't create a proper hole. So yes, even for lobe piercings it is always best to go to a trained professional piercer.
By mandakp
On 09/19/2011 00:57:43
That's wonderful. However I would like to point out that all trained professional piercers in Australia will use a gun. Yes, I said TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS. They will use guns. Trained professional piercers use guns. They don't give wrong aftercare information either, that's just making a huge generalisation! And one more time in case you missed it, TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS USE GUNS.
By Trout
On 09/19/2011 01:20:23
^I think the point she's trying to convey is that trained professionals use guns? I have six piercings in my ears and all were done by guns. When I had them done I didn't even know that needle piercing for ears was an option. I really wish I would have. I struggled with infections in all the piercings for months after they were pierced, and I still get an occasional piercing infection today even though I got them pierced six years ago. The third piercing in my right ear wasn't done correctly and it's hard to get an earring through it because you have to wiggle it around to find the path, and if I leave one out for more than two days it starts to close. I really regret not having my piercings done with a needle. I wish I would have known.
By Kekoa
On 09/19/2011 01:34:01
That's wonderful. However I would like to point out that all trained professional piercers in Australia will use a gun. Yes, I said TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS. They will use guns. Trained professional piercers use guns. They don't give wrong aftercare information either, that's just making a huge generalisation! And one more time in case you missed it, TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS USE GUNS.
Then they are flat out doing it wrong. It's not all about sterilization or incorrect aftercare, it's about the mechanics of the piercing. The way a gun works is traumatizing and damaging to the ear.
By mandakp
On 09/19/2011 20:13:21
I struggled with infections in all the piercings for months after they were pierced, and I still get an occasional piercing infection today even though I got them pierced six years ago. The third piercing in my right ear wasn't done correctly and it's hard to get an earring through it because you have to wiggle it around to find the path, and if I leave one out for more than two days it starts to close. I really regret not having my piercings done with a needle. I wish I would have known.
It's funny you say that because I have four piercings done by guns, and 2 by needles, and the needle piercings gave me the most grief. My gun ones are perfect, healed quickly, never got infected, and I can leave earrings out for weeks and they don't close up. My last needle piercing is shocking, I got it done 6 months ago and it's still not healed properly, it's constantly getting infected, and I have done nothing to it differently than with my other piercings. My other needle one was troublesome as well, but not quite as much as this current one. I stand by what I say. Yes, I know guns can be less accurate, but that can be improved by opting for titatium earrings over stainless steel. Any professional piercers I went to only use guns for lobes, they never do it for higher than a second piercing, in case they get too close to the cartilage. But you are NOT going to get hepatitis by getting your ear pierced with a gun. If you do, you probably went to a very very dodgy place, using a crappy gun. If I could do it over again, I'd definitely stick with the gun.
By Believe
On 09/19/2011 21:09:03
Dude, you're completely missing the point. Gun piercing is bad because rather than piercing a HOLE through your ear, it wedges its way through causing tons of blunt trauma and pissing your ear off. Your gun piercings may have healed, but that is an EXCEPTION not the norm. Gun piercing is not a good idea, it's horrid for your ears, even if some of them turn out okay.
By Brittany
On 09/19/2011 22:26:44
And to add... Titanium ear rings do nothing to add to accuracy of the piercing gun. And usually the titanium ear rings used by a piercing gun are no where near the (implant grade) quality of titanium that professional piercers use. If your piercings done by needles were constantly infected you either went to a dirty piercer or didn't take care of the piercing properly (improper aftercare, changing them too early, swimming/emerging them underwater, sleeping on them, etc.).
By EricaHart
On 10/08/2011 18:30:27
Claire's has single use guns and studs with a sharp tip. I'm not saying it's a good thing and by no means advocating it, but I guess my individual experience has colored my opinion a bit.
I don't even have my ears pierced yet and was planning on getting my ears done at the mall... because I'm SURE it's cheaper than at the local tattoo/piercing place that charges I think $50ish per piercing (except for Thursdays, then it's buy 1 get 1 on same person free) This whole thread has me a little nervous to go to the mall for this now, but if I do, I'll go to Claire's here and ask if they also use single-use guns. If/when I get my nose, belly button or anything else pierced... THEN I will definitely go to the tattoo/piercing place here... and on a Thursday.
By Kekoa
On 10/08/2011 18:57:32
[q=EricaHart]
Claire's has single use guns and studs with a sharp tip. I'm not saying it's a good thing and by no means advocating it, but I guess my individual experience has colored my opinion a bit.
I don't even have my ears pierced yet and was planning on getting my ears done at the mall... because I'm SURE it's cheaper than at the local tattoo/piercing place that charges I think $50ish per piercing (except for Thursdays, then it's buy 1 get 1 on same person free) This whole thread has me a little nervous to go to the mall for this now, but if I do, I'll go to Claire's here and ask if they also use single-use guns. If/when I get my nose, belly button or anything else pierced... THEN I will definitely go to the tattoo/piercing place here... and on a Thursday.[/q] If you cannot afford to get a piercing done properly, WAIT. For the millionth time, the issue is NOT sterilization. Most places use single use guns. The issue is that the jewelry is inappropriate and harmful to the ear and the way the gun works (forcing an earring, as even piercing earrings are too blunt in comparison to a needle) is painful and damaging to the ear. It's dangerous, just wait and get it done the right way.
By Brittany
On 10/08/2011 20:03:34
Why in the world would someone want to go the cheap route when doing something potentially harmful to their body? I just don't get it. It's simple - a. Employees at Claire's are poorly trained and know nothing about piercings. b. The jewelry length and material are not appropriate for unhealed piercings. c. They tell you improper aftercare and cleaning information d. The gun causes unnecessary trauma. So even ignoring the sterilization issue if you go with a single use gun, [b]guns still suck.[/b] Come on now people, this is your body we're talking about. Don't you want to take care of it?
By EricaHart
On 10/09/2011 01:02:13
Ok... I'm convinced, after reading more replies in this thread and the "It's not mean..." thread here http://www.dance.net/topic/6366290/1/Body-Art/It-s-Not-Mean-to-be-Informative-Stop-Spreading-Incorrect-Information.html&replies=4 It just seems excessive to pay that much for a mere single piercing per earlobe... even on the buy 1 get 1 days where both would cost $50. But I AM convinced. YES I wanted to save money... even when doing semi permanent things to my body because I'm so poor and prefer to spend more money on dance classes and events. Priorities... $50 is... a little over 4 classes at the current price I pay :/
By Believe
On 10/09/2011 09:48:35
^Would you go to an "underground" doctor to get a procedure just because it's cheaper? Messing with punching holes through your flesh, especially if you're a dancer who needs to be healthy, seems like something that isn't worth saving, what, ten bucks? The piercing place I go to only charges $45 for a set of 16g lobes piercings anyway. Mega cheap, and I know that my piercings will be healthy and that I have my piercer a text or short drive away should I have any questions.
By natasha_neason
On 07/02/2012 14:09:05
I had all mine done with a Gun at Claires and never any probs but it is always good to research anything before going ahead so thasnks for the info, perhaps im just one of the lucky ones

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 01/08/2022 09:53:28