Popular Ballet

I spilt water on sole of my pointe shoes! by Dancerfor12years
I have spilt water on the soles of my pointe shoes, it doesnt look like it will come off!! Can anyone help me!?

Forum: General / Tell dance.net

Tell dance.net
SITE RULES: A Definitive Guide to DDN take two! (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7167, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Tue Aug 22, 2006 04:24 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-08-22 16:26:19 typo
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-08-22 16:27:07 new sticky
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-08-22 16:36:14 Spelling
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2007-03-20 17:44:07 typos
Made unsticky by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-06-04 12:10:13
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-01-30 14:25:57 added thought.
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-02-03 14:27:16 added thought.
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-09-13 09:13:43 ...
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2009-09-13 09:14:26 fixed bold title.
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2010-08-23 16:19:08 Added info

Hey, all,

Calypso had originally posted this as the definitive site guide. We have found that it needed a bit of tweaking and adding to.

We've had just enough questions here and there to spend a little time to clarify the rules here. All the below is encased in our TOS (terms of service), and every member here agreed to follow them. We thought it might be a good idea to list them all in one place.

If you think of additional things we have forgotten, please DO NOT post them in this thread. Instead, click the "mod" button so we can add it to the post and not bury it in the responses.

Netspeak. OK, This is netspeak ---> "u r kewl... wut skool do u go to?". Netspeak is the deliberate shortening or misspelling of words. It is not permitted anywhere on this site. Not on the boards, either in original posts or replies, and not in chat. Period. Please take the time to type those few extra letters. Moderators will completely remove posts that contain netspeak. This means you can either take the time to type the full words in the first place, or you can totally retype your post.

Cross- posting. This is when someone places an identical post in more than one place. We don't allow that here. Please choose the BEST place for your post the first time around; if you don't get the responses you seek, please click the mod button on your post and ask the mods to move it. Multiple posts are generally removed, as they take up needed server space.

Karma for photos. Not allowed. That's it, really. If the post goes on to be informative (for example, there is a picture of an arabesque and the post details how to achieve it and exercises and such) then it may qualify. Pictures, by themselves or with very little typing, do not qualify for karma.

Flooding. Don't flood the boards. Space post out to give others a chance to share. It makes it easier for everyone. And please don't post the same topic a million and a half times.

Posting photos that have nothing to do with the topic of the post that has been posted. Not allowed …period end of story. If you want to show a picture of your niece or daughter or your sisters cousins former room mate in her new cossie then please feel free to do so in your avatar. Any such unrelated to the topic photo’s in a post will be removed.

Profanity is not permitted at DDN. We consider anything that makes the reader say or think the intended word to be profanity. Let's pretend for a minute that the word "dance" is a dirty word. So- people should not type "dance", and they should also not type "d*%$e", or abbreviate it (like "d- off!").

Advertising in the general forums is not allowed... it's simply not fair to get free advertising from DDN in this manner, and it wastes space. Ad space can be purchased here and that is the way to do it. If you make costumes or dancewear, do not attempt to post in the forums or have others post for you- or get sneaky and post websites or other information to lead others to your business from dance.net. Our forums exist to provide an outlet for used costume sales. New costumes, or costume companies, must pay for advertising.

POSTING IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS LOOKS LIKE SHOUTING. Please don't do it. It CAN be effective if used for emphasis (like in this sentence!), but entire posts in caps are very hard on the eyes. Mods will remove posts from repeat abusers of the caps lock key.

Other forms of typing that are highly annoying to read and decipher are posting in ToGgLe letters, Posting With Every Word Capitalized, etc. Please simply type the way you would to submit a paper to your English class. Overuse of smilies or colors or accents will result in post removal along with the other mentioned typing issues. If you have more than one color or smiley per line of type- it's too much.

Decorating Titles may look pretty to you, but makes the website very hard to read. ++~~**WOW**~~++ ^^**THIS**^^{{!!**IS**!!}}%%**HARD**%%==@@**TO**@@==##**READ**##. Please refrain from doing this. Your post can be edited or removed because of it.

Shared accounts: We don't really have anything against shared accounts as long as people are open about the sharing and understand that they each are responsible for anything that happens with that account. "It wasn't me, but my three-legged brother who did it" is never a valid excuse.

Mod buttons: These buttons are wonderful things. They alert mods to situations that need to be fixed or attended to in some way. However, abuse of these buttons is not a wonderful thing. Please do not abuse these buttons, or click them simply to see if they work. They really do, we promise you.

Netiquette in the forums and in the debate/philosophy boards: In general, it is considered polite to surf a little first before making a post. It's likely that your question may already be in discussion and posting a duplicate topic is silly. Mods will generally remove newer posts while an old or active thread on the same topic is around. General common courtesy is expected in all forums- no name calling, or insulting/ threatening any other member here. Debates are meant to be debates. If you cannot post intelligently and BACK UP your opinion (don't just post your opinion and leave), then perhaps the debate boards are not for you.

As an addition to the above, Please do not read the first post in a topic, then scroll to the end and just add your opinion. A thread is an ongoing conversation. To come in at the end and toss in your opinion (which was probably debated 4 pages back) is called seagulling- because it's kind of like a seagull just flew in and, well, you know. Please read all the responses before making your reply.

Hijacking threads: This happens when a member replies on a thread in an off-topic manner that distracts from the original purpose. This is highly discouraged. If you have something off-topic to say, it should probably be said in another thread or a PM.

Private messages: Private messages are meant to be just that, PRIVATE! Posting private messages on the forums will get you temporarily or permanently banned from the site. If you have a disagreement with a member and you feel it is becoming harassing you have the ability to block them from contacting you through private messages and you should also refrain from sending them any private messages. Spamming members through private messages or violating our Terms Of Service by asking for pictures, other personal information, or trying to lure them from ddn will result in a permanent ban.

Moderator reports: If you have a question or concern about a moderator action please contact the moderator through private message to address the situation. Calling out moderators on the board is not allowed. You also have the option of contacting another moderator about the situation or the owner of the site. Moderators are volunteers of the site and we ask that you respect them and the work they do to keep the site up and running for free.

Descriptive titles: When you make a new post, tell us what we're reading! "What is..." is a TERRIBLE title. What is what? Type enough so we can tell whether we should read the post or not. Try "What is a sissone?" instead. That way, people who have no clue don't waste their time on a post that they can't answer. Also, a title is very important; do not clutter your title with squiggly lines or characters that do not describe the post inside.

Star farming: Any post that does not contribute to the discussion, or is a waste of space simply to increase a member's post count is star farming. This is highly frowned upon. If you really want to be a full member here, then why is the first 20 posts such a big deal? Participate, and it will come. What good are 5,000 "thanks" posts? Please do not start posts thanking people for replying to your thread. If you really feel thanking someone is necessary then private message that member.

Addition to Star Farming: Posting to bump a post up to the top, or thanking for replies both qualify as star farming. If a post does not stay near the top, guess what? People find other posts more interesting. Don't take it personally- instead, why not get involved in another discussion, or start a new thread on a different topic.

For Sale Forums: If you are not interested in buying an item DO NOT COMMENT in the for sale forums. Comments that say, "This costume is so pretty, Wish I could afford it, or Too bad its the wrong size" will be removed. People get an e-mail alert when someone responds to their for sale thread, they make a point to get on ddn to contact a potential buyer and it is someone not interested. The comments will be removed and your comment total reset.

Salutes: Currently, only a face salute will earn you a salute icon. Rules for doing a valid one can be found in the salutes forums. You must have one of these before posting pictures of yourself at DDN. One alternative is to post a body salute publicly (with the face obscured), and send the moderators a face salute privately.

The TOS and sign-up state that children under 13 are not permitted. Only through direct parental supervision and and guidance are children allowed technically. Hence, the reason we allow parents and their children to share a single account.

Contacting members: You may not contact members for personal information. Do not ask for stretching photos or phone numbers or anything else of that nature. We take our members' safety very seriously, and soliciting information, photographs or videos is serious business.

Now, we mods are nice people and we'd much rather be happily posting alongside you rather than removing posts for netspeak and such. However, when we must take action, we will generally follow this format:

1st offense: warning
2nd offense: depending on the problem, either a second warning or temp ban
3rd offense: temp to permanent ban

Now, there are some offenses that we don't monkey around with that do not follow the above. Any member who is deliberately causing trouble from the get-go will be banned immediately, and also people deemed to be predators. People who threaten or abuse other members without provocation will also be removed without the process we use for most offenses here.

Most of the stuff here is common sense, when you think about it. If you have a question, please don't hesitate to contact us. Hopefully, this will help everyone be on the same page here and make your time here at DDN be more about your dancing life!

the mod squad

7 Replies to SITE RULES: A Definitive Guide to DDN take two!

re: SITE RULES: A Definitive Guide to DDN take two! en>fr fr>en
By LuthienPremium member Comments: 3670, member since Tue May 30, 2006
On Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:57 AM
Yay! Rules are always a good thing. I have a questions about salutes...you said you could post a public body salute and send a private one to the mods...how would you do that? Do you PM a mod with your salute? If so, who?

Thanks!

~Luthien
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Wed Aug 30, 2006 01:42 PM
Thanks for spending your time to post this upto date rules thread

Hope people read it and take it in

Thanks for all the good work

Mama DD's xxx
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7167, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 07:48 AM
Yay! Rules are always a good thing. I have a questions about salutes...you said you could post a public body salute and send a private one to the mods...how would you do that? Do you PM a mod with your salute?

Just hit the mod button and ask.....it will go to all of us and we can direct you from there.
By LuthienPremium member Comments: 3670, member since Tue May 30, 2006
On Sat Sep 02, 2006 06:58 PM
Mod button on what? Like, this post? And ask who would I send a private salute too?

Hmm. Okay. I can do that, it's not too complicated. :P I might end up not doing a salute though..parental permission and all that.

Thanks!

~Luthien
By TrunkZy Comments: 113, member since Wed Sep 20, 2006
On Mon Oct 30, 2006 02:10 PM
Very informative post! I had no idea what Star Farming was before now. Also I am very pleased that there is a standard around here unlike other sites.
I know you came around the topic of Cross-posting, but what about having two of the same posts (slightly altered) in the same place? Should one notify the Mods to delete it or ask the one who posted it?
Selling Costumes en>fr fr>en
By JackR Comments: 45, member since Thu Jan 05, 2006
On Wed Nov 01, 2006 05:46 AM
I have been a new member for over a year and have bought a number of outfits from DanceNet but I do not know how to post things to becomae a "Full member". Also, I am prob being really thick but I now need to sell some costumes. Can someone can back to me and advise me how I do this? Or where to look on web site?
Thanks.
jackie.rostill@bbsrc.ac.uk
By TheHobbitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 197, member since Sat Sep 16, 2006
On Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:11 PM
quick question,
is it ok for me to be here on DDN? I'm under ten years old and my parents said that it is ok for me to be here but they do not check up on me on DDN constantley. is it still okay for me to be here?

rj

ReplySendWatch