Forum: General / Travel - Photos

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

Snowy destinations?
By wendybird
On Sat Sep 09, 2006 06:51 AM

I want to suprise my husband for our anniversary this year and take him to a place where he can see snow. He has lived in Florida his whole life and has never seen snow. Does anyone know of a fun place to go where there is snow, but is also fun and romantic!!!????

27 Replies to Snowy destinations?

re: Snowy destinations?
By lisskmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 09, 2006 07:16 AM
Japan! Ok, so I'm obsessed with Japan, but it's absolutely breathtaking when it's snowing. Imagine seeing temples and shrines in falling snow...

Ohh, now I've made myself want to go back again...
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 12, 2006 01:50 PM
How about something like an Alaskan cruise? The scenery is absolutly stunning, and you can see it all from a luxury cruise ship(of course most cruise lines have optional on-land excusions etc).

I think your idea is really cute! What a great surprise!

I, however, wish I was one of those people who has never seen snow... :(
By barefootgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 12, 2006 02:14 PM
Alaska is great. You can take a cruise up the inside passage and even see some glaciers. I lived on Kodiak Island for two years, and i know that they do things like fishing tours (my husband and father went on one of these and came back with a tom of salmon and halibut) and bear viewing tours, where you get to go out in a boat to fish, or where you go up in a helicopter and the pilot takes you to places that bears frequent. If he's into natur, it's pretty cool. The thing about those is that they're normally offered during the summer months (June-August), so there isn't usually snow on the ground. I definitely wouldn't recommend Kodiak in any month other than the summer season, though. It's usually cold and damp; when it does snow it usually rains right after so that all you have is a ton of ice.

At the risk of being really cliche, have you considered Niagra Falls during the winter? I've always wanted to visit there, just for the heck of it, and it might be snowy there. That might also be a place where you wouldn't be expected to do winter sports that a sun baby (like myself) wouldn't know how to do.

Or maybe there is a cozy little cottage in Maine somewhere that y'all can hole up in for awhile.

And Canada is a pretty good option. It's really gorgeous up there, and when we drove through in April 2 years ago there was still a whole lot of snow.

I guess a good question would probably be when you would be planning on going. Obviously, you have more options during the winter than the summer. :)
By Lalummember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:12 AM
I'm from Maine :D.

I personally would say Vermont though. It's so cozy with the Sound of Music EVERYTHING. It's a really nice place.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 16, 2006 01:55 PM
Banff or Jasper National Parks in Alberta, Canada. Great skiing, beautiful little hotels, and mountains everywhere. Even I like it, and I've lived just a few hours away for most of my life.
By wendybird
On Sun Sep 17, 2006 07:46 AM
Thank you for your great ideas! That is so funny, cuz I thought of a majority of those ideas, but Maine was one I did not think of. I would like to go in November or December. Thanks again!! I really want to see Niagra Falls in Cananda!!! If you have any other thoughts let me know!
By pretty_n_punk17member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 04:35 PM
Lake Tahoe California and Nevada is beautiful in the winter. Lots of things to do. small towns in the mountias that are a dream when it snows. TONS of stuff to do as well.

Alaska is another good idea I love seeing everything Alaska has to offer!
By HollieErin
On Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:03 AM
I would suggest a train trip across westen Canada. It's amazing you see so many things that you would otherwise never have the chance to view. The mountains are amazing in wintertime, and contrary to popular belief there are a million and one things to do on the tain.
By wannabe_dancer1
On Tue Oct 17, 2006 07:38 PM
nelson b.c in canada thats where i live if you like little towns its great sometimes the snow isnt the best but we have one the the best ski hills in the province with the best food if you dont like to ski. nelson is a little heritage town with a huge art community. thats a really nice idea i hope everything works out and you have a fabulous time.
mahaila
By CrayolaPremium member
On Wed Oct 25, 2006 04:18 PM
Edited by Crayola (123552) on 2006-10-25 16:19:56
I would suggest Banff...It is sooo gorgeous, and I don't know if you and your husband ski (I would assume not since you live in Florida), but I think skiing is so romantic. You can curl up in the lodge in front of the fire place with a cup of hot cocoa after a long day of skiing...am I painting the picture for you!?

Banff, has ski resorts that have instructors available for beginners. When I went I was a beginner (had only been skiing on a pathetic "mountain" once before) I was able to take lessons, and it is great to learn on a REAL mountain.
The two resorts I went to was

Lake Louise
www.skilouise.com

and Sunshine
www.ski.com.au . . .

Here is another Link:
www.skibanff.com

I have been to Niagara Falls, and yes it is a beautiful place, I would rather go in the summer or Fall, there is a lot of tourist things to do that are mostly outside, but If you want a more relaxed getaway it could be a good option for you as oppsed to skiing which would be active.

Let us know where you decide to go!!

~erykah
By StylishFish
On Sun Oct 29, 2006 03:10 AM
Nami Island in South Korea. It's where the popular Korean drama serial "Winter Sonata" was filmed, and a big hit with us in Asia. Winter Sonata's a love story. The island can get very romantic :D
By wendybird
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:03 PM
I'd love to hear more about your town. It sounds sweet! When is the best time of year to visit? Do you know of any fun places to stay?
By wendybird
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:06 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for giving me the links! I will check them out for sure!!
By wendybird
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:08 PM
Oh!!!! Tell me more!!!!!
By wendybird
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 09:10 PM
Oh!!!! Tell me more!!!!!
By Tasha74member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 06, 2006 03:26 PM
I think you should go to New York. Travel to the places that have snow, and maybe the city. Walk around eating hot pretzels, go ice skating in Rokefeller center under the Christmas tree, snuggle up near the Statue of Liberty, and spend some time in the beauitful country side.

Ahhh. Okay, I'm a little obsessed with going to New york someday!
By nelly_5
On Wed Nov 08, 2006 03:49 AM
thats a beautiful picture x
By macthekittymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 14, 2006 07:30 PM
Lapland!
By Luthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 16, 2006 09:38 AM
Scandinavia!
By Yaeli
On Sun Nov 19, 2006 05:13 AM
I agree with Luth - definitely Scandinavia! The most beautiful countries in the world (in my opinion of course :)). I was there in the summer time, but I've seen enough movies and pics of the landscapes there during winter time. Norway is absolutely amazing, winter AND summer. And You can take him to the ice hotel in Sweden (near Kiruna - in Swedish Lapland) which should be a stunning experience and a really special one.

Yaeli
By KalliGirl
On Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 PM
I would have to say Lake Tahoe, try Nevada city it's small but perfect for the holiday season
By Luthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 27, 2006 01:43 PM
Yaeli:

I love scandinavia so much that i now live there! I live in Goteborg,Sweden and im originally from The Netherlands.
By tennisgirl4dance
On Tue Nov 28, 2006 01:44 PM
Breckenridge, Vail or Keystone, Colorado...absolutely beautiful.
Great skiing, cute quaint little towns...very romantic!!!
By ekmal2000member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 16, 2006 06:02 AM
like Garmisch Partenkirchen in Germany very close to Austria, or Åre in Jämtland in sweden, it's where the worldcup in skiing is hold, veryvery good skiing over there :)
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch Draw