Poll: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: Which came first? Chicken or egg?
By Cosine Comments: 241, member since Sat Apr 26, 2008
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 05:45 PM
Edited by Cosine (195435) on 2008-06-25 17:48:55
On the contrary, I do believe in evolution, Panic and Rockstep. For these dilemmas, I prefer to take the side of religion, as my friend has; however, I do have a theory to back me.

I find the question quite unclear, but I assume that the said chicken and egg are of the same species. If so, a chicken should be around to hatch the egg. On the other hand, if another type of bird lays a mutated egg that hatches into the first chicken, the egg came first. As I suppose the chicken and egg mentioned are of the same species, I stand by my first explanation.

Panic and Rockstep, I'm sure a lesson in careful reading would do either of you no harm. Please do not be too quick to make inaccurate inferences. I regret not clarifying sooner, but at least now you know that my conclusion was not a blind one, and neither was my friend's.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 06:05 PM
^We read exactly what you wrote.

Anyway, this is a nonsense question like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" It purposefully has no answer. It's just supposed to make you think.
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2400, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Sun Jul 06, 2008 05:55 PM
I think that as the chicken apeared on earth, the shock of the fact made the chicken birth an egg (hmm..birth is that theright word?). So I think they both came at...wait for it...THE SAME TIME!

~Madison
By rosinlover Comments: 473, member since Fri Sep 08, 2006
On Sun Jul 20, 2008 04:28 PM
It depends on if you are religious or not ;)

britt
By lottiekinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 701, member since Sun Jun 03, 2007
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 06:15 AM
This question gives me a headache!
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4773, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 02:01 PM
Being the philosophy nerd I am, I have to go with Aristotle and say the chicken.
By twinkletoes08member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2082, member since Tue Feb 18, 2003
On Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 PM
Chicken!
It got plonked on earth, and then had a magic egg, and made more chickens. LOL
x
By Irish_Danzer_NZmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 764, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 08:45 PM
Which came first, the chicken nugget or the Egg Mc Muffin?
Aha, Maccas is even in on it. :P
By alicelovestodacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 04:06 PM
arrgghh I hate this question! i say egg though, we've just done a more complex look into evolution in chemistry (+ although i already knew this i understand more now) single cell organisms were created(i guess you could say that) first, + the cells of a egg would be much less complex than that of a chicken, so i say egg. but chickens have just evolved fromsome dinosaur species so it will be the egg :)x
By Grufflemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1331, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 08:27 AM
I think it was the chicken, because humans were not babies, were they? lol xx
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:28 AM
Easy answer. If you believe in creationism, the chicken obviously came first. Adam and Eve didn't come from a womb (and thus don't have belly buttons!), and the chicken didn't come from an egg.

If you believe in evolution, the egg came first. Sure, in theory a chicken needs to take care of the egg and the chick and, of course, lay the thing in the first place, but it would have been the predecessor to the chicken that actually laid the egg and took care of it. So the first chicken did come from an egg.

So, the question is: evolution or creation?

Comment #8321549 deleted

By dancinislife0607member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1422, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Fri Sep 04, 2009 09:54 PM
Rocky13 wrote:

And if you beleive in God and his creation of the universe then it says that God created all ANIMALS which must have included chickens!

And even if you don't, you might believe in evolution, which would suggest that the chicken evolved from something else and then layed the egg.

So no matter which you believe, the chicken came first. Although I like dust2dust's point.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 06:12 PM
According to the Bible, which I believe, the chicken came first.But I clicked on the wrong thing and accidently voted for the egg. :C
re: Which came first? Chicken or egg? (karma: 1)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 06:36 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2009-09-10 18:39:40
If the chicken laid an egg...who was the first person to boil it and eat it? " Let me eat the thing that comes out of its bottom area"
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1463, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 06:39 PM
It depends on the specifics of the question. If we're talking about the chicken in it's modern form, then the egg came first. Because the closest ancestor of the chicken laid an egg with a mutation that turned it into the modern chicken. That egg hatched and went on to pass its mutation on to it's children.

However, if we're talking about the oldest chicken ancestor, then the chicken came first. The oldest ancestor must have been some kind of single-celled microorganism reproducing through asexual cell division. Since there was no egg, the chicken came first.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 08:00 PM
dancinqt5013 wrote:

Mon Sep 03, 2007 07:00 PM
It depends on how you look at it. If you believe in creation, then God created everything the way it is, and therefore created the chicken first. If you believe in evolution, then the egg came first, it just wasn't laid by the chicken, but rather a chicken's ancestor.

dancinqt5013 two years later wrote:

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:28 AM
Easy answer. If you believe in creationism, the chicken obviously came first. Adam and Eve didn't come from a womb (and thus don't have belly buttons!), and the chicken didn't come from an egg.

If you believe in evolution, the egg came first. Sure, in theory a chicken needs to take care of the egg and the chick and, of course, lay the thing in the first place, but it would have been the predecessor to the chicken that actually laid the egg and took care of it. So the first chicken did come from an egg.

So, the question is: evolution or creation?

FAIL!!! This thread is so old I posted almost the exact same thing twice! LOLOLOL!!!

Anyway, yeah. Read the other two replies by me. I personally am an evolutionist, so I think the egg came first though.
By DancerAndromedamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 657, member since Sat Oct 25, 2008
On Thu Sep 10, 2009 08:42 PM
The problem with this question is, from an evolutionary pointe of view, that a chicken wasn't an instant mutation from a totally different species. Chickens gradually evolved, so we would need to draw the line between chicken and non-chicken. This would have to be based on extremely subtle differences, which we would be unable to determine solely from our fossil record. So when did the chicken even come??

Aside from that, I wholeheartedly agree with dust2dust's answer, because not only were eggs around long before any type of chicken, but the egg is the first thing to contain the chicken mutation in the first place (and don't say that there was a chicken inside the egg, because it wasn't immediately fertilized).

And another thing:

m_rc wrote:

A circle has no beginning.

You got that from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Finally someone else who quotes the series!

*Eh hem*... anyway... the egg, I believe.

Maddie
By TobyInWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1142, member since Sat Mar 29, 2008
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 03:36 AM
I think they both came at the same time. :)
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 04:21 AM
This is a fun game of semantics, which depends entirely on how you define "chicken" and "egg" and "first".
By Exxe Comments: 59, member since Fri Jul 09, 2010
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 04:59 PM
Chicken because an egg needs its mother to be warm, be fed, and taken care of. Creationist point of view :)
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Tue Aug 03, 2010 05:17 PM
^Not sure how you revived a thread from a year ago :/

But here is the (supposed) answer!

www.msnbc.msn.com . . .
By dancer_all_daymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2326, member since Thu Feb 12, 2004
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:57 AM
^^^^Here is what I don't understand about that MSN article: they say the chicken came first because the egg had to come from a chicken with a specific protein. But where did THAT chicken from with its special protein??
By TC_DANCE_CLOSETPremium member Comments: 50, member since Fri Oct 15, 2010
On Wed Jan 26, 2011 01:13 PM
well we have egg for breakfast and chicken for dinner,so i would go for the egg first
By pointeprincess4 Comments: 56, member since Sun Apr 24, 2005
On Sat Jan 29, 2011 01:51 AM
Egg-laying organisms, one of which became the chicken we know and love today.
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch