Forum: General / Ballroom / Ballroom

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: So! You Wanna Start Ballroom Dancing!!
By sasha1656 Comments: 70, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:37 PM
I'm already doing ballet and hip-hop, but this sounds like so much fun! I wanna try it really bad. It seems like it would be boring at first though.
By HipHopDemon Comments: 25, member since Sun Jul 24, 2005
On Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:47 PM
I have just started ballroom I am the only boy. I am 8. I really like it.
Love Ellis
By maiaelizabeth Comments: 23, member since Wed Oct 03, 2007
On Tue Oct 16, 2007 06:37 AM
my daughter has just turned 7 and has been dancing for 1 year, the competition post you are going to do would be so helpful for new starters. Some of the mums who turned up at our last competition didnt have a clue what to expect even with things that I take for granted like doing their kids hair, makeup, and what to expect from the day etc. Its a bit daunting.

Comment #6595563 deleted
Removed by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-11-09 18:56:14 free advertising not permitted on this forum

By Beautiful_Ballet Comments: 36, member since Thu Dec 06, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 01:18 AM
Hey, I loved the movie Strictly Ballroom but is ballroom dancing actually fun? It looks very very strict and tiring!!! I see alot of young people posting blogs and stuff, I thought Ballroom was like an old peoples dance! I've learnt something new today!!!!

:):)
By danceattack_roz Comments: 32, member since Sat Dec 29, 2007
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 05:10 AM
Excellent topic! It was really easy for me when I started, as I just had to tag along with my brother, who'd been dancing 2 years already. As for male partners, well I've only just got 1 after more than 5 years! lol! But yes, well done on a fab post!
By danceract Comments: 26, member since Sun Nov 18, 2007
On Tue Apr 22, 2008 06:12 PM
this is an excellent post. I'm currently studying ballroom, but would like to get more serious about it.
Also, I'm going to my first charity ball this weekend, so hopefully I won't make a total fool of myself.
By danzergal101 Comments: 54, member since Mon May 26, 2008
On Mon May 26, 2008 08:14 PM
WOW! That's alot to prepare for ballroom. We have it at our dance studio and it does definatley look pretty fun!
By IrishBollyDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 79, member since Thu May 15, 2008
On Thu May 29, 2008 01:49 PM
Great post! I'm an irish dancer who has wanted to learn almost every other style of dance in the world, but who hasn't had the opportunity yet! So thanks for the informative post! Hopefully I'll be taking ballroom classes soon.
By sushi Comments: 63, member since Thu Oct 07, 2004
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:22 PM
thank you so much this help because I am thinking of doing ballroom dancing
By twinkletows2 Comments: 22, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Tue Aug 26, 2008 03:55 PM
Hi Heidi
Thank you for the detailed info for Ballroom Dance.

I'm new at taking classes and I've been taking various classes in both Ballroom and Latin just to see what resinates with me. I figure that after that I will determine which I like enough to persue further.

If I wanted to eventually train for competition, do you have any suggestions as to how to discern which dances to focus on?
By tapndjazzchick64 Comments: 48, member since Tue Aug 05, 2008
On Fri Aug 29, 2008 05:28 PM
thanks so much for all the information! I'm thinking of starting ballroom and this got me convinced!

Though I do have a ?, what styles of ballroom do you recommend?

Thanks again!
By flyingwind66member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 382, member since Wed Mar 14, 2007
On Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:06 AM
Hi, I'm a ballet dancer, my boyfriend wants to learn ballroom and I've never thought about it before but I thought I'd give it a shot... it sounds like it would be just fine for me to go to class in character shoes but no one has said anything about difference in height between partners XD

I'm 5'1" and my boyfriend is 6' and well... I know that having a partner of a similar height matters is some types of dance but not others so I was wondering if ballroom is one of those styles where you have to be of similar height to your partner.

thanks in advance!
By LiveforBallroom Comments: 28, member since Sun Sep 28, 2008
On Wed Dec 24, 2008 07:11 PM
Very Informative- everyone that is interested in ballroom/latin dancing should deffinetly give it a try, you won't regret it!

I wish instead of doing ballet and jazz earlier, that I would have started with latin/ballroom!
By Bella_rina1993 Comments: 23, member since Sun Nov 19, 2006
On Sat Jan 03, 2009 02:41 AM
Thanks Heidi, that was awesome! I've done ballet pretty much all my life, and love it, but I would like to take up ballroom and latin (I was inspired by Dancing with the Stars haha) because it looks so cool, and it would be good to try something new! I think I could probably pick up on the steps quickly because I am already an experienced dancer. Thanks again, I'm going to start looking for a good b&l studio now!! :)
By ellie94x Comments: 39, member since Wed Sep 24, 2008
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:48 AM
Really nice post!
Thanks x
By squella Comments: 24, member since Thu Jul 24, 2008
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 05:57 AM
another great post for those who are looking to start ballroom, or are already dancing and just needed some more information.

I found it very useful

Thanks
By xamyhartx Comments: 20, member since Mon Feb 09, 2009
On Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:06 AM
hey
this is a really good and helpful post
well done :)
xxx
By MolliesMam Comments: 24, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Fri May 01, 2009 06:38 AM
This is a great thread. Very helpful for anyone new to the world of ballroom dancing. Everything you need to know in one place.
By TDM929 Comments: 10, member since Fri Jun 12, 2009
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 08:26 AM
Hi everyone,
does anybody know a good ballroom studio in nyc for latin that has classes on the weekends? For beginners?
By yasfromgoodmans Comments: 30, member since Sun Jun 28, 2009
On Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:51 AM
:D
By daniellaBienek1 Comments: 21, member since Tue Jul 21, 2009
On Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:34 AM
great post includes alot of information really explaines alot
By alanbstardmp Comments: 22, member since Sun Mar 15, 2009
On Fri Jul 31, 2009 06:11 AM
dapenda wrote:

Great post, you must have put a lot of thought into putting together this dancing faq.

yes it looks that way
By Olivia5Dances Comments: 14, member since Tue Aug 11, 2009
On Mon Aug 17, 2009 02:58 PM
excellent post :) I've been ballroom dancing for a year now and I totally agree with all of this. Onething I might add is DO NOT BE NERVOUS! Lol if you are it'll show, remember this is your first time so your bound to forget things and make mistakes :) Dancing with a partner is intimidating, especially if they've been dancing longer than you but remember, all great dancers start at zero :) also it helps to watch videos of professional dancers, this helps with attitude technique to give the right feeling to the right styles, something as simple as a flick of the wrist or the tilt of your head can change the overall look of your performance. Never give up, it takes practise to get the feeling of certain styles to be natural, good luck :)
By ghirl Comments: 31, member since Sat May 09, 2009
On Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:49 AM
Really enjoyed reading your post. I am an adult who used to do ballroom and latin american dance as a child and reading your post brought it all back. Good luck with your dancing.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch