Forum: Arts / Body Art

Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:13 AM
^Wrong, wrong, wrong. Guns cannot be sterilized so I don't know why you're happy with that. It doesn't matter if a needle causes blood because a new needle will always be used on each customer and any blood in the area (which is rare) is cleaned up.

Guns are not good, did you read the post? The people using them are hardly and poorly trained, the types of jewelry suck both in metal and size, the aftercare information they will give you is so wrong, they don't create a proper hole. So yes, even for lobe piercings it is always best to go to a trained professional piercer.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 AM
That's wonderful. However I would like to point out that all trained professional piercers in Australia will use a gun. Yes, I said TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS. They will use guns. Trained professional piercers use guns. They don't give wrong aftercare information either, that's just making a huge generalisation!

And one more time in case you missed it, TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS USE GUNS.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Trout Comments: 897, member since Mon Nov 08, 2010
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 01:20 AM
^I think the point she's trying to convey is that trained professionals use guns?

I have six piercings in my ears and all were done by guns. When I had them done I didn't even know that needle piercing for ears was an option. I really wish I would have.

I struggled with infections in all the piercings for months after they were pierced, and I still get an occasional piercing infection today even though I got them pierced six years ago. The third piercing in my right ear wasn't done correctly and it's hard to get an earring through it because you have to wiggle it around to find the path, and if I leave one out for more than two days it starts to close.

I really regret not having my piercings done with a needle. I wish I would have known.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 01:34 AM
mandakp wrote:

That's wonderful. However I would like to point out that all trained professional piercers in Australia will use a gun. Yes, I said TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS. They will use guns. Trained professional piercers use guns. They don't give wrong aftercare information either, that's just making a huge generalisation!

And one more time in case you missed it, TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS USE GUNS.


Then they are flat out doing it wrong. It's not all about sterilization or incorrect aftercare, it's about the mechanics of the piercing. The way a gun works is traumatizing and damaging to the ear.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Lauretta Comments: 1048, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 01:35 AM
mandakp wrote:

That's wonderful. However I would like to point out that all trained professional piercers in Australia will use a gun. Yes, I said TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS. They will use guns. Trained professional piercers use guns. They don't give wrong aftercare information either, that's just making a huge generalisation!

And one more time in case you missed it, TRAINED PROFESSIONAL PIERCERS USE GUNS.


I found this quite a shocking statement, so I decided to investigate. Turns out that you're right, for the main. I found loads of stuff on official government websites about how piercing guns are okay (and how going to the shopping centre is fine, If they have as much training as the shopping centre piercers do in the UK then it's definitely not!) but I did find one piercer which has decided specifically to use a needle over a gun. I won't link in case there's some NSFW i've missed but they're called Primal Urge, located in Perth. Their faq section under the about tab states that they use needles over guns.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By PattyPremium member Comments: 916, member since Wed Jul 12, 2006
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 04:11 AM
Edited by Patty (162885) on 2011-09-19 04:13:25
I'm in Melbourne and the studio I go to does not use guns. At all. Never. All piercers there are very vocal about how bad guns are and they are always educating people and fixing mistakes caused by guns.

A real "trained professional piercer" would not use a gun. It's sad that there are so many so-called piercing studios around Melbourne that still have such bad practices but I guess a lot of people prefer the "cheap" option to the best option.

To quote the studio I go to, "Ear piercing guns should never be used to pierce anything" and "Currently anyone can be a piercer. There isn’t a formal qualification or legal requirement (in Australia)*". (Found here)

*Note: I do not now how accurate this information is. This was written a few years ago but if anyone wants to know I can ask the owner.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 08:13 PM
Trout wrote:


I struggled with infections in all the piercings for months after they were pierced, and I still get an occasional piercing infection today even though I got them pierced six years ago. The third piercing in my right ear wasn't done correctly and it's hard to get an earring through it because you have to wiggle it around to find the path, and if I leave one out for more than two days it starts to close.

I really regret not having my piercings done with a needle. I wish I would have known.


It's funny you say that because I have four piercings done by guns, and 2 by needles, and the needle piercings gave me the most grief. My gun ones are perfect, healed quickly, never got infected, and I can leave earrings out for weeks and they don't close up. My last needle piercing is shocking, I got it done 6 months ago and it's still not healed properly, it's constantly getting infected, and I have done nothing to it differently than with my other piercings. My other needle one was troublesome as well, but not quite as much as this current one.

I stand by what I say. Yes, I know guns can be less accurate, but that can be improved by opting for titatium earrings over stainless steel. Any professional piercers I went to only use guns for lobes, they never do it for higher than a second piercing, in case they get too close to the cartilage. But you are NOT going to get hepatitis by getting your ear pierced with a gun. If you do, you probably went to a very very dodgy place, using a crappy gun. If I could do it over again, I'd definitely stick with the gun.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 09:09 PM
Dude, you're completely missing the point.
Gun piercing is bad because rather than piercing a HOLE through your ear, it wedges its way through causing tons of blunt trauma and pissing your ear off. Your gun piercings may have healed, but that is an EXCEPTION not the norm. Gun piercing is not a good idea, it's horrid for your ears, even if some of them turn out okay.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:26 PM
And to add...

Titanium ear rings do nothing to add to accuracy of the piercing gun. And usually the titanium ear rings used by a piercing gun are no where near the (implant grade) quality of titanium that professional piercers use.

If your piercings done by needles were constantly infected you either went to a dirty piercer or didn't take care of the piercing properly (improper aftercare, changing them too early, swimming/emerging them underwater, sleeping on them, etc.).
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By EricaHart Comments: 27, member since Wed Oct 05, 2011
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 06:30 PM
PinUpGirl wrote:

Claire's has single use guns and studs with a sharp tip. I'm not saying it's a good thing and by no means advocating it, but I guess my individual experience has colored my opinion a bit.


I don't even have my ears pierced yet and was planning on getting my ears done at the mall... because I'm SURE it's cheaper than at the local tattoo/piercing place that charges I think $50ish per piercing (except for Thursdays, then it's buy 1 get 1 on same person free)

This whole thread has me a little nervous to go to the mall for this now, but if I do, I'll go to Claire's here and ask if they also use single-use guns.

If/when I get my nose, belly button or anything else pierced... THEN I will definitely go to the tattoo/piercing place here... and on a Thursday.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 06:57 PM
EricaHart wrote:

PinUpGirl wrote:

Claire's has single use guns and studs with a sharp tip. I'm not saying it's a good thing and by no means advocating it, but I guess my individual experience has colored my opinion a bit.


I don't even have my ears pierced yet and was planning on getting my ears done at the mall... because I'm SURE it's cheaper than at the local tattoo/piercing place that charges I think $50ish per piercing (except for Thursdays, then it's buy 1 get 1 on same person free)

This whole thread has me a little nervous to go to the mall for this now, but if I do, I'll go to Claire's here and ask if they also use single-use guns.

If/when I get my nose, belly button or anything else pierced... THEN I will definitely go to the tattoo/piercing place here... and on a Thursday.


If you cannot afford to get a piercing done properly, WAIT. For the millionth time, the issue is NOT sterilization. Most places use single use guns. The issue is that the jewelry is inappropriate and harmful to the ear and the way the gun works (forcing an earring, as even piercing earrings are too blunt in comparison to a needle) is painful and damaging to the ear. It's dangerous, just wait and get it done the right way.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Oct 08, 2011 08:03 PM
Why in the world would someone want to go the cheap route when doing something potentially harmful to their body? I just don't get it.

It's simple -

a. Employees at Claire's are poorly trained and know nothing about piercings.
b. The jewelry length and material are not appropriate for unhealed piercings.
c. They tell you improper aftercare and cleaning information
d. The gun causes unnecessary trauma.

So even ignoring the sterilization issue if you go with a single use gun, guns still suck.

Come on now people, this is your body we're talking about. Don't you want to take care of it?
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By EricaHart Comments: 27, member since Wed Oct 05, 2011
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 01:02 AM
Ok... I'm convinced, after reading more replies in this thread and the "It's not mean..." thread here www.dance.net . . .

It just seems excessive to pay that much for a mere single piercing per earlobe... even on the buy 1 get 1 days where both would cost $50. But I AM convinced. YES I wanted to save money... even when doing semi permanent things to my body because I'm so poor and prefer to spend more money on dance classes and events. Priorities... $50 is... a little over 4 classes at the current price I pay :/
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By Believemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1855, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:48 AM
^Would you go to an "underground" doctor to get a procedure just because it's cheaper?

Messing with punching holes through your flesh, especially if you're a dancer who needs to be healthy, seems like something that isn't worth saving, what, ten bucks?

The piercing place I go to only charges $45 for a set of 16g lobes piercings anyway. Mega cheap, and I know that my piercings will be healthy and that I have my piercer a text or short drive away should I have any questions.
re: JUST SAY NO to the gun!
By natasha_neason Comments: 23, member since Thu May 12, 2011
On Mon Jul 02, 2012 02:09 PM
I had all mine done with a Gun at Claires and never any probs but it is always good to research anything before going ahead so thasnks for the info, perhaps im just one of the lucky ones
Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch